Degree with CCNA?

Evening all,

Does anybody know of legit online schools that offer Network ops type of degrees and use CCNA type certs for the final? I'm referring to programs like WGU Network and Security degree program? I've looked at WGU but prefer a more structured/standard university. I'm currently at Dakota State University and the program is good but I'd really like to get certs with a degree. Thoughts? Advice?

Edit for additional info:

Money isn't a big issue as I'm on GI-Bill.

Full time student

DSU has me task saturated so no time to study for certs on my own

Thanks Reddit!

CCNA R&S, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
7 points · 9 days ago

I'm a student at WGU going through the BS for IT Security. Along the way, I've picked up various industry standard certs like CompTIA's A+, Project+, Network+, and Security+, as well as my CCNA Routing and Switching. I'm working on my Linux+ cert now, then my CCNA Security. All of these certs were considered actual classes in my program, with all the study materials and tests included in the tuition. I hate to say it, but you won't find any school that is as cost effective as WGU. You do have to be very self motivated though, that is for sure!

This is what attracted me to WGU and the same program. Currently starting next month.

Original Poster1 point · 9 days ago

Thanks for the reply.

I'm very close to hitting the button for WGU for that degree but don't want to prematurely jump to a new university. I have no problem with motivation or time as I'm a full time student at the moment. Do you mind if I shoot you a PM to discuss WGU further?

CCNA R&S, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
2 points · 8 days ago

Sure! Please do!

3 points · 9 days ago

Im taking a Network Engineering Associates Degree at my local community college online. You get your CCNA and a degree which is cool, i prefer this route as well due to the structured content. I would advise to just check all local community colleges due to this is typically kept within a associates or 2 year program, and of course save some money on the way.

Original Poster1 point · 9 days ago

Appreciate the reply.

Unfortunately, none of my local community colleges fit the bill. I'm also past my associates already and just working on core classes. '

Which college are you attending online? I'll check it out and see if I can make it work for some classes.

Check to see if there are any not for profit technical/trade schools in your area. That's where I got my networking degree and it included the certs in the tuition.

CCNA R&S/SEC
2 points · 8 days ago

Curious as to what you mean by "more structured/standard university"?

Why do you want to be choke chained on some arbitrary schedule?

Original Poster1 point · 8 days ago

We had a chat on a previous WGU discussion, your advice is why I'm still leaning towards WGU. By structured, I mean where lectures are posted, useful assignments designed to aid learning etc. My current school has part of that but I'm sick of the pointless assignments that suck time and don't aid learning.

Before I make a jump to WGU, I'm curious if there other schools that offer a degree and certs?

My worry with WGU is that I don't have a concept on what the actual curriculum looks like. I get that the final exams are often times the cert exam but whats the prep material look like? Is it just handing you a 600 page book and saying "have at it" or is it more?

CCNA R&S/SEC
4 points · 8 days ago

It's more. Realize I got my Associate's from a community college. The professors were hit or miss. I had two great ones and the rest were either so-so or actually incompetent. The resources we used were the same type (and sometimes even brand) as WGU. I consulted YouTube and forums for concepts I didn't understand, as I would have to wait for the next class session to bring it up to the prof, who may or may not have the answer or if they did might explain it in a repeated manner of the method I didn't understand to begin with.

Send me a PM w/ your email and when I get a chance I'll do a screencapture video of resources.

Most have videos, quizlets, and yes, reading. Those resources are the same ones recommended here over and over: CBTNuggets, Boson, OCGs, Ucertify, Lynda.com, etc.

The only class with "meh" resources is CCNA Sec, and that's the fault of the test, not WGU. That particular test is just not well represented in the materials world. However, the best resources for it (Boson, CBTNuggets, and 31 Day before CCNA Sec) are provided by WGU along with the lackluster OCG. Lynda.com is provided as well and includes videos and the Kaplan/transcender practice test.

The /r/WGU subreddit has plenty of "lessons learned" on the non-Cisco classes with tons of useful tips. The course mentors (SMEs) are usually pretty helpful on pointing you in the right direction when you need a nudge.

With the Cisco specific courses, mainly CCENT and CCNA, Boson is a great resource for labbing and test prep along with the OCG.

Linux+ uses Ucertify and has access to testout's courses for it.

The internal courses are usually laid out well.

There's no magic bullet. Even with a talking head at the front of the room it is incumbent upon you, the student, to learn the material. WGU does a good job of bringing together the best resources which have success behind them.

In combo with tuition including 2x cert attempts, it's a cost effective option.

Original Poster1 point · 8 days ago

Perfect. Once again you hit the nail on the head and gave info I was looking for. I was just looking at paying for Boson out of my own pocket to supplement the curriculum at my other school. Now, I probably won't have to. I'll shoot you a PM with email.

Thanks again.

I third WGU, I am also currently taking IT - Security. Almost done, hopefully 1 more term if I can pass this damn Linux+

And I agree with you wanting to know if WGU is the right fit, I’ll say this. For majority of the courses, they provide material for multiple types of learners. Books for people who read to learn like me, videos for people who learn that way, for the cert tests they give multiple practice tests/ flash cards / labs if you learn by repetition. I got my associates completely online through my community college, I hated the fact that I had to take 16 weeks to pass 4 courses.. it took WAY to long. With WGU it’s at your own pace meaning of your motivated.. you can knock out as many classes as you can as fast as you can. My first term I complete 32 credits (they call them CUs). In a traditional college that would have been at least 3 semesters.. a year and a half of my life. Lol

Anyways I recommend it, it’s been a fantastic experience so far. Plus they have paid over $1,500 in exams fees for me already.. I would have never paid for all of the certs I have!

Good luck with that ever you decide!

Is this WGU path you’re taking completely online? Sounds interesting.

Original Poster1 point · 7 days ago

Great info, thanks! This is the kind of details I was looking for. Finally finished my app for WGU in the NOS program. Probably start in Sept or Oct after I finish up some classes at my current university.

My community college was all online, and the. Yes WGU is now all online for my BA

r/ccna Rules
No posting of illegal materials
No posting of braindumps
Be courteous and helpful
Don't ask others to complete your labs