Archived

My average weekday of a 9th Grader in USA [OC]

1.1k comments
Moderator of r/dataisbeautiful, speaking officiallyScore hidden · 9 months ago · Stickied comment

Thank you for your Original Content, /u/Bossball4! I've added your flair as gratitude. Here is some important information about this post:

I hope this sticky assists you in having an informed discussion in this thread, or inspires you to remix this data. For more information, please read this Wiki page.

4 more replies

11.4k points · 9 months agoGilded1

Maybe you should break down "other" a bit more. As it is i'm suspicious you masturbate for five hours a day.

5.1k points · 9 months ago

As it is i'm suspicious you masturbate for five hours a day.

Thinking back to when I was in 9th grade... that isn't unreasonable.

2.6k points · 9 months ago

thinking back to yesterday... still isn't unreasonable

On the internet, no one knows that you're in the 9th grade.

Until now.

I'm 82 today and it's still not unreasonable for me

That's just because it takes you longer than it used to. (Says the 69 year old.)

Is the first hour waiting for the pill to kick in?

3 more replies

To be fair it doesn't take long to get to 82 when every day you post is your birthday.

the gift of alzheimers

2 more replies

Falling asleep with your dick in your hand is not masturbating. :D Happy Birthday old timer!

Who let these young bloods on Reddit? Tomorrow's the big 120 for me

What's it like to be that old and still in 9th grade?

you know what they say. I keep getting older, but the girls stay the same age. alright alright alright

9 more replies

I was going to make a joke but then I remembered that I don't live in the US and have no idea what you're talking about.

But, your English is really good.

849 points · 9 months agoGilded1

Like I said, I don't live in the US.

Do you have free Burn and Trauma Centers where you live? A sick dis like that is going to get expensive for us.

4 more replies

77 points · 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

god damn someone call burn patrol

edit: actually don't the Americans can't afford it

Some can.

I mean, most of us could not, even with insurance. But don't worry about those rich people! Something something Bootstraps!

Holy shit xD

Hopefully that roast kills me because I can't afford a burn unit.

11 more replies

Currently mid fap.

Check out the branches on that chart!

He got that split dick.

nuh uh you capitalized the first letter in the sentence

Auto capitalization. Thanks reddit mobile app.

3 more replies

7 more replies

547 points · 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

And only 30 mins of procrastination? I call bullshit: there's atleast an hour of procrasturbation in there!

What kind of self-respecting 9th grader only procrastinates for 30 minutes!? Those are rookie numbers.

1 more reply

Other is for masturbation.

While he did procrastinate for 30 minutes, you can clearly see that in the end he acted responsibly and was able to masturbate for the full 5 hours.

1 more reply

Masturbation is a form of procrastination.

AKA Procrasturbation.

You're confusing masturbation with procrasturbation.

Procrasturbation is a gratifying excuse to postpone getting started on a task.

Masturbation is a blissful self-gratification that occurs when you have no other duties.

Libraries only exist in this day and age to sequester oneself in an environment where procrasturbation is very unlikely to occur.

Source: recent grad

Plenty of masturbating going on at libraries. Seen some shit myself (both public and school libararies) and have a friend who is a librarian (for whom telling creepy guys to stop masturbating at the computers should be written into his job description).

3 more replies

Procrastination is like masturbation. In the end you're only fucking yourself.

4 more replies

7 more replies

But that's not including the 2 hrs of masturbation at school

20 more replies

It's like a computer folder marked "Stuff"

New Folder

Contains 18 gb

Alternatively, Taxes 2013

unless you don't have any income or were 12 in 2013

1 more reply

I named a folder "recipes" and my mom asked to use my laptop. There were no recipes

You always make a new folder in the internet explorer folder, why would anyone look there?

2 more replies

They were recipes for chowder.
Or gravy...

Make a hidden folder.

1 more reply

This one hits a little closer to home

4 more replies

"Boner time"

If I remember 9th grade correctly, some 9th graders get laid "like all the time, man... With 2 chicks... and she said my dick hurt because it's huge AF... You guys wanna smell my fingers?"

Most of it is probably social media/ video games

6 more replies

I’m not even suspicious, I’m just impressed

It is destroy dick December you know.

You gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers.

Was going to say this too 🤔 op we demand answers.

Unless you’re a mormon, I don’t think strangers are supposed to talk to 9th graders about that kind of stuff.

Or a future Alabama Senator.

3 more replies

What do Mormons have to do with it? I know it’s a joke, but genuinely asking

1 more reply

Suspicious? I thought that was generally agreed to be the definition of other

66 more replies

Only 30 minutes of procrastinating... Well done

That number will go up as he grows old.

OTHER translates into jerking off

Maybe he's procrasturbating.

2 more replies

I was just wondering where he slipped in time for battin'.

For 295 minutes?

Aah, to be young again...

Well...not all at once....or maybe so.

Aaah adderall....

Reminds me of this Carrie Fisher gem.

10 more replies

5 more replies

I'm pretty sure as a university student I only have around 30 minutes a day that isn't procrastinating

Comment deleted9 months ago(2 children)

Other = structured procrastination

Procrastination - but in a lighter shade

1 more reply

The fact he/she also gets 8 hours of sleep a night is clearly not a real 9th grader.

1 more reply

If he has just started using reddit that number is sure to grow.

Yeaaaaa...I'm gonna go ahead and say that this was being shown to his parents before it was posted on the internet because I call bullshit. Probably combine other and procrastination into the same procrastination category.

Funny how procrastinating is not label al Other.

Bull to the shit

16 more replies

2.0k points · 9 months ago

20 minutes of transport would have been nice. I had like 50 minutes each way in high school. uphill both ways in the snow

No shoes.

Had to climb the mountain to get to the school.

And back up to get home.

across broken glass!

And then I finally got my SysAdmin Award

But I had to pick it up at the other side of the valley

Only to receive error 404, award not found.

through raging fires!

3 more replies

3 more replies

No shirt.

No service.

Had to wrap my feet in barbed wire to get traction.

1 more reply

What do you mean, shoes? I didn't have legs, I rolled uphill.

4 more replies

8 hours of sleep a day would be even nicer - who's even capable of that?

here I am with my 9 to 10 hours of sleep.

Damn sleepy kids... Get a job!

1 more reply

My quality of life improved dramatically when I started prioritizing getting 8 hours of sleep every night.

A fix sleep schedule helps immensely

2 more replies

Comment deleted9 months ago(6 children)

could drop me off in 10 min

Sounds like a 40 minute walk.

Comment deleted9 months ago(0 children)

1 more reply

How fast do you walk? My guess is they drove at least 60 kph, probably 80 kph. Meaning it was at least 10 km away.

A fast walking speed for an adult is 6 kph, so at least 1 1/2 hours.

Now a bike is another matter, you easily do 15-20 kph on that, making it a 30-40 min. drive, but then there is size of roads and safety etc.

“Back in my day”

25 more replies

1.5k points · 9 months ago

It's funny, I forget how time consuming high school was. You get to college and suddenly getting up at 7:30 is the worst thing in the world, but back in high school I was up at 6 and spent 7+ hours in classes.

Comment deleted9 months ago(30 children)

I miss highschool. I work and commute to college as a STEM major and I have no free time anymore. Can't wait till I can just work. Even if it is 8-12 hours. I'm no where near as bad as engineering students but bad enough lol

Engineering major here to confirm the suckitude of not having any free time. Lucky for me, I had no social life before college so I'm totally fine with it. Only thing I miss during semesters is having time for video games.

Engineering as a collegiate athlete next year. Getting "excited" woop.

4 more replies

13 more replies

I think it just depends on your major. I spent much less time in class each week in college (~12 hours) than in high school (~32 hours), and I think I also averaged less time each week on out-of-class homework/studying. Sure, there were large assignments in college like 8-10 page papers and the exams took a while to study for, but there was far less busywork for me in college, and taking 3 classes at a time instead of 6 made it so much more manageable.

5 more replies

4 more replies

You're in the sweet spot of free time that is college. Give it a few more years, it's not that unreasonable to see 9-10 hour days if you include commute times.

Plus no more spring break or summer vacation.

There's nothing to look forward to, you should stay in college as long as you can...

you should stay in college as long as you can...

College is expensive as hell.

But no one gives you loans to sit on your ass

You know you have to give that money back one day right?

nah, just get another credit card, it is basically free money!

1 more reply

But ain't no loans for sitting your ass at home!

Ain't no tuition for havin no ambition

1 more reply

Stay there forever till you die, then there's no need to pay it off

3 more replies

I personally would rather spent 8 hours at work making money than 8 hours in class/doing school work(depending on your major 8 hrs of school work is accurate)

Agreed. Engineering = shit loads of homework and reading.

It is a lot of work but honestly it's not as bad as people make it sound. You can still have a social life, but people act like engineers don't get time for friends.

None of the engineering majors at my college had free time, especially past freshman year. My floor was mostly all engineering majors, with a few aviation guys and me who switched from EE to accounting after having trouble with physics.

My roommate and I were super close friends but I barely saw him Junior year. Free time went to working on the senior design project.

54 points · 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

Graduated with BS and MS in Aerospace Engineering. I had a lot of free time except for during the final half of my BS senior year and my MS second year. Those times did suck terribly though.

My trick: Doing my homework in a timely fashion, studying a little everyday instead of cramming, and paying attention in class. Also, I found taking notes with a pen & paper helped a lot for getting rid of distractions. I think only my programming/CAD classes really needed a laptop.

I found many of my peers didn't do homework if it wasn't worth credit (do at least some of it) and just surfed facebook in class. They would later wonder how they did so poorly on a test.

EDIT: It probably depends a bit on school and how much course load you're giving yourself. But I'd say for the average Engineering student had a good bit of free time if they manage things correctly.

I think it depends on the school. There was enough work to keep the sophomore-senior engineering majors busy doing homework every night and weekends at mine.

I was the only business major working at the brand new 2000 seat theater on campus and I was also the only one working more than 5 hours a week there. The rest were engineering majors and most of them worked a shift once or twice a week, I worked at least three days a week and all evening/rental events too. My boss later admitted he hired me over the other 30+ applicants because of my open schedule, but said it worked out because I was one of the hardest workers and he had rental clients asking for me by name for events. Point being, workload was vastly different depending on your major at my school.

21 more replies

3 more replies

3 more replies

Also when you get home from work you don't have this dreaded sense that you should be studying or further doing your homework. I miss college, but there are reasons I didn't continue on to grad school. It's nice being able to buy good beer and eat good food.

6 more replies

At least after the 8 hrs or so of work, you are free to do what you want; no extra homework or study sessions.

At my first job, my supervisor had to explain to me that I could only work on projects during work hours. Blew my fucking mind at the time.

Haha yeah, exactly!

"you mean.... I'm not expected to be working on this on Saturday afternoon? Or until 4AM on a weekday? I just.... Leave?"

1 more reply

there’s nothing to look forward to

I mean the pay checks are nice.

Seriously, there's a ton more to look forward to.

I agree. It's weird how many post-school adults on reddit seem to be absolutely miserable.

There's a difficult transition to make from the school environment to the "real" world, whether that's high school or college. You start working, where you're reporting (usually) to a manager. You're conscious about your career's future, and things become competitive in an almost negative way.

The biggest change, though, is the social aspect. At school you're surrounded by a constantly changing set of peers who have at least a few things in common with you, but once you get out of the educational world... that doesn't really exist. You've got coworkers, who if you're lucky you might have a few that you vibe with. You've probably got those few friends that stick around after school, but that's really it. You have to create your own life as an adult, and to be frank, it doesn't come without a bit of effort.

It was a difficult year for me once I was totally on my own, in a new city where I only knew a few people. The upside is that most people are generally friendly, and if you get out there and try, you'll meet some cool people.

6 points · 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

I'm finding this out first hand right now. Daily life is so, so lonely. Forced socialization in school with a diverse (but at the same time, similar) group of people was amazing and I only realised that when I no longer had it.

6 more replies

Man, I miss college.

Looking back though, if I ever knew what working life would be like EXACTLY, I wouldn't have been so naive and happy. Ignorance is truly bliss

5 more replies

I graduate in 5 days and this just made me depressed

1 more reply

I spent 10 hours + 6 days or more a week. It vastly varies depending on what you do

I have plenty of friends who either like, or love, their jobs. Don't work more than 8 hours (in general, special exceptions always happen). Get a decent paycheck (has some savings for emergencies, maybe even a short vacation). Some even have a house/kids.

Without college, this life style would have been far harder to achieve.

t's not that unreasonable to see 9-10 hour days if you include commute times.

Normal for me is 9-10 hour days plus commute time.

4 points · 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

RemindMe! August 1, 2020 "Enjoy college while you can"

I went to college, worked full-time, and then went back to college. I'm in a program with people in similar situations. The general consensus is that working is much easier because you can go home after work and not worry about other things. In school, you go home and have to do assignments for hours. And generally there's less thinking involved in working, which makes it easier.

24 more replies

22 more replies

I'm in what would be the equivalent of 9th grade in America and I know from experience that 'OTHER' represents playing video games, masturbation, using the internet and going out with friends. As one of the four decreases the other three increase.

Dont lie. We all know its just 'batin.

I won't lie to you, it's a 'generous' ratio in that regard.

5 more replies

Sounds like adulthood.

I'm convinced adults are just teenagers with more responsibility and stress. Common sense and humility when growing up is optional

I don't know, I find my adulthood to involve less responsibility and a LOT less stress than I experienced through my teenage years.

Mind you, I had it a bit rough growing up. I sometimes feel like I'm getting the childhood now that I didn't get to have when I was young.

9 more replies

That’s what the kids are calling these days … “other”? In my day we just called it choking the purple headed yogurt slinger.

I've always preferred "purple headed pussy pleaser," since it has better alliteration.

"never let the truth get in the way of good alliteration" - Mark Hamill

"Never let the truth get in the way of good alliteration" - J. Jonah Jameson

5 more replies

1 more reply

Maybe you should get that looked at if its slinging yogurt. Mines a softserve dispenser

Additionally if it's purple

Nah. Thats normal

if it's purple you need to loosen your grip, bud

OC: 1130 points · 9 months ago

I enjoyed how the first edge of the graph shows 1440 day going into 1440 minutes.

Also good on you for getting a square 8 hours of sleep! I don't think I ever got that much in high school.

Currently averaging 3-5

We don't need no sleep.

No the song goes "we don't need no education"

I know you're all joking but lack of sleep can cause serious health issues. Please take sleep seriously. It might not be your top priority every day but it should be a priority.

4 more replies

1 more reply

I’m calling bs. There is no way you procrastinate for only 30 mins a day... I mean how long did it take you to make this graphs while you should have been doing your homework?

I mean not a lot of 9th graders would take the time to make something like this. Let alone document there entire day. He might have strict parents, has extreme motivation, or just didn’t give a fuck about keeping track of procrastination.

OC: 1Original Poster198 points · 9 months ago

Sourced from myself. Made using http://sankeymatic.com/

Good job my dude, keep it up!

Not for 295 minutes he can't.

Can he?

9th grade? I'm certain he frequently tries.

39 points · 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

No homework? In nineth grade, I would typically spend an hour per day on homework, and occasionally more, up to 3 or 4 hours sometimes

Edit: I should clarify I went to school in the US

What country?

As a Brit, we'd often moan about getting a few hours of homework over the weekend.

OC: 1Original Poster9 points · 9 months ago

I get all my home done at school during said class using work time or right after school.

I miss the days when that was physically possible. I mean, I never did finish it in class, but that's not the point

14 more replies

Sorry, I don't think the source is reliable. I feel you are letting the bias of your private routine to contaminate the data.

3 more replies

Am I the only person who is not a fan of this style of visualization? I see these a lot now and I don't see how it's clearer than setting up each branch as a bar.

Part of the problem is that it's popular lately and is being applied where it doesn't really belong. Sankey diagrams are intended for flow analysis, particularly when you have reunification and not just branching. It often represents a conserved quantity. This representation is actually taking advantage of the capabilities of the diagram and it would be harder to capture much of the detail in a bar chart.

Yeah, I definitely see how it helps when there's branching and unification into different groupings. Thanks.

I honestly find that a bar chart would have done this much better. They just don't line up visually on these graphs.

I think the chart type is fine to show breakdowns.

The issue I see in this case is that they don't go until the end, so you can't just see the parts all lined up on the right side.

There's no reason why "sleep" should not follow through and be on the most right side.

Also, when I first learned about this diagram, I read "Snakey" instead of "Sankey", which made a lot of sense, as the lines look a little like snakes.

pie chart would be nice

1 more reply

What is the tool everyone is using to make these charts? I would like to do the same for our household income and expenses...

1 more reply

I don't miss those years. I had no free time. 7 hours of school per day, 2 hours of marching band practice per day, 6 hours of marching band on Fridays (practice + football game + debrief afterwards), competition on Saturday (all day), work at the grocery store on Sunday. When it's not marching season, replace all the marching band stuff with work. I'm 31 years old with a full-time job and a kid, and I have more free time now than I did back then.

4 more replies

I'm marrying an American and I live in the States but I still can't get over the fact that high school kids do like 7 or 8 classes in a semester. We did four. Four classes.

It's okay, because you can't learn much in 50 min class.

3 points · 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

My high school had 7 classes, but on a rotating AB day schedule, so only 3-4 classes a day at roughly 1.5 hours each

3 more replies

37 points · 9 months ago · edited 9 months ago

The classes I had here in Germany in grade 12 (age 18) were:

• German

• English

• Math

• Sports

• Chemistry

• Physics

• Social Economy

• Philosophy

• History

• Art

• Informatics

There are differences between the states but in my case you always had to have the first 4, could choose between Philosphy or Religion and Art or Music, could have another or even two addtional languages or like in my case a focus on the sciences (alternatively could have had biology or geography which I only had earlier on). Number of lessons (45min each) varried between 2 and 5/week depending on the course and if you choose it as a focus and would have it in the finals and the total number of lessons added up to a total of around 35 or so, don't remember exactly.

And in year 8-10 there are even more classes, though you have more classes for only 2x45mins per week instead of 4x45. But you write a test in each class, so more tests.

10 more replies

My high school changed how many classes were in a day every 2-3 years. 4/day was best for the students, but harder to fit everyone into the classes they needed. 7 was too many IMO but the school liked it for the middle schoolers bc they got each core class for the whole year, rather than 2 trimesters. I hated it, bc it was more homework to do.

20 more replies

It's worse in rural areas. You end up only having 3 hours a day to eat dinner, do homework, study, then it's back to sleep to repeat hell until you leave town for a city/state university.

1 more reply

8 hours of sleep? I guess you showed your parents this chart.

I'll help you break down OTHER

First we'll borrow 120 minutes from sleep, because let's be real, you're watching adult swim.

TV - 150

I know what all the kids are doing these days too

Minecraft - 30
Overwatch - 120

Can't forget

Lookin in the fridge - 15

Since you're on reddit it's easy to assume you never put any time into your hygiene routine but I'll be nice

Personal Hygiene - 20

And we're going to assume you follow 5 animes on a weekly basis so we'll average that out

Crunchyroll - 20

That leaves you with a solid hour for

Masturbation - 60

Go ahead and fix that, and you'll get your A for this assignment.

the fuck are you doing

Satan's work.

Only 1 hour for masturbation? You're nutts, let the kid enjoy.

OC: 224 points · 9 months ago

Lookin in the fridge - 15

This one hit me hard

OC: 1Original Poster12 points · 9 months ago

My computer can't run Overwatch let alone play it. The rest, nice.

The last one should be

Other - 60

4 more replies

Oh, those were the days. Enjoy that 5 hours of freedom you get a day. At 37 and with 3 kids, my free time is limited to the amount the porcelain throne provides.

And my wife thinks I have stomach issues because I hang out in there so much.

2 more replies

I second that. 29 with 1 kid and taking care of an autistic brother mostly by myself. Bathroom time is best time.

My 2 year old stands there in the bathroom with me...

"Daddy poops!

need paper?

need paper?

need paper?

need paper?

need paper?"

OK FUCK I WILL WIPE MY ASS NOW JESUS

I can only assume you named your kid "Jesús"

Actually her name is FUCK

5 more replies

You're classes are only 50 minutes each? Damn I wish my highschool was like that... we had 4 classes a day for 90 min each except for the last class which was 85 min. If I had 50 min classes I think I probably would've been able to focus better, cause the last 20-30 min of class would really start to drag on for me.

That, my friend, is called block scheduling. It’s what they do in my high school, too. However, one good thing about it is you get two days to do your homework.

2 more replies

I would love to see of the 350 min of school. A break down of each 50 min class of how much you are actualy learning. Not waiting for "Johny" to turn in his homework or whatever.

As a non-US citizen, I'm struggling to cope with the fact that people in America learn as much History and Spanish as they do of English and Maths.

Where I am, we require at least one math and English each year but only require two foreign language credits and three history

17 more replies

Is there an app or program that keeps making all these easy-to-read designs? I keep seeing similar breakdowns on this sub.

OC: 495 points · 9 months ago

424 more replies

A place for visual representations of data: Graphs, charts, maps, etc. DataIsBeautiful is for visualizations that effectively convey information. **Aesthetics are an important part of information visualization, but pretty pictures are not the aim of this subreddit.**

Best Of DataIsBeautiful
Posting Rules
  1. A post must be a data visualization.

2. Directly link to the original source article of the visualization (not an image file) or tag the post as [OC] if you made the visualization.

3. [OC] posts must state the data source and tool(s) used in a comment. Only tag a post as [OC] if you made it yourself

4. Requests and questions must include a visualization. More info.

5. No infographics or other unautomated diagrams. Infographic vs. Visualization.

6. Compilations are not allowed.

7. Post titles must describe the data plainly without using sensationalized headlines. Clickbait posts will be removed.

8. Posts regarding American Politics, or contentious topics in American media, are only permissible on Thursdays (ET).

Please read through our posting guidelines if you are new to posting on DataIsBeautiful.

Commenting Rules
  • Comments should be constructive and related to the visual presented. Special attention is given to root-level comments.
  • Short comments and low effort replies are automatically removed.
  • Hate Speech and dogwhistling are not tolerated and will result in an immediate ban.
  • Personal attacks and rabble-rousing will be removed.
  • Moderators reserve discretion when issuing bans for inappropriate comments.
User Flair

Do you like contributing sharp-looking graphs? Are you an official practitioner or researcher? Read about what kind of flair is right for you!