Posted byCCNA Sec+2 months ago

CCNA Security passed!

Hey there, WGU student here having just passed C299. I got a score of 880.

I spent 2 months studying for this exam after having finished CCENT and CCNA in the February and March.

Resources used: Lynda's Lisa Bock CCNA-Her series is incomplete as of when I last checked in May. Good overall beginning resource. Pluralsight's Brandon Carroll Explained concepts well with great use of visuals. CBTNuggets Keith Barker- I'm normally a fan on Keith, but I think this series wasn't that good. The videos often dragged on for way too long and concepts were all over the place. Still recommend watching this series, but tapering expections.

For books: UCertify OCG- Light on information and doesn't cover everything. Would use to get a grasp of CCNA security. 31 days to CCNA- Best resource to use. Fills in the gaps OCG misses.

For practice tests: Kaplan practice tests on Plursight-Good intro questions. Boson- ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. GET IT. Reading the answers to the questions taught me so much.

Miscellaneous: Read the Parka.

Thoughts: A lot of weirdly worded questions(go figure) and esoteric concepts and the most challenging CCNA compared to CCNA RS and CCENT.

Where I go from here: I'm done with CCNA for a while. Next WGU class will be a spreadsheet class.

CCNA R&S/SEC6 points · 2 months ago

Congrats, fellow WGUer.

CCNA Sec+Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

Thanks man.

MTA:Net,A+,Net+,Sec+,CCENT3 points · 2 months ago

Great job! I've got to finish ICND2 and then go into either CCDA or CCNA Sec. Are you doing CCDA or have you already?

CCNA Sec+Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

Not doing CCDA and don't plan on it for the future.

MTA:Net,A+,Net+,Sec+,CCENT1 point · 2 months ago

Thanks. It is part of the BSNOS program at WGU. I think I'll do it after CCNA Sec

Appreciate the study material details. Good job!

CCNA Sec+Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

No problem, I did this just to elaborate on a bunch of resources that I've seen people who passed don't tend to break down the their resources and what they think of it.

What kind of job offering starting are you getting now that you have a CCNA R&S and CCNA Security?

CCNA Sec+Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Currently in the military, so cant answer your question yet

CCNA R&S, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+2 points · 2 months ago

Great job!! I'll be bookmarking this post as I have to take this class next semester. Then the capstone and then I'm done!!

That all assumes I'll make it through C697 and C698 first. Horrible classes. Poorly written material.

CCNA Sec+Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Yikes, that's discouraging to hear about 697 and 698. I was going to try to bulldoze at least one of them in a couple of weeks due to my term ending.

CCNA R&S, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+1 point · 2 months ago

if you are familiar with Linux already, you might be able to blaze through them. I, however, have zero knowledge of Linux.

I've been using some other resources like TestOut and Pluralsight, and they have been way better and have given me a basic understanding of what's going on now.

CCNA Sec+Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

I'm running a Linux Ubuntu distro right now, but I don't do any of the Terminal commands. The class is to learn from and pass after C268.

Congrats!! I have ICND2 and CCNA Sec left on my degree. Glad to know the test is able to be conquered!

CCNA Sec+Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Yep! Just study hard take practice tests and you should do fine. Use all available resources and if you need help just contact your voice matter that's what they're here for.

CCNA R&S, Sec+, Net+, A+1 point · 2 months ago

What resources are specifically helpful regarding topics on the exam that may not be properly listed in the topics? This is my main concern before sitting for it, as I've read a lot of people encountered questions they were not prepared for.

CCNA Sec+Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

Boson and Pluralsight in my opinion.

knock it well your still motivated and fresh in your head...

JNCIA-Junos | CCENT1 point · 2 months ago

Congratulations!

I'm going to WGU this fall (company is paying for it). I've gotten alot of the certs that come with the degree program already. how does it work? do I opt out of the classes if I have the certification for it already? Do I get credit torwards my degree with them?

CCNA Sec+Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

You would transfer them over and they should be accepted. Whether they choose to accept it or not depends on if the certification is in the degree plan.

CCNA R&S1 point · 2 months ago

Are you working yet? I am curious to see what kind of job you would get.

I used to be all about Networking, I got my CCNA R&S all by myself when I was 19 and want to be a CCIE. However, I kind of want to go the Sysadmin route, do some scripting, etc.

Currently I am on a contract as a Field Technician. I think it's a good way to get your feet wet.

CCNA Sec+Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Currently in the military. If I get out, I'll probably stay in the it field.

CCNA R&S, Sec+, Net+, & A+ certified1 point · 2 months ago

How much labbing / hands on practice did you get with the ASA and ASDM? I’m currently working my way through CBT and labbing along the way. Then plan to get Boson and study the hell outa that. Then 31 days book. Hope that’s enough.

CCNA Sec+Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Very briefly played around with the ADSM. Well mostly to just remember how to get to resources.

Senior Content Developer, Boson Software1 point · 2 months ago

Congrats! And I'm glad you went ALL CAPS when recommending us! :)

CCNA Sec+Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

Your stuff is amazing I recommend it to everybody who asks me about CCNA.

Senior Content Developer, Boson Software1 point · 2 months ago

Aww, thanks. :) I appreciate it!!

r/ccna Rules
No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs