Reddit Feeds

Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Posted byOC: 73 months agoGilded1

Optimal routes from the geographic center of the U.S. to all counties [OC]

OC
1.8k comments
Flair BotModerator of r/dataisbeautiful, speaking officiallyScore hidden·3 months ago·Stickied comment

Thank you for your Original Content, u/Tjukanov! I've added your flair as gratitude. Here is some important information about this post:

I hope this sticky assists you in having an informed discussion in this thread, or inspires you to remix this data. For more information, please read this Wiki page.

21 more replies

Is it possible to generate one of these from any other point in the map as well?

A cool meta-post would be to repeat for every point on the map and only draw some kind of heat map for how often each point appears with each iteration.

1.3k points·3 months ago

You'd need to do a little over 9 million route calculations. So it's do-able - just might take a while to produce. (And if you're using Google Maps you might run into API limits.)

If a mere 3k of us send OP a Google Maps API key, he might just be able to do it within a day.

360 points·3 months ago

everyone just do it from their hometown or something and have a list.

That might actually be a good idea because with a big enough sample, it would effectively be weighted by population

At best, we could only say that it could approach a weighted representation of this subreddit. We do not have the data to make any further claims.

Only at the time of seeing this post, and of those, only the ones that are able to contribute too ;)

i know i cant

3 more replies

Great point, it'd be interesting to see the disparity between weighted and unweighted.

Weighted I imagine would end up looking somewhat similar to standard population density map though

"Alexa, please create a map like these guys want and post it so I can get more karma."

"Sorry, I don't know that one."

"Alexa, order me a google home thing so I can ask their guy to do it."

1 more reply

I feel the difference between that and a standard population density map would be a valuable indicator of underserved/overserved transportation areas and opportunities for residential/business development.

Just feel it.

2 more replies

Depends, Chicago and Atlanta would be huge while cities few people travel through like Boston, Miami, Seattle and LA would be smaller than in the population density map.

6 more replies

7 more replies

10 more replies

Speaking from the experience of having run a tracking algorithm from 2 million data points, you're probably looking at 23 hours of 100% CPU usage.

Thank God for the insane amount of threads on Ryzen, right?

Thank God Matlab has really good worker threads. Else the computation on my wheezing laptop would've taken a whole lot longer.

If you care about computation time, it's easier to get beefy instance in cloud for few hours. Eg. AWS EC2 c4.8xlarge costs $1.5/h but outclasses any laptop.

12 more replies

2 more replies

Let's be honest - anyone who's done this kind of work doesn't have a problem with the 9 million routes.

It's when you get the first one and you realize you made some stupid mistake so you have to run it again...

Or when you realize you just made a highway map of the US

5 more replies

Comment deleted3 months ago(4 children)

4 more replies

17 more replies

Assuming the shortest route from A->B is the same shortest route from B->A (essentially ignoring one way streets, which should in most cases be possible since they should be a very small percentage of the total trip) you can actually cut this number down a lot.

There are 3007 counties

For county 1 you have to calculate 3006 routes For county 2 you have to calculate 3005 routes, you already know 2->1 For county 3 you have to calculate 3004 routes, you know 3->1 and 3->2

so the total is 3006+3005+3004...

That can be generalized to (n2 + n)/2 = (30062 + 3006)/2 = (9036036 + 3006)/2 = 9039042/2 = 4,519,521 routes to calculate

Viz Practitioner12 points·3 months ago

You can do better. When you're calculating the shortest path from C->B, if you encounter A you don't need to go further because you already know the shortest path from A->B.

If you really want to get into the math, here's a starting point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betweenness_centrality#Algorithms

4 more replies

12 more replies

3 more replies

1.3k points·3 months ago(63 children)

A Jedi's point isn't on the map, it is the map.

OC: 1136 points·3 months ago

Not yet.

It’s getting lost,then.

Star Wars VIII: The Lost Jedi

We follow Luke on his journey back to the Rebels, but he gets lost along the way. The stubbornness of the Jedi refuses to let him ask for directions at the corner fueling stations. Hijinks ensue.

“Ohhh nice can he get a parking ticket too?” -Rian Johnson

3 more replies

And not just the highways, but the alleys and pathways too

1 more reply

A Jedi is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Thank you for this amazing quote from “R2-B2” of the Star Track series. I will make it a permanent post on my Facebook feed. May you find and destroy all 7 horsecocks, young Skywater.

Horsecocks? Neigh the Force be with you!

1 more reply

Wasn't this in the second prequel of battlestar gattaca?

9 more replies

5 more replies

It's not a story a cartographer would tell you.

3 more replies

From my point of view the jedi are evil!

Well, then you are lost!

That's why he needed this map!

Execute Route 66.

username doesn't check out?

Only Sith deal in absolutes.

4 more replies

MrJedi1 my allegiance is to the map, to CARTOGRAPHY!

8 more replies

You know, like a place people would actually want to go.

1 more reply

Yes and yes to u/WorseAstronomer as well. I have done this literally thousands of times using ArcMap and the network analysis extension and using the US National Roads dataset(highly detailed and free. This is the easy but kinda slow way.

The free and harder but faster way is to use open source like postgis.

There really isn’t much to it. You just run the routing tools. The biggest challenge comes from the size of the network dataset and managing the output it generates. Just a lot of resources needed...

109 more replies

1.6k points·3 months ago·edited 3 months ago

Interesting that a vein flows past Detroit through Michigan and into Canada (Ontario, then Quebec) to cross back into the US to 'touch' some of the Northeastern US counties.

EDIT: Some of you have pointed out that the main 'connector' is north of Detroit in Port Huron, Michigan.

As someone from Toronto, I can't imagine how driving through Toronto could ever be the optimal route for getting anywhere.

As a Detroiter who has visited Toronto multiple times, I can assure you that driving through Toronto is still significantly faster than driving through Lake Erie.

Good laugh, thanks!

I can vouch for it.

2 more replies

This sounds like the kind of quote that would end up in a Coffee Talk pamphlet but it would be about Canadian and American naval Captains, and there would be a whole backstory with one of them being a humble country boy, and the other an ivory-league intellectual who shouts a lot.

I think you mean Ivy league

Shh let him keep thinking that, it’s cute.

Not with the recent crackdown on elephant hunting.

4 more replies

"I'm a lighthouse. Your call."

6 more replies

Getting to western Maine is a total pain in the ass from inside the US. Its much faster to drive longer around the white/green mountains of VT and NH. Instead you take I-90 through Massachusetts, then I-495/95 up the coast of Maine until you decide you want to see more logging trucks than lobster traps. At that point you are on smaller back roads for about 3 hours. So going through Canada is definitely appealing.

2 more replies

As someone from Michigan.

Beats the Ohio toll trolls. We go through Canada annually to get to the eastern U.S.

7 more replies

24 points·3 months ago

If calculation is based on miles rather than time... then it makes sense.

Us Michiganders will do anything to avoid the shithole that is Ohio.

12 more replies

I've called northern NY or New England home since the late 80s, and can vouch for the accuracy of that routing. The eastern Great Lakes are a significant navigational barrier...

As a WNY native that now lives in MI, I agree. Buffalo/Rochester to Detroit is fastest through Canada, even with the border crossings.

12 more replies

Detroit is the only major city in the US where you can drive due south and wind up in canada.

That's not relevant to this post, but it's a fun fact.

BORN AND RAISED IN SOUTH DETROIT!!!

Which is technically called downriver.

Confirmed, am river rat.

took the midnight train south to ca-na-da

2 more replies

Comment deleted3 months ago(7 children)
31 points·3 months ago

Into my hometown of Sarnia, ON! If you're ever crossing through, make sure and stop by for the... uhh...

Nevermind, just keep going.

5 more replies

Waiting for someone to mention it.

For anyone curious, Detroit is further south, and fun fact--you have to head south to enter Canada from Detroit.

Somewhat ironic because Canadians cut through the US when traveling across the country often

So much easier to go under the Great Lakes through Michigan than over them.

59 more replies

wow, you're the real MVP

I love maps, any chance of a high res version?

4 more replies

OC: 7Original Poster634 points·3 months ago

Data: © OpenStreetMap contributors via Graphhopper routing API.

Tools: Python, PostGIS, QGIS with Time Manager plugin, GIMP.

Animated version and more info about me can be found from my website here. Tutorial can be found here and my Twitter can be found here

Is the center point in north Kansas or south Nebraska? This map is beautiful, really helps to humanize our country when you can see it's veins.

North Kansas, specifically Lebanon, Kansas. Check out its Wiki page.

I love how many places in the US borrow names from completely foreign countries. It's like there's too many little towns and they ran out of names.

I'm from Missouri, which also has a Lebanon. I grew up thinking it was pronounced "Leh-bin-in". Similarly, because of Versailles, MO, I thought the city in France was pronounced "Vehr-say-ls" until high school.

In downstate Illinois there’s a Cairo, pronounced “Kay-Ro”

All of these places are mentioned in Neil Gaiman's American Gods. It's a good book.

If you have any interest in Norse Mythology, Gaiman wrote a retelling of the most common Norse legends. I've already heard them through the Myths and Legends podcast, but Gaiman's love of it pours through the pages. I highly recommend it, if you're in to that.

7 more replies

I came here expecting an American God's reference, not disappointed.

8 more replies

We also have a Marseilles (mar-sales), Bourbonnais (Burr-bone-us), and Des Planes (des-planes, lol). But if you go to Iowa you get Des Moines (duh-moy-nuh).

Im surprised we don't call our own state, Illinois (ill-uh-noise).

21 more replies

6 points·3 months ago

Nebraska too.

4 more replies

26 more replies

There’s an area between Ohio and Indiana where all the names are French, butthe towns are rural and no one speaks French, or anything close to French. So they pronounce everything weird.

I took French in high school. I do not speak French at all. But I recognize pronunciation. I was once in the area and literally could not communicate with the locals about directions because they kept referring to all these roads and towns that weren’t on my map.

area between Ohio and Indiana

So, the state border?

Kidding, but as a former Hoosier I can relate, though I'm not really familiar with the east side of the state. I always appreciated all the foreign towns in Indiana. Mexico, Peru, Brazil, to name a few. Or the fact that we have a Michigan City.

Living in Colorado now, I hear all sorts of bastardized Spanish names, but my favorite is probably that we have a Louisville - pronounced English phonetically, unlike the Kentucky/French way.

9 more replies

We've got a Palestine in Texas. It's pronounced "palace-teen".

Palace-teen for the Palace-teenians.

4 more replies

I got laughed at in college for saying "Monti-sell-o" because that's how we pronounced the town Monticello, Indiana.

5 more replies

I live near Versailles, IN. They pronounce it Ver-sails.

31 more replies

• New Paris

• Paris

• Rome

• Vienna

• Warsaw

• Mecca

You'd think with all those town and city names Indiana residents would be more worldly and inclusive - but nope.

Michigan has Hell so who's the real winner here???

17 more replies

My favorite is Mexico, Brazil, and Peru Indiana. For Mexico there's a giant arrow that says Mexico 1/2 mile

I used to drive past a place in the middle of Ohio called Cuba. Any time I drove on the road that had an arrow that said Cuba 5 miles that way I would turn to my girlfriend and say “boy I hope my car knows how to swim!!” I’ve done it 20+ times now and get an eye roll every time.

But people from Brazil, IN pronounce it Bray-zill.

1 more reply

By a fountain back in Rome I fell in love with you

In a small cafe in Athens you said you loved me too

And it was April in Paris when I first held you close to me

Rome, Georgia, Athens, Texas and Paris, Tennessee

1 more reply

Its because America is a country of immigrants settled from all over the world who established towns and named them something from their home country interspersed with Native American names of many states and cities throughout the midwest.

21 more replies

They have a neat, modest shrine to their claim to fame. I made the drive one day after school (mid-90's) but I lived just an hour from there it wasn't much of a trip.

If anyone decides to make the trip, I strongly advise to follow the speed limits. These tiny towns in Kansas are heavily funded through traffic tickets so each one is set up to be a speed trap and they will nail you for whatever they can.

I once got nailed for speeding just outside a small town in western Kansas. The country was flat as a pool table, the road straight as an arrow. I'd just been passed by a big pickup going like a bat out of hell, it appeared to be chockfull of a family headed into town on a Friday night. The law let them go and nailed me instead, I assume because I was an outsider.

6 points·3 months ago

You can't give the family you go to church with a ticket. Makes that hour extra uncomfortable.

24 more replies

9 more replies

I don't know what the computational requirement would be. But it would be really awesome to have an app like this, but the center point is always your current location.

OC: 7Original Poster14 points·3 months ago

Hmm... it would require quite a lot of pre-processing for the data. Would be cool, but not sure if it would be worth the trouble?

7 more replies

1 more reply

The fact that there are no state lines is r/mildlyannoying to me, but I bet it looks cleaner without state lines than with them. Beautiful nonetheless!

43 more replies

1.7k points·3 months ago·edited 3 months ago

It'd be cool see the optimal road map for getting to every major city, if we were to rebuild the entire US interstate system.

edit: For all those people who keep saying the same thing. I mean if we were to rebuild all the roads. OR, instead of rebuilding the roads, maybe it'd be more realistic to map the most efficient map for Elon's Hyperloop to reach all the major cities in US. Lets say any city that in the greater metropolitan area has over 500k people.

1.3k points·3 months ago

If someone wants to put in the work, I’d upvote that

Everyone doing their fair share.

3 more replies

That’s very kind of you!

8 more replies

there is no optimal way to get into Boston...

The most optimal way to get into boston is go there once, and never leave. Then walk everyewhere you need to go.

did that for about 5 years, but then rent just got to expensive... so i had to leave

The mistake is that you didn't make a shit load more money while there.

Schoolboy error.

3 more replies

I sacrificed a goat before I got on masspike once worked like a charm all the way to Newton...

1 more reply

Sure there is. Helicopter.

2 more replies

Well in my travels, it seems that the interstate system sacrifices more direct routes to hit some of the bigger towns. It's pretty efficient as is. Like I-20 and Abilene, Tx. Then I-20 goes and meets I-10 at some awkward spot in BFE I'm sure to save cost.

Comment deleted3 months ago(37 children)

I drove across the US twice taking Route 66. It was very clear when i40 and other interstates were built the towns they didn't go through dwindled.

From the old buildings you could tell these Main St's were once busy and the artery of the town. Then the interstate is built and no one needs to drive through or stop at these podunk towns. It was really interesting and sad to see.

As noted in the classic documentary "Cars"

E: dammit I thought I was being original

You beat them to it by 2 minutes.

Well, you were the only one to say it in a way that is clear to someone who’s never seen Cars, without forcing them to follow a link.

So you’ve got that going for you.

They made a fascinating documentary about it. Highly recommend.

As it was loading: Please be Cars.

It's funny, because I've never seen Cars, but when I traveled Route 66 a few years ago I noticed that there was a lot of memorabilia related to that movie in stores and restaurants along the road. Now I know why.

Yea the locals really seemed to like the movie as I felt it was a very accurate portrayal.

Saw quite a few eyes painted or put behind the windshields of historic cars.

1 more reply

Who would think a children's movie could actually transmit a very important message about how a minor change in the road sistem changes people's lives.

Have you seen wall-e?

I completely missed the embedded road-system message in Wall-e.

11 more replies

That's what happened in my area (Central New York). The village I live in used to be bigger than the neighboring city during the railroad days. Once I-81 got built my town shrunk a bit, another one nearby used to have a University and had one of the first black professors. It is now a tiny village with some farms. The city is much bigger than the neighboring towns all due to the interstate weaving through the hills.

4 more replies

No doubt that’s true, but upgrades from small highways to interstates also kill small towns as well. Without the required slowing/stopping, the whole town dries up of business.

The nearest access point to I-85 from my city touched on the other edge of a small town. The intersection with the interstate built up into a major shopping area and had to become it's own separate micro town, but the old historic downtown area is now the residential area.

Really depends on which direction the interstate hits the town.

4 more replies

The midwest states are probably pretty efficient since theres so much land. I imagine the east and west coast could use some adjustments.

The west does have gigantic mountains and canyons in the way for a lot of routes though.

1 more reply

I live in Indiana and the one thing I always appreciated was how efficient the interstates seemed to be - which is appropriate for a state that is the so-called "crossroads of america" - You take I-65, 69, 74, and 70, and is bisects the states into pie-like slices centered on Indianapolis which is dang near the geographic center of the state. It makes for easy and logical navigation knowing you have those main, almost equally space arteries that'll take you to a hub.

9 more replies

6 more replies

I think they tested this with bacteria samples and the current interstate matches that really well.

They’ve done both....growing slime mold is pretty easy.

So... straight lines?

3 more replies

Optimal when disregarding terrain? Because aside from obvious things like mountains and lakes, there are a lot of other geographical factors on pathways

11 more replies

43 more replies

From Texas and by the looks of this, it’s saying to go down I 35 for most of traveling north to south. 35 ain’t optimized for shit. They’ve been “optimizing” it for the last 10 years.

"One day you'll love this road"

The day I no longer have to take it.

Due to stockholm syndrome, maybe.

I’ve always thought that 10 years ago some company pitched “here’s how we’ll fix everything” with words like “sweeping overpasses” and everyone signed off on the terrible idea that is the highway system in Fort Worth and everyone has been paying for it ever since. It’s impossible the get around that city without GPS if you’re not from there and going any further than downtown to the Zoo.

Definitely longer than 10 years, but I always love visiting the Dalls Ft. Worth area.

Me: "I need to go to that starbucks 100 feet way across that street."

GoogleMaps: "Your destination is 6 miles away. You will arrive in 15 minutes."

It’s wonderful on a bicycle honestly. I had no problems around the stockyards or downtown. Now getting from the stockyards to downtown was terrifying.

1 more reply

I live off of I-35 in Kansas. It is always under construction here. It’s always the worst and I always think it can’t be worse, but then I drive to Austin and I realize it’s something we all struggle through. The whole highway is a mess.

1 more reply

82 points·3 months ago(3 children)

3 more replies

"Another accident outside Temple? May as well pull off at Buc-ee's and wait for it to blow over." - Me, about once a month

4 more replies

35 turns to garbage the moment you cross the border from Kansas into Oklahoma.

7 more replies

It really is a nightmare. I dread every minute of I-35 travel.

7 more replies

How is this optimized? Is it by distance or are traffic conditions/speed limits accounted for?

There's no way it by simple distance

If it was pure distance you wouldn't see every nearby county sharing trunk routes and branching at the last minute. There's almost always a unique shorter path through slower local roads.

65 points·3 months ago

You're right, if would be going through dirt roads and tiny residential streets. I'm guessing they factored speed limits in and probably gave highways preferance because you don't have to stop.

and probably gave highways preferance because you don't have to stop.

laughs in Californian

2 more replies

That's not true, especially at this scale.

If you're traveling thousands of miles from the center of the US to, say, two neighboring counties in Maine, you don't think the path will look like it would branch at the last minute?

You think there's a shortest path to one county that's vastly different to the shortest path to a neighboring county? That of course does happen, but it produces exactly this type of graph. Look at Florida. There's one major path going down the center of the state, but there's also a path that leads to the panhandle in the north west of the state. These two paths start off in completely different directions from the center of the country (one headed east, the other south), but the tendrils at the end get very close, serving neighboring counties.

You can also see the affect in southern California and western Texas. The small end paths of different major trunks coming close together after spending hundreds or thousands of miles apart.

6 more replies

I was wondering this too, especially if distance accounts for changes in elevation .

7 more replies

I propose a race. A Cannonball run type of event where drivers start on both coasts, and race toward the geographical center. I haven't figured out the finish line details yet...

You could have a finish line like this post from the front page https://i.imgur.com/QA7QzfR.gifv

I bet he was playing We Are the Champions in his cab.

2 more replies

Let's call it steel ball run.

6 more replies

If you add in Alaska and Hawaii, the Center of the United States is moved to my home town of Belle Fourche, SD.

“In 1959, the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey officially designated a point 20 miles north of Belle Fourche as the geographic center of the United States. It is the center of the nation because the admission of Alaska and Hawaii to the United States moved the location of the official center of the nation. The geographic center of the 48 contiguous U.S. states is Lebanon, Kansas.”

Thank you for posting this, as someone from Alaska I was feeling very left out of this geographic center. Maybe Continental center, but Alaska and Hawaii are apart of the geographic USA as well.

6 points·3 months ago·edited 3 months ago

Not even continental center, that would include Alaska, this is a contiguous center. The continental center would likely be in Alberta, CA.

However, to be fair, if you take OP's link to their website, it does say "geographical center of the contiguous United States".

2 more replies

This is beautiful. I love how it looks like veins on a leaf, a waterway map or a nervous system. Isn’t it interesting how patterns repeat from small to large scale?

"nature only has a handful of tricks!" - my friend, once

8 more replies

OC: 122 points·3 months ago

Can you overlay a county map? This would be great for me because one of my hobbies is trying to visit every county.

5 more replies

What about the parishes?? Jk, I like this presentation style. It's not something I've seen in here before, nice work!

How do you think Alaska feels? They don't have counties AND they're not even on the map.

Indeed shouldn't there be a empty area for Louisiana. XD

1 more reply

Yeah I'm confused by this word "county" as well.

3 more replies

What's the closest settlement to the geographic center?

That should be a tourist attraction.

According to Wikipedia, it's Lebanon Kansas. Also note there is a concrete marker and flag, so that's pretty exciting.

There's absolutely no tourist appeal in Lebanon, Kansas

There's probably more tourist appeal in the country Lebanon.

12 more replies

1 more reply

There is! Fun fact the actual geographical center is in the middle of a pigs pen and the farmer refused to sell his land. So the attraction center is about a mile away from it.

Source: I live about 30 miles from it

Does the farmer advertise his pig pen as the real center with a janky wooden sign?

I too have read American Gods

2 more replies

Just took my girlfriend there a couple months ago. Just a short drive from the worlds biggest ball of twine. Wow! North Central Kansas just has tons to offer, doesn’t it.

10 more replies

You would think, but according to American Gods, it is a place to be avoided at all costs.

4 more replies

Ok, next time I'm in the geographical center of the United States, and need to travel to a specific county by car, I'll pull up this map.

1 more reply

I hate to poke at flaws, but Ohio has 88 counties and it does not look like there are even close to that many.

That's because the map shows a grid, not county lines.

If a path travels through a county to get to another, the endpoint would be mid-line and you wouldn't necessarily see an endpoint.

If you overlayed this map on a county map of Ohio, do you think there'd be a county that didn't contain a path?

2 more replies

You have to really, really zoom in. I was about to say the same for parts of North Carolina and Virginia.

7 more replies

If you used Washington DC as the center point, how does it turn out? I feel like that would have more meaning behind it.

69 points·3 months ago·edited 3 months ago

This or a series with major cities like New York, Boston, DC, Chicago, Miami, Austin and/or Dallas, Kansas City, Nashville, Chicago, Denver, LA, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, or whatnot in a 4x4 high res that could be zoomed into. I'm obsessed with maps and would love to see something like that.

Edit: I have no explanation for my Chicago love (hate?). I haven't even been Chicago but I think it became a filler for middle country cities. I'm a coastal dweller. My bad!

You said Chicago thrice

43 points·3 months ago

He clearly meant Chicago, Illinois; Chicago, Kansas; and Chicago, Zimbabwe.

that person is REALLLLLLY interested in how to get the F out of Chicago.

6 more replies

7 more replies

It's neat that this isn't laid over a map of the US, but I can see the state borders in my head when I look at this.

Interesting that the best route to Maine appears to be through Canada. I guess that would be somewhat obvious to anyone who's familiar with driving through other countries to get somewhere, given that it IS the shortest straight-line distance. Still interesting that you can drive from one country into another, then exit the second country and re-enter the first, all while travelling in a straight line.

7 more replies

I've been to the geographic center of the 48 states. There's not much there except a small park and a sign. It's really the only place in Kansas that's in the middle of somewhere.

2 more replies

omg, everyone talking about technical data and calculations and all I want to know is the exact location of the point where all the roads meet.

1 more reply

Interesting how much it looks like veins, or roots, or rivers, or any other naturally evolved distribution system. This pattern is a fundamental feature of the universe.

2 more replies

Is this easy to do? It would be cool to see one that connects all the state capitals or national parks so you could create the ultimate roadtrip.

6 more replies

That's a minimal spanning tree. You can generate mazes from them. I think it would be super cool to see a maze based on this.

771 more replies

A place for visual representations of data: Graphs, charts, maps, etc. DataIsBeautiful is for visualizations that effectively convey information. **Aesthetics are an important part of information visualization, but pretty pictures are not the aim of this subreddit.**

Best Of DataIsBeautiful

Posting Rules

1. A post must be a data visualization.

2. Directly link to the original source article of the visualization (not an image file) or tag the post as [OC] if you made the visualization.

3. [OC] posts must state the data source and tool(s) used in a comment. Only tag a post as [OC] if you made it yourself

4. Requests and questions must include a visualization. More info.

5. No infographics or other unautomated diagrams. Infographic vs. Visualization.

6. Compilations are not allowed.

7. Post titles must describe the data plainly without using sensationalized headlines. Clickbait posts will be removed.

8. Posts regarding American Politics, or contentious topics in American media, are only permissible on Thursdays (ET).

Please read through our posting guidelines if you are new to posting on DataIsBeautiful.

Commenting Rules

• Comments should be constructive and related to the visual presented. Special attention is given to root-level comments.
  • Short comments and low effort replies are automatically removed.
  • Hate Speech and dogwhistling are not tolerated and will result in an immediate ban.
  • Personal attacks and rabble-rousing will be removed.
  • Moderators reserve discretion when issuing bans for inappropriate comments.

User Flair

Do you like contributing sharp-looking graphs? Are you an official practitioner or researcher? Read about what kind of flair is right for you!