Archived

BTC has crossed 9000 USD

Next stop, 10000!

So, where is that guy who vowed to eat his testicle if we reach 10k in 2017? He better begin shaving it...

I vote to let the savage slide on this one...I honestly don't want bitcoin causing anyone to eat their own nuts

I say the opposite. He put his nut at risk and it's deserved

Don't disrespect yo' nutz

2 more replies

I just want the /r/KarmaCourt post.

It would be a nice story to tell to your grandkids when 1 BTC is 10 million dollars: Back in the day, when BTC first reached 10 k this crazy dude...

He said one of his balls, so he probably got away with it by eating one of his golf balls or something.

8 more replies

A long time ago someone on reddit gave me a btc tip or some sort that I completely forgot about because I considered BTC to just dissolve and stop to exist. I tried to find my wallet today and see if I had anything in it. The 6$ he gave me that day are worth 230$ today.

Are you convinced yet? Are you going to invest?

Didn't you hear? He already did!

2 more replies

3 more replies

Comment deleted7 months ago
8 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

spending isn't a great thing to do

Whats the point of watching it grow if you never ever spend it on something you need?

bitcoin core people just want to see the paper profits go up. People are going to get burned when there's a bitcoin fire and everyone rushes for the exit but can't get out. Just like the current system, the rich will be able to pay to get out while the commoner will be left holding the bag.

4 more replies

3 more replies

Wait, this sub actually has Bitcoin talk for once in a long time, weird.

I think that's quite healthy, actually. This sub should really try not to turn into the /r/Bitcoin for BCH. It's that narrow-mindedness that ultimately ruins a subreddit.

Positive comments/posts about other coins should be welcomed imo.

Comment deleted7 months ago

All you see is a bunch of raging teenagers yelling “Roger Ver!”, “Craig Wright!”, “Gavin Andresen!”, “Blockstream!”

I’m sick of seeing these peoples names... developers aren’t even supposed to be worshipped like this

Who exactly should be worshipped like this?

Nobody which is why i’m not sure why everyone on reddit seems to think Bitcoin is “pick a side and defend your developer”.

Nobody, "in blockchain we trust". If more people came to that realization in this and put faith in the technology of Bitcoin and it's consensus resolution mechanisms then we wouldn't have any of this debate over what is Bitcoin, worship of partisanships and so forth. Rather just an acknowledgment that Bitcoin is autonomous, that regardless of your opinions Bitcoin determines what Bitcoin is.

3 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Umm that's a little short sighted. The bitcoin protocol was not handed down by God..it was outlined by satoshi and implemented by developers. And it has a lot of shortcomings which need to be addressed. Namely, transaction speed, volume, cost and privacy.

Problem is that everyone is so heavily invested that they will worsen the bitcoin protocol if it helps improve their position and therefore the vision is already lost, and now we have a bunch of 'developers' trying to put in changes which will gain them the most financially.

5 more replies

1 more reply

Too late it only talks about Bch

1 more reply

Many ATH BTC post when to front page here.

2 more replies

Only when the price jumps up and reminds people who the real Bitcoin is. $10k is an impressive number and it's incoming.

I think someone ran out of cash to pay the PR firm...

Moderator - /R/BTC

Sometimes the "/s" is implied.

It's hard to tell with so many trolls

Moderator - /R/BTC

Is there a term for this phenomenon like Poe's Law?

I think I heard of something like being unable to tell what is sincere and what is parody but I can't remember what it was.

Moderator - /R/BTC

That is Poe's Law, but I was wondering if there happened to be something else describing a similar effect due to a massive amount of trolls.

Every post I was making, I was getting downvoted to oblivion. Today, all my posts somehow get 10+ upvotes. Quality post everywhere.

It really looks to me like the funds ran out. Can't wait for the next wave paid for by the bitcoin cash fund totally grass roots movement PR marketing fund.

Moderator - /R/BTC

How many people on this sub do you think own some part of their stake in BCH and BTC?

80% with no crypto, 20% with one or both of bch and btc. So many fake posts for the past couple of months

Things have been different this weekend

I would have guessed that 50%+ have approximately equal bch and btc... at least among those who have crypto, which I also guess would be most.

1 more reply

Some of those astroturf trolls and paid-shills exist, but seriously though, we gotta stop with the “oh you disagree with me, therefore you must be a paid shill” talk. Then we get into a bad habit of not answering concerns and instead going, “you must be a part of the conspiracy!”.

Then this sub becomes no different than the White House. “Oh you think we colluded with Russia? Fake news, part of a liberal conspiracy!”. How about you defend your case, show why the claims being expressed are incorrect, and prove them wrong instead of ignoring it by claiming “nothing to see here, you’re fake news!”.

Paid or not, far too many people (on both sides tbh) just parrot the main talking points of the argument on their side, without understanding them or really having an informed opinion about anything. This isn't a game that is won by whoever can quote either Jihan or Greg most prolifically. If you really don't have your own opinion - which you can hopefully express without simply quoting the leaders of your "side" - and if you're really invested in this space - then ffs spend some time reading until you have enough of an understanding to have your own opinion. Spend lots of time reading. It's what all of the early adopters did.

I very much agree!

4 more replies

1 more reply

This is a bitcoin sub, even if it leans heavily to the BCH fork

3 more replies

I mean...at some point it will be pretty clear which cryptos the market has chosen. This rally isn't that moment (bitcoin is due a pretty serious correction, and that's the consensus even in /r/bitcoin), but we'll be seeing a lot of developments over the next year.

Next stop, super saiyan

The first time Goku went Super Saiyan, his powerlevel was estimated to be around 1,000,000. That's kinda....pushing it

2024

1 more reply

Moderator - Bitcoin Cash!

I wonder where the top is. Much higher than many believed I think!

Original Poster45 points · 7 months ago

Yeah! It's exciting to think about. I wonder what people in 2010 thought the "top" could be. Maybe people in 8 years will think the same of us. Maybe in 8 years I'll tell myself I should've just put my money elsewhere lol

"It's worth $1 million or it's worth nothing" used to be a common saying in r/bitcoin.

It is a common saying everywhere. I've been saying it for years, though now I think the Bitcoin complex of chains will be worth more like $10 million minimum.

If the sum of all chains crosses 10m USD, I'm ready to eat both of your balls.

2 more replies

8 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

It's still trading on promise. They need to get to get lightning in usable form otherwise value may begin draining to alternate chains.

Ethereum would've been the main beneficiary of this in the past, before BCH, now BCH will be.

They will also need to keep attacking alternate chains to try to warn people off trying them, but long term this will not fool investors, and the public will follow investors. The main signal there will be price.

No one is attacking any alternative coins other that the people behind BCH. There is no talk of BTC attacking Ethereum or litecoin and there never has been any of that kind of dramma until the BCH idiots started saying stuff like your saying.

And Ethereum will still be the main beneficiary if BTC takes a hit. Why? Because all REAL investers like myself who holds BTC, bch and Ethereum, etc. Are not stupid enough to put money into BCH. It's not nearly as cool as Ethereum or real BTC. Also, now it has a reputation because of idiots talking about flip flops and other stupid but upsetting foolish scheemes.

11 more replies

In 2011 I considered $100 to be an impossible pipe dream. $32 was the top of the bubble, and it was followed by a 90% re-trace. Sure enough, it took almost two years to surpass that $32 bubble high.

Original Poster23 points · 7 months ago

Wow! That's crazy! Congrats on being such an early adopter! Hopefully in the future the same can be said to me lol

Thanks man. In six years you'll be the early adopter.

Hey, I remember that! It was the first bitcoin bubble and I was sitting in front of my monitor and querying the price on MtGox over and over...

Good old times :)

In 2011 I thought $1000 was crazy talk. Oh well.

1 more reply

What's crazy is that 2010 was 8 years ago.

Seriously. Where did my 20s go?

Less srs pls

1 more reply

In 2013 I thought the top would be somewhere between $50K and $100K. Did some napkin math with made up numbers. For example what if Bitcoin trade legal or illegal reaches 10% of dollar trade which seems not entirely impossible. There are ~10.5 trillion dollars in the world so in order for bitcoin to be able to handle that trade it should increase in value to about $1.05 trillion (otherwise there will not be enough circulating supply of BTC to represent the value of that trade) that would mean that BTC must increase 10 fold on its current price. Now 10% of the dollar trade might be too much but there is also non-dollar trade in the world, there is gold as store of value and other activities from which Bitcoin can eat certain percentage which makes the prospect not so far fetched. Also we can only guess the amount of illegal trade like who knows what the value of drug deals is. These can easily go in like 50% crypto. So I am not saying that chances to reach the top are very probable but I do have an explanation how the top can be reached if the stars align correctly.

In 2010 I figured a lower bound of about $50k top. I didn't think we'd get there so fast though.

27K my bet.

What is this "top" that you speak of?

At ~384k the market cap of Bitcoin will be approximately equal to the market cap of gold. The moon is ~$384k km away from Earth.

Coincidence? I think not! ;-)

More like ~330k

2 more replies

3 more replies

Near top 10k, Next stop 15k

3 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Total crypto market cap could one day hit $10T or more. Right now we are still under $0.3T

For comparison I think the precious metals market is $10T

1 more reply

Well, looks like $10,000 isn't that far away. Anyone reckon it'll reach that price by the end of this year?

Probably by Friday

Comment deleted7 months ago

It was under 4k in Sept. It's easily possible.

It was under 1K in January. It's very easily possible!

Continue the sequence...

I mean...it's at 9300 right now, and this is Sunday trading. Monday could be pretty spectacular.

$10k I could see it. That's what Mike Novogratz said it'd reach by the end of the year on Bloomberg. It doesn't matter whether or now he'd be otherwise right. A billionaire goes off and says that on a major mainstream financial news network and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Get mad booois

222 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

It's over 9000!!!!!!

Meme

don't blink or you will miss 10k !

in Brazil already at 10 k usd lol

Moderator - /R/BTC

That's a bit of a fail since they didn't, but easily could have, included prices that were actually >9,000

Insanity.

Just woke up. Cant believe it.

Kinda wanna invest more but the 'dont invest what you are not willing to lose' mentality tells me not to

and that is very good.

I don't invest more than I can lose.... I mean I just can't help myself I'm 100% crypto except what I need for bills

Well yea, if you have a stable job its diferent. Wish i could do that too. Cheers

9000$ is ressitance point at bitfinex. After that, 10k looks easy

Comment deleted7 months ago

I don't really have a position on the Tether pump theory, but obviously even if it were true it wouldn't be the only factor moving the price around.

Seriously, some people can't wrap their minds around dynamics

GDAX led the price to $9000, Bitfinex lagged behind.

it wouldn't be the only factor moving the price around.

i suspect there is something to the theory, based on the correlation. but every thether out there account for less than 0.005% of btc marketcap. so it cant explain any really significant portion of what we are seeing.

The market cap is a meaningless metric. The only thing that matters is the order book.

i dont think that statement is completely right, or false for that matter.

still, the days when the tethers allegedly were used for pumping, it was less than 1% of the daily trade. enough i am sure to influence it, but not enough to explain it all.

2 more replies

I think that's a serious misunderstanding. It only takes a tiny fraction of Bitcoin's marketcap to move or support the price at critical moments. And the price only needs to be nudged upwards at the right moments to have a profound impact on overall market sentiment.

this may be the case, and if so it is well played. however it can not explain all or even most of the price movement from what i make of it.

profound impact

can not explain all or even most of the price movement

No, really. Profound.

It's true that tether is not solely supporting the price.

What it's doing is making the entire rest of the market misjudge support.

I wonder if the tether posts were correlated with the bitcoin cash pumps...

1 more reply

lol yeah I noticed that too. Although I don't think anyone but the most delirious REALLY believe that 100% of BTCs growth was due to Tether.... I mean, c'mon..

Loving this though, making so much money. From 4k in August to 9k in December, crazy.

I'm sure he doesn't. There is certainly some truth to he is saying but of course growth has not 100% come out of manipulation.

They are comparing it to the Mt Gox scenario, but what they're ignoring is that the Mt Gox price actually became decoupled from the price of all other exchanges.

3 more replies

I like my BCH gainz. $400 to $2000. 5x vs BTC 2.5x

I've enjoyed both

I hope both can eventually come to coexist. They both make me happy. Even the shit ones like BTG. Seriously, what the hell is with the price on that one.

Yeah there is no black and white. I hope the best for both. Crypto are still 'small' compared whats out there, communities need to support each other before bitcoin go mainstream

I think Bitcoin and Bitcoin cash being siblings makes the rivalry even more fierce, since even among alts that aren't branches of each attack each other too. Some people have the majority of their holdings in one coin, so there's a lot at stake.

All crypto will coexist because one single block chain cannot support every transaction in the world, regardless of block size or frequency. As each block chain fills up and transaction fees rise, smaller transactions will be offloaded to smaller blockchains.

I'm done with FUD. Blockchain is the future. It's an ecosystem, not a competition. There's room for a dozen or a hundred popular blockchains, and they'll all be backed by fungibility with bigger blockchains

I agree. It's a pity you're getting downvoted for make a great trade.

12 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Data please. Bitfinex seem to lead the rally and there's been a backlog for 16 days now.

bitfinex was down for an hour for maintenance during the main push. coinbase led.. it leads a lot during these big pushes and had a big premium over other exchanges most of the night. check the charts it hung out at 9200 for a while.

mass adoption is what causes this rally. that bitfinexed guy is just latching on to a boogeyman because he missed out on the opportunity of a lifetime and needs some way to justify it to himself

So that means it's regular folk pushing this, not big money?

It's both

1 more reply

Yea bitfinexed Twitter is getting bitfinexed him/her-self. That person doesn’t own any bitcoin and is going mad.

3 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

It's just a crazy person and a troll. I lost all respect for Jimmy Song when he interviewed Bitfinexed on YouTube. New York times sighting that Twitter troll too sure shows real second class journalism on their behalf.

Edit: I laughed though since the day after they did that Bitfinex reopened wire transfers to individuals. It was timed so well.

2 more replies

1 more reply

At least this has made this subreddit talk about Bitcoin again

sold all my ETH. Enough is enough and I want some BTC... would it be stupid to buy in at this time?

Sounds like you're gambling. The moment the prices crash, refrain from selling low. Or else better to stay out of it.

Why not both?

1 more reply

Your post reached top five in /r/all/rising. The post was thus x-posted to /r/masub.

It had 22 points in 12 minutes when the x-post was made.

We're already at $11,000 for the entire Bitcoin ledger (BTC+BCH and BTG if you count it, which as an investor you should as at the moment it is salable). Wake me up when we hit $50k.

You can sell BTG on Bittrex

How do I access my BTG?

Where did you have your BTC at the time of the fork?

my wallet

Which wallet? Some wallets have added support and others haven’t.

My ledger

1. Move your BTC to a new private key.

2.) load the old BTC pk into a BTG wallet(coinomi worked for me)

Comment deleted7 months ago

4 more replies

4 more replies

To the moon

this is just insane.... a big correction has got to be around the corner

I said the same ... a year ago, when the bitcoin price was 1/8th of what it's today ...

Well, I'm still convinced a big correction has to come sooner or later, but for all I know we'll see yet another year pass by and yet another 8x rise before that happens.

EMP strike by the bankers

Futures market opens December 10th.

The two year bear market seemed to last a lot longer than it should have too.

a big correction has got to be around the corner

-Increasingly Nervous Man

I'm actually increasingly confident

I think were about to see the largest semi-continuous rise in bitcoin history. There will be a hard correction, of course. but probably not until 15k.

Sounds like dot com era talk there

were in the .com bubble of cryptos, without a doubt.next five years...

Definitely. 1332 currencies listed on coinmarketcap. It's a gold-rush.

So what? Every time it "corrects" it still ends up far above what it was before the spike.

Bitcoin is the big correction....for Keynesianism.

This is just delusion. No sane bank will ever do something like a mortgage in a currency guaranteed to be more volatile than the dollar along with sky high interest rates.

13 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Yep, it's a mirror-image of hyperinflation. The fundamental mode of commerce is pooled capital with predictable security of the principal's value and predictable return on capital. Hyperinflation screws the lenders. Hyperdeflation - if I can call it that: the rapid, unpredictable increase of value of the currency - kills the borrowers.

Capital doing productive work is the bedrock of industrial civilisation. Money must make money. With crypto, that's never going to happen, until the volatility calms right down.

It will. We have to get to a correct valuation first and that's going to be a bumpy ride.

You realize banks give out mortgages in currencies other than the dollar? Some much more volatile.

Bitcoin Cash Developer

You just have to increase the interest rate and voila.

You're a consumer. You're given the choice between a 20 year mortgage in dollars at 3% interest and one in bitcoin at 12%. Which do you choose?

Bitcoin Cash Developer

The dollar one, until the bank refuses to do it.

Give me a realistic scenario wherein the bank will refuse to do a loan in dollars and prefer a loan in bitcoin. Keeping in mind that, if shit truly becomes so fucked that the dollar is unreliable, our society would likely be at the point where we're trading useful things like oil or water or solar panels because our government has collapsed.

Bitcoin Cash Developer

When nobody uses dollar anymore.

Give me a realistic scenario where that happens. I don't think you understand how integral the dollar is to the world economy.

2 more replies

15 more replies

either that, or it's just the beginning...

3 more replies

And the award for lowest effort post to ever be given gold goes to.... OP!

Try to be the first to post 10k when we get there and let's see if that doesn't require effort.

2 more replies

Strange how for this BTC rally the price of BCH remained relatively stable, almost like not many people are selling their BCH in anticipation of something.

They take turns going up.

Bitcoin Cash Developer

New money get into btc, old money moves from btc to bch.

You state that as if it's somehow grounded in reality and not just a baseless guess on your part.

2 more replies

Brother, BCH is down. People are trading it in. Not hugely but they are. But for BCH to make a dent in BTC's price it'd basically have to drop in value by more than half.

Down from what, brother? Looking at the life of BCH it appears to be higher than almost the entirety of its existence. They're trading it in, but people seem to be buying it faster than others are selling, so thats good right? That means that maybe they can coexist together, right?

Hopefully BCH and BTC can indeed coexist peacefully. It's down from its recent rally. I just overheard people in a restaurant talking about crypto. I always find in person discussions to be more valuable for measuring market sentiment than online discussions where people are trying to influence each other. In-person discussions tend to be people actually seeking information and trying to reason together.

So, naturally, I eavesdropped. This was a discussion between a crypto noob and an experienced traditional investor. The noob was talking about trading and how frenetic it seemed - which jibes with my believe that almost all trading is being done by kids and inexperienced types who move too much and seek quick gains and gamble - and the investor was talking about his goal being to acquire three bitcoins and wait.

They talked about alt-coins and how they move and they also were under the same impression as myself: That Bitcoin is the gold standard upon which the interaction between a real crypto economy and the older economies will be based and that alt coins are mainly traded speculatively for quick gains and hedged via bitcoin and valued mainly on their ability to interact with bitcoin.

Can BTC coexist with BCH? It's proven it can. It can even quite easily sustain itself in the face of attacks and coordinated manipulation. Can BCH coexist with BTC? It has no choice. Accept BTC or fade into irrelevance and obsolescence. And that is exactly what will happen if the narrative of 'the real bitcoin' keeps going on. Experienced investors will see it as a scam and steer clear. People who buy it expecting their getting BTC and seeing it underperform will lose all faith in crypto and steer clear forever. Once bitten twice shy.

If BCH keeps claiming to be superior technology it might realize gains from that but it'll have to back up its claims. However, here's the rub - the rhetoric is self defeating. People don't hold a currency because it's better for making transactions. The price of the currency doesn't matter if all you want to use it for is mass market transactions. Straight up simple fact - this doesn't matter for crypto. The value can rise and fall to any amount and it'll be just as useful for any transaction and so basing a market rise on that is just self defeating.

If it can be more secure than bitcoin, that could be very worthwhile. If it's backed by a government that would really help the price. But if people give a shit about the price they should quit with the current stories because, frankly, it shows their hypocrisy and nobody who's ever been near wall street will buy it.

14 more replies

6 more replies

Other than the run up on BTC before the anticipated S2X fork, BTH has been pretty steadily around 1/5 to 1/6 the BTC price. Other crypto coins are climbing too. The whole space is growing. I think transfers between coins are small and short term compared to new money coming in.

BCH is still 50% off of its all time high. BTG has also been stagnant during the rise of Bitcoin.

4 more replies

Comment deleted7 months ago
Moderator - /R/BTC

You were one of the people saying that all of the BCH accumulators were just a bunch of pump and dump scammers who were getting ready any day now to release the bowels of their Bitcoin Cash holdings all over our heads in a glorious avalanche of SFYL action. Any day now used to be two weeks ago. Then it was one week ago. So, what does "any day now" mean now? I'm going to take a wild guess (not really, you aren't very complicated) and say that even if BCH stayed around the price of 0.2BTC for the next thousand years then you'd still claim it was just a pump and dump all along.

"Any day now, those BCH scammers are going to take a giant dump on the heads of all you suckers!" - You, 3017 A.D.

4 more replies

You come here for the laughs and r/bitcoin for the lies...yeah?

Plenty of laughs and lies in both.

46 more replies

The in ersionsof basic logic and economics can be amazing.

1 more reply

You don't understand how supply and demand works. At All. You don't seem to even understand the difference between price and volume.

4 more replies

Go crypto!

is that the flippening everyone is talking about?

i swear! i know somewhere out there is a guy knowing it could even go higher.

Guys, i only hold btc, no bch, as I traded into btc after the fork. Btc and bch can both do well.

Okey so when the dip occoured last week and it went down to 5.5k I was thinking of imvesting 500$. Im a moron for not doing it?

I have capital to invest, but couldnt understand where to start.

3 more replies

My only regret is that I wasn't awake to see it. I knew I should have stayed up last night.

Muh dragon 🐉 slayer Hahahajhaha

It's amazing how you potatoheads have turned a BTC price discussion to BCash.

8 more replies

finally deiced that I would be buying some bitcoins after waiting for an year

by the time money reaches the exchange the prices have spiked so much that I begin to think again if I should buy now or wait

looks like bitcoin is just not for me

I️ went all in and I’m going nowhere but up so far

100k not far away either

The only one and true Bitcoin is King!

Comment deleted7 months ago

5 more replies

Congrats, thanks great for all crypto!

But mah flippening?

just shows you that all that talk about principles and wanting the best technology goes out the window really quickly.

Or perhaps the best principles and technology is actually with the other coin.

but thats not the majority opinion of this sub isn't it? i thought /r/btc is all about the flippening and lizard people using tether to pump bitcoin.

This sub also used to be all about “letting the market decide.” Its important not to be dogmatic if you want to make money.

4 more replies

2 more replies

But BCH is the REAL bitcoin 😭😭

Can't tell if you're being downvoted because people think you're joking or because they think you're serious

Diversify .

Original Poster3 points · 7 months ago

Together we rise!

I'm quite happy with my 370% BCH gains since October while BTC is doing a little 50% bump 😭😭

4 more replies

11 more replies

All the forks are pushing Bitcoin price up, it's holding above $9000, will see how much longer the price will stay there https://coincodex.com/crypto/bitcoin/

Will cross 100k in a year

Next stop for BCH is hopefully 1800. Wonder when it will happen.

Aaaaaaaaand, nobody cares.

9 more replies

59 more replies

Welcome to /r/btc! Home of: Up to date Bitcoin discussions, News and Exclusive AMA (Ask Me Anything) interviews from top Bitcoin industry leaders, and more! Bitcoin is the *currency of the Internet*. A distributed, worldwide, decentralized digital money. Unlike traditional currencies such as dollars, bitcoins are issued and managed without the need for any central authority whatsoever.

r/btc Rules