How to study/study material for ICND1 for beginners?

I'm currently a junior in college majoring in IT. The curriculum for the IT program at my university is pretty shitty and just introduces you to basic information regarding a variety of IT fields. I've decided to to start studying for the CCENT so I can actually learn networking and also get a cert that will hopefully help get an internship. I have little knowledge of networking from one of my classes and really no experience with it, so how should I begin studying and what materials should I use? I'm familiar with some of the study material that is recommended but I just wanted some advice on my particular situation.

I personally have been using Cisco Networking Academy, Lammle's book, and an eBook from Cisco Press that includes practice exams through Pearson.

This is the link to the eBook and practice exams: http://www.ciscopress.com/store/ccent-ccna-icnd1-100-101-official-cert-guide-premium-9780133367881

Original Poster1 point · 8 months ago

Thanks! Would that ebook still work for the newer test, 100-105? or should I get an updated version?

I linked the wrong one. Yes I recommend the newer one

I am using the cisco cert guide and network simulator. The simulator is really great for getting practice. Work paid for it in my case though, it is expensive.

Original Poster1 point · 8 months ago

what would you suggest for a beginner with little to no experience with networking?

I would do a read through todd lammle’s book. Then read cisco’s complete cert guide and use network simulator to study and included practice exams. That should be enough to prepare you for the exam.

I studied and passed with the official Cisco books, a home lab, and GNS3. The first time was Lamales book and a home lab.

The home network lab was probably overkill for the cert, but it was a great learning device for real world to be able to actually put cables in, watch it fire up, see traffic move in real time, lock out of telnet, fall back to the console port, and work with equipment that is not simulation perfect.

I have no professional work or background in IT or networking (I was a humanities major), and will be taking the ICND1 tomorrow. Been scoring 800-900 on practice exams (Boson's included). I used Lammle's book, ICND1 CBT nuggets videos, and practice tests from multiple sources. It's taken me about 8 weeks at ~3 hours per day.

Original Poster1 point · 8 months ago

Thanks! Good Luck on the exam, you got it! Update us on how you do.

Passed! 865/832. Not the prettiest score, but I'm happy.

Original Poster1 point · 8 months ago

Congrats! Do you mind sending me your study material? I just started yesterday

Boson is very protective of their exams, and can't be shared. But I highly suggest paying the $100 for ExSim-Max exams.

CBT nuggets videos are available for purchase on their website. I'm sure they could be found illegally too.

And I still need my copy of Lammle's book to study for ICND2!

Original Poster1 point · 8 months ago

My bad, should’ve been more clear. I just meant sending links to the material, not actually getting yours lol

Study Guide -- I took thorough notes of everything I read, and I did all the written and hands on labs. There is also a practice exam included with the purchase of the book.

CBT Nuggets -- Highly recommend this to supplement any of the study guides. Jeremy is entertaining, and makes tricky concepts more palatable. The videos do not go into as much detail as the textbook, but I still can't say enough about how much these videos helped.

Practice Exams -- I took these exams when I felt I was nearly ready for the real ICND1 exam. The format is VERY similar to the real exam, and the questions feel very similar in wording and difficulty. Work through all 3 practice exams and be sure to read the explanations of all the questions you miss.

Good luck!

I know this comment is 3 months old, but I have a quick question for you: Did you use Lammle's book and CBT Nuggets simultaneously or did you go through them one at a time? These are the two biggest resources I am wanting to use for my prep, but I just want to make sure I am utilizing my materials in the most efficient way possible.

Hey -- I alternated between the two. The order of content is slightly different, but I didn't find it to be detrimental to learning. I watched the first ~25 CBTnuggets, then read the first few chapters of Lammle's book, then alternated between them. CBT is a great introductory resource, and Lammle covers the details. Don't skip out on all the review questions at the end of each chapter. Be sure to work through all the questions you get wrong.

Also, be advised, Lammle's answer key did have a handful of typos throughout the ICND1 chapters. If something doesn't make any sense, check online.

Thank you so much! This helps a lot.

r/ccna Rules
No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs