My cat is 21 with arthritis so my mom made a sling to carry her around

I carried my Bagheera (19 year old) in his last year of life like this. He wanted to spend every possible second in the sling

387 points · 1 month ago

:) ... :(

It makes me so happy that you and OP love and care for your kitties so much. It's a pure thing, sweet, simple, and complete.

But, then... it makes me sad that your animal companions were/are of ill health... and that time inevitably marches on.

It's this strange duality between the joy of animal companionship, and the inevitable conclusion of that relationship, that makes me pause in adopting my own kitty. I want to so badly, but I'm a big 'ole softie.

The sadness you feel when you lose a pet just shows how much your life was made better by them.

The happiness and love you get during their life is worth the pain.

OMG this is so spot on. Love it!

ANNNNNDDDD when that conclusion comes, you honor your passed companion by rescuing another one and give them a great life.

14 points · 1 month ago

We are just coming through our first "reset" of pets, and this is how we phrase it. It's our duty to give other animals the best life they can have to honor their "forefathers" (aka, our former pets).

Each one you lose takes a piece of your heart, but each one you adopt gives you a piece of theirs. Eventually your whole heart is replaced with floof.

Perfectly said, get that kitten and love it with all your heart. You'll never regret it, even after good bye.

I needed to hear this so much today

Just had to put my old boy kitty to sleep last week. I've never been so guilt stricken/upset before. I still catch myself looking where I walk to make sure I don't step on him.

Been a month since I had to do the same. Sometimes I still expect to see my guy down under my desk, basking in the warmth of my computer.

It's hard, but you shouldn't feel guilt about it - if he was so bad off that he needed your help to go (rather than suffer until he finally gave out), you showed him the ultimate act of selfless love.

Thanks. People have been telling me that and I'm starting to accept that and let go of the guilt.

2 points · 1 month ago

thanks butters

Wow I’ve never thought of it like that

About 2 weeks ago I posted this comment on a post about an elderly cat dying, think it fits in this conversation

“I feel your pain. It’s been 4 months since I had to put down my 19 year old Bagheera. Just today had a good cry after finding a audio file of him purring. It’s so hard to handle in the moment but it is also an integral part of our life experience. Saying goodbye is not easy but just try to focus on the years of love you had together & the happy life you gave your kitty. I know this might sound silly but this quote from Muppet Christmas Carol always helps me “It's all right, children. Life is made up of meetings and partings. That is the way of it. I am sure that we shall never forget Tiny Tim, or this first parting that there was among us.”

Comment deleted1 month ago

my eyes have leaked everywhere

13 points · 1 month ago

Glad to know I'm not the only one who still has a good cry once in awhile months after losing a pet. My cat, Monkey, died unexpectedly in December, and I'm still grieving. It's not a constant sadness like it was at first, but some days I still get knocked off my feet by his absence.

You'll never forget them but one thing that is helping me is visiting a shelter or adoption fest and just seeing all the cats and/or dogs and realizing you still want to share your life and love.

My husband and I adopted this little one in April, and he's definitely helping us heal. Some days it makes me even more sad because I notice how different he is from Monkey, but most days he just makes me smile because he's so relentlessly wonderful in his own ways. We're expecting our first human kid in a few months as well, and I love knowing that our kid will grow up along side a cat friend. I've had cats all my life, and they really are among my best friends. I miss all the fur buds I've lost over the years, but I've never regretted loving any of them.

I lost my childhood best friend in 2016 and I still tear up sometimes. I had a tuft of her fur encased in resin with some beautiful little baby’s breath flowers, and made into a necklace. I wear it when I miss her most.

Make sure you let yourself mourn. He wasn’t just an animal, he was your friend. If anyone tells you that mourning him is “dumb” or whatever, they’re flat out wrong.

You're so right. I'm glad all my friends have cherished pets as well because they all understand how hard it is to lose one.

Comment deleted1 month ago

I just had to put mine to sleep. He couldn't poop anymore and his kidneys had completely shut down. His life was going to become a misery of fluids forced into him and trips to the vet, sedations, etc with little extra life. I still went to the vet's to say my final goodbye and I couldn't even speak for fear of turning into a mess.

Time has helped, even a few days. Also I visited an adoption center and seeing the dogs and cats helped me a lot.

That look was probably, “thank you. I love you.”

14 points · 1 month ago

Eventually, when you think of them, you don't think of the end. You miss them; you miss the relationship. You think of what you did together.

Every time you lose a pet it's a chance to meet a new one. If my childhood cats were still alive there's at least six wonderful cats I would never have met otherwise... cats that may have been strays their whole life or ended up at the pound. Losing animals sucks but there's always other ones that need homes and love.

My cat has been missing for over a month. It’s such a helpless feeling.

Sorry to hear :( Hope it turns up soon.

Best of luck. I really hope your kitty comes home.

Did they have a chip? There’s still hope. I helped reunite a cat with her family after she had been missing for 6 months, because she had a chip.

Do you still have their litter box? People say that if you stick it outside, the smell can help them find their way home!

Cat is happiness. No cat is sadness.

Happy+Sad>Sad

GotoIf(Cat[labeliftrue:[Sad]])

It’s always sad to lose them but it’s nice to know you gave them a good life, way better than being stuck in a shelter or on the streets.

I won’t lie, it hurts like hell to lose your beloved friend. You wonder if they knew how much they meant to you, if they knew you loved them even though sometimes you’d brush them away when they were pestering you or when you accidentally stepped on their paw.

But they know. And you know they love you back, even though they can’t say the words.

I dread the day my baby cat passes. She brings me so much joy and makes me laugh every day.

The experience of being best friends with a member of another species is indescribable, and even though it’s going to hurt like a bitch when she goes, it’s worth it. I love her and I’ve loved getting to know her. She’s so sweet and I’m so happy I have been able to give her a good life. She deserves it!

You won’t regret getting a kitty. Even when they pass, you won’t regret it, because you’ll have gotten to know and love a sweet little soul.

I do always recommend that you let a cat choose you; if you let the cat approach you and check you out first, you’re already selecting for friendly cats and you’ll probably have a better experience as a pet owner.

Find a shelter and meet your new friend!

Many many years of happiness and furry love for (hopefully) only a brief period of sickness and sadness. I think it weighs heavily on the happiness side of the equation.

Honestly, I think it's good for us to experience death. Getting to feel the pain of a pet dying can help prepare us for how to deal with the pain of a human loved one dying. We've insulated ourselves from death a lot in modern society, and I'm not sure that's good. I grew up with animals, and I'm glad I learned how to grieve with my parents holding me in their arms, instead of trying to figure it out for the first time when my parents die.

That said, every pet death hurts like a knife in the gut. And I'm not confident I'm going to be ok when my catman Ham passes. He's my best buddy.

It's so worth it. The pain of losing an animal doesn't last nearly as long as the joy it brings you while together

Great comment. Dr Ray DeAngelo talks a lot about duality on his show Chakra Attack. You should give it a listen.

I was in the exact same predicament as you are. Then I met Fluffbutt.

He died six years ago. It still sucks. I still have no regrets making that initial decision to bring him into the family.

It's sort of like meeting that special one. The decision was never mine to make; it had already been made for me when I met him.

4 points · 1 month ago

My cat Pazzo (18) lost the ability to walk in the last few days of his life. We used something similar to carry him around also.

Baggie was unable to use his back legs for the last year of his life from having a stroke. He was still quiet mobile but sort of did a seated scoot, when not being carried. Our young Manx, Stella, learned to play fight with Baggie laying on her side... amazingly sometimes he still beat her up! (He was a 25 lb cat in his prime- not fat just huge)

My black cat was named bagheera !! I didn't think anyone else named their cat from the jungle book lol

Amazingly our Bagheera came to us with that name. I’m a Disney fanatic so was well aware of its origins. We got him at a little over a year & sadly he had already been front declawed. Funny enough I have a friend with a long haired black Maine Coon (just like my baggie) named Bagheera.

Comment deleted1 month ago

My heart 😢 thanks for sharing

249 points · 1 month ago

Thispost just made me realize that my 17 year old cat is needier than ever & ì should spend more time with him. Thanks

ì

Don’t think you were too sneaky to get that past me!

I hope you have many more years to love him

Thank you for a thoughtful wish Much appreciated

My 18 year old wanted to held like a baby in my arms. If you put her down, she’d come right back. My arm would go numb as I worked one handed on my computer. I’d hold her for hours, cradling her on her back in my left arm.

155 points · 1 month ago

That's really beautiful. She sounds like she was a very good cat.

Who's cutting onions in this thread?

Thank you. She was.

She truly loved me. She slept by my head. When I’d roll over, she’d move to the other side so she was facing my face, every single time, all night long. I woke up one time and opened one eye, all I could see was another eyeball staring back at me. She’d put her eye up to mine waiting for me to wake up. I didn’t deserve her. Kiki, RIP. I have her ashes in a special box. Gonna have her scattered with mine.

She loved you, and she was obviously loved just as much in return. Makes me miss my tiny girl who disappeared one night after a roomate let her outside.

I’m so so to hear that. I know someone took her in and took care of her.

We lived in a rural area. The neighbours saw a coyote hanging around. Just the thought of her so scared and alone and hurting kills me. I would always whisper to her (my crazy cat lady is about to show, don’t judge) “you’re always safe with me tiny girl” when she’d be nuzzling into my face and purring at night. I feel so guilty that I couldn’t follow through and keep her safe. They trust us so much and I let her down.

I say this to my cat too. Yesterday there were fireworks so I said it a lot.

That is scary. I live in a rural area now. I let my dog out to run around the yard and worry if he'll come back (he weighs 17 pounds, a dachshund). :(

Definitely be watchful. She was at an age where she was still quick and mobile, but preferred to stay close to home. She would rarely go outside unless it was to follow me around the yard. I didn’t ever let her out at night due to raccoons, snakes, coyotes etc. She must have been crying at the door that night to go and sit on the front path like she enjoyed sometimes, and he let her out at 2am. Those wild animals are brutal.

So sorry. They are like our children.

5 points · 1 month ago

I know coyotes can sometimes be culprits but if your cat had front claws they almost assuredly left her alone. She was probably picked up and cared for by another family.

I do hope you’re right, but it’s unlikely. Where we lived didn’t leave much room for that to be an opportunity. 2am on a dead end rural road, we knew the neighbours, and she never left the yard anymore. We’re in south Florida with a lot of aggressive wildlife. The remnants of a neighbours cat was found a year prior in their back yard. The cat was on a screened lanai, and the animal made a hole in the screen. They went looking after coming home to find blood everywhere and the cat gone.

2 points · 1 month ago

I've lived out in the boonies by farmland surrounded by coyotes that would come calling every now and again, they tried the cats once and that was it. The cats would often roam around to abandoned lots for the day and come back. I'd still be pretty hopeful she's out there and wandered to a road somewhere or started her own family.

I live in a rural area and my cat, Ginger, would sometimes roam, and not come home at night. She was in the prime of life and fearless, and we don't have large predators here, like coyotes, so I didn't worry too much. One morning when I went for a walk after she didn't come home, I saw a young eagle trying to lift something. I hoped and prayed that it was a rabbit, but when I came closer I realized that no, it was my sweet Ginger. She was long gone. At least I could bring her remains home to bury, and I didn't have to wonder what happened to her, but I still grieve, especially about her violent end. My remaining cat, Nutmeg, is now 17 and crippled with arthritis. She sometimes wants to go out, but I don't let her. She would have no defense against the critters out there.

9 points · 1 month ago

Okay this really hits hard for me, my boyfriend and I’s cat Kiki just passed last week. She was such a sweet little girl, and she went in such a violent way it’s been honestly tearing me apart. For her to be there just a few days ago and now she’s.... gone. I’m never going to wake up with her smooshing her face into mine, or laying on my stomach during cold nights.

I feel for you. May i ask what happened to your sweet girl?

My Ragnar passed away after a neighbours dog attacked him. He was the sweetest little thing, and loved me so much. It's been 5 months and writing this still makes me cry. My other two girls still aren't the same, and I'm certain Miley saw it happen as she lost a lot of weight and didn't set foot outside for a couple of months afterward :(

4 points · 1 month ago

His little brothers left the door open, and she snuck out when no one noticed :( she only got five houses down before a coyote snatched her..

RIP, KiKi.

Oh no I'm so sorry! That's just awful! RIP both our little kitties ♡

My mom's cat yells at her if she rolls over in her sleep. :-) The twit is spoiled rotten

Enjoy all the time you can with her.

She's a purr-ito! Joking aside, I have arthritis and I can't imagine watching my beloved cat, Mo, be in pain like that. Your mom is amazing.

Something that helps me is a mud pack. You can warm it and it forms around my aching joints. Do you think that might be something that would help?

(Innoka Dual Hot & Cold Large Therapy Treatment Clay Pack with Adjustable Strap for Relief Knee Elbow Back Body Pain - Blue

They make natural heating pads for pets on Etsy. They don't plug in so there's no way Kitty's skin can get overheated or scorched.

I think you can also chill some of them.

I didn't know there was such a thing! Very cool 😁 Thank you u/MeanTelevision 💕

Very welcome <3

I don't have arthritis or anything but wheat bags are amazing - similar to hot water bottles but you can microwave them. Would be good for people/cats

I may need to look into these. I'm 29 and have had RA. I've been considered in remission since I lost weight but every now and again it flares up. Thanks for sharing!

Your mom is good 😇

43 points · 1 month ago

My heart!

Original Poster88 points · 1 month ago

Thanks for all these positive comments! It means a lot!

Have you considered cbd oil to help

Get this cat a vape pen

Dogs vape, cats hit bongs.

Comment deleted1 month ago
Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

She can move my mom just made a sling where did I say “my mom has to carry her because she has lost her ability to move”?

You said it in those there quotation marks.

Oh my God I'm gonna die

Awwww,thank you kind hoomans.This sweet old lady deserves all the love she can get!

It might be time.....

It’s so tough to know when you’re that close. But it really is about quality of life with pets, not quantity. At some point you have to realize you’re keeping them alive for you, not for them.

I regret to this day not putting my pug down earlier. She was heavily sedated and hadn’t been herself for awhile. That dog was in pain but I still couldn’t do it.

28 points · 1 month ago

This is a very poignant comment. We kept our goldie going for a year and a bit longer than we should have - she had arthritis in all of her legs and couldn’t walk up stairs, yet we did the selfish thing because we felt we just couldn’t say goodbye to her.

14 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Yeah my aunt and uncle had this dog that was like 17 or 18 years old, he was a medium sized breed too so that’s pretty rare. It’s like a human living past 100, it’s not pretty. They loved him so much they wouldn’t let go and neither would the dog. By the end he was completely blind, had arthritis so bad he could barely move, he was still a sweetheart but he had no quality of life. I would go over to house sit for them when I was younger and I remember thinking it’s time haha. Then one day I heard my parents say the dogs name in passing and I asked what they were talking about and they said the dog had stopped breathing and was essentially dead and my uncle gave him mouth to mouth and cpr and brought him back to life...and he lived for a few more months....

Yeah, my dog was 17, pretty damn old for a medium sized dog. He'd been in some pain from arthritis, but as long as got up and moved around a bit his joints warmed up and he did fine. Gave him some meds for it.

He started declining pretty fast one day. He went from running around to wobbling and staring out of the fence over the course of 2 months. Same week my mother died, he stopped eating one night and the next morning he wouldn't get up. Took him to the vet that day. :/ We were hoping he'd hold on at least a week more until after my brother's birthday but oh well. We weren't going to let him starve. He was done.

This so much. It is really hard decision to put a pet down, but if you are carrying them around in a sling its probably time. They can't tell you they are in pain, and they love you so they will get "up" when you are around.

We have put down several pets in the last 5 years and these two methods worked to help us.

1. Pick 3 things your pet loves. When they either no long show interest in that or can't do that, then its time.

2. Count good days / bad days. When the bad days outnumber the good ones, its time.

We waited far too long on our first cat. And I feel really guilty about it. The next pet we were more aggressive. We could have gotten a few more months but at what price? The last one, I think we timed it just perfect.

Ive been struggling with this because my boy keeps rallying. We think he’ll be close to the end and he pulls through and is “fine” so it’s hard to know.

It’s hard to know when is the time.

Terrible to think about, but maybe true. Shame on those who downvoted you for trying to be humane.

Many people have hard time letting to and moving on, but that's an element in life that everyone has to learn at some point. Have to keep moving forward and not dwell on the past that cannot be changed.

-3 points · 1 month ago

I downvoted him for the unwanted input. He doesn't know this cat's quality of life and I'm sure OP's family have thought about it themselves. She might be reasonably happy being curled up in a cozy sling.

I mean when you post things on the internet especially on sites known for comments you can't really be mad about people voicing their own opinions.

1 more reply

someone needed to say to the OP they should wonder whether its time. People keep pets around for themselves far too frequently.

-1 points · 1 month ago

Did someone really need to? Do you really think the thought hadn't crossed the family's mind? People have different views on when the right time for euthanasia is.

1 more reply

2 more replies

13 points · 1 month ago

My roommate let their cat circle the living room / kitchen 24/7 because it was skin and bones with a thyroid condition that left her under-satiated with constant hunger. She couldn't let her cat go, causing issues like ruining a wood floor in a rental with urinary issues. Poor thing had to reach the end.

She couldn't let her cat go and as a side note, made everyone around her suffer too.

Couldn’t that be controlled? I think the issue with that situation is more that she wasn’t properly caring for it when easily done, not that the cat was beyond help.

My cat had diabetes and had almost the exact same symptoms that you described, with the weight and the peeing everywhere, but as soon as I got him to the vet his quality of life improved again.

It took effort on my part. I had to give him insulin twice a day and control his feeding schedule, and sometimes test his blood sugar levels. I had to give up some freedom to be home and care for him at certain times of the day, but that’s a risk I took on when I decided to adopt a pet.

Sorry your roomate wasn’t responsible! I just think the issue in that case was less that he cat was ready to go and more that she was irresponsible.

She was a responsive owner in the way that she would pour any amount of money into helping her cat, but she couldn't be helped :(

2 points · 1 month ago

My cat was like this for her last year. But the vet just shrugged and didn't diagnose anything, and my parents wouldn't bring her back until it was too late, no matter how much I begged. I'll always resent them for that, and feel guilty for not getting her there myself. I didn't have a car or money at the time, but I should have somehow. She could have had a much better time with proper treatment.

Hopefully people like this are the minority of cat owners that’s awful

Mmhmm. Or get kitty on some medication if not on some already. Though I’m sure the sling is appreciated.

-1 points · 1 month ago

I mean, that's not really your decision. I'm sure the cat's owners know better what's best for her.

I think that’s getting close to why the commenter brought it up. My sister refused to put her elderly pet down, even when it was obvious the quality of life was beyond an acceptable level.

Tons of owners simply don’t know when to make the decision because it’s such a hard one. It took a lot of convincing and reasoning with her, but afterwards she felt much better about the decision because she knew it was the right one.

Some people just need to be reminded.

5 points · 1 month ago

Our maybe, just maybe, randomers on the internet should keep their opinions to themselves more often.

11 points · 1 month ago

not always, I had a hard time accepting my moms decision to put my dog down, but looking back she was completely right. She had gotten to a point where sometimes her back legs would give out and she couldn't get her self back up adn was it pain, it just wasn't a good quality of life for her. I am glad I had influence there, if this cat truly needs a to be carried around I think you are getting to a point there. An animal relying on being carried around is not a good quality of life for them.

7 points · 1 month ago

According to who? A lot of older cats pretty much just want a cozy place to sleep. As long as didn't seem to be in constant severe pain, I wouldn't be in a rush to end her life just for being old and disabled. But it's not my decision or yours.

17 points · 1 month ago

That’s definitely not always the case.

I had to have a talk with my mom about it being time to put her dog down. The thing has to get a shot of insulin 2x a day, which the dog hates btw. If the dog doesn’t get it, it will essentially die. The dog also has problems holding her piss and will “leak”. It’s time to put her down. Sometimes she falls coming up the stairs and is basically blind. My mom was having trouble facing that reality and kept making executes because it’s an extremely hard thing to do and sometimes the dog “has good days and acts like a puppy.”

She’s being selfish, plain and simple.

I’ve seen people simple refuse to put down their pets and they died on the floor covered in their own piss and shit because they can’t get up. That’s fucked. Being a pet owner means being responsible and doing the right thing when it’s time.

If your animal is in pain/suffering or living an extremely poor quality of life, it’s your responsibility as the owner to put them down, plain and simple.

I’m not saying that’s the case for the cat in the picture, I don’t know the situation, but people can absolutely be shitty and not do the right thing and put an animal down when it’s time.

7 points · 1 month ago

I mean there are plenty of old people in states like your mom's dog was. Most of them don't actually want to die. Just saying.

Not saying it was the wrong decision, but don't act like it's ethically simple. It's not wrong to let your pet go on if they have good, happy days sometimes. It's rarely a black and white situation.

Hah. I'm sorry, but that typo really made me chuckle in a relatively downer comment chain.

5 points · 1 month ago

Typically it's the opposite, and it's understandable. You don't want to let go of a pet that you love, nothing strange about it. It becomes hard to see what might be best for them. Others might be able to be more objective about it.

2 points · 1 month ago

Except all you know about this cat is this post title and picture of her asleep. People are so judgemental.

20 points · 1 month ago

Just remember to always put the animals needs before yours. If it's time to put her to sleep, then its time. No matter how much it hurts. There is almost nothing worse than seeing people keeping animals alive, that are in constantly daily pain and have little life quality left in time.

But if the pet doctor says the cat still lives a happy life with life quality then good :)

Rice sock? Helps my pain.

I have one for monthly cramps and while my kitty wont lean on it, I sometimes catch her warming just her paws on it when I get up for tea

Our 18 year old boy has been enjoying an infrared basking lamp we set up for him. He's definitely less stiff and creaky after spending some time under it.

This housing and this lamp are what we used. The housing has a dimmer so we can adjust the heat for him, and he goes in and out of it throughout the day as he feels the need for some warmth.

Precious baby 🤧 must protect!!

You are supposed to love a human like that, you are expected to love a dog like that, ...but if you can love a cat like that you, I think, really get love..not always instant return on your investment, but there WILL be a return. . A toast to my beautiful giant tabby, Schroeder..R.I.P my perfect boy...you , I think, were the love of my life...and I am more than fine with that.

Don’t think about how much time she has left. We tend to lose on a lot just by worrying about it. Make every day count. I send her comfort kisses.

Your mom deserves a cookie and the cat deserves some catnip for reaching such an old age! Strong kitty!

From a vets perspective- it is beyond time recommended for euthanasia. It is hard to let them go, they are our support systems through life. But this is not a good quality of life. Assuming they can't walk on their own then there are probably also urination and defecation issues. Not to mention extreme pain. I hope they are getting joint supplements and other prescription medications to help with pain and quality of life. Please discuss further with your veterinarian.

It is not living a good life like this it might be time.

Honestly, I’m sorry for all the comments you’re getting OP. I’m sure people mean well, but they aren’t the people who have to make that decision. I’m sure you’re doing all that you can, and what you think is best. I can’t imagine how difficult this must be for you, and people are being outright malicious.

Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Thanks I didn’t know there was people who cared so much on reddit :D this means a lot

My 6 y/o dog just got diagnosed with severe arthritis most likely caused by severe trauma as a puppy. He’s never shown an ounce of being in pain until a month ago, and we’re doing everything we can to help him. I’m an absolute mess over it, and I can’t even think about how I’d feel if these comments were directed at me. It’s easy to write words on the internet. It’s difficult to be the one actually experiencing it. You make that decision with the people who know and love you, on your own time. It’s nobody else’s fucking business.

5 points · 1 month ago

So great that you're keeping her comfortable and loved. My cat was sort of ill for her last year (kidney failure), but the lousy vets didn't figure out what was going on until it was too late. Wish I had that year back to spend every minute possible with her.

1 more reply

I have a lot of join problems and bone pain. I take bone broth and it helps so much. It’s anti inflammatory. I bet your kitty would love bone broth and it might help their arthritis.

Your cat looks just like my late cat! It warms my heart to see how much you care for her. It’s amazing she’s 21, mine only made it to 15.

Not sure if this is aww or selfish. I am a firm beleive in putting my animals down when their quality of life is gone.

I don't beleive in letting an animal suffer because I am too weak to put it down because of the pain it will cause me.

Sorry to sound like a sour asshole, but it's just were I stand on this situation.

Glad you all had 2+ decades to spend together. Wish you the best.

It is an extremely difficult decision and I give OP the benefit of the doubt that they are considering their pets quality of life. Arthritis does not necessarily mean they are suffering. It is commonly treated with pain medication.

Human adults living with arthritis still can find enjoyment in life, I don’t see why that can’t mean the same for cats.

-16 points · 1 month ago(10 children)

You strive to survive on your own... They strive to keep the cat alive. If they didn't go the extra mile for the cat it would probably go in a dark confined area and die on its own. There is a huge difference.

If I didn't have help to survive, I may not fare too well. You saying we should never help sick or disabled animals? You seem awfully sure this cat doesn't want to live.

2 more replies

Seriously? your going to there with it?...The fact that you can communicate your wants and needs is qutie a big difference between you and an animal.. An animal unable to move and in pain is time for it to be put down. I didn't want to put down by dog because I loved her but had to be talked in to the realization that her quality of life was bad and looking back it was absolutely the right decision.

4 points · 1 month ago

Why do people assume that the animal would want to be put down rather than endure any pain? Plenty of people with arthritis don't want to die. Just seems a weird assumption.

Also, for all we know this cat is on plenty of pain meds and is quite happy being carried around. If she was in constant agony it would be different, but you can't just assume that.

If it’s hereditary and there’s no cure? Yeah, maybe

Well fuck you too, edgelord.

2 more replies

I'm not crying. You're crying....

She needs some cannabis.

Omg thats so sweet. Give your mom and cat a hug:)

6 points · 1 month ago

This broke me into pieces :(

I love your Mom and her cat! I'm sure that you got her compassion....spread it around. The world needs more compassion:)

hey... do you have access to CBD? its incredible for arthritis, among other things.

2 points · 1 month ago

was just going to mention this. try looking into it op!

1 more reply

Get some CBD pet products. It will give her a boost in life quality

Get cbd oil for her. My friend uses it on her 16 year old cat and it works great

☺️Warms my heart!

My babyboy cat loved to be held and carried around. I wish I would have figured out a good sling for him in his last months.

Your mom is the best! 💗

Your mum is my personal hero.

2 points · 1 month ago

More pics of your cat pls OP

aww this is so sweet and so sad. I hope my kitty lives a long life. He's 10 now

That is so sweet.

AWWW

I got diagnosed with arthritis when I was 19. I wish someone would carry me around in a sling..

Such a sweet thing to do for your aging kitty. And now I’m crying thinking of my cats getting old. :’(

❤️

Sweetest and best thing I've seen all day!

I have arthritis too but no one carries me around

12 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I would get the cat put down at this point tbh

EDIT: Down voting, lol. If you seriously think you should keep a pet alive despite its old age and phsyical problems you are delusional and self-centered.

I think a big part of the down votes are coming from calling someone's loved pet an "it".

Its just rude.

Honestly, I have to agree. Deciding the right time to put down a pet is one of the hardest decisions I've personally ever had to make, but at the same time, I couldn't stand to see the little beings that I had come to love like family suffer. Once a pet's quality has deteriorated to a certain point, it's not right to let them continue to be in pain.

Awww adorable. You should look into if CBD pet treats could help with the arthritis. I have heard many success stories from other pet owners.

Yes this!

If a cat is in pain and needs to be carried around isn’t it time to consider putting it down? Not trying to be mean or anything.

Look into CBD oil!

Came to say this. It would help tremendously

I’m sorry you’re getting so many comments to put her down. That’s between family members as to the right time. Thanks for taking such good care of her as a beautiful old lady. ☺️

My cat 18. Severe arthritis. Also had issues getting around. Month 2 here on CBD oil. Phenomenal results...

I wish I had one of these when my 19 year old was alive. She was quite happy to never let her feet touch the ground. I basically carried her around most of the time I was in the house. She could walk, she just rathered be stuck to me like glue. I kinda miss that now that she's gone. :)

After so many years she is a family member. So, everything for the family <3

I love how old pets are babies and old people at the same time

Poor kitty. At least she's loved!

aaawwwwww

That looks so much like my dear departed kitty!

A hall to die in and men to bury me.

I would do this for my cat if it ever comes down to it.

I love your mom and you and cat

Aw little baby

i can't handle so much sweet

I bet you’ve had some great times and you probably have some great stories, best wishes to you and your fluff.

😘

Poor baby ❤️❤️

Toby Gillis and I send greeting from the 20+ year old feline club. He's been with me since I opened his eyes with a sponge in 1998. (Mommy cat wasn't doing it.) Also Gillis was the only kitten born!

Your mom is so thoughtful.:)

I love this so much! My mom did this with our cat when she suffered a stroke at an old age, she would carry her around all day in a blanket and whisper to her.

21 years old and still curling them feetsies ... please x-post to /r/CurledFeetsies

Thanks Mom!

My cat was 19 and had arthritis, so I bought Cosequin treats and he was walking around in like 3 days.

I'm not crying you're crying

Cute

Wouldn't it be much more humane to put the cat down?

8 more replies

Things that make you go AWW! Like puppies, bunnies, babies, and so on... A place for really cute pictures and videos!

r/aww Rules
No "sad" content
No captioned Pictures
No asking for upvotes
No harassment
Posts must link to sites on our approved list
No NSFW content
No asking for donations or adoptions
No bots
No lying about ownership
No social media
PSA

Please spay and neuter your pets! While your newborn pets are cute, failing to do this allows your little darlings to add to the population of homeless animals. Adopt pets from your local animal rescues/shelters, there are plenty of animals just waiting for a home.