Just realized I don't actually know any back control escapes...

...which might explain why I have such trouble getting out lol. I'll be asking my professor soon, of course, and probably scouring youtube, but is anyone willing to share their favorite escapes? Bonus points if it's effective for smaller people (I'm a 5'4 woman, most of my partners are larger men) and if you include a youtube link!

de la Riva Jiu Jitsu
10 points · 25 days ago

head to the mat, shoulders to the mat, shrimp away

can also be done without passing the arm of course :)

Original Poster1 point · 25 days ago

Awesome, thank you!

de la Riva Jiu Jitsu
1 point · 25 days ago

you're welcome :)

Short guy here. This is the one I use the most:

Original Poster2 points · 25 days ago

Stephan's channel is the bomb. Thank you!

Blue Belt
3 points · 25 days ago

I'm a 5'7" guy at ~130lbs and I use that first one the most. However, I don't bother with cross gripping the sleeve. Instead, I use that arm (left one in the case of the video) to protect the left side of my neck and keep it in tight in case they switch from an underhook to an overhook with the bottom arm (again, left in this case) .

Original Poster1 point · 25 days ago

Hmm, sounds like a wise idea

Kurt Osiander has a good one that works for me most of the time!

Original Poster1 point · 25 days ago

Fantastic, thank you!

I’m a similarly sized woman and I always had good luck with protecting your lapels/neck, scooting down, clearing a hook then rolling to the side and pinning the former hook leg as you scoot out and away.

Original Poster1 point · 25 days ago

I'll have to try that, thank you!

slip the hip

Welcome to /r/bjj!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is a martial art that focuses on grappling and ground fighting. /r/bjj is for discussing BJJ training, techniques, news, competition, asking questions and getting advice. Beginners are welcome. Discussion is encouraged.

Want to chat? Jump into the /r/bjj Chat Room! Please note that all /r/bjj rules are enforced in the chat room as well.

r/bjj Rules
Follow the rules of reddit and use reddiquette.
Read our BJJ FAQ wiki and use the search function.
Save your new stripe and belt promotion posts.
Add the appropriate link flair.
Don't ask for medical advice.
Use [Spoiler] in your title.
No pirated content.
No spam.
No Animal GIF Memes
Belt Flair
  • White - Brown Belts: You can edit your own flair using the "Add User Flair" button in the "Community Details" box above.

• Black Belts: Verification is required. Click here to verify your black belt.

Upcoming Events
Unofficial Gear

Note: No compensation in any form has been made to be listed below.

Related Communities