If Adam Sandler’s movie “Click” didn’t have the happy end scene where he wakes up, it could’ve been a 2 hour black mirror episode.

spoiler
2.3k comments
4.2k points · 6 months ago

I want to see what else is in the beyond section of bed bath and beyond

So basically Warehouse 13?

That was such an amazing show! Sucks that there isn't another show with similar theme

I’ve not had a chance to check it out, but I’ve heard “The Librarians” does have a similar theme. Wish I could tell you more about it.

I love The Librarians. It's a direct continuation of the Librarian trilogy made-for-tv film series. The film series is the reason I was stoked about the television series, and it's the only live-action series I currently watch.

6 more replies

10 more replies

17 more replies

2 more replies

Oh that's where they keep the coffee mugs

22 more replies

I saw this movie as a kid thinking it was just another comedy only to realize how messed up it was.

It was the first movie to give me legitimate existential dread I think.

not having existential dread as a result of childhood trauma

Pssh, casual

1 more reply

SAME. The concept of helplessly watching your entire life whiz by while a soulless placeholder version of yourself estranged you from everyone you ever cared about was fucking nightmarish to grapple with when I saw it in theaters as a tween. That happy ending did absolutely nothing to ease the dread I felt watching it, and it continued bothering me for a long time afterward.

It’s also worth noting that the analogous “never been born” section of It’s a Wonderful Life only takes up about 30 minutes of actual screen time near the end of the film, while Click makes you sit in the horror for virtually the entire film.

8 more replies

I remember everyone shitting on this movie when it came out but my family liked it. We are Sandler fans who were expecting a comedy. Instead we got a movie that made us all sad

Click and 50 First Dates are the only Sandler movies I really like. Waterboy was quotable, but not really good in any way. Except maybe for Fairuza Balk being in it.

You don’t like Happy Gilmore or Billy Madison?

I think Happy Gilmore was a better movie, but it definitely catered towards my 12 year old brain at the time.

12 more replies

There's a special place in my heart for Waterboy. I can't help but laugh every time I watch it and it's one of my go-to movies for boosting mood. But like you said, it isn't 'good,' just enjoyable.

What about 8 Crazy Nights? I know it's a cartoon but I think it's one of his best films

That’s a technical foul.

11 more replies

39 more replies

7 more replies

It's the only film I've ever cried at.

8 more replies

22 more replies

10.7k points · 6 months ago

That movie is so dark throughout (until the end) that it feels like a studio came in and told them to change the ending. I wonder if, as originally conceived, it ended with him dying alone.

Happens all the time. In the movie Dodgeball they wanted the team to lose in the end, which of course is contrary to most underdog sports movies, but the studios wouldn't allow it. In the end they had to do a happy ending, which is far less funny than if they had just lost imo.

I believe that's why Ben Stiller went on that rant at the end of the credits.

I think that's why the chest of money says "Deus Ex Machina" on it

I never noticed that. That's hilarious.

It's hard to see but you can make it out at 1:24:53 when Vince Vaughn opens the chest.

Did you spend the time finding the exact time stamp, down to the second, just to help people see this?

True hero right here.

He mightve known it just off the top of his head

1 more reply

But couldn't be bothered to post a screen grab for us folks...

2 more replies

Woulda been even better if it was filled with gold wrenches.

211 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Adam Sandler Destroyed every golden wrench

Adamn Sandler has been banned from the trading server

12 more replies

58 more replies

Damn I didn't know that. I always liked the happy ending but if they lost it would've been pretty funny I'm sure

Heck, they could still go with the "I took the money you gave me and bet on the outcome of the match" twist - just bet on the other team.

That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays of for them.

Comment deleted6 months ago(3 children)

1 more reply

Well yeah but his odds would have been terrible instead of 50 to 1 on his money it would be close to the opposite. So it wouldn’t work.

Usually be worse. If the the underdog is like +5000 than the favorite is like -8000. Bookies usually like a 40% juice. Then when odds stabilize they'll reduce juice on both sides.

18 more replies

3 more replies

I think they could have done a "the team loses" ending amusingly...

...but the one they actually did shoot (or, at least, the one that's on the DVD extras) is not a good ending. It's super abrupt. Ben Stiller wins, they celebrate for half a second, freeze frame, credits. It's like someone starts telling a joke, then pauses part-way through the punchline.

I honestly think that ending was a joke for the dvd for the reasons you described.

I mean, we know they originally had a bad ending. We know test audiences hated it. We know they put something they say is the original ending on the DVD, so I assume that's actually the original ending.

2 more replies

I would've been happy if they had ended it by actually just putting on the Thong Song and tearing the place apart when he suggested it.

11 more replies

It wasnt just that the original ending is negative, it was just plain bad. IIRC the original ending was right after the sudden death match, then it goes slow mo and you see the people from globogym celebrating while the average joes look dejected.

Then it just ended. No conclusion, no wrap up, that was it. I wouldnt have even minded if the average joes still lost, but holy shit it definitely did need a new ending.

It actually ended right when Vince was hit. There was no: “You stepped over the line/sudden death” bit.

The sudden death bit was hilarious. I’m glad they changed it.

The fact that Ben Stiller literally flies back 20 feet after being hit and seemingly goes unconscious at the end just lying there was beautiful.

92 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Tbh the happy ending fits the movie better. One movie that as a kid that I remembered that needed a sad ending was 1000 words with Eddie Murphy

I’m in my mid 20s. I guess it felt like a lot longer ago.

21 more replies

49 more replies

1.1k points · 6 months ago

God that movie makes my ugly cry. The guttural sounds that come from my throat when he’s calling for his son are unlike any other sound I make.

Also watching him watch himself completely blow off his dad when he goes into his office and promises to finally show him how the trick works but blows up in his face telling him " I know how the stupid quarter trick works, I've e always known" then he later dies that night.

End the movie there and you got yourself permanent emotional damage nation wide.

It's even worse when he goes back and sees his dad cry as soon as he left

I know! I couldn't stop crying!

1 more reply

I watched the movie when I was like 10/11, that scene fucked me up, I still remember it. That and the graveyard scene. I was up late that night scared of the graveyard scene.

1 more reply

Man I watch a ton of movies and often forget almost every detail. It's been a long time since I saw this and I still remember lots of parts and the fact that the dad was Henry Winkler (right? didn't even look it up.) Good job for an Adam Sandler film.

Adam Sandler is am amazing actor when it's not all slapstick. Have you seen that cobbler movie on Netflix? Top notch.

You know he's loved when it comes down to it. You ser people criticize his shitty moneymakers and people excuse him cashing out while hanging with his friends, but there's so little actual hate. People will never consider what he does now to negate his Happy Gilmore era. Unless he rapes a bunch of people.

I actually only see people hate on him on this very website.

Irl he's always a guilty pleasure.

6 more replies

8 more replies

That's your example of his acting skill?!? Not Punch Drunk Love?!?

8 more replies

2 more replies

Yeah that part was absolutely horrific. Now that my Dad has passed away I'm not sure I could watch that scene.

Stay away from Big Fish. My pops was similar enough to the Dad in Big Fish that I can’t watch it more than once every few years.

4 more replies

Indeed if that scene doesnt make you feel anything, youre probably not alive.

8 more replies

Same here.

Semi related anecdote.

My father loved me. Treated me like a prince, I treated him like a jester for a few years.

But I was a brat around my teens when he got cancer because I employed the “push away until they don’t love you anymore and you don’t love them so you can’t lose someone you don’t love” technique as a major a-hole. That lasted 3 of the 7 years he went in and out of cancer. My father never held it against me.

I grew up. Made amends. Things were good. He passed on good terms.

Then, I found an ooooold VHS recorder from like 1987-1989 (DOB 1982 here), and I hooked it up.

Turns out, he video taped himself and me fooling the school to play hookie so that we could go to SeaWorld.

I didn’t care for the animals at that age but I sure loved the bouncy house.

Here’s where I wept:

While watching my 5-year old self get lost in he bouncy house fun, my dad kept yelling my name in the way you know someone is smiling when saying something. He just kept repeating it and repeating it patiently and I was just off in my own world. He turned it off in 5 minutes when I didn’t respond.

All he wanted was a good look of the joy on my face that he brought me.

I never gave him that. I could have $100 billion tomorrow and still not get that.

Those are the only 5 minutes in the world that have his voice.

Drip, drip

Dad checking in.

Your dad for sure didn't need to see your face to know you were happy...he was just doing camera duty. He turned it off not because he was tired of getting your attention, but because he wanted to enjoy the moment.

You don't have a VHS of your face but I promise he had the memory all of his days.

1 more reply

He didn't need to see your face to know the joy he gave you, though. You may not think you ever gave him that one moment but I guarantee you gave him so much more. Don't regret that.

Dad here. Can confirm.

1 more reply

Duuude... I woke up, got on Reddit, and now I’m emotionally trashed.

12 more replies

I remember I was in high school, feeling a little emotional after a break up. I was looking through my movie cabinet for a pick-me-up, saw Click and thought "Yeah! Adam Sandler is a funny guy! I'll watch this!"

I found myself ugly crying towards the end of the movie too.

I remember seeing this in theaters with my friend and his mother at the time. His father had passed away when he was young and his mother ended up bawling her eyes out...but to be fair, so was everyone else in the theater. That was a sad movie.

8 more replies

They totally did. You just know they did.

Absolutely. They even changed the ending of Brazil in the US ffs... I mean, that was already a done movie, but when released in the US they went "nah... we gonna have to re-edit this to the point where it makes absolutely no sense, and also of course change the ending completely". It seems Hollywood is allergic to anything that doesnt have a "guy gets girl and they live happily ever after" ending.

Screenwriters make art, producers make money.

They did this to the sequel of The Crow. It was called The Crow: City of Angels, and the original story line had the protagnist get revenge and spend the rest of time wandering the earth as an undead spirit after falling for Sarah and failing to avenge his son.

The ending we got was actually a dream sequence in which Ashe meets with his son, only to wake up and regret not helping his son. Instead, it's just the way the movie ends in a nice "walks off into the spiritual sunset" scene.

19 more replies

I saw the preview screener for Click. We were shown two endings, one of which was Sandlers character dying. But he went to some weird happyish heaven thing. I can't entirely remember because this was a long long time ago. But I do for a fact remember at least two endings.

10 more replies

Click very much seems like a re-telling of “It’s a Wonderful Life” and they have the same ending.

I prefer the It’s a Wonderful Life’s killing spree ending.

The old SNL sketch ending version where everybody learns the old banker is ripping people off and the crowd lynches him.

I dunno what you mean - that's a much happier ending!

2 more replies

I actually went to see the movie in one of those pre-screening things where they get feedback before finishing the movie and this is actually what happened in the original ending. He wakes up and is with his family and everything is good and happy and seems like it was all a dream that he woke up from but he walks outside his house and realizes that he actually did die and is just now in heaven. It was pretty stupid and I think everyone in the theater wrote that they should change the ending. Then I went to see it when it came out and they actually did change the ending lol

What? You gotta give more! That's too interesting to not talk more about.

Yeah! What his heaven like? How did the family grieve?

Can confirm.

Source: built website for film, read script and saw early cut months before premier.

10 more replies

29 more replies

6.3k points · 6 months ago

Now I'm kind of dissapointed it wasn't.

2.7k points · 6 months ago

Maybe it's not that bad, though. Sometimes Black Mirror can be mood draining.

I mean, think about it. They have all that really fucking awesome technology which makes life so much easier and exciting, and they go and use it to horribly torture other people like it's no big deal.

1.2k points · 6 months ago

I started watching Black Mirror 2 years ago, I haven't watch a single episode since I finished the 2nd episode of the 1st season. Not because I didn't like it, I really did but it's just incredibly bleak and depressing to me.

IMO hang the dj isn't bleak if you'd like to give that one a try.

Also San Junipero. It's sorta sad but the ending is nice

San Junipero is the only episode i’ve watched

You havnt experienced true black mirror emotional drainage yet then

White Christmas. That's always the one I introduce people to the show with.

that one messed with me more than any of the other episodes did, though haven't watched season 4 yet

White bear really fucked me up for some reason.

6 more replies

White Christmas is sooooo fucking good. Ozymandias-levels of TV greatness.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that commonly rates television on the Ozymandias scale.

7 more replies

42 more replies

Black Museum...

Playtest is worse imo, black museum is kind of happy at the end.

Oh fuck yeah forgot about that one. The History of You also got me pretty hard, and the one with the android

playtest was brutal man.

Playtest hurts to watch

Black Museum is the happy version of White Christmas.

Oh god, I watched Playtest for a class last semester, and I literally called my mom when I was done with it

16 more replies

black museum is extremely grim, but i wouldn't say it's emotionally draining.

in fact, it's really vindicating - especially how it fits in to the meta narrative of the show. the antagonist is essentially the personification of the show and is righteously punished for his exploitative and voyeuristic bullshit.

really great palette cleanser and cap the season and the show in general.

White Bear.

17 more replies

6 more replies

Hang the DJ is a spiritual successor

57 more replies

The thing with SJ is that the episode is either happy or sad depending where in the 'conscience = digital conscience' debate you stand.

Spoilers for those who haven't seen it, but I honestly think either way is happy. If digital consciousness isn't a thing, they died peacefully. If it is, they live happily.

6 more replies

lol it's pretty funny that the happiest ending in black mirror is one in which everyone dies at the end (and has their consciousness uploaded to the cloud)

Yeah, it is. People often cite San Junipero as being one of the more optimistic episodes but I found the whole concept terrifying.

Yeah I showed it to my girlfriend to get Her into black. Mirror and her only comment at the was: 'oh that's awful'

Perhaps she's not cut out for black mirror.

For the love of God, don't let her watch white Christmas.

4 more replies

The prime minister who fucked a pig on live TV went on to have a long career and the public respected him more for it.

18 more replies

I got Hang the DJ confused with Crocodile and thought you had a very dark sense of humor.

63 more replies

127 more replies

Congratulations, you have described human civilization since the dawn of the agricultural revolution!

11 more replies

Sometimes Black Mirror can be mood draining.

Agreed. Had to stop watching it unless i'm really just in the mood for something like that, otherwise i can feel it bringing me down.

Still a great show.

I think you're missing the entire point of the show

112 more replies

It would've been an interesting ending, but it's still a pretty depressing movie throughout.

40 more replies

Me and my dad went to see Click in theatres excited to see a raunchy Adam Sandler comedy and both left in tears. It was an odd and unexpected beautiful moment. What a wild ride that movie was..

I saw this movie with a group of friends. I normally hold back my tears in front of others, but this movie...I have never ugly cried so bad in my life. I couldn't hold back those tears no matter how hard I tried. But of course everyone else was bad off too. It really was a beautiful film in a lot of ways, specifically emotionally - to get that gut reaction from so many people they definitely did something right.

That's what happened to me with "Up." I thought it was a cute kids movie, and it was. But it was so very sad.

Pixar movies are dangerous. Watching Inside Out with my 10 year old daughter fucked me up good.

2 more replies

1.5k points · 6 months ago(76 children)
Original Poster1.1k points · 6 months ago

It’s like hiring a stripper for the boys to have a great night, and everyone just feels disgusted and sad by the end.

Especially if the stripper grabs the guy who has just turned 21 and jerks him off in front of his friends.

Well that's specific

It's a tifu post

Link? This sounds amusing

Yes. "Amusing".

9 more replies

6 more replies

Yeah, then she proceeds to ask who'd like to fuck her for 50 bucks in a room full of guys.

Then you're all like, "Go home Mom!"

With Listerine.

8 more replies

It was really funny to be fair. The skin flapping scene made my whole family crack up laughing so hard. We still make references to it.

25 more replies

Anyone else think that click and big daddy are actually both legitimately good movies and wonder why Adam Sandler hasn’t spent more effort in these sorts of roles or even going more serious? I think he has it in him but he “wastes it” (maybe it’s not a waste if he’s having fun and making money?) on immature comedies

Kind of reminds me of seeing Jim Carey in Truman, the majestic, and eternal sunshine.

Edit: eternal sunshine could also totally be a black mirror episode

Dude had an amazing career. He's made millions by making movies with his buddies, and has a blast doing it. He still collaborates with people to make "legitimately good" movies, as you put it, like Funny People or Spanglish.

"Still" collaborates?

Funny People came out 9 years ago in 2009. Spanglish came out 14 years ago in 2004.

He was in the quite new movie The Meyerowitz Stories, has some good guys like Ben Stiller and Dustin Hoffman in it too. He gave an amazing performance in his role in the movie, some pretty good emotional moments.

27 more replies

2 more replies

There are a good amount of movies that were legitimately good movies he was in, like 50 First Dates. But I think the audience demanded more comedy from him and he had to deliver, making him a lower class actor and now all he can get is lower Class movies.

He doesnt really "get" movies. He produces his own with his buds. I think he just enjoys having his friends around on set and having a few laughs.

That doesn't mean he doesn't 'get' them, it just means he'd rather make $50M for goofin around in a tropical paradise than working hard telling an emotional story in Pittsburgh for $5M. That ain't stupid

206 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Funny People, Spanglish, Wedding Singer, Punch Drunk Love, and Happy Gilmore are legit good

Big Daddy, 50 First Dates, and Waterboy are lesser but still very enjoyable imo

He gets a lot of deserved hate for his more recent shit, but he made solid movies for about a decade after his SNL career

10 more replies

If you haven't watched "The Meyerowitz Stories" on Netflix. You should.

25 more replies

2.2k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

His wife in that movie played a major part of my sexual awakening.

Edit: That tight... rockin body

Kate Beckinsale did look particularly amazing in that movie.

Do you know that episode of Seinfield where George pretended he broke up with a model, so that other pretty woman would think he was dateable? Thats my take on Adam Sandlers on screen wives

and this was her fella for about 8 years

Wesley Snipes!

I love when that character points out that if you put the two of them side by side he looks far more likely to have a name like wesley snipes.

Gang way for foot cycle.

A much shorter, whiter vampire but still a vampire, m'yeh know...

They remind me of the chick from Mad Men dating the guy who ate the bag of mushrooms and pot in Super Troopers. Like, if Scientology didn't arrange that hookup, good for him i guess. He must be really funny. In bed.

A much shorter, whiter vampire but still a vampire, m'yeh know...

His name is Wesley Snipes in 30 Rock. Did they give him that name because of the vampire connection?

6 more replies

Holy shit, the guy from underworld. Now I gotta rewatch those movies

19 more replies

13 more replies

Wait, that was the same lady from Underworld? Holy shit.

Yeah, also Van Helsing.

She's also the voice of Queen Ayren in The Elder Scrolls Online, which makes the whole game just a little bit better.

My god those latex pants woke something dark in me.

Don't have to brag about your BBC

4 more replies

She's over 40 too. I couldn't believe it when I found out.

I mean, she was ~32 during filming

But now she's in her 40s and barely looks 32.

This is REALLY photoshopped

But yea I saw her in something last year and she still looks ridiculously good

1 more reply

She’s a pretty good actress as well, one of my favorite movies of all time is Brokedown Palace.

9 more replies

And gave you a fetish for Japanese time control porn.

That was Clockstoppers for me.

8 more replies

7 more replies

Original Poster89 points · 6 months ago

Sandler’s sex moves were mine..

Those bouncing jugs in slow mo changed me.

I remember watching this movie and rewinding this scene over and over again: https://youtu.be/0JuFYIEEdfY

That was the day I learned I like boobies.

1 more reply

that is where i became a fan, like wow with Kate Beckinsale. She does look amazing in that movie.

18 more replies

Damn, that would be a good fucking episode.

Weirdly enough it might work better as an Adam Sandler movie, because no one expects such a dark twist. With Black Mirror you instantly would know that it would fuck him over.

The darkness makes the happy episodes that much more rewarding

6 more replies

[Sensual voice] Black Mirror, nobody does it better... [kiss sound]

Naughty America. Nobody, nobody, nobody does it better.
How did you even came up with this comment though ? How is that related to the OP comment lmao ?

641 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Click changed my life.

That movie scared the bejeezus out of me when I watched it in my mid twenties. I’d just come out of a depression that had derailed my life (dropped out of a maths degree at Oxford University, isolated myself from most of my friends, put on 50% of my body weight in 18 months), and I was settling into a pattern which, while not destructive, wasn’t pushing me forward.

I was coasting, and Click put the fear of fucking God into me.

A couple of years later I mustered up the courage to quit the temping/casual filmmaking I had been pursuing, and began a five-year slog to upgrade my employability from school leaver with no specific area of expertise or experience to becoming a chartered accountant. I am now happily married, in a job I love, and my future looks pretty rosy.

Looking back, when I saw the film over a decade ago, it was a huge turning point for me.

I never thought I would say this, but Adam Sandler inspired me to change my life.

It's weird the kind of things that can really give you a huge push you need, and I'm glad you did.

Yeah, any time I have a chance to hang out with my dad and don’t feel like it, I always think back to that scene from Click where his dad starts crying as he leaves a son who always ignores him. Makes me appreciate my dad so much more.

4 more replies

Still don't know why he didn't just hit PAUSE and do all his work. That would make way too much sense.

I got so pissed watching this movie, he used the remote in the stupidest possible way

7 more replies

Or a twilight zone episode

That would be a perfect Twilight Zone ending, just him dying in the rain as the camera pans away, as we hear Rod Serling's narration:

"Time marches forward, a lesson learned too late by one Michael Newman. Every moment needs to be one enjoyed with great detail, moments that cannot be skipped or left behind with the tool of an electronic magic wand. And like any magic wand, it made things disappear... into the Twilight Zone."

Well you managed to capture Rod Serling perfectly.

1 more reply

I didn’t even watched a twilight zone episode and I thought that was cool

Maybe you should watch, i recommend the episodes Time enough at last and the hitch-hiker as great episodes to introduce you to what Twilight Zone is about.

14 more replies

8 more replies

Well there's a Goosebumps episode named "Click" with the exact same concept, and it actually does have super dark ending, even for a kid's show. I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix.

I'm pretty sure that's what the movie was inspired by

8 more replies

i never really thought it was possible to be repulsed by a movie and then cry leaving the theater until i saw click

I like the fact a Spoiler flair has been used yet the spoiler is in the title

3 more replies

My brother saw a version online that had the ending removed, and he genuinely thought that Sandler dying was how it ended for a long time until we saw it on TV.

I had already seen the movie, so when he was talking about Sandler dying at the end, I thought he was trying to trick our mom, so I was playing along with the "Yep. Totally! He dies."

When it got to the real ending on the TV, I was like "Ah, we tricked you!" and he was all "Wait, WHAT!?"

I thought we were tricking my Mom, but I ended up tricking him. He must have been so confused, especially since I was agreeing with him at first.

Ironic, he could trick himself but not others.

15 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

It’s not a story your brother would tell you.

5 more replies

Man if he'd just had the sense after the first go around to not use the fast forward function he could have had a very easy life. Like leave the subtitles on so he can understand what everybody is saying. Then you're done and you just carry on your life with a nice little bonus.

Yeah and if everyone in life would just focus all the time instead of distracting themselves to pass time... Everyone would be better off.

But that is the gist of the movie, we program ourselves into toxic routines because it is so damn convenient.

6 more replies

It’s funny, Sandler gets a lot of death-threat level shit even though there are much much worse actor-comedians out there who you never hear a peep about, but I think he’s an alright dude. I really liked him in this. And Reign Over Me was incredible. Maybe he should’ve focused on serious, dark roles.

1 more reply

Oh wow, spoiler tag and the spoiler is in the title

5 more replies

Give them time, they may improve it

Honestly this is probably the movie that makes me cry the most.

1 more reply

That spoiler tag is super useless.

2 more replies

Spoiler for the movie "The Mist." I think it had one of the best most fucked up endings. There's 4 bullets and 5 people left, and they decide to commit suicide before the monsters get them. They hear them coming so the Male shoots them so they don't have to suffer, and he'll get eaten alone. Then right when you think the monster comes it's actually a tank and the Army here to save the day. The guy goes into a mental breakdown and the credits roll. Fucked up, but so is life man.

The occurrences of Black Mirror still contain technological plausibility that they could happen.

Click contains an aspect of magic and fantasy. Controlling the space time continuum is far beyond technology.

Perhaps another Black Mirror series that deals with more fantastical issues such as that?

Maybe another episode using the "Cookie" brain implant which you can use to make time seem faster or skip it by making your brain forget the time passing... E.g. skip a day at work or skip to a movie release you are looking forward to. The cookie intelligently learns your use habits and keeps skipping work etc until suddenly, you've skipped your whole life.

Pretty much the concept of click, but more on the tech side than magic.

4 more replies

Thats my favorite thing about Black Mirror is its “realism” or plausibility I should say. The idea that this technology isn’t real yet but very well could be makes it enticing to watch and really makes you wonder...

One of the most prevalent cases is in Shut Up and Dance because there's really nothing futuristic about the episode.

Also the pilot episode (the one with the prime minister and the pig).

I actually really loved that episode. It was twisted and I know a lot of people didn't like it but I liked seeing how everyone was in the pub expecting it to be this hilarious thing but by the end they were all horrified for him.

I thought it was interesting because some people thought it was funny and some people thought it was disgusting, but EVERYBODY was watching,

13 more replies

I'm a little more critical of Black Mirror's realism, personally. Not to spoil the Callister episode (S4E1), but the central "gizmo" makes absolutely no sense. It might as well be magic, and if it's supposed to be "realistic", then it's just BS.

Of course, I don't actually have a problem with that. I'm OK with sci-fi injecting a bit of handwavy magic in there. But Black Mirror has kind of constrained itself with the pretense of "realism", when some of its best episodes are amazing because they're totally not realistic.

21 more replies

74 more replies

657 more replies

A subreddit to share anything that goes on in your head whilst in the shower.

r/Showerthoughts Rules
No Unoriginal/Common Thoughts

All content must be original. Unoriginal or reposted content will be removed.

No Puns/Wordplay
No Jokes/Pro-Tips
No Shower "Observations"
No Politics/Religion
Being a jerk/uncivil
Bigotry, hate speech, or harassment
Use of the text box is strictly forbidden

The text box cannot be used for any reason, including edits.

Comment directed at reposting

You should be reporting reposts and nothing else. Don’t comment! Don’t do it.