Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Posted by
CCENT
9 months ago
Archived

Which of these common routing protocols are Distance vector, link-state, and hybrid?

• eBGP

• iEIGRP

• IGRP

• OSPF

• IS-IS

• RIP

• eEIGRP

• iBGP

I do know that RIP and IGRP are both distance-vector, and OSPF and IS-IS are link-state, and EIGRP is hybrid. But where do the orthers fall?

EDIT: Also, is RIPv1 the only classful routing protocol?

CCNA R/S, GSEC, AWS SA

Don't take this the wrong way, but this could easily be found with a google search. A big part of IT is being resourceful in finding answers like this.

CCENT
Original Poster1 point · 9 months ago

Right, I totally agree :) I always use google before asking here. I was just looking for clarification. Cos some article describes one as link-state and other said it was a hybrid.

So, I wanted to see what should I answer for the Cisco exam (ICND1).

edit: spelling

CCNA R/S, GSEC, AWS SA

For ICND1 just know:

• EIGRP - Hybrid, a/k/a "Advanced Distance Vector"

• OSPF - Link state

• RIPv2 - Distance Vector

Also, is RIPv1 the only classful routing protocol?

Yes. Know your metric too btw.

CCENT
Original Poster1 point · 9 months ago

Cool thanks.

Just 'cause it ain't in my flair doesn't mean I don't have certs
1 point · 9 months ago

Though only know this for the exam, not for real life, as it's not accurate.

Just 'cause it ain't in my flair doesn't mean I don't have certs
  • eBGP - DV (i/e doesn't matter, BGP is just DV)

• iEIGRP - not a thing (EIGRP is DV, not hybrid (fuck you Cisco))

• IGRP - no longer a thing

• OSPF - Single Area - LS, Multi Area - Hybrid

• IS-IS - Link State

• RIP - DV

• eEIGRP - not a thing either/DV

• iBGP - DV

CCNP|CCDP|CCNA-V|CMNA
1 point · 9 months ago

iEIGRP - not a thing

eEIGRP - not a thing either

Eh, internal/external EIGRP are 'things', they're just not different protocols.

Just 'cause it ain't in my flair doesn't mean I don't have certs
1 point · 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

Yes external routes in EIGRP exist, (same in OSPF, etc), though they are literally never referred to as eEIGRP and there is no difference between if a protocol would be LS or DV because a route was redistributed or not, other than that all redistributed routes are DV by definition beyond the point of redistribution.

r/ccna Rules

No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs