Posted byMeow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!2 years ago
Archived

Everything you need to know for the CCNA R&S - Read this first.

Hi all,

This post is intended to be a one stop aggregate of content related to the CCNA R&S, new users are encouraged to look through this post before asking these common post topics. Because I'm lazy I'll be copy and pasting relevant sections from other posts as needed :)

Can I use older versions of the study material?

No, at best you'll get basic information but you'll be missing topics, reading about topics you don't need to, and could generally not learn a topic well enough. It isn't worth trying to save money since failing the exam is much more expensive than some new books.

Saying that some video courses are still worth while, CBT nuggets for example has plenty of CCNA related series such as their CCNA packet capture course that is still good info though out of date.

Discount Exams

You can occasionally save some $$$ by buying a discount voucher, a discount voucher is a voucher that is expiring sooner than a ordinary voucher, the less time left the more it is discounted. For example a CCNA voucher with 3 days left might get 50% off.

I have used these sites before and they work well.

www.itexamvouchers.com or www.getcertified4less.com

The Exam Change

CCNA 2.0 is being retired on the following dates:

100-101 ICND1 Last day to test August 20, 2016

200-101 ICND2 Last day to test September 24, 2016

200-120 CCNA Last day to test August 20, 2016

A common misconception is that ICND1 is a prerequisite for the CCNA, it is not. Rather the ICND1 earns the CCENT certification and the CCENT is the prerequisite for the CCNA. This distinction means that you can write the 3.0 ICND2 exam even if you have passed the ICND1 2.0 exam.

Exam topics

100-105 - ICND1 3.0

ICND1 Exam topics

Here is a summary of the changes in the new version:

Removed:

• RIP is now the sole routing protocol in this exam.

• IPv6 Dual Stack was removed in favour of transition techologies

• CEF has been removed from the exam.

Added:

• Understanding the Cloud

• Understanding SDN

• Using APIC-EM's Path Trace application

• QoS

200-125 - CCNAX 3.0

Composite 3.0 Exam topics

All in all some pretty fair additions and only a couple questionable removals.

Should you take the composite exam?

The short answer is....no, probably not.

Generally speaking the composite is only for the experienced network professionals who are used to certification exams. It is really meant for convenient switching to the R&S track from say Juniper. Why not take it? It's just considered to be a much more difficult exam because:

It doubles the number of topics you can be tested on, this makes it so you must have mastered everything in the CCNA since it is fair game. This also makes repeat attempts harder since the question pool is large enough that if you do badly on say IP Services, you might instead get a security focus the next time. You have a smaller margin of error: with ICND1 and 2 you can get say...10 questions wrong to pass with the minimum score so you can get 20 questions wrong and still be a CCNA. With the composite you can only get 10 wrong before failing

There is less padding questions, icnd1 may also you 10 subnetting questions but the composite may just ask a couple and move on the next topic. This makes things harder since your more likely to hit a hard question rather than get a few easier ones.

Cisco assumes your a network professional so they may hit harder than with the other exams. Based on my own observations from watching this sub and talking to people, I would say a junior has about a 90% fail rate for the composite and it typically takes them about 3 tries to pass it. Incidentally they also tend to be bitter with Cisco after paying for so many failed exams. Long story short, it isn't worth it, I should also point out that you get the same CCNA no matter what path you take. The only difference is that with the two exam method you get the CCENT as well, which means you can get up to two kitty gifs!

Reading List

Books by Odom and Lammle remain our recommendations for this CCNA version, you should read both to get both perspectives on topics. Generally Odom is considered to be more dry and technical and Lammle is more readable and approachable.

Home Lab

There are two main options for a home lab - physical and virtual. You can also mix and match as needed.

Because of the new version it is recommended to try to use IOS 15 in all your physical gear so you can utilize the modern features that IOS brings to the table. The router models don't matter all that much since features at the CCNA and CCNP level are mostly the same, you also don't need to worry about serial modules nearly as much because serial is a very small topic now.

Model numbers matter with switches though, you should aim to get 3 or 4 Cisco 3560 switches so your lab will last you well past your CCNA R&S studies, though you can pick up a some L2 Cisco 2960 switches if need be.

For virtual you have 3 main options

• Packet Tracer - a mostly functional emulation tool that meets most of the CCNA requirements, it requires very little resources or technical knowledge but only supports just enough IOS features for you to pass the CCNA.

PT 7.0 is out now and can be gotten for free from Cisco.

• GNS3 - a functional solution that runs real IOS images, the downside is you need to get your hand on IOS images. It also doesn't have native support for most L2 features.

Here is a blog post I wrote about setting it up end to end:

Mastering GNS3

• VIRL - this is the most resource heavy option but its benefit is that Cisco provides IOS images to you.

Here is the post I did about VIRL:

Mastering VIRL

Exam Tips

Remember there is no back button so always read the question until you fully understand what it is asking you and you know what technology it is testing you on before answering.

If you can't think of an answer within a minute consider picking the best answer and moving on. You are unlikely to correctly figure out the question after thinking about it for another minute and will likely talk yourself into a wrong answer. You don't have a ton of time in the exam!

For people with a bit more IT experience, remember the context and level of the exam. There are many solutions to problems in the real world and at the end of the day the CCNA doesn't get too deep into topics. Keep the exam topics in mind when answering a question...for example if Cisco asks what device would run BGP? Then the answer would be a router even though most devices can support BGP these days from hosts to servers to firewalls etc. The reason why is the CCNA v3.0 only teaches about basic eBGP on a router so Cisco isn't going to expect you to know that Windows Server can do BGP.

The Best Answer

People also have a lot of issues getting used to the concept of the best answer. Like the BGP scenario above you have to keep the context of the question in mind, a router can indeed use a switch module to act like a switch and a L3 switch can act like a router etc but if they ask what device is best for switching then it will be a switch.

The Cisco Answer

The "Cisco Answer" is something that keeps popping up over and over, and in my opinion is drastically overblown and misunderstood in most cases. Basically it is the claim that Cisco wants you to answer the question their way as opposed to the industry correct answer. Generally this seems to be feed from the pitfalls I mentioned above:

An example of an old Cisco answer was back when other vendors first started supporting CDP and if you were asked if CDP only ran on Cisco you had to decide if Cisco was expecting you to know that polycom phones could do CDP. But generally those types of questions are gone in the R&S track at least (I'm told the wireless track needs more time in the oven)

The other place it comes from is when you are multi vendor and/or have a higher knowledge/experience level then the exam your writing. A simple example might be if they asked you how many link state routing protocols are supported by Cisco, a CCNA will probably say 1, whereas a more advanced candidate may answer 2. But considering CCNA doesn't mention IS-IS then 1 would be the CCNA correct answer. The trick is you have to keep your exam level in mind as your writing it.

Finally there is the obvious actual Cisco answer where if they asked you what OSPF's Administrative Distances is? Now on Cisco it is 110/110/110, on Juniper it is 10/150, and on HPE it is 10/150/150. So in this case they are looking for the Cisco right answer but that only really can affect you if you are multi-vendor.

Question Marks and Tab

Sim's generally have support for the tab and ? but it can be limited if Cisco decides to remove them to make sure you know how to do a task or if they simply just don't fully implement them since the sim is just a flash animation they have to program. It is also worth noting that even if Cisco does give you full functionality, you would still need to know the full commands since Cisco can just straight up ask you syntax questions.

Practice Tests

The Boson practice tests are highly regarded and tend to be of similar difficulty or more difficult than the actual exam.

New topic posts

I'll try to keep this updated as they pop up but here is the current posts that are cover the new topics

What is Metro Ethernet

What is MPLS as a WAN Service

What is BGP?

1 point1 year ago

Can someone please explain the Discount exam section of this post? I don't get it.

Comment deleted1 year ago
Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point1 year ago

Yup lammle and odom both have had their books out since Sept or so

1 point1 year ago

how is the layout of this exam? like is it 90 minutes just to answer multiple choice questions? my professor keeps talking about practicing free online simulations and stuff. is that a different part of the exam or included in the 90 minutes orrrr are sims not on the new ccna at all? I take the composite for my first time in 2 weeks and I'm nervous as fuhhhhhhhh

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point1 year ago

It is 90 min to complete everything. Boson is a pretty good practice exam.

I take the composite

You might want to read the "DO NOT WRITE THE COMPOSITE" section :)

1 point1 year ago

I came to reddit looking for practice exams after i had scheduled my ccna, i.e. why I'm now nervous. Is boson free? I'm getting ready to take the free one from the description and see how i do

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point1 year ago

No it's not free, I don't think there is many worthwhile free exams for the new version.

CCNA - Data Center Tech1 point1 year ago

Removed:

VRRP and GLBP (BOO!)

Why is this a "boo"?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster2 points1 year ago

Because just because Cisco feels that HSRP is good enough for the CCNA doesn't mean that VRRP (and to a lesser extent GLBP) aren't widely used.

1 point1 year ago

Saving this for later

Fantastic and informative post, great to see people helping each other like this

So just to double confirm, I can disregard Frame Relay completely?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster4 points2 years ago

Yup it is Discard Eligible.

HI. where would I find some practice tests?

Damnit, I bought the odom's 100-101 icdn1 book a couple of months ago and was taking time reading through it. Does that mean I HAVE to get the new 100-105 book in order to have a better chance passing the exam?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster2 points2 years ago

Well you could optionally try to study the new topics on your own but really it would be a fairly foolish move to knowingly study for a test with a old book.

Ah well it is what it is. Thank you. Discounts on new books don't kick in till several months after the release , is that right ?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

It would be surprising to find a cheaper book.

Ordered the new book:)

CCNA1 point1 year ago

I'm kinda late but the new book changes almost nothing, you could've searched the new topics by yourself, in my experience it was like 1 or 2 questions about the new stuff. The one that really changes though it's the 200-105.

1 point1 year agoedited 1 year ago

Hi there, thanks for your response.

I am reading the new book right now.

it is most likely just me, but I find the new edition to be more on the exam study guide end now (i know it literally is a study guide lol). Previous edition had many little nuances that expanded on topics for the sake of knowledge which I am after. The new edition omits these nuances and assumes you know them which makes up for a drier read.

Some topics that I re-read feel as if it weren't for the previous book, I wouldn't get it.

That said, the new book has new takes on ideas in every chapter so it feels like a whole different book in addition to new chapters. I probably could have used the old one but now it is just a mental boost that I am not omitting anything.

3 points2 years ago

Does Odom's new CCNA Routing and Switching 200-125 Official Cert Guide Library cover 100-105 topics? Or do you also have to get CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide?

Last set of Odom's CCNA books I bought came with both ICND1/2. Is this still the case?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster2 points2 years ago

That is the composite book, it should cover all the topics but it might not go into as much detail as the individual books.

5 points2 years ago

Oh... So I want these | two, then. Correct?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster7 points2 years ago

Yup plus possibly /u/lammle's books.

5 points1 year ago

Thank you!

2 points2 years ago

The new ones haven't released yet.

But I most definitely will once it comes out, especially since my job reimburses me for all study materials.

1 point2 years agoedited 2 years ago

0.9269

What is this?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

It depends entirely on your college. Technically they should update the curriculum right away but I'm sure there will be some that don't bother updating until the end of the seminar etc.

1 point2 years agoedited 2 years ago

0.7732

What is this?

I just passed ICND1 v2.0 100-101. Does anyone know if I can take the new ICND2 v3.0 200-105 and have a CCNA? Also, would this be recommended if I can?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

Yup you can, its in the sticky

Newb here, what is the sticky and do you have a source from cisco stating this information. Im looking all through there site and cant find anything..

?

Your reading the sticky right now

A source for what?

Hahah sorry. Just something saying that the ICND1 v2 will still be applicable if we take ICND2 V3 with it to obtain a CCNA. Im mainly just looking for more information on the two test method because the composite is killing me.

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster2 points2 years ago

I have a question about the advice, "you should aim to get 3 or 4 Cisco 3560 switches."
We have mostly Dell switches here, so I'm not too familiar with the Cisco hardware and licensing.

I see used switches listed on Amazon for under $100, e.g. "Cisco WS-C3560-48PS-S Catalyst 3560 48-port POE 802.3af Switch."

Would something like this work, or are used/refurbs missing something important?

CCNA R/S :: Sec+ :: Net+ :: A+1 point1 year ago

all you need is the IOS, so as long as you are using the correct model you should be totally fine.

CCNA1 point2 years ago

Hey guys. So I did the Combo test back in 2012 (One test for CCNA cert). I let that sucker expire. I'm now looking to get back into things with cisco and Im wondering where I should start.

Should I study up the new content and write v3.0 ? I can also do this in one test correct? To my understanding this will get me CCNA R&S. Does my old CCNA get renewed then ? Or is it technically two different certs now.

I preferred to write on test last time, I would think I would want to do the same this time. The test was diluted with easier topics from ICND1 as well as ICND2.

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

Well what's experience like? How rusty are you?

CCNA1 point2 years ago

I havent worked too much with Cisco stuff since the cert. I'm pretty rusty. I would need to study up again for a few weeks . (20+ hours)

Okay, so, I bought Odom's and have been studying diligently on the 100-101 for the last two-ish weeks. The 100-101 exam that retires the 20th will be the last time I can take it with what I have just studied? If I have decided to keep studying and take the 100-105, could I possibly fail because I didn't study the new material? I just don't want to have to buy a new book lol

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster2 points2 years ago

Hard to say until people start taking it but I would expect Cisco to lead with new topics for the exam.

Do you think I should keep studying Odom's and then study the new material on my own? And possibly just leave out what has been removed?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

You do need learn the new topics regardless whether you read the new books or just do some additional study afterwards.

My read is that the new CCENT will be more newbie focused like the Network+ and they are trying to make the CCNA harder to get.

1 point2 years ago

the icnd 1 test i took dealt with cdp on one question and it was related to third party vs. cisco equipment. i wont reveal the question in its entirety but it did come up. i dont know if i got the question right but i do remember the odom book saying it was proprietary to cisco.

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

It is still Cisco proprietary however some vendors do support it like Merkai, Vmware, Dell, Polycom, Linux servers etc.

1 point2 years ago

understood but i think the test answer is still its proprietary and does not show up when using #show cdp neigh/detail.

1 point2 years ago

Hi I'm new around and I am starting to study for the CCENT / CCNA certs. I was reading about the test change and stuff. Does that mean that after August 20th everything will be on v3? I have lots of information for the v2 test, does that still works or should I buy a new book and study material?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

ICND2 switches over in September. However ICND1 changes in August.

1 point2 years ago

So I will have to switch then since I am just starting... Anyone knows where to find resources based on the v3 already?

CCNA R&S3 points2 years ago

As for books, two authors are generally recommended here. Todd Lammle and Wendell Odom. Both have updated books now on Amazon.

Lammle: 100-105 & 200-105

Odom: 100-105 & 200-105

1 point2 years ago

I will check those out, thank you!

So I'm confused now. I took ICND1 and 2 back in 2011. The cert expired in 2014 since I couldn't afford renewal at the time.

Am I right that I'd need to do both ICND1 and 2 again?

Nice to see that Frame Relay is gone.

I notice that under the "Home Lab" section, you left out the full version of the lite Pearson simulator that comes with the book. Was there a reason for that?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

Nothing in particular, with PT I see no reason to care about other emulators though they may well do the job

Gotcha, thanks!

For 100-105 what is the passing score?

CCNA R&S2 points2 years ago

Google didn't show me anything specific on the Cisco site but this article says 800-850 probably due to the 45-55 questions possibility.

CCNA1 point2 years ago

How easy is it to get the refund on the boson practice tests, in your experiences? I'm a few weeks away from the 100-101 test which is going to be dead, and the 101-105 practice exam is a different product on the boson site.

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

I rarely use practice tests, though I believe Boson said they will convert people to 105 for free

CCNA1 point2 years ago

They converted mine to 105 which was annoying as I was doing the 101 - got loads of questions on RIP and none on OSPF.

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

Makes sense since there is no OSPF in icnd1 anymore. I suppose they probably could have waited till the switchover happened before upgrading people

Sorry, if this is asked already. I have 100-101 certification. 200-101 ICND2 expires on September 24th.

So, if I want to write 200-105 - ICND2 3.0 after September 24th, Can I still write it without 100-105? I guess I want to ask is that, Can I combine Icnd1 v2 and incd2 v3 after Sept 24th?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster2 points2 years ago

Yes it is mentioned in the post, CCENT is the prerequisite not the 100-101/105 exam.

Thanks. Awesome user name btw

So am I correct in thinking that if I already have the CCENT (100-101), I can take the updated ICND2 exam (200-105) and get my CCNA? Or do I need to take the 200-101 before it expires in 2 months?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

Yup you can write the new one though you should probably catch up on the new icnd1 topics before you do

1 point2 years ago

Thanks!

I just want to say thanks for this post. It's things like this that make Reddit such an awesome resource.

3 points2 years ago

As someone who's CCNA v2 has expired, and decided to sit v3 for renewal, this is an amazing compendium.

Is it worth it buying an old book? Should i wait for updates ones

Net+, Sec+, CCNA R&S3 points2 years ago

The updated ones are out.

Comment deleted2 years ago
Net+, Sec+, CCNA R&S1 point2 years ago

Reported.

Odom's books are out and Lammle has the ICND1 out now

Lammie has his out already?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster3 points2 years ago

The old books will still cover a good 75% or so of the material but it's probably best to get the new books so you cover everything.

So I really screwed the pooch? I bought Odom's icdn 1 and 2 in Jan, > halfway thru 1now....

Is there a bridging guide or do I drop the $$ on a brand new book, knowing mine is unsellable?

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

I'm not aware of any bridging guide / course yet (if it ever happens) you'll need to get new stuff to be up to date or you'll have to study the new topics separately.

Makes me a sad panda :( I guess i'll finish current book and chuck the other one away :'(

I will just wait.. I was going to get Lammie's book I am glad I waited. I think I am going to pickup another powershell book in the meantime. Something that will take me a month or so to get through

Probably missed it but when will the new tests be available? Trying to decide if I should just study for the new one or not.

Meow 馃悎馃悎Meow 馃惐馃惐 Meow Meow馃嵑馃悎馃惐Meow A+!Original Poster1 point2 years ago

The new exams have been out for about a month or so.

Like I said, I probably missed it. Thanks

r/ccna Rules
No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs
Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies.Learn More.