Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

[Video] Finally solo'd Machamp using six different fairy type pokemon. (Explanation in comments)

Video
Original Poster51 points · 1 month ago

I know, soloing Machamp is considered pretty easy and most players are possible to pull it off by now. Let me explain why this is not just another random solo raid video and why this particular challenge is so exciting:

Why is this hard to pull off?

• The best Machamp counters (Psychic type counters like Mewtwo, Espeon, Alakazam as well as flying type counters like Rayquaza, Lugia and Dragonite) are not allowed in this scenario; Also, Pokemon like Slaking or Donphan are not allowed. They have fairy type charge moves but are not fairy type Pokemon; In this video you can see that this would make the challenge way easier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHB52...

• Gardevoir is the only Fairy type Pokemon with enough DPS to defeat Machamp in time without weather boost. As I wanted to use six different Fairy type attackers, it is apparent, that soloing Machamp without weather boost by only using fairy type Pokemon is impossible;

• Thus, this challenge is only possible in cloudy weather (as fairy type attacks are boosted). However, this also means that Machamp itself can be weather boosted (if it has fighting moves). As Machamp can only learn Fighting or Steel moves, basically all movesets are bad for us: Steel is very effective vs. Fairy type Pokemon and fighting moves are always weather boosted in this scenario;

• With Fairy weather boost (cloudy weather), other high level and perfect moveset Fairy type attackers become viable. Yet, I had to invest some nice amounts of stardust into them. In my line-up: Granbull (LVL 35, 162.8 seconds), Clefable (Lvl 40, 164.1 seconds) and Wigglytuff (Lvl 40, 167.9 seconds) are good attackers. Mr. Mime, (Lvl 35, 207.9 seconds, cannot learn fairy moves unfortunately) and Azumarrill (Lvl 40, 236.3 seconds) still fall short. Yet, I still wanted to use them.

I was trying to pull this challenge off for quite a long time now and finally did it today. I’d argue that I finally succeeded as this was the first Machamp I met with Close Combat as charge move. It was always extremely close if it had Dynamic Punch or Heavy Slam.

10 points · 1 month ago

Congrats on a nice raid and a cool idea! I'm not so sure about your claim that soloing with 6 unique fairies is impossible w/o weather boost. Difficult, yes, but not impossible. You can buy enough time with the Gardevoir dodging all charges against some movesets.

Just as a proof of concept: There are probably different configurations that could be experimented with, but for example, here's a sim of dodging specials with gardevoir and Mr.Mime, and no dodge on the rest of the lineup.

So C/CC is easily doable if you just dodge perfectly with Gardevoir. Gotta try that out, thanks for the sim link.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Thank you! I'll try this next.

Could Gardevoir get you ahead of the clock? So that even if the others are slower, if Gard did a high enough percent of damage ahead of schedule, maybe the remainder would get a bigger leeway?

NRW, Germany - Level 38 is the Nirvana
4 points · 1 month ago

Excellent!

Mr. Mime, (Lvl 35, 207.9 seconds, cannot learn fairy moves unfortunately)

But luckily it can learn Psychic moves and it double-resists Fighting.

Very nice solo! I'll definitely try this one out. Got a Mr. Mime and Azumarill already maxed too.

I've done the challenge of only fairy charge moves (so had Slaking, Ursaring and Donphan), but it was very doable without weather boost.

Good job on completing your challenge. I commend your stardust investment in some non-meta Pokémon to get this done. If I might offer a critique, it makes more sense to dodge CC at the beginning with Gardevoir than to be forced to dodge with Wigglytough and Clefable. When I didn’t see you dodge, I thought you might not be able to because the time is so tight at the end but you had enough time for 1 dodge. Dodging 1 CC would have let Gardevoir do more of the heavy lifting to ease the clock a bit. Regardless, congratulations.

Original Poster7 points · 1 month ago

Thank you, and of course you are right. Dodging with Gardevoir would have made it easier. It is probably necessary against the other movesets. It was my first try against a machamp with this particular moveset (I guess the easiest) and continued just to know how close I would fail. I was surprised it was enough.

Mystic level 35
4 points · 1 month ago

And you forgot to TM that Granbull to Snarl.

Oregon
4 points · 1 month ago

It's a fair point. It was nicknamed as if it had Snarl but it has bite in the battle.

NRW, Germany - Level 38 is the Nirvana
3 points · 1 month ago

Or maybe the other way round: it was Snarl, he TMed it, and forgot to rename it.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

You are right. TM'd it to Bite because it is easier to dodge with. Forgot to rename it afterwards!

I was actually arrogant enough to think I was the only Trainer to Max/Power Up Fairy Types besides Gardevoir. Kudos to you and your Battle Party Name.

FairyBounties

VALOR LEVEL 40
3 points · 1 month ago

I've maxed some fairy types, but mostly for gyms

I love Azumarill. Upvoted!

Travelers

Currently Traveling

Grassroots network of Pokémon GO™ trainers. The Silph Road enables coordinating long-distance trades for exotic Pokémon. Follow for launch details soon!

r/TheSilphRoad Rules

Help us keep our culture & content focus.
We keep things friendly and courteous on the Road.
This is not the place for venting or cynicism!
We abide by the spirit of the game.
Above all, we keep it drama-free and chill.