Has the "Money in the Bank concept ran it's course?

I feel like the Money In The bank concept was so unique and fresh when it came out in 2005. The cash ins were genuine surprises and were shocking and meant so much more than they do these days. So has the concept ran it's course and is it time to switch it up?

I had an idea and I think what they should do is keep the Money in the Bank concept with the ladder match for the briefcase. However, they should change the rules and inside the briefcase is a contract but for either a randomly drawn US, IC, Universal or WWE championship match. The holder only gets to access the briefcase with a lock and key and they only know which title the contract is for. So they could be involved in different matches and storylines but nobody would know which title they were going to cash in for. What you guy think?

It’s one of the last few things in WWE that generates spontaneity. It’d be good for them to keep it for now.

12 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Braun Strowman unlocks his briefcase and finds out he’s got a chance to cash in for the Raw Women’s title against Alexa Bliss!

Silliness aside I think you’ve got a cool idea here and it’ll definitely freshen the briefcase concept. I think they’d eventually go back to the briefcase being only for the main titles but it could be a good change for a couple of years!

I would like to see this.

that's way too early 90s WWFish, I like the random concept but let's keep the genders separate 🤣🤣

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Haha imagine! Yeah it would keep even the most jaded fans guessing.

I think there’s a lot of avenues they’ve yet to take with it.

For example, I’d love for it to come between best friends. Let’s say Roman as champ and Dean as MITB winner. They have each other’s backs in every way. Till one day Roman is hurt. Dean makes the save but realizes now is his time. Boom cash in and new feud.

Or maybe have the mitb winner also win the Rumble. They lose their guaranteed title shot at WM but they cash in afterwards to win the title.

I also would like to see them do an injury angle. Let’s use Owens as an example. Owens wins the briefcase and a few weeks later we find out he tore his ACL. He’s expected to miss 9 months. But he faked it to sneak attack the champion when he wasn’t expecting it.

Those are just a few we’ve yet to see that I think could work.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Those are some pretty cool angles they could do especially the injury one. I just think it needs a new concept.

I’m pretty sure that the contract is a guarantee for a championship match, not just one of the main titles. I’d love to see someone cash it in on a different title. Maybe a guy that’s missing one title from being a Grand Slam champ or breaking a title reign record.

That would be a good idea. Plus could have the Money in Bank holder show up on both shows to keep the suspense built up.

Original Poster3 points · 1 month ago

Yeah. It would be dual branded ladder match too.

I love it, dont want it to go anytime soon.

Or a random babyface/heel holding a briefcase pick a random partner then cash in for a tag team title. yeah, that would be interesting.

2 points · 1 month ago

If they take it off Braun and give it to KO I would say yes it has. Mainly because you are saying it doesn’t matter who wins it, if we (wwe or stupid fans) don’t like who has it we can just change it. What they did with Corbin last year was stupid (making him lose it because Corbin pissed Cena off).

Yes it has. While I like your idea I think we really need a “who done it” type of storyline. Let’s say we have the men’s ladder match. Sami and Kevin are climbing to the top of the ladder and then start to fight. Well have the lights go off and then come back on in 30 seconds with the case missing. Everyone wants to know who has it. All of a sudden there’s a twitter account that posts a tweet with a picture of the city where WWE is that night. It keeps the champs on their feet, it give some real unpredictably, and you could technically pick who you want to hold the case.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Cool idea but they could only really do that one time. Plus I'm not sure if building the storyline on social media would be smart but I get the idea.

Oh I don’t want them to follow my idea every year. I just wanted them to do this one time.

EDIT: WWE has had storylines play out on social media which I do think is a good idea. Heck they had the old Raw and Smackdown GM’s on Twitter before.

nah, it's one of those few gimmick ppvs that don't need the gravitas as a hell in a cell or tlc, I also wouldn't mind it being back only at WM

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

True, I think mania really misses the MITB ladder match.

A subreddit for fans of World Wrestling Entertainment. This includes WCW, ECW, NXT and whatnot.

r/WWE Rules
No trolling
Downvote does not equal dislike
Report offensive / spammy content