Feeling like boson is a 'waste' for icnd1

I'm a pretty good student and found myself understanding most of the theory directly after reading the odom guide and doing cbt nuggets but i know myself well enough and ive found myself being overconfident multiple times in the past.

Boson ex-sim for CCENT is 70€ for me now with the discount which isnt a high amount but its still money which i could put to use. I will definitely buy the exsim for incd2 but im wondering how big a difference itll make for me for icnd1. Can anyone share any similar findings/Experiences?

Also, are these tests timed (in how long they work/Are valid) or can i keep the exsim around for a year or forever to repeat & practice later should i feel like i get rusty?

Net+, CCENT, CCNA R&S4 points · 2 months ago

I can tell you I just bought the bison ExSim for ICND1 and have been finding it really helpful. Two things I really like.

1.) you get 5 different practice test so I’m sure over a few hundred different questions

2.) the practice mode lets you see the answers as you are taking the test. I find this really helpful for studying. It also gives you a live score so you know if you answer the question wrong or right.

I am enrolled in the netacad program. I have gone through all the modules and was feeling very confident. The boson test threw me for a curve compared to the netacad practice ICND1. If anything just getting the knowledge of all the different test just gives you a 100% solid one up on the people who only use one source.

The way I see it is $75 is a drop in the bucket to the potential money I will be making with a CCNA or higher. If this test better prepared me to get there faster then it was way worth the money.

Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

Helpful answer, thanks! I think i’ll go for it after all since it still is my first cert exam and dont know what to expect. Will be a huge boon for both my understanding/comprehension and self-esreem/confidence.

Net+, CCENT, CCNA R&S1 point · 2 months ago

No problem it’s nice to bounce ideas off of each other here. I’m taking the test on the 28th let’s hope all the practice test pay off.

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

You’ll be just fine, give it your best

personally, I prefer the buffalo ExSim

Senior Content Developer, Boson Software2 points · 2 months ago

Awwww... a waste? Big crocodile tears!! :(

Practice exams are good for three years, but the live exams typically change every three years, so for all practical purposes, they're good for the life of the exam. That said, exams don't delete themselves after you activate them - you can continue to use them as long as you want.

Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

My apologies Michael, it was not meant like that! I have cbt from my job and got the og book myself which, additional to freebie tests, made me think that for a more basic icnd1 the test wouldnt be as big a plus as it would be for icnd2 and friends.

I will probably try and gather the extra money and get it anyway, better safe than sorry! Especially now that another person said you guys explain the why of the case very well.

If i may ask you a question, does boson offer ‘company’ accounts with which an entire team can use an account to learn? I only found something about single user licenses. They seem interested and hadnt heard about it, but sadly already squandered the ‘18 budget on some worthless, unused developper stuff :^)

Senior Content Developer, Boson Software1 point · 2 months ago

Actually, I really didn't take offense at it. ICND1 is definitely easier than ICND2, so I can understand saving money on the first exam. :)

We do have offers for organizations that allow our products to be used by multiple employees. Pass along this page to whomever is responsible for your training budget: http://www.boson.com/Employee-Training-Solutions

CCNA R/S, SecFND, CompTIA Triad1 point · 2 months ago

We also have CBT Nuggets at my employer and all I can say is that their free Transcender (now Kaplan so YMMV) practice exams are garbage. I saw exam topics that weren't even for my particular version of the ICND1.

In my view, nothing beats Boson, but if you're looking for more practice questions, the premium version of the Odom OSG includes several practice exams and are quite good with their explanations. I think I got it for $10-20 USD with the coupon included in the hardback copy of the OSG.

Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

Additionally, is the boson content downloadable and usable offline?

Senior Content Developer, Boson Software1 point · 2 months ago

Absolutely.

No offense, but how can you assume it's a waste without taking the test?

I 100% attribute my passing of ICND1 / 2 to Boson Exam Sims. The best way I can explain it is that Boson test questions were level 3 questions and the exam rarely hits level 3, which means that it is harder than the actual exam.

Level 1 being "what is x"

Level 2 being "how does x work"

Level 3 being "x is broken - what's wrong and how do you fix?"

The fact that it was harder better prepares you for the actual exam.

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

I implied ‘waste’ as in ‘ccent mainly teaches basics and has to test them’, so the ‘basic’ practice exams could very well be more than enough.

I did know bosm was ‘harder’ than the official exam but didnt know they went towards the why, which is a pleasant surprise to me

CCNA Sec - R&S /A+/Net+/Sec+1 point · 2 months ago

I felt the NetSim was a better investment for the CCNA series, than the ExSim. You can use GNS3 of course. But, having pre-built labs with step by step instructions, sure helps!

Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

The simlet questions are my biggest source of insecurity, but for icnd2 i really want the boson exsims and simlets on top gets a tad over what i want to allocate since im still stuck on helpdesk for at least 6 months :(

Maybe i’ll save a bit and look into it, already quite lucky my employer pays the exams and a retake.

Honestly your title could really use some work.

Personally I did not use Boson for ICND1 as I felt I understood the material well enough and it does not go into too much detail on actually configuring routers and switches. Just the overview of how things work. For ICND2 I got Boson Netsim and Exsim and found them both extremely useful in my prep for the exam. I of course used other sources also in addition to building out my own little networks in Packet Tracer.

1 point · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

the test prep isnt designed in order to make sure you pass the test. its designed to make sure you know everything that can possibly be covered in the entire scope of the incd1.

i read the lammle book and watched the cbt nuggets course, and stuff boson is asking of me are concepts i have never even heard of.

Edit: this software is horrible. The test prep expects you to have an expert level knowledge base to pass a fucking entry level exam.

Its one thing that "you want to learn everything on a deep fundamental level" and it's another thing to spend 2 years studying for a ccna.

Every question and answer is deliberately set up to trick you, requiring you to have expert level knowledge.

Network+1 point · 1 month ago

Lol brainlet.

Honestly it is one of the best tools out there and it helps you gauge what you are retaining and tailor your studies. Your education is an investment so really nothing is ever going to be a waste of money. I just bought the ccie exam sim and it woke me up yesterday that I have a lot of work to do.

r/ccna Rules
No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs