Posted byIt's the Tie1 month ago

New Teacher

1.3k comments
7.6k points · 1 month agoGilded1

Well, he is proficient in Defense against the Dark Arts.

2.2k points · 1 month ago

This comic missed a good opportunity to mention black magic

845 points · 1 month ago

"I will not teach blacks magic!"

215 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Black student: Did he just say..?

Scarred nose student: It's like he whose name turns into Voldemort in every translation isn't even trying anymore.

2 more replies

This is gold and could easily replace the text in box 3!

1 more reply

Yeah. The joke was lost on me because I could clearly recall black students in the movie. Great premise, but lacking execution imo

Yeah like 3. Good times.

8 more replies

6 more replies

109 points · 1 month ago

How do you defend against jazz and soul food?

Call the cops on the perpetrators and hope you don't end up being posted on social media and turned into a social pariah. (Though I don't get how white people keep doing this and expecting to not be posted on the internet)

Because they’ve been doing it for decades and just recently it became a thing to record them.

3 more replies

38 points · 1 month ago

Defense Against the Darks Art

9 more replies

7.9k points · 1 month ago

There are black students in Hogwarts I think, Dean Thomas for example.

3.3k points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

There's also Asian students.

The Patil sisters Cho Chang

And don’t forget about Octavius Goldblatt, the hogwarts jew

What's that thing when you Google something only for where you originally saw it to be the top result? That happened when I searched "Octavius Goldblatt".

Wow I made it to the front page of google!

Yer a wizard, /u/poke_maniac_jay

2 more replies

"upvote this so when people Google 'Hogwarts jew' they see this post" is what I've seen reddit call it.

3 more replies

608 points · 1 month ago

Do you mean Anthony Goldstein?

342 points · 1 month ago

(((He Who Must Not Be Named)))

Dude I've been playing too much Diablo 3. Thought this was a primal ancient item...

7 more replies

1 more reply

"it takes immense courage to stand up for what you believe and even greater courage if that belief is jewish, 50 points to the Jew" - Dumbledore.

"Also a free 'get out of the shower' card"

"What?"

"What?"

3 more replies

"the hogwarts jew" lol

Oh you mean Goldemort?

5 more replies

Ah yes, Koreanlastname Chineselastname, the most token Asian character of all time.

144 points · 1 month ago

BITCH THAT’S LAVENDER BROWN! Racist Redditor!

Enough to make you want to transfer to Pigfarts

Anyone want a red vine?

3 more replies

4 more replies

388 points · 1 month ago

She might as well have named the character “Ching Chong”.

572 points · 1 month ago

I mean, Rowling was pretty heavy-handed with names anyway. Remus Lupin? His parents might as well have named him Wolfy McWolfface. No fucking wonder he got bit by a werewolf.

"He was bit by Fenrir Greyback!!!"

You mean "Bit By Wolf, Has Gray Hair"?????

She may as well have been writing a book meant for children.

Are you implying that Cho Chang was bitten by an Asian?

Could be. It’s happened to me.

Do you have super powers

Idk, I can use chopsticks pretty well.

30 points · 1 month ago

She was Sally Smith when she started at Hogwarts.

107 points · 1 month ago

Don't tell that to /r/harrypotter

I'm subbed.

All I have to say to you is...

Actually, scrap that, I'm going to obliviate myself and continue living in blissful ignorance of the fact I obsess I've a children's book series.

24 more replies

22 points · 1 month ago

She has the Irish boy always blowing stuff up too.

But apparently Dumbledore was secretly gay, so she's super progressive.

43 points · 1 month ago

Given the surname is one syllable, it could be korean. Although I don't know all possible korean names

45 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

There's a couple strange things about it. Both Cho and Chang are Korean surnames (though the Chang I knew spelled it Jang, but both spellings could work depending on how you wanted to romanize the name). I don't know all Korean given names (Cho could be a given name sometimes in addition to being a surname sometimes), but one syllable given names are very very rare, they're almost always two syllables. Almost every Korean person has a three syllable full name, a la Kim Jong-un where the second syllable of the given name is not a middle name, but just part of their "first name" ( I use quotes because in Korea, the first name comes after the surname, though for Cho Chang, she wouldn't adhere to surname first because she's living in the UK)

9 more replies

Chang is indeed a possible Korean last name, but it's not very common.

Can confirm, have Korean friend with last name Chang

5 more replies

6 more replies

Most neo nazis I’ve met are actually tolerant of Asians

This is actually true. Some friends and I used to troll Stormfront, where we watched them give Chinese Nationalists extra points (the forum used to have that) because they were supremacists too. It was weird.

Its not that weird. they needed to accept them or they would not be able to reconcile the hard data showing greater academic achievement and their superpower tier nations. There are some truths even bigots cannot unsee.

That the Japanese live in an ethnostate and the Chinese are repressive as hell also helps.

6 more replies

109 points · 1 month ago

I mean, didn't the Nazis consider the Japanese "honorary whites"?

137 points · 1 month ago

Japanese people are often very pale though...

But seriously the Nazis didn't care about skin colour, they cared about ethnicity. They hated Slavs and other white ethnicities such as Romani and Polish. They also didn't see British or French as being the same as German and Nordic people.

Hitler himself is quoted as saying:

Pride in one's own race – and that does not imply contempt for other races – is also a normal and healthy sentiment. I have never regarded the Chinese or the Japanese as being inferior to ourselves. They belong to ancient civilizations, and I admit freely that their past history is superior to our own. They have the right to be proud of their past, just as we have the right to be proud of the civilization to which we belong. Indeed, I believe the more steadfast the Chinese and the Japanese remain in their pride of race, the easier I shall find it to get on with them.

Hitler also supported the Japanese after they defeated Russia in the Russo-Japanese war, as he really disliked Slavs.

78 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

what you're saying is mostly consistent with Hitler's ideology but there is one problem; the above quote that you cite comes from The Testament of Adolf Hitler: the Hitler-Bormann documents, February-April 1945. I know this because I googled the quote and that's where Wikiquote said it came from. why is this relevent? because it puts this quote in the very large disputed section of the article; right below where it says the source of the quote it has this quote from historian Ian Kershaw "This English version contains a very loose and untrustworthy translation of the German text—itself not guaranteed to be identical with any long-lost original or the lost copy of that original—which was eventually published only in 1981... The available German text is, therefore, at best a construct; neither the original nor the copy of that original exists. [Eduard] Baumgarten tended, since the content was consonant with Hitler's thinking and expression, to accept the authenticity of the text. There is, however, no proof and, therefore, no reliable German text whose authenticity can be placed beyond question." (Hitler, 1936-45: Nemesis, 2001, http://books.google.com/books?id=B5fJYMxufVcC&pg=PA1025). so while it's possible Hitler may have said this, I wouldn't take it as anything more than pure conjecture.

EDIT: it occurs to me I should probably link to Hitler's wikiquote. Can’t link to the specific section because I'm on mobile but it should be able to be found based on my description https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Adolf_hitler

5 more replies

3 more replies

3 more replies

10 more replies

30 more replies

453 points · 1 month ago

Dean Thomas, Lee Jordan, and Blaise Zabini....I’ve got two kids...don’t judge me. Lol.

Angelina Johnson as well.

225 points · 1 month ago

That’s right. Oh and Kingsley Shacklebolt!

That's such a badass name.

7 more replies

6 more replies

Comment deleted1 month ago(3 children)

That's class president Lee Jordan to you.

140 points · 1 month ago

And Lavender Brown before she started dating Ron and turned white.

Casting a white actress in a role that had previously been held by black actresses, however, earned the film-makers some criticism for white-washing the cast. Although, in the book, when she and Ron are cuddling, it is said that "it was impossible to tell whose hands were whose", which does imply she was white, as if she was black, their hands would quite clearly be identified from each other's.

59 points · 1 month ago

They could have just given her a hand transplant or something.

Or better yet, double down on their "mistake" and keep the same actress even if it's not a perfect adaptation of the book.

Because as Ludo Bagman will tell you, the movies are known to be 100% faithful to the source material.

And if you don't believe ol' Bagman, just ask Peeves :(

And Winky.

18 points · 1 month ago

I thought yo were going to say: "double down on their mistake and make Ron black."

2 more replies

That is fucking hilarious.

10 more replies

31 points · 1 month ago

I don’t recall the books giving a race description of Lavender Brown..I’ll have to watch the movies again.

They didn't. However, in the earlier movies the actress portraying her, who didn't have any lines, was Black. Different actress for every movie, but still Black. When her role expanded in the sixth movie they recast her again. This time with a White actress.

1 more reply

I think they mean that when Lavender was a background character in the movies she was not white. But then she became a prominent character in movie 6 so they recast her and the actress was white. IDK if they mention it in the books either though

8 more replies

And Michael Corner, the kid from Ravenclaw who dated Ginny for a bit

Who was the kid that read about the Grim in Trelawy’s class? I think it was the Grim...

41 points · 1 month ago

He didn't exist in the books. Apparently, he was only named in the closed captioning of the film, but not the credits (he was just Boy 1) His name is "Bem." Even though he is never mentioned again in any Harry Potter media of any type, the wikia lists his blood status as being either pure or half blood, because he wasn't specifically listed as being sent away during the seventh book.

15 points · 1 month ago

Jesus christ Harry Potter fans are as bad a the star wars fandom when it comes to latching onto small details

9 more replies

132 points · 1 month ago

Angelina Johnson was referred to as something like "a rather attractive black girl" or something like that too.

Yeah, has dreads too I think.

Yes! Pansy Parkinson teased her for her hairstyle, saying that it looked like she had "snakes coming out her head" iirc

Wow, Pansy is a bitch

1 more reply

"The ho with the badonkadonk"

It's the TieOriginal Poster1.5k points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

There are several black extras as well, I just recently rewatched the Harry Potter films, and it struck me how predominantly white Hogwarts is. It's just a silly joke

Edit: If you liked this comic, you can see more of my work here or on my instagram, thank you so much for reading!

Magic is so crazy

132 points · 1 month ago

But Crabbe started out as a white student, then became black in the later movies. Perfectly balanced.

I believe Crabbe was replaced with book character Blaise Zabini who was a black student in Slytherin.

I know. It just felt weird, suddenly replacing the actor without anybody in Hogwarts acknowledging it. Like, it was always Crabbe and Goyle. Suddenly it's Zabini and Goyle and nobody asks, "Hey, what happened to that other guy?"

57 points · 1 month ago

He was gunna play Crabbe some more but then he got high... and busted for possession... and rioting.

4 more replies

4 more replies

30 points · 1 month ago

Yep, iirc the actor who played Crabbe was in legal trouble or something

That wasn't Crabbe

9 more replies

6 more replies

1.1k points · 1 month ago

Its europe

It's Britain, which is very diverse

The black wizards choose to go to Howard School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

47 points · 1 month ago

Fuck, I love that sketch. Feel like Vincent Clortho would have been a hilarious setting to do other scenes in.

23 points · 1 month ago

Wand with a silencer holy shit lol.

161 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

At least now Rowling showed that there are schools of magic in Africa too (and it's a castle in the clouds, much cooler than Hogwarts if you ask me). They are also known to cast spells without using wands (pretty much witchers)

98 points · 1 month ago

Is it a place where no one cries? Crying at all is not allowed?

Not in the castle on a cloud.

25 points · 1 month ago

Crying all the way up there, I'm sure the tears will end up raining down in Africa :/

1 more reply

Hold up. I could see that being a skill only few possess, but a whole school?! How come the greatest wizarding school with the greatest wizard doesn't teach that?! Even if the explanation is that wandless magic is weaker, it would still be super useful for those who find themselves without their wands when they most need it.

I think because wandcrsft is seen as such an art in the European Wizarding community, you would be hard pressed convincing a European wizard that non wand magic is just as strong as magic which uses a conduit. They probably look down on it if I had to wager on the internal logic of the universe.

It seems that your answer is the most accurate. It's more of a cultural thing. The wizarding culture in Europe is very traditional. I mean, they really underestimate muggle culture, but they have nothing as useful as a cellphone or internet, and refuse to use it.

Source: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Uagadou_School_of_Magic

13 more replies

I think a major factor in all of this is that a lot of British wizards and witches are very hesitant towards change and can be very prejudiced against outsiders, even other magic users.

4 more replies

58 points · 1 month ago

Because JK Rowling loves retconning her own books in interviews and on Twitter. Yeah, it doesn't make any sense.

35 more replies

8 more replies

Is that a traditionally black magic college?

We use the term “historically black wizarding school or university”

5 more replies

465 points · 1 month ago

It was less than 2% black in the 90s, and today it's only 3%.

What percentage are wizards?

191 points · 1 month ago

The known percentage is 0.

Whatever, I smell a Ministry stooge on PR control.

Actually according to the most recent census, .8% or 390,000 people. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

More wizards then Jews actually.

17 points · 1 month ago

In England and Wales 390,127 people (almost 0.8%) stated their religion as Jedi on their 2001 Census forms, surpassing Sikhism, Judaism, and Buddhism, and making it the fourth largest reported religion in the country.

Wew lad.

3 more replies

3 more replies

9 more replies

49 more replies

Black people make up like 2% of the population in Britain.

9 more replies

2% black so a school of 400 should have 8

1 more reply

Is Britain considered diverse? It's still like 90% white, right? It's like 7% Asian and 3% Black.

You know watching BBC shows I would swear britian was 40% white 60% anything else ...

8 more replies

According to Wikipedia, black or black British are around 3% of the total population.

Presumably a large number of those people are descendants of victims of exploitative imperial practices. Said victims probably weren't wizards or witches themselves. So, the number of black wizarding families may be disproportionately low in UK compared to the number of old, white wizarding families.

11 more replies

213 points · 1 month ago

Well, it was also set in the 90s, when the population wasn't nearly as diverse.

Also Hogwarts and wizardry in general, seems to be more of an upper class affair, which is still mostly white.

Not so much upper class as that magic was inherited by mostly certain family lines. It was uncommon to pop up in muggle families, which might suggest they had a wizard ancestor.

Not really that surprising that Britain's local magicals were almost all white, especially considering how small the demographic would be. One school for all of England and Scotland seems like a very tiny percentage of the population.

66 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Someone figured out the math and hogwarts graduates about 40 wizards a year. Since that's the only wizard school the total wizard population in England is only a few thousand. But then it gets weird. If everyone has to go to school, and there's only one school, what's with the acceptance letters? It's sort of implied it's difficult to get into, and also implied everyone has to go?

Edit: Meant to type only wizard school in England.

74 points · 1 month ago

Not everyone has to go to school, wizards can choose to homeschool their children (revealed somewhere in the 7th book)

42 points · 1 month ago

I subscribe to the theory that more people graduated from Hogwarts each year, but we never found out about them because the books are written from Harry's perspective and he's completely oblivious.

But yes, having a larger wizard population makes sense because people in the wizarding world have a completely self sustained economy. Even the Weasleys don't know how to use muggle currency, so it implies that they get everything from magical vendors.

My own theory is that the population is larger than 1000 because wizards live much longer than humans. At least according to the author:

J.K. Rowling: Dumbledore is a hundred and fifty, and Professor McGonagall is a sprightly seventy. Wizards have a much longer life expectancy than Muggles. (Harry hasn't found out about that yet.)

So I'm thinking they don't need to graduate a lot more students to have a bigger population.

But also, since they can apparate and have other methods of fast travel, they don't need to be all clustered together like muggles in order to build up their economy.

Not to mention their economy isn't merely composed of humans. Goblins seem to be integrated into their society pretty well.

But don't forget that their wizard population isn't really self-sustained. They do interact with the muggle's economy even if it's not everyone that does it. There could be wizard race merchants that make their living buying and selling to muggle groups. It's not like muggles are entirely unaware of them, as the British PM seems to speak with them occasionally.

17 points · 1 month ago · edited 29 days ago

The wizarding community definitely has economic ties to the muggle world.

The books mentioned hermione's parents going to gringotts to exchange muggle money for wizard money.

And iirc pottermore's page on the malfoys (it was a long time ago so i cant be certain) say they mingle with muggle high society and dabbles in muggle stocks and such.

53 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I dont think they are forced to go. There are also a few other big schools.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (Scotland)

Beauxbatons Academy of Magic (France)

Castelobruxo (Central Brazil)

Durmstrang Institute (Northern Europe Altho I've heard Bulgaria)

Ilvermorny (Eastern North America)

Mahoutokoro School of Magic (Japan)

Uagadou School of Magic (Uganda)

Koldovstoretz (Russia) – Not on the map

But there is a possibility of small schools out home schooling. But Hogwarts is supposed to be the best out of all of them.

79 points · 1 month ago

But Hogwarts is supposed to be the best out of all of them.

All claimed by Hogwarts alumni.

Is that seriously the official name of the Japanese school? That's incredibly lazy.

12 points · 1 month ago

TBF, there are dozens of manga with titles just as lazy/blatant that is just some mixture of Mahou insert noun. Magical Teacher, Magical Girls, Magical Cat, Magical Butthole, you name it.

So really the name's pretty accurate.

I know. :/ "Magic Place" School of Magic. What a clever name...

29 points · 1 month ago

Durmstrang Institute (Northern Europe probably Bulgaria)

How is Bulgaria northern europe? If you said Belarus, I'd excuse you. As it's sharing borders with the baltic countries and Russia, but Bulgaria borders with Turkey and Greece.

He got confused because Viktor Krum is Bulgarian and attends Durmstrang.

3 more replies

2 more replies

Malfoy mentioned at one point that his father had considered sending him to durmstrang.

9 points · 1 month ago

There's more than one school, too; granted, the others were not as close.

11 more replies

71 points · 1 month ago

I'd agree with that, the larger population areas like London have always had larger non-White populations, but in my school growing up there was like 1 black kid, maybe 2 Asian.

17 more replies

Explain Ron's broke ass

76 points · 1 month ago

Have you ever tried to raise a family of seven kids and two adults on a government salary?

31 points · 1 month ago

Not to mention Arthur Weasley's penchant for essentially wasting money on muggle technology.

Seriously, the man could've been one of the highest paid employees in the Ministry and he'd still be piss poor because he throws his money away researching rubber ducks and trying to make cars fly in his garage.

1 more reply

Well, Ron is definitely upper class. He's a pure-blood. And not just any pure blood. His father is a Weasley, and his mother is a Prewett, who are from the "Sacred 28" Wizarding families, widely reknown for being the pure-bloodiest of the pure bloods.

Ron is broke because of his parents. Mrs Weasley insisted upon having a girl and didn't stop having children until she did, and Mr Weasley is willfully sticking himself in a dead end job just because he loves muggles so much when he has the options and opportunity to exploit his connections to be among the leaders of the Ministry. They are an anomaly among pure blood wizarding families, which is why Malfoy gives Ron a ton of grief about being poor.

At the very least, we know that Aunt Muriel, Mrs Weasley's aunt, is fucking loaded. Considering the way that rich families operate, especially in the Wizarding world, she's probably not the only rich person they're related to.

Socially upper class, maybe. Economically upper class? Not even close.

They're poor because they want to. They have the means to become rich, Mr Weasley is just happy in a dead end job and doesn't exploit his connections for his material gain.

They always felt to me a lot like the classic broke-landed-gentry trope common in British Literature. Land, estate, breeding, even connections, but no cash. Sorta like the Bennets.

17 points · 1 month ago

The Weasley's appear to be very prolific breeders. It wouldn't take many generations for the family wealth to be gone.

1 more reply

Remember that UK != London. While London might have like a 50% white population, the majority of the UK is white. In my school year of 180 there was one Arabian student and that was it.

25 more replies

It's not. 88% white in 2011. Remember that cities like London distort the view on the whole country, which consists of many smaller rural less diverse communities. It's like when living in New York you can think that there are many many less white in the US then in reality, not seeing the rest of the country out west.

46 more replies

35 points · 1 month ago(4 children)

4 more replies

21 more replies

88 more replies

Non-white gryffindors while Harry is at Hogwarts:

• Dean Thomas,

• Alicia Spinnet,

• Lee Jordan,

• Romilda Vane,

• Pavrati Patil,

• Angelina Johnson,

• and maybe Lavender Brown

(she was played by a black actress in one film, a white one in the others).

The amount of white students is kind of skewed by the Weasleys which. Besides the Weasleys there's

• Hermione Granger (also a borderline case I suppose but I'm going by movie canon),

• Harry Potter,

• Seamus Finnigan,

• Neville Longbottom,

• Cormac Mclaggen,

• Colin Creevey,

• Dennis Creevy,

• Katie Bell

• Demelza Robbins.

22 more replies

60 points · 1 month ago

Dean Thomas, Michael Corner, Blaise Zabini, Angelina Johnson, and Lee Jordan are all described as black in the book. I really don't get this joke.

5 more replies

Lee Jordan and Angelina Johnson were black too.

80 more replies

Surprised no one mentioned Lavender Brown yet

609 points · 1 month ago

wot

1.0k points · 1 month ago

Nothing out of the ordinary here. She just used a spell that let's you find a job easier and makes you more popular with old people.

Melanin Reducto

"Vitiligo transforma!"

Michealo Jacksonus!

4 more replies

31 points · 1 month ago

Tanis minimorus

4 more replies

I would assume it's because as they where making the movies, the books where coming out and they did not discribe lavander in detail untill half blood prince.

Did they even describe Lavender in the books before that point? Was she just a passing name?

4 more replies

137 points · 1 month ago

That was just an extra they called Lavender because they gave names to some background characters. She had no lines and was never named on screen.

Interesting that they gave names to the background characters. Does this happen often in movies? I thought they were usually just uncredited or called "class girl 1" or something.

It's just because the characters already existed in the books, and it would be weird to credit them as generic titles when we know there's only a few of each per year, per house.

1 more reply

I searched but couldn't find a good reason for it. Someone mentioned that the original actress moved to the U.S. Even if they had to replace her, they should have gotten another black actress.

Before anyone mentions Hermione being black in the stage version, here it's the same movie franchise with every other character being the same exact person. In switching characters, you should stick with someone as similar as possible to the original.

444 points · 1 month ago

I think it was something along the lines as she hadn't been described in book in detail until the whole Ron romance thing. So they replaced the actress because they now had an idea of what Lavender physically looked like. Mind you I have no idea if this is true or not.

263 points · 1 month ago

Even if that's the case I think it would make more sense for the movies to stay as consistent with themselves as possible. Not the books.

It doesn't make sense for a character to just switch races like that in the same canon and I'm sure it's not a big deal for this one character to not match the books in this one aspect for movie continuity sake.

275 points · 1 month ago

Wasn't she just a random extra in the previous movies? iirc, she had no lines, no one referred to her by name, and she was basically just filling in the space of Lavender Brown. If you watched the movies, you'd have no idea that the actress was replaced.

There's also the possibility that the reason for the switch was also due to wanting a different actress for a speaking roll as a secondary character compared to a background character, but that's just a guess.

28 more replies

128 points · 1 month ago

I'd argue it's also not that big a deal for this one character to switch races for book-to-screen accuracy. Considering how minor a role she had in the earlier movies and the fact that most people didn't even know she was in them, recasting her seems like a fine decision.

3 more replies

16 more replies

To be fair, I hardly noticed she even existed in the last movie.

29 more replies

18 more replies

If there's a Cho Chang (and assuming she is of Asian descent), there gotta be at least one black student at Hogwarts.
In the movies Dean Thomas is potraited by a black actor.

Angelina Johnston, Lee Jordan, Blaise Zabini and Dean Thomas are all black Hogwarts students isn both the books and the movies. Then there's also the Patil twins!

Kingsley too

233 points · 1 month ago

Kingsley Shacklebolt. The coolest goddamn name and character of all time. 80 grade name.

motherfucker became minister of magic too

63 points · 1 month ago

Token black teacher? Name: Shacklebolt.

Holy crap, I always associated it with like lightning bolt. You just fucked me up man.

He was never a teacher. He was introduced later as an Auror working for the ministry.

1 more reply

Wish Ben Kingsley didn’t wear an invisibility cloak the whole movie

43 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

It was kinda funny to discover the ethnicity of those characters when watching the movies. I was right at that age that I learned reading around the first book being published here in Germany which meant I was still pretty young when reading book four and not at all aware of naming conventions in English. And even when seeing the Patel twins and Choe Chang onscreen I first thought the actors were interesting casting choices. I eventually got it though.

36 points · 1 month ago

It’s not an outstandingly diverse cast, but I think it fits demographics well enough. This whole post is just ridiculous.

10 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Considering there's only 10 kids per house in Harry's year and 1 out of 5 of the boys is black, 1 out of 3 of the girls is Indian and they retconned Padma Patel into Gryffindor too so that's 2 out of 4 (because of the missing Gryffindor girls) it's reasonably diverse for the time. Plus Lee Jordan, Angelina Johnson, that kid who says the line about catching smoke with your bare hands, Cho (who is the main character's love interest at one point) Blaise Zabbini and Kingsley Shacklebolt.

4 more replies

10 more replies

Lee Jordan too.

0:26 ish (on mobile, can't get a link with timestamp)

16 more replies

9 points · 1 month ago

Lee Jordan is introduced as a black character with dreadlocks

10 more replies

He won’t be teaching the Dark Arts that’s for sure.

Defense against the dark arts

I thought the KKK hated everybody that's not white. Granted there are still few ethnic children. There are supposed to be schools around the globe though.

213 points · 1 month ago

And even then, you have to be the right kind of white

And also Protestant. And also not a Democrat post-1965.

56 points · 1 month ago

Also homosexuality iirc?

Well yeah but that's a given, pretty much every group descended from Abrahamic traditions has hated the gays until like the early 2000s

59 points · 1 month ago

I think it's waaay more than just Abrahamic traditions that are homophobic

39 points · 1 month ago

The ancient Greeks had a saying: “a man for conversation, a woman for children, and a boy for pleasure”

-James Gunn (2008, deleted)

-Michael Scott

19 more replies

I mean death eaters are basically the KKK of this universe so he’d just be a teacher for slytherin.

2 more replies

There's that one guy from Gryffindor

Magnitude!

POP POP!

3 more replies

Dean Thomas, Lee Jordan and the Patil twins would like a word.

5 more replies

18 points · 1 month ago

Y'all forgot Angelina Johnson as well. But I the the joke was that there are so few of them you wouldn't even know!

Cho Chang is Asian, the Patil twins are south-asian, Dean Thomas and Jordan Lee are black. Gotta go back and read those books man

34 more replies

208 more replies

Everything related to print comics (comic books, graphic novels, and strips) and web comics. Artists are encouraged to post their own work. News and media for adaptations based on comic books are welcome. Read [the subreddit wiki](http://goedhartvoordieren.nl/?page=r/comics/wiki/index) for more information about the subreddit.

r/comics Rules
No complaining
Don't attack artists posting their content.
No drama or trolling
Do not abuse the [OC] system
Rehosted/Hotlinked copy of web comic
Don't post edits to comics that you didn't make
Don't shitpost
Piracy
Punchline in the post title
Not relevant to the subreddit