Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Passed ICND1 and ICND2!!

Well, been studying since January for the ICND1, and then I had my little man. I knew he was coming, but he came earlier than expected. But, I was able to adjust. I passed my ICND1 withe an 890 (needed 832) in Feburary. The same day, I started cracking down on ICND2. With all the different protocols (EIGRP, BGP, PPP, HDLC, HSRP, etc) it was tough to kinda wrap my head around it. But once I got it, it came natural. Today I passed my ICND2 with a 892 (needed 811). I will say that the second exam was a bit tougher because I was asked questions that was not in my study material.

Speaking of study material, I used CBT Nuggets (thanks Jeremy) and Chris Bryant from uDemy. I also used TestOut. They had a sale that you could try out their services 30 days for only $5. And I also used Boson as well. Boson is a pretty penny, but it gives you that testing environment feel. I also used Packet Tracer and GNS3 to try out practice labs I could find on many forums.

Even though I passed my Network+ last year, it was only a cherry on top, where the CCNA was the layer 3 cake (see what I did there?). I read stories of people taking the composite exam 3 or 4 times. That really turned me off. Not to mention, if I get 54 questions picking from 20 different topics, it may be hard to recall all the information I need. I figured since it's only $5 more to take the exams separately, it couldn't be bad. Not to mention, I could at least get my CCENT and get my foot in the door. My next step is CCNP, and then CCNA Security to go with my Security+. Who knows, I may take a stab at the CCIE.

This is a good day for me, because in 10 days, I will also graduate with a Bachelor's in Computer Science.

Nice!! congratulations man!!

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

Thank you!

Senior Content Developer, Boson Software

Congrats x2! Glad we could help. :)

Congratulations OP. You are indeed someone that should consider the CCIE and truly stick to this field because you seem like a natural.

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

Oh wow. Even though I don't know you well, that truly means a lot. My wife actually said the same thing when I told her I wasn't sure about going for the CCIE. Even though she doesn't understand the Cisco world (but she knows networking), she broke it down to me like a video game:

So you just got your CCNA, which means you beat level 5. You worked your butt so far, but you why give up now? Levels 6 through 9 is your CCNP. They are tough, and it took you a while but you got it after you understood the layout Then the final level is your CCIE. You may have to go back to a few times, but with hard work, you beat it and you get that sense of relief. Bottom line, go fly out to Cisco, do those crazy networks, and blew them away.

I'm surprised you didn't use a book. Did you do much labbing on PT /GNS3?

Original Poster2 points · 3 months ago

Honestly, I'm not a book person. I have to see it and do it. I rarely read books unless I have to. That's why videos are my goto for any study material.

I did use labelling in GNS3 because when networks with 9 or 10 routers, it can get confusing. Packet tracer labels were annoying.

One more thing, I use skillport as well. I got access when I was in the army. Your name reminded me of that.

Did you write down any notes when watching videos? Or do you strictly focus on the videos and just internalize the material

Original Poster3 points · 3 months ago

Nope. No notes. Because most of the videos had white boards I was able to make mental notes. For example, the default for eigrp metrics is 10100. To remember, I figure I use eigrp 101 (as an introductory) and that helped me remembered certain things.

I also think using gns3 with the videos helped as well. It became muscle memory of things to look for. Like the show ip protocols gives a lot of info about a routing protocol in one place.

Lol, me and you think exactly the same way. I wonder how far we can get before we actually have to sit down and write out a bunch of shit. I still prefer to just buy other people's notes lol

Original Poster3 points · 3 months ago

I honestly think in the CCNP and CCIE worlds, we may have to take notes. But then again, someone else will have a "cheat sheet" and once we go off that, it's all good from there.

Can’t believe u did nt use any book

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

I don't get how many people are surprised I don't use books, as I am not a book reader at all. I feel like a book is something that I have to imagine. It's like watching a movie that also has a book (including comic books) .Without authentic Cisco equipment, I needed to see the real thing. Not to mention, seeing experts work on the equipment that I plan on using is key. I think if I had the actual routers, maybe I could use a book, but without it, it seem pointless to me.

Congrats!

Original Poster1 point · 3 months ago

Thank you!

r/ccna Rules

No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs