Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Cisco Selfcare Portal - limited to one admin?

This is my company's first venture into the world of Cisco VoIP. In fact, it's our first time using a cloud system. We have a small site using a new Cisco BE4000.

In order to manage this system we need to log into the Cisco Business Edition Selfcare Portal at (https://myphone.cisco.com/). I had the tech set me up with an admin login that is tied to my email address. It uses two factor authentication which required me to download the google authenticator app to my cell.

All good. Until I asked to have another one of my admins set up with an account. I'm told this can't be done, there can only be one admin per system. The fact that it's two factor authentication really leaves me in a bind as I can't simply share (not that I necessarily want to) my password with my other admin.

This seems absurd to me. Anyone else doing something similar?

2 points · 24 days ago

No real contribution here but if that is true, that's absurd.

2 points · 24 days ago

I'm a bit confused, you mention cloud but also a BE4K which is on-prem. Can you clarify? Do you have premise equipment that your partner manages? I ask because I work for a partner, and with our Cisco cloud platform, you would still have access to CUCM where your admin rights would allow you to administer self care portal. The link you shared looks like you have end user rights only to the portal?

BE4K is a locked down version of CME/CUE that is cloud provisioned & controlled.

Original Poster1 point · 24 days ago

So the BE4K is on-prem. But in order to manage it I need to log into the online portal I referenced above. The system syncs with the cisco portal over the internet. I guess when I say "cloud" I'm strictly referring to the administration. We needed something on prem to handle a couple of local CO trunks.

We hired a company to set the system up for us. Once we sign off they will be handing the system off to us to manage. We'll use Cisco TAC for any support we need.

The portal is the only thing we've been shown. We were given a decent tutorial on all the moves/adds/changes we can do via this portal. Everything seemed to be going well until I brought up the question of multiple admins.

I asked what we're supposed to do if I'm on vacation and someone else needs to jump into the system? His suggestion was to use the 2 factor authentication recovery key (given to me when I set up my two factor auth) to set up google authenticator on my coworker's phone. Then when I return, do it again to get it back on my phone.

This is crazy! As soon as this system is added to my Cisco Smart account I'll be opening a ticket with them.

2 points · 24 days ago

Thanks for the info, that all makes sense. Looks like one of the limitations of the BE4K platform. I don't have any suggestions for how to get around it, based on the link below, Cisco acknowledges only one portal admin per site.

Original Poster2 points · 23 days ago

Thanks! I may have come up with a workaround. I mentioned that this requires two factor authentication. I’m pulling this off with google authenticator on my phone. This is also new to me. Looks like there is a PC version. If I put this on a shared office PC then we would both be able to generate a code whenever needed.

Both of us will be in and out of this be4k quite often over the next couple of weeks as we get familiar with it. Sharing the code that can only be generated on my phone will get old fast.

This is all theory, need to test it out.

Original Poster1 point · 24 days ago

I am able to view. Will take a good look tomorrow. Thanks!

You can use "authy" which is on both IOS & Android. Authy is a secure 2fa that has all the capabilities and more to google auth. You can have the same Authy account on multiple devices all in sync.

Original Poster2 points · 20 days ago

Authy for the win! I just set this up on two of my own devices and it worked great! I don't see any reason why it won't work on my coworker's device as well. THANK YOU!

1 point · 10 days ago

I think we've only sold 1 BE4K so far.. They've been making improvements but as you've seen, they are severely lacking in a lot of areas. Try to bring this up to your account manager/partner and see if you can get some action to improve this. The BE4K team is very responsive to input from the experience we've had thus far. The product manager and engineering team really wants this to be a great product. I think it could be someday..

Comment deleted24 days ago
5 points · 24 days ago

Because the BE4K is a VoIP product...