Archived

Birth control packs should have 7 midols instead of sugar pills.

My male friend once wanted to take a "pill" . I gave him one of those, knowing it was a sugar pill lol.

Sugar pill? Why are there sugar pills in a birth control pack?

Some birth control has a period week where you just take a placebo pill. That way you don't lose the habit of taking the pill, but give your body a rest from the hormones.

At least that's how I understand it, but hey, I'm male.

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

It's amazing how many people have no clue about anything related to periods.

Actually some forms of birth control actually do have iron and vitamins in that week

I used to date a girl who would alter her cycle. I wasn’t clear on the specifics but if she just started another pack that week she could prevent her period that month or something. She did it multiple times because we had vacations planned and she didn’t want to be on her period during a few of those vacations.

I'm not sure if you haven't come across other women that use the pill to skip their period, but it is pretty common and mostly a personal preference...

As a dude why don't all women do this? It seems like a huge inconvenience

Expensive. Also it has to happen eventually- it’s not like you can avoid it forever

-1 points · 6 months ago

Only two women I dated have done it. I always thought it was a little risky. I can see here and there but all the time is bound to come with some long term side effects. Mostly I was just worried for their health.

-13 points · 6 months ago(10 children)

What?

People used to think that it was bad for you to skip the placebo week because your body needed a period to flush everything put or something. It's now very common for women to take birth control which stops menstruation completely. There's no biological need to have a period if you're not trying to conceive and the lack of one is only concerning if its indicative of a health problem rather than a side effect of medication.

-19 points · 6 months ago(0 children)

It can absolutely be done. Most Common with things like implants/hormone IUDs or sthings like depo shots. Most of the time you get less frequent or lighter periods, and somewhere between a third half of all women will find they go away.

And then there are the lucky percentage that find they get much heavier and last longer.

Huh interesting. I've only hurt of athletes and military having their periods stop.

It’s true. I had a type of birth control pill that stopped ovulation, and as a result I did not have a period for years. When I stopped being on the pill the periods came back as normal.

Huh. Well today i learned.

Those are different circumstances. During extreme stress or extreme physical conditioning mensuration sometimes stops as the body is utilizing resources for other things.

I was just saying those are the only things I've ever heard that filly stop a period.

Not sure why you got the down votes. Being wrong or misinformed shouldn’t be a reason to get down it’s especially if your saying you may be wrong....that being said

Lots of birth control methods even advertise that a side effect may be a stop in mensuration.

I don't know what midol is, assuming it's a painkiller and can say that would be f'in genius!

Living in the UK, placebo pills are pretty unheard of. Would like to see those let alone pain killers for the fun time of the month.

Yup. Same in Ireland. None here afaik.

Don't get it

The week of pills you take during your menses are placebo so why not throw in something useful like Midol for your cramps :)

Ohhhhhhhh and is there a reason to include them at all?

It’s to keep up the habit of “a pill a day”. If you stop taking them when they aren’t needed, you’re more likely to forget them when they are needed.

But my doctor always told me that if I didn't take them every day, they wouldn't work. Kind of like how ssri's don't work day to day but you have to take them for weeks before they convince the brain to make serotonin, and missing a day would just kinda fuck up it's system.

No because 1 of the weeks literally isnt the medicine. They're sugar pills. It's to help women track that they haven't missed any pills as a single missed pill during an active week is kind of a big deal pregnancy wise

Your doctor is fake news

Fuck

Jesus lord yaaas

Just because you need midol, doesn’t mean we all do. I wouldn’t like to be medicated without needing it. Better keep it like it is, then those who needs can get Midol on the side.

Jesus. Same logic here, just cause you don't need them doesn't mean the rest of us also have easy low cramp or cramp free periods. Don't be such a dick. You could choose to take them or not.

-1 points · 6 months ago(7 children)

Not in Ireland and the UK. There are no placebo pills. And there's not a glut of us forgetting to restart our pill packs.

The way you phrased your comment is what made you a dick. 'not something I'd find helpful' could have been way less rude.

-1 points · 6 months ago(0 children)

There's no attitude problem here, I'm only mirroring your comments back. Which you clearly don't like what you see.

Well, it sure sounds like a few people are in their placebo week!

runs and hides

Go fuck yourself. /S 😂

Also, I was told a funny story by someone at a weight loss club thing she went to (like weight watchers) that they call it a 'star' week and you're allowed to be extra naughty that week. It kinda stuck with me and I now call it my star week too.

I also don't have one as I run right through my packs. My cramps were so severe the doctor gave up and told me to avoid periods til menopause. So here we are. Haha

Awesome!

Early in my marriage, I made a fatal mistake. We used to occasionally have heated arguments over trivial things, and after about a year of this, I pointed to the calendar, feeling all clever and proud of myself, and said something along the lines of “look, these green dots were the arguments we had. The red dots were your periods. I’ll make a point of not arguing with you during those times anymore”.

I’m still amazed the doctors managed to stitch my head back on my shoulders after that.

So, lesson learnt. She’s just always right. Haven’t had an argument in years, I think.

I would have laughed at you. I admit, I get irrationally angry when I have a period, but it's 1-2 days and it's usually at situations, not people.

That is just funny to me. thank God you lived to tell us. Haha

-5 points · 6 months ago(0 children)
-36 points · 6 months ago(9 children)
Original Poster30 points · 6 months ago

The final week in each pack contains 7 sugar pills that are placebo pills and have no hormones in them. That is the time when women have their period. It would be way more helpful if instead of 7 pills that do nothing there were 7 midols for an individual to take the week of their period.

I was under the impression those pills have iron or some nutrients in them and not just a placebo.

Some do have that stuff, but a most of them I've ever encountered are just placebos.

10 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

No. It's a sugar pill. It's so they stay in the habit of taking a pill every day, instead of risking forgetting to restart after a week off

no, u/FappinPlatypus, is right. Many birth control pills do have iron tablets instead of sugar pills for those days, if your birth control has the letters fe hyphenated afterward then they aren't sugar pills

Ex: Lo-loestrin-fe, mibelas 24 fe, etc

Yeah, lucky it didn't happen, otherwise we would've had scared nuclear babies in October.

Wrong thread?

Comment deleted6 months ago(0 children)

They might have meant sugar pills colloquially, sometimes the phrase sugar pills is used for placebo. They are placebos in that they just keep you on schedule but they do still have iron in them

-18 points · 6 months ago(0 children)

The pill itself causes headaches for a lot of woman.

Oh shit, now they'd actually have to say no! How terrible!

What? I don't get it... Do you usually have headaches during your period. Most people's period pain is a little lower?

A subreddit to share anything that goes on in your head whilst in the shower.

r/Showerthoughts Rules
No Unoriginal/Common Thoughts

All content must be original. Unoriginal or reposted content will be removed.

No Puns/Wordplay
No Jokes/Pro-Tips
No Shower "Observations"
No Politics/Religion
Being a jerk/uncivil
Bigotry, hate speech, or harassment
Use of the text box is strictly forbidden

The text box cannot be used for any reason, including edits.

Comment directed at reposting

You should be reporting reposts and nothing else. Don’t comment! Don’t do it.