I won my first Jiu Jitsu tournament!

I competed at 190 yesterday at the Mountain Range Open and won both my matches to take the gold. My first match I won 14-0 and my second was 2-0, both went the full 5 minutes. I was extremely nervous but really excited at the same time, I really could not believe I won. Thank you to all at r/bjj for the help!

Congrats! What was your strategy? Did it go out the window the second the match started or did it stick?

Original Poster5 points · 21 days ago

Thank you! I went over a game plan with my coach and lined it up with a few of my favorite take downs, passes and submissions, really simple stuff and mapped it all out like "if he pulls guard, I get my posture up and move into the mount (knee over leg), if I get the take down (single leg is my favorite) I move into side control, and then mount since I'm not familiar in side control. Just kept it as basic as possible and it worked wonders. The fun part about the 2nd match, was it was standing for 4 and a half minutes of the fight. I shot on him about 7 times and couldn't get anything and he tried to trip me about 3 times. He almost succeeded at end, but I was able wizard and move him down the floor and score 2 points. So much fun.

We don't do stripes
8 points · 20 days ago

Wait so, if someone pulls guard on you, you're able just to mount them? Are you Roger Gracie?

9 points · 20 days ago

It's a white belt specialty. Guard to mount pass. Once you're a blue+ belt you forget all knowledge of such miraculous techniques.

white belt specialty

Indeed. Did it a competition once. It was glorious. Opponent went from pulling guard to getting mounted in a single motion. I heard his coach going "Nice! Fuck!"

but I was able wizard and move him

I wish i had a pet wizard for bjj matches

Congrats! How did you feel when you stepped on the mat about to go in?

Original Poster3 points · 20 days ago

Tank you! What was great is when my name was called, I was on the other side of the gym not paying attention and my friend yelled that I was up. I was like "oh shit here we go", but it was a blessing in disguise since I didn't get a chance to get really nervous or over think anything. Once I was on the mat, I looked at the guy, sized him up, and decided I wanted his lead leg. But I was calm most of the fight, I'm not one to freak out unless I need to.

Congrats! Don't let the feeling imprint on you, though. Comp life is one of many slopes. You won't get gold all the time and that's completely fine.

Original Poster1 point · 20 days ago

Thank you! If anything I really just feel lucky, I was not expecting to win and I'm ok with loosing, as long as I learn something from it.

2 points · 21 days ago

Nice one! Share more details!

Original Poster5 points · 20 days ago

Thanks! The first fight was amazing. I just stuck with the game plan and everything went smooth. I was able to get the single leg to side control, and then knee over waist to the mount. My coach just told me to stay in positions as long as I could since I'm not super experienced in submissions yet. From the mount, he was able to push off and stand up, so I single legged him again, rinse and repeat. The 2nd fight was just crazy because we stood in front of each other for 4 and a half minutes and tried gripping each others gi's and pulling each other down. Again, I kept shooting for the single but he was good at sprawling. At the end, he managed to trip me but I never fully hit the ground. We fought until I got the wizard and forced him to the ground for 2 points, and 3 seconds later, it was over. He was a super technical guy so it was nice I didn't have to fight him on the ground too much, although I was curious how I would have held up.

(whizzer, although I admit wizard is a way cooler name)

Original Poster1 point · 20 days ago

I've been saying wizard this entire time haha. Appreciate the correction

But did you tie your belt right?

Original Poster1 point · 20 days ago · edited 20 days ago

Right enough for it to never come undone between those two fights lol. Probably not the traditional way but good enough for now.

Budo MMA
2 points · 21 days ago

Congratulations! What did it feel like standing on the podium on your first one?

Original Poster2 points · 20 days ago

Thank you! Unfortunately they didn't have podiums at this tournament (really small promoter), but having the gold medal be put around my neck by my coach was an amazing feeling. I wanted to win, but part of me didn't think I actually would.

Sweet, I was there as well at 190! I only did no gi though. Did you do over 30 or under? Old man here.

Im about to do my first in the over 30's. did you diet down? I was 210 a month ago. Down to 200. ten more to go with a month and a half left.

2 points · 20 days ago · edited 20 days ago

I’ve been dieting for my overall health, without really thinking about weight classes. I hit the scales morning of the tournament at 183. I was 210 in February and changed my diet, I cut out processed foods and basically anything with added sugar - the weight flew off (even with the occasional cheats). Ate a nice steak dinner the night before and was plenty hydrated, felt great during the tourney. I certainly could have cut to 177 (2 lb allowance), but I was happy and feeling good. I’m still losing weight, I think 175 will be the right weight for me, but I’ve never cut and I really don’t take it seriously enough (especially as a white belt) to put myself through all that.

Original Poster2 points · 20 days ago

I only did gi, not familiar enough to do no-gi but it looks like a blast. I was in the 18-30 bracket at 190, that comp had weird weight classes right? How did you do?

Super weird, 15 lbs between is huge. I was skeptical about being at the lower end of the class, but wound up with silver. Won with a gogoplata of all things and lost to a teammate via D’arce in the final. All in all great experience, was a cool little tournament!

Original Poster1 point · 19 days ago

Dang that's a crazy weight spread. That's awesome! Are you going to do Fight To Win in August?

Planning on it. I train in Cheyenne, we’re sending a big contingent down.

The second match sounds like a nightmare! I think I would have just sat down and invited him to pass into side control. Not sure of how many points that would have lost me. Lol

Original Poster1 point · 19 days ago

Haha it kind of was but it was really fun. I'm going to post it online and I'll send a link if you want to watch. I thought about pulling guard on him but I really wanted the single leg, neither happened lol.

I’d love to check it out!

Original Poster1 point · 11 days ago

Sorry for the crappy quality. I'm the one with the red Gracie Barra symbol on the back of my gi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8kVM1jsM9Q&t=8s

That was great to see. I’ll be competing at white belt for the first time late this year. Looking forward to it so much!

Original Poster2 points · 8 days ago

Awesome! Good luck out on the mat! If I could recommend anything, make a game plan up with your coach and keep it simple. It will help tremendously.

im adding this to my diary

Welcome to /r/bjj!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is a martial art that focuses on grappling and ground fighting. /r/bjj is for discussing BJJ training, techniques, news, competition, asking questions and getting advice. Beginners are welcome. Discussion is encouraged.

Want to chat? Jump into the /r/bjj Chat Room! Please note that all /r/bjj rules are enforced in the chat room as well.

r/bjj Rules
Follow the rules of reddit and use reddiquette.
Read our BJJ FAQ wiki and use the search function.
Save your new stripe and belt promotion posts.
Add the appropriate link flair.
Don't ask for medical advice.
Use [Spoiler] in your title.
No pirated content.
No spam.
No Animal GIF Memes
Belt Flair
  • White - Brown Belts: You can edit your own flair using the "Add User Flair" button in the "Community Details" box above.

• Black Belts: Verification is required. Click here to verify your black belt.

Upcoming Events
Unofficial Gear

Note: No compensation in any form has been made to be listed below.

Related Communities