Reddit Feeds

Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Comments are locked

When you find out you're pregnant

This thread has been locked by the moderators of r/aww
New comments cannot be posted
9.6k points·8 days ago

He told me he was fixed!

Original Poster6.7k points·8 days ago

Hijacking this comment because apparently I can't reddit

Hey everyone!

We're a small animal shelter in Nuuk, Greenland.

We took this cat in a few weeks ago, but only recently noticed the bulge in her stomach area getting bigger and bigger. Turns out she's pregnant!

We're going to try and find loving homes for all the cats instead of euthanizing them. You can follow their progress by finding us on Facebook!

Just search for "Kalaallit Nunaanni Uumasut Ikinngutai - Dyrenes Venner i Grønland" on facebook :-)

My husband took in a cat from a shelter about 25 years ago. Part of the adoption requirements was that he have the cat spayed after getting her. But when he went for her appointment he found out she was pregnant, and he refused to have her kitties aborted just to meet the adoption contract.

He ended up keeping two of the kittens, and they lived to be about 16 years old each, and mama was a whopping 22 when she finally took her final rest.

Huh, that last paragraph is uncannily like our old cats. My parents got her straight from the streets as a stray, and kept one of her kittens. She lived to 22 too and her son passed away at 16.

What a coeenkadeenk!

So that's how you spell it...TIL

I thought it was coinkydink

6 more replies

Thank you kind human for not euthanizing them.

Original Poster805 points·8 days ago

Why would you euthanize them?

Original Poster987 points·8 days ago

If we can't find a home for the animal and they're at the shelter for a very long time, they usually get euthanized. I can assure you that's very, very, very rare here. :-)

We have limited capacity at the shelter, it's a nonprofit so none of the staff are paid, and we almost entirely run on donations. No paid staff means we're all doing this in our freetime.

It's much more common in the US to euthanize animals after just a week, for example.

Comment deleted8 days ago

SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS, PEOPLE!!!

294 points·8 days ago

My wife and I literally catch feral cats and pay for them to be spayed / neutered.

We were so sick of finding and caring for feral kitties only to have shelters tell us “were full” over and over and over. So we took it upon ourselves.

We’ve done one a month for the last few years and it’s our way of doing whatever we can to help out.

I’d recommend supporting trap, neuter, return charities as well as your local shelters as sticking animals in a shelter and hoping they get picked up is not a sustainable answer.

Honestly wish you could get a tax deduction/writeoff because this to me is like donating to a charity or helping the homeless. Awesome and selfless.

My inlaws did that down on their tree farm, found a feral momma with 4 kittens, trapped em all and got them all spayed or neutered. Still have 3 of them, 2 of them went off to be happy barn cats.

As a blooming vet, I approve. If you're in a city, look around for wellness centers. When I lived in Houston, there was a very basic clinic that essentially just did shots, worming, fixing and boarding. They sent anything else to more specialized vets. It made their neuter surgeries something like 20 bucks. Some clinics have special events to give free neutering once in a blue moon. GOOD STUFF

14 more replies

All the animal shelters around where I live won't let you adopt a pet unless you have it spayed or neutered. However, the cost of neutering/spaying is included in the adoption fee. (Adoption fee also includes any necessary vaccinations so it's a really good deal for all parties involved)

There's really no downside to having your pet spayed/neutered.

That’s how we got both our kitties- our local Humane Society was great.

24 more replies

I tried! I picked up a kitty on the street recently and took him to get neutered bc he had balls. Apparently they are hollow. The nice vet lady offered to let me feel when I was like, "What?". I did not. I live in FL though, so that spca knows me pretty well now :/

5 more replies

9 more replies

About 1.5 years ago, I adopted an adult cat from a co-worker.. (he's neutered) because she said if she didn't find him a good home she would have him put down.

She didn't tell me that he's absolutely fucking obnoxious and ridiculous. He meows at me constantly.. I'm aware he does this because he loves me. But my life is unbelievably stressful..

Anyway, I am moving across the country in a couple months. I had thought about taking him to a "no kill" shelter. But this comment has completely changed my mind.

Nope. I can't do that to him. Plus he's already been separated from his first "mother".. I watched a documentary and it showed how they will shove them into a box and gas them.. they don't know what's going on, their scared.. Breaks my heart. Like, it kills me to think about that.

No, I took him in. He's family now. Annoying or not, I know he probably wouldn't get adopted (he's 10). So I will live with this very loud cat until his last day.

I don't know how people can put them in a shelter knowing that could even be a slight possibility.

Have you tried acknowledging him when he's talking? I find my very talkative flatmate's cat tends to just be wanting acknowledgement.

Like, in the morning, she'll come over to me, meow repeatedly until I say hi to her, and then she'll contentedly go on to do whatever. Or if she's asking for something, she'll keep asking until I acknowledge it and give an answer. (And she does know the difference between no, "not now", and "hold on".) She even has specific meows for yes and no, herself, though I have trouble remembering which is which.

She still talks a lot more than my cat, but she meows a lot less than she used to.

Yes, lol. It only makes him more excited to talk to me.

He waits outside for me to get home from work. It is absolutely annoying but I know he's doing it because his favorite thing in the world came back to him and he's excited.

Better then my senior cat, we fostered thinking he had 6 months tops to live, no biggie well 2.5 years later and all my furniture needing to be replaced since he peed on everything (kidney failure and constant utis) I still miss him everyday and would gladly do all that laundry again to have him purring on my lap and looking at me like I was the best thing that ever happened to him. thats unconditional love on a whole different level

I am very fortunate that he is very healthy.

Although, yes.. even if this does happen in his last days, I'll do it. I adopted him. He's mine, and for whatever reason he absolutely adores me.

1 more reply

I will turn my life upside down for my cats, and you better believe that I would never move anywhere that wouldn't let me have them.

Comment deleted8 days ago

Absolutely. That's exactly why I can't do it. I don't think I could live with myself knowing he is probably locked away, not getting any love, not understanding where I am or why I left him.. only to have to die next to a bunch of strangers.

Nope.

So I will just listen to him meow loudly, and be annoyed. He's my "baby" now. And just like my son is annoying, I wouldn't throw him away lol.

I only very briefly thought about the "no kill" shelter, but this thread has definitely made me decide against it. I'm glad I clicked on it and read the comments.

27 more replies

There are a ton of no kill shelters that don't do this. The US is vast so depending on where you are it can change, but where I live now even the animal control is no kill unless there is an illness or injury that can't be treated. They have a sanctuary that is supported and shared by local rescues where they send animals that can't be adopted out because of temperament. I know this happens, but this isn't a "In the US" thing.

19 more replies

17 more replies

Hi, I'm a cat foster mom, I take in special needs cats and occasionally orphan kittens. A lot of shelters will euthanize newborn kittens, or spay Mom and terminate her pregnancy up to and including viability, simply because of the resources needed to care for them. If you get as upset about this as I did you can start by volunteering with your local shelter.

Thank you for being a foster!!! You are the best. My dog's foster family took such good care of her while she was pregnant and then delivered 9 puppies. I will forever be grateful for their selfless love.

Comment deleted8 days ago

I used to monitor our local shelter's web page looking for our lost cat. I also found the shelters reports and between 30-40% of the cats brought in were euthanized. It was tough looking at the pictures knowing 1/3 of the cats on the page were going to get put down.

I currently operate the site matchingmeows.com whose final goal is to help people locate lost pets and increase adoptions. Based on my first group of data I would estimate between there are about 2 cats euthanized for every 1 cat adoption across the country (my data is currently pretty rough). It is really sad since I have pictures for all of them :(.

2 more replies

My shelter is regularly bringing in pets from out of state because they have room and so many shelters in the Southern US are full.

4 more replies

6 more replies

20 more replies

148 points·8 days ago·edited 8 days ago

How old is she? She looks young to have kittens but I've seen 3 and 4-month old cats come in pregnant at more than one shelter I've worked in. They're usually great moms,though!

Original Poster175 points·8 days ago

She's about 12 months old, very lovely kitty. :-)

Why aren't they teaching these kids safe sex practices?

1 more reply

If they have access to equipment like this, I'm guessing they are preparing for the consequences of that.

Although I have to say, my cat is turning 16 and is about the same size still. After several vet visits, dozens of foods tried, nutritious additives, etc. Turns out she's just tiny.

Comment deleted8 days ago

Yes, cats reach sexual maturity quite quickly. If not spayed, a female can produce kittens while still being a kitten herself.

Kittens having kittens

3 more replies

18 more replies

1 more reply

Would you like to buy a vowel?

But seriously good work, guys! Keep it up :)

Original Poster119 points·8 days ago

What did I miss!?

English is my 3rd language, but that's a bad excuse for poor grammar.

your grammar is fine. i think they are making the joke of kalaallit nunaanni uumasut ikinngutai because it has a lot of vowels

kalaallit nunaanni uumasut ikinngutai

Just said this out loud and summoned a demon. Send halp.

Hello boys...

4 more replies

1 more reply

We have a long running game show in which people try to guess a phrase after guessing letter by letter. But you can't just guess a vowel (A, E, I, O, or U), you have to use some of your winnings to buy one. So when Americans see a string of consonants they don't understand, they often joke, "Would you like to buy a vowel?"

Good luck with the kitties!

60 points·8 days ago

Most of the people on Reddit barely have a solid grasp of their own mother tongue so you're good lol.

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

1 more reply

Your English is great! I think the vowel comment is referring to the number of vowels you used in "Kalaallit Nunaanni Uumasut Ikinngutai - Dyrenes Venner i Grønland"

I think you'd end up bankrupt in any game of Wheel of Fortune.

It's a reference to a popular TV gameshow in the United States, Wheel of Fortune. People can "buy a vowel" to help fill in the word puzzle.

17 more replies

66 more replies

531 points·8 days ago

That lying do..er, cat

Nice

4 more replies

5 more replies

Immeowculate conception.

19 points·8 days ago

You know what they say. If it ain’t broke....

15 more replies

The kitty looks like a kitten themselves.

Kittens having kittens 🐱

241 points·8 days ago

Kitten pregnancy is becoming a big problem.

For real, female cats can hit puberty at 4 months old. If you’re not intending to breed them, spay or neuter your animals.

129 points·8 days ago

Oh I was being sarcastic. I was trying to make a joke about teen pregnancies but with kittens acting like teens.

Kiteens

1 more reply

My fiances cat ended up getting out of the house one day before she got fixed and got pregnant at about 6 months old. They had to have emergency surgery to save her and the kittens cuz she was too small to give birth to them cuz of their size. Theyre all fully grown now and much bigger than her lol

2 more replies

P R E G A N A N A N T ? !

1.1k points·8 days ago

P R E G N E T

If a W O M E N has S T A R C H M A S K S on her body, does that mean she has been P A R G N E T before.?

147 points·8 days ago

I love that he gets halfway through saying it wrong, says "Wait" and then has to go back and read through it slowly and phonetically to get it right.

That whole video is absolutely magical.

P R E G E R N E T ?

G R E G N A N T ?

Well now you know for sure that women with starchmasks have been pregnant, because I ain't never seen a starchmask before, so it will be an ironic trend.

Dangerops? Prangent sex? Hurt baby top of his head??

The real question is CAN you burn a Luigi board?

430 points·8 days ago·edited 8 days ago

I have a 12 year old son who thinks this video is the height of comedy.

EDIT: The six year old also thinks this is pretty darn funny.

It is the height of comedy.

I’m 21 and I think it’s pretty gosh darn funny

I'm 27 and youth is escaping me save me from the void

I'm in the void. Numbers don't even matter anymore. We are all void in here.

I'm 18 and ready to die then go into said void.

That escalated quickly

I frequent r/2meirl4meirl so I'm used to jumping straight to suicidal thoughts once my life encounters any minor inconvenience.

6 more replies

33 here and currently in the void. It's inescapable. See you when you get here.

6 more replies

I'm 42 and I've only watched it 68 times.

40+2 years... PREGANANANT?!

Yes, I know, it's super dangerops.

2 more replies

I'm 45 this year and this is my go-to video for when I'm having a bad day and need a laugh.

1 more reply

He's a smart lad. He'll go far.

He is very smart and VERY funny.

He's not wrong

I'm 31. He's correct.

Is...is it not?

Oh, it definitely is.

I'm 42 and I think it is hilarious

My spouse has a phd and she thinks it's hilarious.

8 more replies

...

Can you burn a Luigi board?

4 more replies

P R E G N A R T

G R E G N A N T

starch

masks

115 points·8 days ago

Can u get...pregante?

Yeah, I was kind of low key chuckling for most of that but pregante just, well, now my cat is staring at me wondering wtf is wrong with me.

P E G N A T E?

Purrgurenant???

G R E G N E N T .

Pregnart?

P R E G A T ? !

Prrregante?!

Edit: PERGENAT

P R E G A N A N A N I?!?!

Dangerops prangent sex?

PERGANNANNAT?

20 points·8 days ago

to be come pregnart

A Luigi board?

HELP PLS. QUIJA BOARD (WEGA BORAD) HELP PLS???

Pre-Cat

15 more replies

899 points·8 days ago

"that's not possible"

Perhaps the archives are incomplete.

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?

1 more reply

If a fetus does not appear in our records, it does not exist.

AND MY AXE

It's treason then.

And my bow.

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

Now this is pod racing!

1 more reply

you mean it's impawssible?

4 more replies

1.6k points·8 days ago

Not sure if that's a face of excitement or disappointment

Original Poster1.4k points·8 days ago

439 points·8 days ago

Yesn't

Yanni

No no no stop, stop

Yesn’t yesn’t yesn’t stop, stop.

NANI?!

6 more replies

3 more replies

5 more replies

"I swear I can explain"

Khajit is not pregnant.

Intro to ES6?

1 more reply

Our (fixed, male) cat recently had to get an ultrasound because he seemed quite sick. The vet basically said, "Nothing out of the ordinary, except some fat, but we didn't need an ultrasound to see that." Savage.

We are giving him a little less food and trying to get him to play more, in case you're worried that we're endangering our cat.

If he likes wet food, you can give him a little less & add in pumpkin puree to bulk it back up without adding a ton of calories. Run it by your vet first, of course, to make sure there's no contraindication with your specific cat. But assuming they give the okay, start with a teeny amount & work up to about a tablespoon. It works as well as a diet, but with less hangry.

97 points·8 days ago

hangry

It's funny that I immediately know what this meant....

RUARUARUARUARUARUAR

That's the sound! And it will start at 5 in the morning, because the humans must be alerted to the cat's suffering.

33 points·8 days ago

I had been a bad hoomin, I was giving my cat more and more treats because it made him super happy, but then its all he wanted and he was putting on a bunch of weight ... so i'm cutting down on his treats, and now I hear this sound every fucking day.

You might want to invest in an auto-feeder. I used to feed the cat her breakfast at 7 am. She assumed, "When mom wakes up, I get food! Therefore I must wake her as early as possible, for I hunger greatly." I ordered this auto feeder from Amazon & set it to go off at the regular time. It took her a while to realize that I don't HAVE to be awake for food to happen. She still sometimes wakes me up early on weekends just because she's an asshole. But it has helped a lot!

(Also, she figured out how to pry the lid off and gorge on 6 meals. She is not very smart sometimes, but where food is involved she's goddamn Einstein, given enough free time. I had to add velcro straps, which were still not quite sufficient. Eventually I upgraded to a bigger, more secure, more complicated auto-feeder. But if your cat's not a relentless food monster, it should work!)

4 more replies

I took home a stray from my office because it suddenly developed a fat tummy, and I know feral kittens can be hard to socialize. Got it home, my vet said "wait until the babies are born and bring the whole squad in at 4 weeks". Waited 6 weeks. Brought cat in to vet. It's a boy. The vet said "to be fair, it's a really really neutered boy." Whatever that means. So I had a suddenly fat old stray cat for a year, until he passed.

24 points·8 days ago

Might meant that the balls themselves were removed. They don't need to do that, anymore, though in some places, removing them entirely is still very common.

22 points·8 days ago

[removed]

3 more replies

Lol, I can totally relate to that face. I was really surprised to learn I was pregnant. My husband and I were shocked, mostly due to the fact that I'm a guy.

Hold up

307 points·8 days ago

We dem boyz

we makin' noise

Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up

Wait a minute

Put a little love in it!

Somethin ain't right

2 more replies

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. But they had triplets. One of each.

They had a boy, a girl AND a lizard person?!

Exactly

2 more replies

Aww, congratulat- Wait, what.

14 more replies

Really?

They’re not mine! I swear!

They are from my previous life.

A cat of my talents?

Harold, I can explain!

291 points·8 days ago

Is that the CAT scan or PET scan?

get out.

He's only kitten.

9 more replies

58 points·8 days ago

Am I pergenat?

If a women has starch masks on her body, does that mean she has been pargnet before?

119 points·8 days ago

My first reaction was: why the fuck did you bring a cat to your ultra sou... 🤦‍♂️

That face "SHIT, I NEED TO GET A JOB NOW"

I knew when my wife suddenly wanted to eat most of my falafel pita.

I had the same look as this cat cos "wtf is wrong with you! Bogarting my falafel!" And then quick realisation "omg youre knocked up!" So a test proved it positive and now she doesnt care bout my falafel anymore, however my daughter seems a little to happy "try" it.

I had the same idea some time ago, but the test proved that she's not pregnant - just a food thief.

Clever girl.

She's so little! She looks like a kitten 😔

R/aww..shit

How is babby formed?

They do ultrasounds of pets? That seems crazy expensive.

Sure do. Ultrasounds aren't just used to monitor pregnancy, they're used to diagnose a wide range of things in internal medicine (blood clots, infections, swelling, heart conditions, etc). They already have the machine, a couple pennies worth of lube and a few minutes with the probe to make sure there's no problems with the pregnancy isn't much of a big deal.

“They already have the machine, a couple pennies worth of lube and a few minutes with the probe...”

Many pregnancies probably started that way.

4 more replies

119 points·8 days ago

Yeah I can confirm. They did an ultrasound of my nuts 2 days ago. Turned out I had testicular torsion.

My god, I am so sorry. That's one of the most painful things a male can experience.

14 more replies

Ah I had that shit as a small child don't remember the pain, I can tell you I had to have a nut removed so there's that.

I'm sorry for your loss. I made it in time so my nut got saved.

1 more reply

That is my worst nightmare.

6 more replies

25 more replies

I had an ultrasound done on my IBD cat to make sure he there wasn't cancer or anything else causing his stomach upset. My clinic didn't have their own machine, so they had to have a specialist come in. Cost $450.

On the flipside, my horse was recently at the clinic for some kidney issues, and when they suggested doing an ultrasound, I braced myself as I asked how much it would cost. It was only $85. That moment when your 10 lb cat costs more to treat than your 900 lb horse... -_-

16 points·8 days ago

Funny enough I imagine it's way easier to do a ultrasound on a 900 lb horse compared to a 10 lb cat. Horse is probably pretty easy enough to get to stand still for it where as a cat is probably going to squirm like mad.

15 points·8 days ago

They may have to sedate the cat, they probably didn't have to sedate the horse.

46 points·8 days ago·edited 8 days ago

No joke about the expensive though. My cat needed one to diagnose what turned out to be pancreatitis and terminal liver failure. It ran me almost $900*. Which was about what I'd already spent on a variety of other tests and blood work that wasn't able to figure out what was wrong.

*edit. I think the $900 was for the whole visit but it was years ago. Not sure what part of it the ultrasound was.

Jesus Christ and Odin in a hammock. I wrote above that it's about 15 - 40€ in Croatia, with a full consultation, and another guy just wrote that it's about 20£ in the UK. What is it with the US and any kind of a medical service?

Because America have been tricked into beliveing that it is normal.

People are trained to believe more expensive=higher quality. We also think business profits are better than saving lives.

4 more replies

8 more replies

27 more replies

Dammit whiskers , I told you pull-out doesn't work.

You have cat to be kitten me right meow...

1 more reply

That's the "I can explain" face.

I wonder when animals can tell if they are pregnant and if they can fully comprehend what it means to be pregnant.

207 more replies

Things that make you go AWW! Like puppies, bunnies, babies, and so on... A place for really cute pictures and videos!

r/aww Rules

1. No "sad" content
2. No captioned Pictures
3. No asking for upvotes
4. No harassment
5. Posts must link to sites on our approved list
6. No NSFW content
7. No asking for donations or adoptions
8. No bots
9. No lying about ownership
10. No social media

PSA

Please spay and neuter your pets! While your newborn pets are cute, failing to do this allows your little darlings to add to the population of homeless animals. Adopt pets from your local animal rescues/shelters, there are plenty of animals just waiting for a home.