My dad sent me this video of my childhood pets. They’ve bonded a lot in their senior years.

My cat was very affectionate with my dog when he got older. I think she just saw him as a big lazy cat now that he was less active.

We have a 15 year old Siamese cat and he’s a large ol kitty. In his old age he now finds it necessary to clean the face of our eight year old chow/German Shepherd mix’s face. The dog sits frozen and looks at anyone nearby with the look of, “what’s happening?”

Oh please post a video!

9 points · 1 month ago

Reddit now demands it.

my childhood dog dealt with years of kitten ambushes, he probably hated it so much since he was already old. but the last year when he could barely move if anyone beyond immediate family got close to him the cat went into full on "ill fucking kill you" mode. i hope the big guy knew the cat loved him.

To late to rename em Gus and Edna?

Old friends. Pretty sweet.

This reminds me so much of my old cat. It took her a lot of time and several stages to lay down.

Go hug them. If you've moved away and can make the trip, make it. It's a week for you but years for them. There's not always a tomorrow. Still miss my old childhood pets. Both passed while I was living overseas. Still feel bad. ( I guess this also stands for parents and grandparents )

My 14 year old dog died two months back while I was at college. The weekend before, my mom told me she had stopped eating and the end was near. I told her I was coming home. I would find a ride, I would take a bus, I would WALK home if I had to, I was seeing her one more time. I ended up getting a ride from my friend for an afternoon at the cost of a pretty important event for my fraternity. I don’t regret it at all.

I miss her every day. I’m sobbing while I write this

I'm sorry for your loss, I'm glad you made it in time. In the grand scheme of things it inconvenienced you a little, and it literally made your dogs life, seeing you one last time. 💙

I know your pain, my cat passed away when we were both 16, we got him when both me and him were babies, the only way we could get him to eat was tuna and chicken a few times, and water by putting him in a bath tub and lapping some towards him for over a month until we finally put him down

42 points · 1 month ago

“I guess” 😂 I agree with your whole sentiment, though :)

Fuck man. I’m at work and you just stirred up some old memories and now I’m fighting back tears. I miss my lil buddy :(

After reading this I went and played with my cats. They love when I put the end of a Cat Crazy under these nylon pet tubes. They have a blast figuring out where it is and then pouncing on it. I should devote more time to having fun with them. It's important. Thank you for reminding me.

6 points · 1 month ago

Yeah, Go home and see them as much as you can. Nothing is as important as your pets or family.

One of our cats died the day I was coming home from uni. Got hit by a car, I had no idea until I got home. Not the best way to return home, tbh.

277 points · 1 month agoGilded1 · edited 1 month ago

“Ted.”

“Henry.” I nosed him gently and crouched next to him. “Getting tired?”

“Yeah. We’re both getting old.”

“That we are, friend.”

I laid down next to Henry’s head and started washing him quietly. Poor boy smelled like dog.

“I think we did good with him, don’t you think?”

“I agree. He grew up into a fine man.” I curled next to him and closed my eyes.

Just a short thing I wrote

Edit: thanks so much for the person who gave me gold, you are the absolute best <3

God dammit now I’m crying

Good shit man

Poor boy smelled like dog.

That got a good laugh out of me

28 points · 1 month ago

So simple....but so sweet and effective. What a great little story 🙂 thanks for sharing.

Of course, always happy to make people smile :)

11 points · 1 month ago

Yeah...smiling. That's what I'm doing. Definitely not crying. I'm not crying, you're crying.

15 points · 1 month ago

This actually brought tears to my eyes. I love my dog.

I’m not crying, you’re crying....... :((

Too early for feelings man

WHY

Goddamn onion Ninja's got into my room again

Why did you bring onions?!?

Because I’m extra cruel

Muahahaha

This is the cutest, definitely a lot of onion chopping going on here

I am a master chef

Clearly! Keep up the fantastic work!

So my heart was bundled up and then ripped out and throw away

37 points · 1 month ago

Reminds me of woody and buzz after Andy went to college

Who’s cutting up onions in here?

Seriously this is so cute.

Go see them.

Original Poster17 points · 1 month ago

I plan to soon ❤️

11 points · 1 month ago

For you, I just squooshed and skritched the crap out of my previously sleeping 14yo cat. Currently she is still giving me side-eye and working on falling back asleep. Love your babies!

56 points · 1 month ago

Old pets are such a sad thing to see. You start to see them falling apart and know you can't really help.

I wonder if the thing to do would be to get a new puppy a few years before the old dog is likely to die. That way the old dog gets a fun send off and you get a head start on getting a new dog. That way you're not reeling from the sadness of the old dog's death while getting a new one. And you have a puppy to comfort you when it happens.

We recently adopted a young dog for partially this purpose. My old dog was sleeping all the time and just generally slowing down. I swear he acts like a puppy again now that we have the young dog to keep him active (young dog convinced old dog to get up and play instead of sleep). I honestly believe it's added years to his life by getting him a younger friend.

28 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I honestly believe it's added years to his life

This. It is absolutely great to get a puppy while you have an older dog. I have a Chow who was an only-dog her whole life. When she was 8, I got a Bernese Mountain Dog puppy and he absolutely changed her life. They've been together two and a half years now and it still amazes me how much happier and more active she is with her "little brother".

Edit: Some pictures of my pups.

3 points · 1 month ago

They’re so cute. Naya especially. I love chows ❤️

This goes for cats too. I have an 11 year old black cat and 4 year old black and white cat. I've seen my old boy play more than ever since we got her at 4 months. <3

Happened with my dog, he started to play with toys he hadn’t touched for years

When our childhood cat was 14, we thought he was pretty close to the end. His sister'd gone the year before, we'd lost another cat early that summer, and he was going white around the whiskers and definitely deaf, stiff, and slow. Had no attention for anything or anyone, just picked at his food and stared at nothing all day.

That fall, I found a kitten. Barely weaned, a scrappy little girl. She would not let him ignore her, and soon he began playing with her a little bit each day.

He lived six more years, made it nearly to 21.

9 points · 1 month ago

It’s good to have a replacement idea going. Sometimes second dogs can stress out the older dog. But I’ve replaced within 3 weeks of my senior girl passing and I have a friend who replaced within one day! She couldn’t be without a big dog to hug.

I can't go long without a big dog anymore. We've had dogs for the last 13 years. The longest without one in that time has been about 3 weeks. We typically adopt the oldest dog at the SPCA when we go. The Golden was 9 years old, the Lab they told me was 11 (adopted 2 years ago and still going at 13?), and the newest Coonhound mix is 10. There were 2 others of undetermined age when we adopted them.

You know the inevitable will come, you just don’t know when. All you can do is treat them right, look after them, cater to their age and ensure they have everything including love and attention. My cat is 17-18, his sight is going, his hearing is going, you can throw a treat past him and he won’t even notice unless you point at it. He also gets a lot more underfoot and sits stubbornly in the middle of our path. He’s let inside more, we monitor his eating, we give him a hottie at night, if he wants food, he gets it. He’s a big attention whore these days, meows to no end for us to let him in and give him a bit of attention.

I know it works for a lot of people but I know of two counterpoints, where the old dog just wanted peaceful scritches in their old age and really hated having a puppy trying to wrestle with them and splitting the humans attention.

Omg they’re so friggin sweet

This video makes me feel peaceful. Thank you so much for sharing it.

"hey smell my butt"

"fuck u mittens I'm trying to sleep"

With all the sad shit in this thread, this one gave Me a much needed laugh

Seconded!

Don't be fooled, old pets can be little shits too! My old guy would almost never fart, except when there were guests over at my apartment. Only then he would rip one and look at me with this look in his eye like he knew exactly what he was doing D:<

Both adorable! Made me tear up :(

Our cat was way too cantankerous to cuddle right up with the dog like this, but they always hung out in the same room and when the dog went my mom said the cat wandered around for months not knowing what to do with itself :(

Oh the head nuzzle gets me

Aaaww. I can hear creaking bones too, even though my sound is off. Bless

I've seen enough cat videos to think the cat was gunna slap him.

4 points · 1 month ago

"Turn down the volume, we're trying to sleep here" - old cat and dog

I'm am seriously touched by this. Right in the feels

I think having a dog around often helps with the longevity of a cat. The presence of the dog would ward off most other cats. Was just thinking, do you think the cat is doing that to smell like the dog and / or vice versa ? That would probably help too.

Old but good bois deserving a good pat. May the divine grant them long and pat-filled lives.

6 points · 1 month ago

We lost our Rotti 2 years ago from oral melanoma. We knew he and the cat were close, but not how much.

After he'd gone, she stopped eating after a fortnight. We struggled to keep her alive for 3 months, but it seems she missed the old boy too much. What we weren't aware of, was that we should have had her with us when he died. So she could see him. It was a terrible time and I still feel guilty. She went from 13 lbs to 5.

Our neighbours cat has since adopted us and it's helped a great deal. But I miss them a lot.

3 points · 1 month ago

Aww OP, they miss you! Go lay with them and give them lots of snugs!

My heart is so happy right now. Such love.

Hey rover, remember the good ol' days when Thatskingarav3n would come and visit and play with us? Yeah, i miss him too buddy :(

3 points · 1 month ago

You are my kind of people! I’m on my fourth senior adoption. I can’t stand that people take the best years of a fur baby’s life, but when they need extra care, they’re dumped off. It is expensive it is to own a pet for life. I love my senior pets no one else wants, and they love me more.

Aww. So sweet.

This makes my heart so happy.

Sweet babies.

This is so SO precious. 😭😭

My pit is 12 and this makes me sad that I only have a few more years with her

This is what Homeward Bound must have been like

2 points · 1 month ago

I hope for this when mine both get older. 5 years in and I don't think my cat has really accepted my pup beyond tolerance

The cat finally found it's chance to rub it's scent all over the dog's face.

HOLD THE PHONE IN LANDSCAPE DAD!

Total comfort, love and ease with each other so beautiful to see

Cat: "Big kitty, I love you!"

Dog: "Little doggo, I love you!"

This reminds me of my childhood pets, my cat & dog hated each other when they were little, couldn’t even have them in the same room sometimes, but as they got older they just started tolerating each other. They both died 2 or 3 years ago, and my cat was the first to go, my dog changed instantly, it was like she was the only reason he was still alive. He couldn’t even walk up the stairs properly to go to bed at night, and I started carrying him to my bed, he stopped eating properly and he just changed completely. We ended up having to get him put down 9 months later because his quality of life just wasn’t worth it anymore, he couldn’t even control his own bladder.

Hold onto them while you still can, you’re just as precious to them as they are to you

People. Take. Notes.

It like a quadraped oap support network, I'm cutting onions

Sooo freaking sweet 💜

This is very sweet 🙂

❤️

Beautiful

As good as it gets

❤️❤️

Why am I crying in the club right now??

Little giving trees

Dude it’s just like humans

An old dog. Sensing the end.

Man fuck y'all, my doggo is getting old and youre making me tear up thinking about him.

Man, this brings back bad memories. But I’m happy I got to experience all 7 of them. They were very loved.

This made me sob. I miss my childhood pets. My mom had my cat put down when I was in college and didn't tell me until the end of the semester.

That's so sad to watch. They miss you.

The nappening

I just got something in my eye I promise it's not a tear

The cat only wanted to scratch its side by using the dog :/

I read this as "they've boned a lot". I thought this was going to end differently.

I’m not crying. Who’s crying? YOURE CRYING

I’m not crying, I’ve something in my eye

-25 points · 1 month ago(0 children)
Comment deleted1 month ago
Original Poster18 points · 1 month ago

She’s alive and well :) just napping in a nice sunny patch.

-2 points · 1 month ago

My cats hate me dog. They are females and like male interaction around five minutes , after that , they’ll fk your hands up. Bitches

-2 points · 1 month ago

This cat is in a lot of pain. Your parents are letting this thing continue to suffer just because they can't handle the loss. The poor fucker is absolutely riddled with with arthritis or worse.

Don't let your pets suffer because you can't let go.

y i k e s

Things that make you go AWW! Like puppies, bunnies, babies, and so on... A place for really cute pictures and videos!

r/aww Rules
No "sad" content
No captioned Pictures
No asking for upvotes
No harassment
Posts must link to sites on our approved list
No NSFW content
No asking for donations or adoptions
No bots
No lying about ownership
No social media
PSA

Please spay and neuter your pets! While your newborn pets are cute, failing to do this allows your little darlings to add to the population of homeless animals. Adopt pets from your local animal rescues/shelters, there are plenty of animals just waiting for a home.