Should I get CCNA while wanting to be a software developer?

Hello. I am currently on my first year of Computer Science and through my University I have the oportunity to do CCNA R&S (divided in 4 parts) and CCNA Security. All for a really cheap price during 3 semesters.

As someone who wants do be a Software Developer will CCNA benefit me? Or will it be just something I completed to put on my CV?

3 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I'm employed as a Dev; I started studying for the CCENT last year just for fun. For me, It's been helpful understanding how networks work in my development process. Our software package is VERY network dependent and understanding the flow of data has allowed me to streamline several parts of the software to best utilize the network.

Too many devs know NOTHING about the ops side of the world and have no idea how the code they write will interact with the systems that it's running on. I firmly believe that every dev should know a little sysadmin and networking if they want to be good at their jobs.

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

Thank you for the information!

CCNA-Makes Phones Do Things
1 point · 6 months ago

Unless you’re writing code for routing, I feel it would have minimal value.

OTOH, as a network engineer, I applaud your effort to have some grounding in how the network actually works. I feel like you might find some bits like touring protocols interesting if (for example) you ever end up writing pathfinding code for games or similar.

Ultimately, what’s the opportunity cost? Could you use this time to write a small app for experience instead, for example?

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

It would cost 1200 euros. 6 hours each week with an instructor that recently got recognised as one of the best in the world or in Europe (can't remenber).

I guess I could.

Thank you very much for the information.

As a software dev I don't think you'd be completely wasting your time, only mostly wasting your time. I do think everyone who works in IT benefits from having a basic understanding of ports and protocols, and how switches, routers, and firewalls work. These are the foundations that support and enable everything that happens on a network. However, the CCNA curriculum also contains a lot of Cisco-specific information that you likely won't find useful.

So if taking a CCNA class is the best way to get that knowledge, then I would say go for it. But if you already have that knowledge or can find a better way to get it, then I'd say skip the class.

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

Thank you for the information.

Meow 🐈🐈Meow 🐱🐱 Meow Meow🍺🐈🐱Meow A+!
1 point · 6 months ago

Most devs know nothing about networking and/or infrastructure which means to many problems. It’s good to know the basics!

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

Thank you for the information!

But isn't CCNA R&S and CCNA Security a bit more than the basics?

Meow 🐈🐈Meow 🐱🐱 Meow Meow🍺🐈🐱Meow A+!
1 point · 6 months ago

Yup, it’s much more practical then say the Net+ but they still are junior certs for there respective tracks (though ccna sec assumes a lot of network experience / knowledge)

r/ccna Rules
No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs