Belt chokes?

Rolling with a newish blue belt today and the dude proceeded to repeatedly try and choke me with his belt from mount and side. I decided not to let him get a tap like this and just went into survival mode, but it left me wondering if belt chokes are generally considered ok or not outside of competition?

I think something like this would be ok if you were good training buddies having fun. Otherwise it’s pretty douchey

CATCHWRESTLER
7 points · 23 days ago

Ive seen my coach yell at guys for it. People have tried it on me but as soon as they do that, I kind of know that they are clueless and just disregard it.

The "Hitman" Choke.

hahahahahaah

8 points · 23 days ago

Just no

29 points · 23 days ago

not allowed

16 points · 23 days ago

The general rule is that if you are performing a choke with an item of clothing, it has to relax the moment you let go. So you can choke with a tip of your belt or your loose lapel but can't wrap it around the neck.

This was asked in 2015 and the top reply was

you can use your belt to choke someone as long as the belt is tied up on you. you can not take the belt off and use it to choke. but if the belt is on you, you can. *edit if my memory doesnt fail its in the 6.4 section of the rules its probably in the bottom 10.

Edit: 2015 thread and credit to u/-Fabiow for the comment.

Original Poster7 points · 23 days ago

Thanks - v informative answer. Please accept a virtual Oss!

Oss.

4 points · 22 days ago

If somebody wants to look it up, it's Serious Fouls 6.4.19:

"When an athlete uses his/her own belt or the opponent’s belt to assist in a choke or any other circumstance in a match while the belt is untied."

3 points · 22 days ago

What if the belt was tied very loose like a hula hoop ? Can you choke them with that?

Just remember these things: *Judges decision is final *The choke must completely release when you let go. *This is probably considered a dick move amongst bird people. *The size of the belt is regulated probably for this reason, so that people don't go too silly with their belt ends.

Pretty sure as long as the belt is still tied you can choke people with it.

Original Poster8 points · 23 days ago

Was tied at first then untied later. I don't really mean in terms of competition rules, more like what is acceptable generally. I've never had anyone try and use their belt (except as a joke with partners I know really well), and it left me wondering about it.

I guess a lot of gyms are different. We do lots of ibjjf illegal stuff at our gym in training. Bicep slicers, knee bars at lower belts, pull their gi over their mouth and pinch the nose (as a goof really) and whatever else.

Same with us. Not long ago when a partner had me in mount he kept using his hands to cover my mouth, could not breathe. So I stabbed him right in his nipple. Quick sweep into a sharp shooter, done 💥

I dont think that ibjjf but it worked....

Original Poster3 points · 23 days ago

Savage!

Original Poster4 points · 23 days ago

Bicep slicers and kneebars are all fair game at our gym too!

Sounds like fun times, our gym is like this too but no gi and always between friends. Some times we'll tag team but that usually ends up as the whole team grappling each other in a massive pile. Fun fun

Ralph Gracie Chino Hills
7 points · 23 days ago

Neutralsaures is correct. IBJJF it's legal to choke your partner with your belt as long as it's tied.

IBJJF aside it's one of those gray area moves. To me it's in the same boat is playing worm guard or berimbolos. It doesn't hurt my feelings. It's effective in the sport. But it's silly anywhere else. The question is OP is; how did it make YOU feel?

Original Poster3 points · 23 days ago

I was mostly surprised at the time tbh but the choke attempts themselves felt ineffective even with the dude in dominant positions so it wasn't super alarming. I was just left puzzled as it was first time I'd had any partner try this seriously.

Will/Machado
2 points · 22 days ago

I think the Miyao brothers might argue with your definition of silly there ha.

Though I agree, unless you are messing with a training buddy, choking people with your belt is a douche move.

Ralph Gracie Chino Hills
2 points · 22 days ago

Do they berimbolo anywhere outside of sport jiu-jitsu? Have they ever been an advocate for the berimbolo in MMA or self defense? Genuine question.

Will/Machado
3 points · 22 days ago

Hmm looks like I misread the end of your comment there.

I dont know if theyve been an advocate for anything outside of sport jiu jitsu.

I mean if the belt is off it's a pretty bullshit move. might as well have a rope in your hands lol

After 3 months of training I passed this blue belts guard. He proceeded to use his belt to strangle me for passing his guard. Was all in good fun but other than that iv never seen someone attempt belt chokes.

This one always makes me laugh

Never even occurred to me to ever use it.

As it shouldn't.

Roberto Traven -> Chris Ruiz -> Me
2 points · 22 days ago

As long as the belt is still tied around your waist you can use the trailing ends as grips in chokes, for example if you are in side control and pass the end of the belt over your opponents neck and grab it with your hand under their head, then use it to complete the choke, that's legal.

Untying your belt and wrapping it around someones neck, aka The Hitman Choke, is not legal.

Original Poster1 point · 22 days ago

It was def more of a hitman move by the end of the roll.

Who cares what he's trying to choke you with, protect your self! Get on top!

2 points · 22 days ago

I've never seen a belt used for a choke, only as a grip hold such as preventing someone from rolling out of your oma plata attempt.

You must train with Dan

Original Poster1 point · 21 days ago

Ha! Uncanny. How did you know?

Purple Belt II
1 point · 22 days ago

Can you imagine having your neck or face wrapped with something that hasn't been washed in 4+ years...

White Belt
1 point · 22 days ago

You don't wash your belt?

Purple Belt II
1 point · 22 days ago

Dunno how it is at your school, but it seems like the majority of people I come across do not. It'd be pretty gross to have that thing wrapped on your face.

2018 South Aus runner up state champ
1 point · 22 days ago

how did his belt become untied enough to be used as a choking tool? you're saying he can't tie his belt properly, then asking if he is able to choke you with it? holy fuck man.

Welcome to /r/bjj!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is a martial art that focuses on grappling and ground fighting. /r/bjj is for discussing BJJ training, techniques, news, competition, asking questions and getting advice. Beginners are welcome. Discussion is encouraged.

Want to chat? Jump into the /r/bjj Chat Room! Please note that all /r/bjj rules are enforced in the chat room as well.

r/bjj Rules
Follow the rules of reddit and use reddiquette.
Read our BJJ FAQ wiki and use the search function.
Save your new stripe and belt promotion posts.
Add the appropriate link flair.
Don't ask for medical advice.
Use [Spoiler] in your title.
No pirated content.
No spam.
No Animal GIF Memes
Belt Flair
  • White - Brown Belts: You can edit your own flair using the "Add User Flair" button in the "Community Details" box above.

• Black Belts: Verification is required. Click here to verify your black belt.

Upcoming Events
Unofficial Gear

Note: No compensation in any form has been made to be listed below.

Related Communities