ArchivedModerator of r/azerbaijan

Cultural exchange with /r/Israel!

Welcome all to our cultural exchange with /r/Israel!

In this thread we will answer any questions about Azerbaijan.

/r/Azerbaijan, go to this thread to ask anything about Israel.

Have fun!

-- /r/Azerbaijan moderators

8 points · 1 year ago

Hello /r/Azerbaijan!

• What do you think of Israel and Israelis (if any)? Have you met some?

• In what light whould you say your media reports on Israel?

• What is your opinion on Russia and Iran?

• It I were to come to Azerbaijan, where would you reccomand me to travel?

• (political obviously) What is your take on your conflict with Armenia and could you explain to me it's history.

• Favorite food I should try.

Thank you!

Comment deleted1 year ago
5 points · 1 year ago

approximately 2 times more azerbaijanis in Iran than Azerbaijan.

Has there been any support to try and reunite Iranian Azerbaijan With Azerbaijan Proper?

Forgot to add: Is Azerbaijan safe for Israelis to travel? I actually am thinking if I should travel to Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and am not sure how safe will it be because of close ties with Iran.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this.

Israel7 points · 1 year ago

Forgot to add: Is Azerbaijan safe for Israelis to travel?

Absolutely! I would hesitate to walk down the street in Sweden with a kippah, but not in Azerbaijan. In Azerbaijan no one will give you a hard time.

I'd like to travel here. I'm really into your countries heritage and all that. You guys seem like pretty cool people.

Israel4 points · 1 year ago

Conflict between Armenian and Azerbaijan started in 1988 due to territorial claims of Armenia to Azerbaijan. Nagorno-Karabakh and seven other districts (Agdam, Lachin, Kalbajar, Fuzuli, Qubadli, Jabrayil, Zangilan) - 20% of Azerbaijan's territory are still under military occupation by Armenia. Armenian propaganda machine attempts to sell regime in Nagorno-Karabakh as "independent state" in order to cover up its military occupation by "fighting for independence" cause of local Armenians in Karabakh. However the population of Karabakh is not just Armenian and all non-Armenians were murdered or expelled from Karabakh by Armenian military forces in 1990-s as a result of ethnic cleansing.

UN Security Council issued 4 resolutions demanding unconditional withdrawal of Armenian armed forces from Nagorno-Karabakh and all other occupied territories of Azerbaijan.

Azerbaijan1 point · 1 year ago

I had a classmate from Israel in my school.

What single picture can summarise Azerbaijan?

Comment deleted1 year ago

Wow great photos! :)

Israel2 points · 1 year ago

Wow, the first picture is really pretty.
*nabs for desktop background*

2 points · 1 year ago

or this picture of old Baku shows how old and new, past and the future meets with each other

I always put this picture to summarise Baku.

Israel1 point · 1 year ago
Israel2 points · 1 year ago

Hello /r/Azerbaijan! Is classical music common/popular in Azerbaijan? Are there any famous orchestras that play it, or famous conductors?

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago · edited 11 months ago

deleted 0.4628 What is ^^^this?

Israel1 point · 1 year ago

I think you misunderstood my question. I wasn't asking about traditional Azeri music; I was asking about Classical music - you know, Bach and Mozart and Beethoven and whatnot?

Original Poster1 point · 1 year ago · edited 11 months ago

deleted 0.9818 What is ^^^this?

Israel4 points · 1 year ago

Hello /r/Azerbaijan!

• What would you say are the signature foods of your country?

• What is the best music to come out of Azerbaijan? (I don't mind foreign language lyrics)

• Best hiking areas in the country? The region has always been on my list for backpacking

Comment deleted1 year ago
Israel2 points · 1 year ago

Thanks for the great answer!

What is your music taste? I'll try share azerbaijani music in your taste?

I like a bit of everything, emphasis on anything "funky" per-se

Comment deleted1 year ago
Israel1 point · 1 year ago

The first of that modern selection and the wedding sounded shockingly similar to some Jewish music! And it looks like Azerbaijan is not immune to some of the mainstream trends in the west either

Comment deleted1 year ago
Israel1 point · 1 year ago

To be honest, I'd have a hard time indicating one song. Most of my early life was very saturated with Jewish/Israeli music and it all kind of meshed into one blob.

Although generally speaking, some of the melodic progressions and scales remind me of klezmer, a Eastern European variety of Jewish music

Original Poster1 point · 1 year ago · edited 11 months ago

deleted 0.3216 What is ^^^this?

Israel1 point · 1 year ago

Do you have any interesting traditional Azeri music to share?

Comment deleted1 year ago
Israel1 point · 1 year ago

Hm, I like those. Particularly the first and the fourth. Pray tell, can you tell me what instruments they're using in the first video? And what's the significance of the big stone one of the guys is using as a drum?

Comment deleted1 year ago
Israel1 point · 1 year ago

Interesting!
Re: instruments, what about the woodwinds?

Comment deleted1 year ago
Israel1 point · 1 year ago

Aha! *snaps fingers* That's why it sounds similar - it's similar to the Armenian Duduk in some ways.
Anyway I like the bit you've linked and I'll definitely add Mr Samedov to my listening list :)

A Nagara seems similar to a Darbuka. Cool.

Original Poster1 point · 1 year ago · edited 11 months ago

deleted 0.9112 What is ^^^this?

Israel2 points · 1 year ago

Thanks a lot, mate!

1 point · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

They organise hiking tours almost every week.

Qiymetler bahadi. Alternativ

Original Poster2 points · 1 year ago · edited 11 months ago

deleted 0.9570 What is ^^^this?

Israel2 points · 1 year ago

Thank you! Always great to have some new tunes to listen to.

I really liked Lezginka and some of Hajibeyov's stuff! But your taste has a couple tracks that have definitely been added to my collection.

2 points · 1 year ago

What would you say are the signature foods of your country?

My personal opinion is that it's Saj. That's what I eat every time I come back to Baku from my studies.

It seems to me that this clip is the best this year so far. This is my favorite from 2014.

And this singer is my No 1 in the history of Azerbaijani music.

If it's hiking, then it's Baku. Most of other places are more about climbing than hiking. Quba and Ganja (Hajikend in particular) mountains have the most beautiful spots I've ever seen.

1 point · 1 year ago

What is the best music to come out of Azerbaijan?

Bayatilar by Eldar Mansurov

This music has been released in many versions worldwide, including the popular "Stereo Love" by Edward Maya.

Israel2 points · 1 year ago

Hey /r/Azerbaijan!

What is the general public opinion on Iran and Israel?

1 point · 1 year ago

What is the general public opinion on Iran

I guess this will give you an idea better than my answer.

Left Baku when I was 4 years old, visited Baku twice since, last time in 2009. How much changed since?

7 years passed, of course it changed a lot. These short videos may help to judge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyg3UKG4SxA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbZzrIKqm20

Hello everyone!

What are some famous Azerbaijani foods? What are your favourites?

What is your favourite musician from azerbaijan?

What can we as Israelis do to help you liberate your land that is currently occupied by Iran?

Azerbaijan (Azərbaycan), also known as the "Land of Fire", is a country with a fascinating history and unique cultural heritage. Historically, the country has been both a Soviet Republic and a part of Persia. The country regained its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, and modern Azerbaijan has emerged as a Western-looking, independent, secular state with a vibrant and diverse culture.

r/azerbaijan Rules
No personal attacks on other users
Submissions must be directly related to Azerbaijan
No editorialized titles for news and articles
Content must be in Azerbaijani, English or Turkish
No accusations of rules violations in comments