Reddit Feeds

Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Posted byCCNA RS and Security5 days ago

CCNA Security Passed 866/860

A little late to post but I passed the CCNA:S. Though I barely passed I found the test much more theoretical than actual implementation. In the past, I took a class that was focussed on the CISSP and I believe that that was the biggest help with this certification. Like others have said in CCNA:S posts the Boson materials are invaluable and using a combination of Chris Bryants Udemy videos, and the 31-day book is essential. The OCG was only worth it because I got the book for free. The OCG goes very in depth in some areas that aren't needed and breezes over essential items. I had a few weeks left of a CBTNuggets subscription when I started studying for this cert and the material was very good. If you can get your hands on the parka document I highly recommend it.

Overall it took me about three months to study for this exam. I've worked with ASAs a fair amount in the past and wished to get a better understanding of them and hopefully move into a more security-based role at my new job eventually. From here I'll get the SSCP, then CCNP:RS, and finally CISSP.

For those currently pursuing the certification don't be discouraged by the perceived difficulty of the exam. Yes, the topics are vast but take it one day at a time and lab whenever possible. Also, don't be discouraged by failing and having to retake. Failing is one of the best things that can happen to you. It keeps you humble and encourages you to identify your week areas. As always the wording for certain questions were horrible and if I was talking to a person requesting certain tasks and could ask them to clarify more about what they are looking for I believe I could have scored much higher.

I only had one lab and two drag and drop questions. Know where everything is in ASDM and how to expand certain child elements from submenus. You will not be able to fully browse the ASA but rather then let this frustrate you use it as a clue for where you should look if unaware.

*Edit: If anybody has any particular questions about the exam I'd be more than happy to answer them. While a little dated the following Memrise link is also a great studying tool. memrise.com/course/787865/ccna-security-3/

Congratulations on this! Today my OCG for CCNA Sec arrived! Today marks the beginning of this chapter for me as well!

I plan to also get Udemy's Chris Bryants and Boson. CBTNuggets is still pending decision due to the high cost it has...

Well done my friend! I'll be asking you (and others) questions soon enough! :)

CCNA RS and SecurityOriginal Poster3 points·5 days ago

Good luck. While very expensive CBTNuggets is an amazing resource. I'd recommend getting the parka document from the previous posts on the subreddit with links to it if you don't sign up. At the very least, I'd get the free month trial a month or two before your scheduled exam date so you're able to go in depth on certain topics. Many of the CBT videos refer to CCNP switch topics that offer very granular explanations of exam topics.

Senior Content Developer, Boson Software3 points·5 days ago

Congrats! Glad we could help. :)

CCNA RS and SecurityOriginal Poster3 points·5 days ago

Will definitely be using your resources whenever available. Everything I've used has challenged me in ways that after reading the attached documentation makes me understand it better than ever. Appreciate you and your teams work.

CCNA R&S/SEC2 points·5 days ago

Congrats! Hoping I can get beyond that 860 very soon myself!

A+, N+, CCNA R&S2 points·5 days ago

Congrats. About a third of the way to taking the test myself. Will definitely check out Chris Bryant's videos on your recommendation.

A+, N+, CCNA R&S2 points·5 days ago

Also, that's shitty that there was only 1 sim. On the CCNA R&S test, I loved the sims and I'm absolutely positive I got 100% on them. Sims are so straight forward instead of the confusing wording on some of the questions ;(

CCNA RS and SecurityOriginal Poster1 point·5 days ago

Yeah without violating the NDA my particular sim was disappointingly easy, more identifying things that actual configurations. Looking at older posts some people say that a particular sim is broken, and then others say it isn't broken but rather participants aren't looking in the right area (possible differences in ASDM versions such as packet flow I'm not sure).

What Boson bits and peices helped the most? If like to know if the lab sim is worth it as i have gns3 set up already with a couple ASAv

CCNA RS and SecurityOriginal Poster1 point·4 days ago

I feel that the practice test are very good and worth the money. If you already have a good GNS3 ASAv setup and are familiar with working with them then the practice labs may not be worth it for you. The lab that I learned the most from is the CoPP module. I was familiar with many of the modules subjects from having to work with them in the past but going through them granularly and reading all the white pages attached definitely helped.

Thanks. I feel the biggest thing i would get out of it is the whitepages there ready to go but i can create that as i go and build my study OneNote.

CCNA RS and SecurityOriginal Poster1 point·4 days ago

If you'd like my notes DM me. I can't guarantee that all the information is a 100% technically correct and contains some shorthand that I regularly use.

how is the difficulty compared to regular CCNA?

I have the rgular CCNA should i get ccnp first or go for CCNA:S

CCNA RS and SecurityOriginal Poster1 point·5 days ago·edited 5 days ago

This is a widely debated topic that has many different posts in the past month or so. Personally with my timeline for this year I couldn't dedicate enough time to achieve the CCNP so I went for the CCNA:S. This also is a good path for me because I wanted to get more familiar with ASA concepts and move into a more security-based role. I would identify what job you would like to have, view listings in your area and identify what will help you the most. In general, certification has only ever been an interview opener for me after that it becomes, "so what have you done with that knowledge". Lab, lab, lab. Ask to shadow engineers or senior engineers if available and learn more about what is happening around you if able to. The soft skills are just as, if not more important than technical skills. Show that you are willing to learn and can self-study and go from there. Become somebody that understands your company's, or clients network, very well and people think of you when an unusual problem occurs.

*Edit thought you said CCNA:RS instead of CCNP:RS

congrats and thanks for sharing

which other certs do you have?

Congratulations on your pass, thanks for sharing your resources! :)

r/ccna Rules

No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs