I made a short video to help explain what a subnet is at its base. What do you think?

I've been working on creating a series of videos over the past few weeks to help demystify subnetting. Each video is 60 seconds or less so that they are easily digestible. This was one of the more difficult videos since there is a lot of things to cover when talking about subnetting, but I believe I boiled it down to the most basic elements. Please let me know what you think. This video was requested by redditor. With that in mind, I have a lot of videos already planned, but I am very open to creating videos that people are interested in seeing. If you have a video you would like to see, let me know and I will make an effort to prioritize it. :) If you like what I'm doing, it would mean a lot if you would subscribe to my channel. I plan on keeping instructional or informational videos like these coming weekly for the foreseeable future.

Subnets: What is a Subnet? (The Wilson Minute)

Talk. Slower.

Original Poster1 point · 4 days ago

I definitely get this a lot, but I would say there are more people who appreciate the speed of the video than those who ask me to change it. That being said, I got the suggestion to work on my dictation to help me speak more clearly. I plan to start doing this and hope it will make the videos easier to keep up with for those having issues. In the meantime, YouTube does have a feature that allows you to slow down a video.

Talk way. Fucking slower. Are you being chased?

Original Poster1 point · 4 days ago

Only thing chasing me is the time.

I am trying to keep the videos to one minute or less and have a lot of people who love the concept and the speed these videos are done at. There are quite a few people, here on /r/CCNA and elsewhere, that watch all their videos at 2x speed because 1x speed just takes forever to get the point across. They are my target audience with these videos, however, people who don't like the speed, but appreciate the conciseness can utilize the built in feature to slow down YouTube videos to a speed they are more comfortable with.

PracticalNetworking.net
3 points · 5 days ago

Those of you asking him to talk slower... you know there is a feature in Youtube to reduce the playback speed, right? You can play it at half or quarter speed.

Original Poster2 points · 4 days ago

I think next time I'm going to put this suggestion in the original body. I let at least a handful of people know about this feature each time I make a video. Maybe I'll make a Wilson Minute about it. Haha.

PracticalNetworking.net
1 point · 4 days ago

Maybe I'll make a Wilson Minute about it. Haha

Ha!

Thanks again. I've been keeping up with your vids. They really help crystallize some things. You are really appreciated.

Original Poster2 points · 4 days ago

Thanks! I'm working on getting better at them all the time and it's comments like these that make me want to get back in there. I appreciate you as well.

I like putting your videos on 2x and pretending it's Jeremy Cioara.

When sped up to x2, sounds like the person at the end of a commercial reading off terms and conditions lol

Original Poster1 point · 4 days ago

You are not wrong.

Original Poster1 point · 5 days ago

I don't get it. Does Jeremy Cioara speak very fast? I just finished my CCNA R&S and watched all of his videos on double speed as he spoke too slowly.

I like the videos. I think you're getting better at making them coherent at this speed, and you should keep it up.

If I were to give any feedback, I'd work on diction. You can look at techniques for voice over or even for singing, but it will help with clarity. I think it'll help these really connect, as it's the only thing that doesn't come across as fully polished.

You have a few speech patterns that physically require you to slow down, as well as making some sounds harder to make out. One example is you use the back of your tongue, almost like a glottal stop on your "n" in "an IP network," instead of the n being forward on the tip of your tongue, which is clearer and faster.

good shit. It comes across a little like those sarcastic social commentary videos with all the cuts, but in a business setting. Pretty cool.

Original Poster1 point · 4 days ago

This is some fantastic feedback and I will definitely take time to look up some ways to work on my diction. I don't know how this hasn't crossed my mind yet, but I'm glad it crossed yours. It will without a doubt help in these videos and in real life.

Glad you like the videos.

Do it again but make it 3 minutes. I'm hard of hearing and can't even hear it.

Good, concise information > the novelty of speed

Original Poster0 points · 4 days ago

One of the ideas I have for this channel is to make a separate episode of "The BytePen Breakdown" that takes several episodes of "The Wilson Minute" and combines them without the time constraint. I plan to keep these videos relatively short, but maybe not try to speak as quickly.

I also came across the suggestion to work on my diction a bit. I think this is a great idea and will be taking steps to do so. Hopefully this will help in the future as well.

For the current time, YouTube has a feature that lets you speed up or slow down the video you are watching, and I get enough positive feedback about the speed of the videos that I do not plan on making them slower.

That feature is cool but I don't find your videos useful enough to go the extra step to slow them down myself. Just being blunt.

Original Poster1 point · 4 days ago

That's fair. There's tons of other YouTubers out there. Hope you find one that suits your style. :)

It's well presented, but it's very fast.

Is the goal to fit everything into a single minute? It sounds like a good brand, but that brand may harm more than help.

Original Poster2 points · 4 days ago

Thanks.

That is the goal. Time will tell if it works or not. I'm not looking to become the next Linus or anything, so I'm not overly worried if it doesn't take off. Just having fun making some educational videos and hope some others find them helpful.

I know what you mean. I do the same thing!

r/ccna Rules
No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs