Recommended hardware for obtaining CCENT then CCNA

Good Evening/Night,

I have been trying to educate myself on networking and have been using a course from Udemy. The instructor, Marious Kuriata, has been doing a great job of explaining things, I think, so I would like to get more immersed in Cisco and buy some equipment. I am looking at Cisco 880 models because that's what he recommends but I think a couple of switches would be a good idea too. Can anyone recommend a switch or a couple of models that would be good to have?

JNCIA-Junos | CCENT4 points · 6 months ago

Most people will recommend 1841 routers and 3560 switches (2960 if you are really tight on cash).

You can get the CCNA with Cisco's FREE Packet Tracer (link in sidebar). There really isn't much benefit in having a physical lab unless you have the cash to spare for the hardware and increase in your electric bill.

1 point · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

To echo off of this. just use PT then GNS3 for CCNP+ studies.

if you're dead set on hardware, it can get expensive quickly.

avoid anything that can't run IOS15 3 routers & 3 L3 switches 3560s and 2811s just to give you an idea.

Now with more Cisco!3 points · 6 months ago

/r/ccna/wiki/faqs

2-3 routers, 2-3 switches for the CCNA. IOS15+ is good, but not essential. At least 1 L3 switch. 1800 and 2800 routers are good deals, many 2900, 3600, and 3700 switches will work well.

But, yes, as /u/CannibalAngel says, no real need for equipment until after the CCNA, although at the ICND2 level it starts becoming helpful to get a feel for physical devices. I'd recommend staying virtual through the ICND1 until you get an idea of what you want to play with.

Comment deleted6 months ago
Vijay1 point · 6 months ago

Did you buy cables along with these routers/switches? What all interface cables are required?

Packet tracer does the job for the CCNA certification. I won't invest on hardware unless I plan on going beyond CCNA.

CCNA R&S2 points · 6 months ago

Just use GNS3 or PacketTracer. I spent money on a few routers and switches and I rarely use them. It's so much easier and convenient to just fire up GNS3/PT and lab something out.

r/ccna Rules
No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs