Never forget

Lol i remember a lower belt one day coming in all excited having just recieved his in the mail for me to crush his new gi high with these 3 simple words, " Its a fake."

10 points · 25 days ago

What is the significance of this particular Gi supposed to be?

Original Poster30 points · 25 days ago

Sold for years as the first inexpensive legitimate hemp gi. Gi was very soft so nobody doubted it. Owner of real hemp gi company ran tests on it, 0% hemp. Company issues refund to everyone and shortly goes out of business there after.

White Belt IIII
7 points · 25 days ago

Jesus, poor guy. Probably the manufacturers fucked him.

Not poor guy. You are dealing with pakistan for fucks sake. Do some indepentent verification.

Brown Belt
3 points · 25 days ago

I never received the refund I applied for.

Neither did i. They sent me a bamboo gi instead which i promptly sold at a massive discount.

Huh, nothing like a nice bit of casualo fraud, thanks for the explanation!

McCune's Martial Arts
1 point · 24 days ago

I don't think he went out of business.

https://submissionfc.com/ is still up and they're still selling stuff.

I have one. Thing has held up better than just about any other gi I’ve had. It’s the only gi I haven’t wore the knees out going on 6+ years of use.

If they rereleased as the polyester sensation gi I’d probably pick one up.

same!

to be fair, this was the first gi I ever bought in 2012. I still use it today and its in perfect condition. Not a single rip after 6 years of regular use. So its actually a pretty good gi, even if it is not actually hemp.

My aunt got a diamond engagement ring. Only diamond ring she had until she went to get it appraised and was told it was a fake diamond. Still wears it to this day.

I'm literally looking at this picture while I type this and I have already forgotten.

Blue Belt
3 points · 25 days ago

What is special about hemp gis

Allegedly softer and very light. I have the gi in question and honestly it is very soft and still holding up several years later.

Toronto BJJ
1 point · 25 days ago

Softer, more breathable, and (more empirically) has a significantly higher tensile strength than cotton, so also more durable.

But these ones were fakes.

They get stronger and softer with use. They also have some antibacterial properties so stinking and mildew will be less.

If your gi isn't hemp how are your teammates supposed to know you smoke weed?

Noobs read the comments before you ask the same questions again and again

Out of the loop. What happened with this gi?

-8 points · 25 days ago(0 children)

Oh shit. The no-hemp hemp gi. Thanks for the reminder because I did indeed forget.

Budo MMA
1 point · 25 days ago

I got one of these. I still use the pants but the jacket was way too big.

Purple Belt
1 point · 25 days ago

The only gi you could smoke after you were done rolling in it.

McCune's Martial Arts
3 points · 24 days ago

If you enjoy smoking a nice smooth cotton/poly blend that is.

lung ringworm

ossclothing.com
1 point · 24 days ago

Why is everyone saying they are out of business??>

Can someone explain?

I think they advertised as being hemp and was later proven to be false advertising

prolly works better then the hemp gis. sucks it ruined his company when it was prolly some pakistani dude ripping him off and he didnt even know.

Comment deleted25 days ago(3 children)
McCune's Martial Arts
1 point · 24 days ago

Honestly, the guy was a one man shop -- and he probably was cash-flowing the whole thing. People like to think that small businesses are flush with cash -- dude was probably making a small profit and putting most of that money into trying to grow the business by building up stock/etc.

Guy probably didn't have money to refund people with. When I complained, I wasn't given a refund but I was given store credit to buy another gi (I bought another 'sensation' gi with it -- and used a thread-ripper to pull the embroidery out).

It sucks, but I don't think the guy was intentionally trying to deceive anyone -- I think he was naive and thought the other hemp companies were just profiteering -- and didn't do any real digging into the situation beyond that.

Comment deleted24 days ago(0 children)
McCune's Martial Arts
1 point · 24 days ago

Fair enough

McCune's Martial Arts
1 point · 24 days ago

the suppliers said it was a 'hemp blend'.

Dude took it to mean it was hemp -- but that terminology was used over there to indicate a cotton/poly blend (which is what the gi was).

Didn't bother to question why he was able to sell his hemp gi for so much less.

Welcome to /r/bjj!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is a martial art that focuses on grappling and ground fighting. /r/bjj is for discussing BJJ training, techniques, news, competition, asking questions and getting advice. Beginners are welcome. Discussion is encouraged.

Want to chat? Jump into the /r/bjj Chat Room! Please note that all /r/bjj rules are enforced in the chat room as well.

r/bjj Rules
Follow the rules of reddit and use reddiquette.
Read our BJJ FAQ wiki and use the search function.
Save your new stripe and belt promotion posts.
Add the appropriate link flair.
Don't ask for medical advice.
Use [Spoiler] in your title.
No pirated content.
No spam.
No Animal GIF Memes
Belt Flair
  • White - Brown Belts: You can edit your own flair using the "Add User Flair" button in the "Community Details" box above.

• Black Belts: Verification is required. Click here to verify your black belt.

Upcoming Events
Unofficial Gear

Note: No compensation in any form has been made to be listed below.

Related Communities