ArchivedModerator of r/azerbaijan

ようこそ and Welcome to our cultural exchange with /r/newsokur!

Welcome all to our cultural exchange with /r/newsokur (Japan)!

In this thread we will answer any questions about Azerbaijan.

/r/Azerbaijan, go to this thread to ask anything about Japan.

Enjoy!

The moderators of /r/azerbaijan and /r/newsokur

Is the Caspian Sea a lake or sea ?
I think that the Caspian Sea is a lake.

7 points · 1 year ago

It's a lake in geographical sense, but you better call it a sea.

This issue is also politicised, because we still didn't come up on how to divide it.

Hello Friends! I'm from /r/newsokur

I am interested in culture and life in the former Soviet Union era.

We Japanese often hear how is life in Russia at the era. but rarely hear Azerbaijan's life of those days.

I would like to listen to your story of the Soviet era!

Azerbaijan South4 points · 1 year ago

I would like to listen to your story of the Soviet era!

The Soviet era had its ups and downs. The Soviets helped modernize Azerbaijan, there were foreigners from all over the USSR who came to work here and develop the country. Azerbaijan was known very well for its oil exports in the SU.

One of the big downsides was probably all the Azerbaijanis who lost their lives fighting for the Soviet Union during WW2. It's said that about 600,000 Azerbaijanis served in the Soviet Army, and around 290,000 died (that's almost 50%).

4 points · 1 year ago

290,000 died

You forgot to count those who were sent to GULAG for being imprisoned by Germans.

9 points · 1 year ago

In Japan, the country name "Azerbaijan" is used as poor pun.
In Japanese "やればいいじゃんアゼルバイジャン" is the poor pun. It means "I think you should behave what you want to do." The pronunciation "ばいいじゃん" is the same as "baijan".
Many Japanese people know the country name Azerbaijan because of this pun.

Azerbaijan5 points · 1 year ago

poor pun

That's an interesting fact)), Baku is also a word in Japanese(comics), afaik.

1 point · 1 year ago

Baku is also a word in Japanese(comics)

Do you mean Bakuman?

Azerbaijan2 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

[baku](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku_(spirit) no, baku - some sort of supernatural creature)), mostly used in mangas.

1 point · 1 year ago

Can you name the most popular manga where it's used? I know yokai and tanuki. I also heard about baku, but never came across it.

Azerbaijan2 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago
1 point · 1 year ago

Oh, so original)

Azerbaijan1 point · 1 year ago

On any torrent tracker, just type baku, you'll find bunch of them. Actually I'm not a big fan of comics, so i wouldn't know the popular ones.

1 point · 1 year ago

comics

It's called manga

Azerbaijan1 point · 1 year ago

i mean globally, i'm not into that stuff, not just mangas, but all sort of comics.

Japan2 points · 1 year ago

Baku is "貘" in chinese character.
It is Fantastic Beast of China, and also real beast "Tapir".

4 points · 1 year ago

poor pun

I'm not sure what does that mean.

Many Japanese people know the country name Azerbaijan because of this pun.

The name actually means Land of Fire. Azer - fire, baijan - land of. This doesn't work in modern Azerbaijani, though.

The reason for such naming is that in ancient time, oil would spill on land, lakes and the sea and burn. Also, till this day, there's a place where water coming from underground is burning and also Yanar Dagh, which literally translates as burning mountain. Though, it's more of a burning hill. Gas that is coming from beneath it is constantly burning. (Side note: I think, we could learn from Japan to exploit such tourist attractions even more)

All these burning stuff made Azerbaijan a religious center of Zoroastrianism (a fire worshiping religion). Hence the name Azerbaijan.

omg I've never heard it although im japanese

Hi friends! Is Yanar dag burning yet?

3 points · 1 year ago

I've never been there to check. But given that it burns from ancient times, I think if it stopped burning, it would be all over the news.

Is there any plan to build a power plant which use the hole?

3 points · 1 year ago

I'm not aware of that. However, there is a plan to build a nuclear power plant. And I'm not comfortable with that.

Japan3 points · 1 year ago

Hello guys!
What do you think of Japan? And are you guys intereted in any news about japan?
Do you know any Japanese words? Who is the most famous Japanese in Azerbaijan?

4 points · 1 year ago

What do you think of Japan?

I really love it. Wanna visit it one day.

And are you guys intereted in any news about japan?

Yes. I read stuff when it's about anime or something important about Shinzo Abe.

Do you know any Japanese words?

I tried to learn some. But I need to have a lot of time and a private teacher to seriously learn one more language.

So,

Hajimemashite, watashi wa Murad des. Azerubaijan kara kimashita.

Who is the most famous Japanese in Azerbaijan?

Miyazaki, I guess. Or maybe, Murakami. I'd say, more people know about Murakami, but there are more people who actually watched Miyazaki's works than those who has read Murakakami's.

Hi Azerbaijan!

Honestly speaking, Azerbaijan is not so popular in Japan, except its dictatorship presidents. How much percentage happens democratic revolution?

Azerbaijan5 points · 1 year ago

Azerbaijan is a small oil rich country, borders with countries like Russia, Iran, Turkey, which have pressure on Azerbaijan. Even if democratic revolution happens, i don't think, Azerbaijan will gain any kind of democracy soon.

3 points · 1 year ago

any kind of democracy

Well, Georgia has a similar geography and they got some kind of democracy.

When our founding fathers established a ADR in 1918, they didn't even have clear borders and established oil pipelines. Yet, they've created the first precedent (if we don't count Crimean Tatars) of a Muslim majority democratic republic.

I think, we have much better conditions that them back then, so I'm more optimistic.

5 points · 1 year ago

Japan on the other hand is quite popular in Azerbaijan. We have a number of otaku communities and yearly festivals dedicated to Japanese culture.

How much percentage happens democratic revolution?

Well, there's a crisis now, so who knows.

I can't be sure, but what the above poster meant might be "not well-known" instead of "not so popular".... Many Japanese people have heard of your country's name, but most of us are not very familiar with your country nor culture. Many of the ex-CCCP countries stay quite mysterious to us, except for Mongolia.

4 points · 1 year ago

Many of the ex-CCCP countries stay quite mysterious to us, except for Mongolia.

LOL. Mongolia wasn't actually a part of USSR) They were just very close allies.

Yeah, you're right, but you know what I mean. It was their first satellite country.

What did you eat today?

3 points · 1 year ago

I had French toasts on my breakfast.

2 points · 1 year ago

Salam. Is it true that Azerbaijani people take the bath in oil?

4 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

I never did that. Neither did the majority of people whom I know. However, we have a place called Naftalan, where they found this special oil that can't be used to produce petrolium, but can be used in SPA procedures (including bathing in oil).

You can find plenty of info by googling Naftalan SPA

Comment deleted1 year ago
3 points · 1 year ago

My father wanted try, but after checking with doctor, they said he is not recommended to take the bath, so he didn't.

Do you need to go all the way to Naftalan to check that?

Azerbaijan (Azərbaycan), also known as the "Land of Fire", is a country with a fascinating history and unique cultural heritage. Historically, the country has been both a Soviet Republic and a part of Persia. The country regained its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, and modern Azerbaijan has emerged as a Western-looking, independent, secular state with a vibrant and diverse culture.

r/azerbaijan Rules
No personal attacks on other users
Submissions must be directly related to Azerbaijan
No editorialized titles for news and articles
Content must be in Azerbaijani, English or Turkish
No accusations of rules violations in comments