Posted byNet+, CCENT2 months ago

How hard is it to get the latest images for lab gear? (and other lab gear questions)

Hi All!

I have been browsing eBay the last few days in hopes of finding good deals on gear.

The packages seem a tad bit expensive compared to getting parts separately but for the most part, it seems like they come with everything you would need (rack, ears, latest iOS, modules)

Heres one example

I'm aiming for 3 routers (1841s or 2811s) and 3 switches (2960s or 3560s).

On the other hand, if I search for individual lots I find listings like this that's two 2960Gs for only $58.

Anyone have experience with these packages? What about ordering separately? If I do end up getting gear separately how difficult is it to get the latest images?

[removed]

Net+, CCENTOriginal Poster2 points · 2 months ago

Definitely won't do this at all.

Just 'cause it ain't in my flair doesn't mean I don't have certs2 points · 2 months ago

Good. You'd better not or Chuck Robbins will show up and whack you on the peepee.

Now with more Cisco!3 points · 2 months ago

Technically, the only legal source for images is from Cisco. However, you can easily pull an image from one device to another--so there is some value to making all your lab switches the same model. The older the equipment, the more likely you will be able to "find" images.

That being said, for lab work, the image version isn't that important. You definitely don't need "the latest" version, 12.2 is completely acceptable. If you absolutely, positively need IOS 15, you can find that relatively easily on existing equipment. You don't need 15.4(3)SE11 or whatever.

Net+, CCENTOriginal Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Managed to get a cart @ $341 ewhich si less than the bundles but comes with the better 2960G switches and 3x 1841s iunstead of 2x and 1x 2811 (heard these are noisy)

3x1841 https://www.ebay.com/itm/371409217287

2x 2960G https://www.ebay.com/itm/132622499733

1x 3560 https://www.ebay.com/itm/382427057835

a desktop rack @ like $24

and 4x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 https://www.ebay.com/itm/323208573263

Net+, CCENTOriginal Poster1 point · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Scratch all this, work is giving me most of the gear. 3x 1841 (at least I hope they're 1841s, def 1800 series)

And 1x 3560

Gonna snag that 2x 2960 deal on eBay to finish it off along with a rack and any serial modules I may need.

Edit:They were 1841s just need to upgrade RAM/Flash and IOS

Now with more Cisco!1 point · 2 months ago

Good on you. It's hard to comprehend how "little" gear like 1800s and the unsung heroes of the networking world, the 2690s and 3750s, tend to accumulate in data closets and storage rooms.

I think I've "found" on average a switch per month at my current job.

You can get L2 new IOS image files for your 2960G, and the like. Any L3 switch or router or even a old Cisco 2509-rj terminal access server you have to have a paid support account to be able to use the latest image.

r/ccna Rules
No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs