Avg. cost of internet expressed as a percent of net income, by country [OC]

1.2k comments
Flair BotModerator of r/dataisbeautiful, speaking officiallyScore hidden · 1 month ago · Stickied comment

Thank you for your Original Content, /u/kylekun513! I've added your flair as gratitude. Here is some important information about this post:

I hope this sticky assists you in having an informed discussion in this thread, or inspires you to remix this data. For more information, please read this Wiki page.

2.4k points · 1 month ago

It's notable that while this is the cost of broadband, other forms of internet are significantly cheaper. For example, You can get 1GB of 3G data in the Phillipines for equivalent to 1 USD. It's painfully slow, but fine if you aren't watching videos.

Original Poster689 points · 1 month ago

You raise a good point. I know that in much of the world internet access is via mobile phone. I'm curious whether people are able to use tethering to get internet on a PC such that they could do the kind of work that required them to be online and on a larger screen.

138 points · 1 month ago

I've used my mobile few times like that, works pretty well and I get like 50/5 or something with it. Not very good for gaming though, drops packets etc but it works.

I do it in the UK frequently, and the difference isn't noticeable, even gaming its fine.

But doing it in thailand its workable, not for gaming, but fine otherwise,

Morocco, no, too slow, find WiFi.

The interesting part is the the countries they want bitcoin to be popular in, are the ones where it costs the most to be able to access it.

4G data is actually faster than ADSL in Morocco. 4G is usually around 30-50 mbps if you're close to a tower. ADSL is between 4 and 12 mbps depending on how much you pay.

34 points · 1 month ago

Latency is the main issue, not throughput.

There's a limit to how much you can reduce latency. When you connect to a server halfway across the world, even the fattest bandwidth can't beat some shitty local connection.

Read something about how the current undersea cables are being slowly overhauled but I wonder what the overall impact will be. So far, despite the occasionally frustrating speeds, at least I can stream a movie on Netflix in HD. That was unthinkable for me even 5 years ago. 5 years on, I will probably say the same thing about UHD streams.

Wayward OT thought: In a hundred years, maybe someone will be complaining about teleportation speeds? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

teleportation speeds

Yes I will skip that until 100 more years of usage proves that a dropped teleportation packet won't make me lose my dingaling.

It would seem unwise to use UDP for teleportation

6 points · 1 month ago

5 minutes to get to MARS?

In that time I could have taken a shit before I got there.

4 more replies

7 more replies

17 points · 1 month ago

Bitcoin failed pretty massively on that part imo.

33 more replies

4 more replies

10 more replies

24 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I use USB tethering often for my PC. It's supposed to be 4G LTE. I get ~16mbps consistently, often more. Depends on proximity to the towers I'm guessing since some people have told me they get more while others complain its unusable. I have a dual SIM phone and the current active data sim card is used(obviously). Net stops if you get a call on any of the SIMs. I do not know if there is a phone that allows you to use data while voice calls are running. Haven't seen anything to tweak that in any phone's radio settings.

I tried playing online games and it is weird. There seems to be some kind of upload/sec limit on one of my sims even though it usually has higher DL speeds. The other sim works fine. The game just falls out of sync. Like when I am playing WoW, I can still see what others are doing and their abilities/spells go off. However, my own key presses do nothing. Starts with a delay and eventually freezes completely. Discord chat is working fine in the meantime. While soloing, its annoying but just feels like bad lag. In a dungeon, I will disconnect after about a minute. Everything is fine with the other SIM. Not sure what causes it sine wow by itself barely uses 50MB in several hours of being online.

Edit: Forgot to mention my plans. Sim1 - Vodafone 4G LTE 75GB/month at ~US$7 per month. Unused data carries over upto 300GB I think. (postpaid) Sim2 - Jio 4G LTE, 1.5GB/day at ~US$7 for 80 days. Speed goes down to like 128kbps if you cross the limit. Resets around 1 am every night. Unused data is lost. (prepaid)

Damn, I pay 70$ a month for 1.5GB in Canada...

I didn't realize how bad our prices are

Canadians never do. In Sweden, a country with similar population density, geography and tech levels as Canada (and higher taxes), $50/month gives you unlimited data + free calls and texts. And you get to choose your own number entirely freely. (No, I won't post mine.)

I pay £20 a month for 12gb of data and more calls and texts than I could ever need.

I could pay £8 a month for 8gb if I could be bothered to switch.

North America gets ripped off so hard.

2 more replies

Canada has the highest cost per gb of mobile data in the world. If you aren't attached to your phone number, you can tell your carrier you're moving to SK or MB. Those provinces have other options than Bell, Rogers, or Telus (SaskTel and I forget the Manitoba one), which drive the price of the big 3 down. Not a perfect solution, but it's something you can try.

I'm in Quebec, I pay $60/mo for 8GB data.

11 more replies

IIRC any modern phone in the US can do calls and hotspot at the same time. And we only have 1 sim

From what I understand, it does not get disabled per se. Just that smartphones can only use one antenna / protocol at a time or something. You could test it by measuring the speed when calling while having a download active on tether. Mine goes down to zero during the call and recovers ~2 secs after the call ends. All automatically. The statusbar icons stay on throughout.

20 points · 1 month ago

Yap, here in Tanzania (Africa) you can get 4G LTE that goes up to 150Mbps for 10GB/week at around 7 USD. I generally use this bundle for my PC and phone.

16 points · 1 month ago

Internet is fairly affordable if you're on a high (western) wage, but most African colleagues I've met as a sys admin for an international NGO consider internet almost prohibitively expensive.

I'm in Sierra Leone, the carriers here offer a "whatsapp deal" with infinite whatsapp and about 25mb data for something like 5p per day. Being as whatsapp is almost all anyone uses here, it's insanely popular.

That might be a good deal. I've seen similar offerings in other African countries.

But if you're in the market for multiple GBs per day or even week, you're going to be off worse I bet.

3 points · 1 month ago

Thats how i am going online. Never had any other type of connection other than mobile hotspot

30 more replies

Philippines internet is god damn awful in regards to speed.

6 more replies

It's notable that mobile data is significantly more expensive than broadband in many countries. Example: Germany. 35 bucks for 50/10mbit/s flatrate broadband. 10 bucks for 1.5gb 23/1mbit/s mobile

Wow, in Italy i pay 9€ a month for 12GB in LTE with lot of free messages and phone calls included.

11 more replies

For $3 in India you get 1.5GB 4G data every day for 28 days. Using it to it's fullest is 42GB which brings the cost to 7.1 cents per GB. Internet is getting awesome these days in India. Broadband is insanely good where I live (Hyderabad), ACT.

Internet is pretty stellar in India. When I traveled there, I was always super impressed by the cell data connection. I'd be somewhere in rural Rajasthan and getting like 3/4 bars 4G.

Also about the 200 rupees deal, wasn't that just a promotion for getting a new sim, or is the deal still active?

20 points · 1 month ago

Still kicking my friend. 1.4 gigs of pure bliss.

14 points · 1 month ago

The best thing about it is other operators dropped their prices too.

3 points · 1 month ago

You can get something cheaper than that now. The great 4G data war is on.

4 more replies

12 points · 1 month ago

What a world we live in now where bad internet is still good enough to watch a video. I still remember waiting 10 minutes for a web page to load

1 more reply

It India u can buy 1GB /Day 4G data along with unlimited phone call for a month for only around $4 per month :).

Its 1.5 GB now

2 GB a day for 30 days for ~ $4.

5 points · 1 month ago

Very true. In India you get ~2GB of data per day for 28 days for a little over 2$ in total. It's 4G connection, so although speeds vary, I get a consistent 1.5-4 Mbps where I live.

You call 1GB for 1 USD cheap???

he said cheaper not cheap

but it's not that expensive, here in germany you usually pay more.

Here you can get 100 Mbits unlimited 4g for like 20-30e a month and that seems a whole lotta cheaper especially if it's your only internet.

2 more replies

yeah in aus we can pay upwards of $110 USD for 30GB of data. not looking about for the cheapest but my mobile provider does a 20GB of data for $70USD so a Dollar a Gig is pretty good. mind you the cost of living between the two counties is quite significant.

In Canada, that 110 gets you like 3-4 gigs of data, maybe. And that low average internet cost has a bandwidth cap at like 120 gigs

7 more replies

Wait what? You’re getting ripped off mate!

In Australia you can get 30GB for $45 a month with Optus or for $37 a month with Think Mobile.

3 more replies

25 points · 1 month ago

In India, you get 50 gb 4g data for like 50USD. Earlier the data prices were highly inflated in India. But since Reliance Jio came into market with their inaugural offer (which lasted a complete year) of unlimited 4g data for about 50 USD, other service provider were forced to compete with the new rates. Now iirc India has largest 4g userbase.

The same company is now coming up with their own brand of high speed fibre internet to cater to this new broadband vaccum that has suddenly popped since last two years.

i just paid 4$ for a month of 1.4GB/day of mobile 4G in india.

I paid $6.5 dollars for 3 months of 1.4GB/day and unlimited calls.

Took the latest Jio offer now my plan is 3.5GB data per day for 3 months only at $7.27

2 more replies

You're overpaying. Jio has $3/month plan which gives 1.5GB data per day, free messages and calls. So about 42 GB in 28 days or about 7 cents per GB.

Per day data is not as good as per month data. I would happily pay for 30 GB for a month over 2.5 GB/day for the same price. There are up days and down days and someday I decide to watch a movie or stream some sports I would be hobbled by 2.5 GB/day.

1 more reply

Man, India is really impressive recently. Even more striking to think that these plans have the possibility of affecting over 1 billion people.

Yep. It's been a wild ride seeing people of all groups getting connected to the online community. Jio helped a lot. Thanks Motabhai

I paid 5$ for a plan with unlimited calling and SMS and 1.5GB data/day for 3 months. Thanks Motabhai.

6 points · 1 month ago

50 USD? I think you mean ~$5 for 84 days. 50 per billing cycle is expensive af.

3 more replies

3 more replies

6 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Me: in Canada, looking at 2Gb for $50 plan

Also me: cries

4 points · 1 month ago

Yes it's cheap. My mobile plan includes 5GB and it costs 16€ a month. But the speeds are awesome, 100/30 Mbps.

5 more replies

40 more replies

575 points · 1 month ago

Surprising to see Australia in the 0-2% category given how often they complain about their internet access.

737 points · 1 month ago

Internet is shit but salaries are good.

Yeah, honestly Australia should be grey OR red in this chart. >90% of wired connections in country are <10mbps.

Getting >60mbps literally requires paying for installation, and getting a business line for the vast majority of Australian households. And I don't know about my neighbour's income, or even how much those cost, but I bet we couldn't even get that if we pooled our money together and got a loan.

25 points · 1 month ago

I believe you can do something like that with fttp if you get enough of your neighbors interested. Still very expensive though

Yes. But an individual can't.

So Australia should really be NA. Grey, like sub-saharan Africa.

What's the reason for the low speeds?

No shit I started to reply with "the short answer is..." And got to around 500 words without even covering how we got to point before nbn was even spoken about.

It's just a uniquely fucked up situation decades in the making.

Our whole internet system is running on ancient copper wiring. The government committed to providing fast fibre internet to every Australian quite a few years back now but since starting construction, the government has changed parties and changed plans. Now we have this abomination of mixed fibre and copper that means most people are still on ADSL speeds.

Who would have thought that having fibre 90% of the way then copper for the last stretch would be an awful idea? It's like having an 8 lane highway go down to 1 lane right before you reach the end. Of course everyone slows to a crawl getting through the bottleneck... the Australian politicians are all a bunch of sweaty ballbags and have ruined our technological future.

12 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Because the current government sold out a fibre only network as something for youtubers and gamers and voters ate it up. They also seem to be beholden to Rupert Murdoch who would have foxtel be challenged if more people had access to faster internet.

Beholden, read bribed

15 more replies

It's not that people can't afford fast internet. There is no fast internet. Unless you live in the cities, and even then you're not guaranteed to have the option for decent internet speeds.

87 points · 1 month ago

This. I have fibre to my house, but can’t buy anything faster than 100/40 without adding an extra zero to the cost. And I’m one of the very lucky few that has fibre. Most people are on ~20-25 mbit links.

Most people are, but not me. I'm still suck on 5 mbits.

Yep, 5mbps too. don't get fibre until 2020 Q2, and I'm <15km out from CBD of a major city.. it's honestly a fucking disgrace

high five

Im on 1mbs so count yours self lucky

2 more replies

That sounds like a large percentage of America outside the high-density coast cities. I had a second grand-cousin (or some other familial but distant relation) who lived in a small town in upstate NY who couldn't get anything faster than DSL for internet about 5 years ago.

4 more replies

11 points · 1 month ago

And if you do have access to fast internet aka: cable by Telstra (the only large scale, viable provider of high speed internet in urban areas) it costs about $100-$120 a month. If you're lucky enough to be in an NBN area (full fibre) it also gives the same speeds but isn't that much cheaper either.

8 more replies

What I’ve learned about US broadband is pretty interesting. Some areas have internet which is garbage, but where I live the average is around 100 mbit/s, and having 200 or 300 is normal. Some people even have gigabit speeds

3 points · 1 month ago

And here I am in south south austraila (NZ) and getting 950/500mbits for $90

8 more replies

Most places in Australia don't even have 60Mbps internet, I think Melbourne was the first place to get it and that was in 2009. I'd say most can't even get half that (though things may have changed recently with the NBN but that even only has a minimum speed of 25Mbps), the problem is that this is the price of a 60Mbps plan which means that it's only taking into account the 60Mbps plans. I pay $70 for 5Mbps, The fastest internet I can possibly get. a far cry from the 60Mbps that OPs source reports I'd get for that much.

I run a business in an office 2km from Melbourne CBD. Estimated NBN rollout is mid 2020.

Average down/up speeds we test at are around around 4.0/0.75 mbps.

Our network is actually embarrassing.

1 more reply

The top of that graph says 60mbps.

I physically cannot get that where I live, if I wanted it I would have to pay for kilometres of cable runs.

What this graph actually says is

Average cost for a 60+ mbps plan(I'm assuming just for a 60mbps plan because faster speeds would increase it) in relation to average salary.

For instance there might be 1 60mbps connection in Algeria, and that one person is paying 10% or more than the average monthly income.

Which could literally be one rich person, paying a large amount compared to the average wage of their country.

Likewise their could be 1 60mbps plan in America but the cost of that plan isn't nearly as large in relation to monthly wage so they seem reasonable.

My monthly internet bill costs a little more than 2% of my monthly wage after tax.

And it's still shitty internet, the only saving grace of it is that it doesn't have a data cap anymore.

90 points · 1 month ago

The issue in Australia is that we actually had a plan under the previous centre-left wing government for a national fibre network - the cost would still be similar to what we have at the moment, but the current right wing government ran a scare campaign that it was going to make internet horrendously expensive, and that their fibre to the node plan (re-using the 50 year old phone line copper wires for the final fun to each residence) would be faster and cheaper to roll out.

Now we've got a worse network, with large delays and cost blow-outs due to necessary re-negotiation of the contracts that the previous government signed, along with a poor implementation of the technology mix used to deliver the "high-speed" broadband - some homes get HFC, some get FTTN, some get the previously rolled out FTTH, some get wireless, some get satellite, etc.

The part that is most frustrating is that the previous plan wouldn't have proved to be much more expensive than the half-arsed version we're getting - and the current scheme isn't providing the advertised speeds (ie. the 100mbit plans are rarely getting anywhere near that, and the 50mbit plans aren't either). This is because more people are using the higher tier plans, and there isn't enough backhaul under the current government's planned scheme - despite them using the argument that "people won't choose higher tier plans" to justify axing the high speed fibre rollout.

tl;dr - Aussies don't complain about high cost, they complain about high cost relative to the performance that was promised, and the fact that the current cost doesn't deliver performance that was (moronically) claimed to be equal to a full fibre network.

10 more replies

6 points · 1 month ago

checked the source:

Internet (60 Mbps or More, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL) 74.37 A$ 60.00-100.00

apparently..

please tell me where I can sign up for this deal in Australia.

2 more replies

Internet is affordable but shitty.

19 points · 1 month ago

It's cheap because is crap. Anything over 10Mbps is a long way off for most. Even in the biggest cities.

11 points · 1 month ago

The graph is for >60 Mb/s.

Because companies market the deals as 100/40mbps but don't have to guarantee anything. I know people that are paying for 100/40 but are only getting 10/2 because the technology being used to deliver said service is shit.

1 more reply

Canadian here. I pay 110$ a month for my home internet. Shit speeds.

17 more replies

I have no idea what I'm talking about but is this saying there is cheap internet through all of Russia?

374 points · 1 month ago

Yes. It’s very cheap and works fantastic. I pay $7 a month for 100mb/s unlimited traffic + free wi-fi router and 250 TV channels included. 1 gb/s with unlimited traffic is around $30 a month. Mobile LTE is around 30mb/s and costs me $10 a month with free calls and messages within same carrier and 15 gb of traffic- with youtube, instagram, reddit not counted (I can pick apps to use free of traffic as much as I want for additional $1.5/month per app). All public transport and most of bus stops have free wi-fi with speed adequate to watch full hd youtube.

Wow that's crazy thank you

Their average income, life expectancy, and total population are all falling, but the internet is good.

How else is the Kremlin going to export all these Spiderman/Elsa videos?

1 more reply

Income was falling in 2014-2015 (quite a lot in absolutele numbers, way less noticeable in PPP), in 2016-2017 there was some stabilization and, I hope we'll see growth this year.

Life expectancy fell in 90s, right after the dissolution of the USSR, but from early 00s it is increasing steadily and just a few years ago broke the old record from 80s.

The population is growing as well. But, we are close to the demographic crisis (echo of WW2, multiplied by low birth rate in 90s), so it will decline in future.

Sadly, your comment is just another little lie about Russia.

You cant change the mind of an average Joe here. They all believe Russia is a 3rd world shithole. Kinda sad.

I mean, look up tourists coming to the world cup. They really thought they were going into a war zone where bandits kill each other on the streets with ak47s.

Don’t worry about it. Reddit has become incredibly Russiaphobic on the past couple of years. They have completely lost the ability to separate politics from the rest of their lives and from what I see, they seem to hate everything related to Russia, even their people, even if it has nothing to do with politics.

5 more replies

As a russian I can confirm that

6 more replies

I think the cheeky question is around the "all of Russia" part. Which clearly the answer is "No", unless I am wrong and somehow you can get 60 mbps mobile/satellite service in the remote inhabitable regions that make up a large part of the country.

it's an average because in America the same can be said for northern California 14mbps would be considered fast where I live. and 60mbps would be considered impossible without a company like Google providing internet to like Starbucks as part of their partnership

Yeah, I would be willing to bet significantly more than 50% of the US landmass can't even get the speed of internet they are measuring the cost for here.

Edit: My gut would actually say something like 90% (area, not population).

Pareto tells me to guess ~80%

"Over 50%" seems quite safe to say...

You can get it in most of cities and towns, and urbanization in remote regions is really high. For example, http://inta.myttk.ru/tariffs/internet/ not-so-remote, but northern town with like 25k population still has 100mb broadband for ~$10/month.

It happens mostly because:

• most of population doesn't own a house. It's quite cheap to connect 200 flats in same building. Obviously, the connection can be several times more expensive (or slower) for people who actually own their house.

• really high competition: most of large cities have 8+ ISPs

• low wages

By comparison, I live in Algeria and pay 17$ a month for 2mb/s unlimited traffic and no TV. The prices are the same throughout the country.

I believe my bill was around $100/month for that service about 3 years ago in a rural part of the USA. And the service was quite unstable...

2 more replies

Are all 250 channels in your language or no?

30 points · 1 month ago

Mostly. A lot of shows are dubbed- on Discovery, Animal Planet and dozens of others. Some shows on those channels are made locally. Late at night there are shows in English in addition to some channels that are fully in English.

3 more replies

I also have CNN, NHK, DW, Euronews, nature/science channels (Animal Planet, Discovery etc) and various weird foreign channels

11 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I can confirm. $10 a month for 120mb/s unlimited traffic + free wi-fi route + 70 russian TV channels. I live in Siberia.

1 more reply

So you can get this in every city/town and village?

15 points · 1 month ago

Depends on the place. Every city for sure, but carrier needs to have their base stations installed and have all infrastructure ready for just plugging in your house/apartment. Village is different, but depends on what you call a village. More then 500 people they can have descent wired internet. Of course there are parts of Russia where people still use horses for transportation and farming, and don’t have any stores in their town- they don’t have any internet, they have other priorities. There are cities like Norilsk far north where it’s extremely hard to make, so internet is bad and expensive. After cell towers installed LTE is rather good, so mobile is no problem. My dad has countryside house 8 hours drive from Moscow, on a river in the middle of nowhere in woods. I’ve watched Netflix on my laptop sharing LTE from my phone no problem.

13 points · 1 month ago

I'm writing this from a small village in Bashkortostan, Russia. Only ADSL ~5mbps is available here as a wired connection, which is ~13$ (including IPTV). It's far from 60mbps, but decent for a remote place like this.

7 points · 1 month ago

Wow. Fantastic. What made that possible? There is a lot of competition? The government subsidize it? Wow! Here in Brazil I pay 35 dollars for 35mbps without TV.

18 points · 1 month ago

There is a lot of competition, yes. They install your internet the next day after you call, and it takes 20 minutes. Help is 24 hours. Few providers that were not able to help customers 24 hours and were not giving away free wi-fi routers got out of business. Picking your own things to pay for seems to be a thing here now, so mobile carriers that won’t allow you to pick your own minutes-messages-gigabytes per month ratio loose clients too.

6 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

The good part is that now a lot of local ISP's here in Brazil is showing, and people are choosing... Btw, With Vivo, 50mb would be $25...

1 more reply

Well, competition is super strong. I have worked for one of our providers (is it the right word for a company which gives Internet access? We call them like this here xD) and called tons of people every day to convince them our company's offer was better than the one they were having. There are a lot of special offers like bonus TV through Wi-Fi, router rent for ₽1/month (that's 0,16 cent lmao), LTE discounts if your mobile provider is the same as the one in your home, and so on.

And yes, don't forget most Russian cities are built-up with condos. Companies just "throw" an optical fibre cable to the roof and place a switch here — and bam, now they can connect couple dozens people to that switch via twisted pair, which is exrta cheap. So the price splits a lot

It probably has to do with population density. Most Russian people live in flats, so one cable supplies 200 flats with internet in one building and there are many buildings like that packed together.

29 more replies

Internet is fantastic in the entire eastern Europe.

3 more replies

Pretty much. Access in the Eastern parts of Russia may be a bit higher, though.

16 points · 1 month ago

It just says the average for the country is cheap. Siberia has a very low population, if it is expensive there it doesn't increase the average much.

4 more replies

21 more replies

311 points · 1 month ago

I would use median income personally, but good map! Sad to see no country in the Americas other than maybe French Guiana has broadband under 2-3%

French Guyana is there probably because they don’t have their own statistics but go under the French stats.

5 points · 1 month ago

I think you're right, but why isn't Greenland like that?

1 more reply

Does Uruguay count? I am still baffled by their relative success compared to all the neighbouring states. Not only in regards to Internet access...

Uruguayan here, we were the first country in South America to massively install optical fiber in the whole country, in fact we were in the world top ten speed rank for a while, now we are not in top but still, pretty good internet, also the country with the best LTE coverage. We have an advantage, that makes us reach almost full coverage in every politic that we decide to start, which is the fact that 70% of the population live in the coastline, with a big metro are with 50% of the population an the other cities with no more than 10km in between. The problem with that is that the other 30% gets all the benefits way later than the first 70%.

Yeah is not that expensive I guess in Uruguay, but the problem is that it's been years and years and still not everyone has optic fiber. And we all pay the same for different services. Imagine having 3mbps and paying the same for someone that has 60mbps *And btw, this is a minor complaint. I'm not that upset when I look to other countries around, I like it here. It's just details that happen everywhere I guess.

5 more replies

Who knew having a liberal free market and a robust welfare state would be so successful. Unlike most of it's neighbors, Uruguay emerged from the chaos of the 80s and 90s and began liberalizing their markets and opening up trade, including joining the Southern Common Market. Now poverty is less than half of what it was. Uruguay's biggest problem is it's neighbors. Every time whichever dumbass is in charge argentina does something stupid it causes economic ripples that affect uruguay.

Poor Uruguay can do no wrong SMH why are the other countries mean to him D;

29 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

It's not so much argentina doing things to uruguay as argentina doing things to itself which splashes back on uruguay. In 2002 Argentina shut down all bank withdrawals which caused a run on uruguay banks and caused a recession. Having an economically unstable neighbor is bad for everyone.

9 points · 1 month ago

Uruguay has diversified it's economic ties since then. We export a lot more to Europe and China now so we don't depend as much on Argentina and Brazil's economies.

1 more reply

Ironically all non-mobile internet in Uruguay is owned by the government (Antel). Not saying your argument is wrong, but it’s more about how the people in charge are willing to better their country instead of lining their pockets.

23 points · 1 month ago

Yeah and Antel is a great service and better than most services I have in the U.S. source: lived in Uruguay 2013 - 2015

Not anymore, not as it used to be.

Argentina and the Kirchners, blocking the most used bridge for commerce over years, and their protectionist instructions, forced us to go look for other markets. And since they stopped doing this (mostly, they still have some shit going on) we haven't went back to market with them as we used. That is lost.

2 more replies

Definitely should be median.. I suspect that would raise the USA's by a couple percent

it would probably raise everywhere. That is the reason there is thing called median cause the average is falsified due to outliers.

9 more replies

10 more replies

Comment deleted1 month ago(39 children)

And this is wrong. You can’t buy 10+ mbps in Lebanon for less than maybe $100. No clue where the data is from, our median income is not that high.

Comment deleted1 month ago(0 children)

I take 2mb with a data cap because anything “unlimited” here completely drowned in FUPs.

So if you pay twice as much for the unlimited package but the ISP finds that you’re using the connection too much they’ll charge you for “abusing the system” and cut your connection. I’ve had my connection cut for using 40GB, even though the unlimited plan costs 3x as much as the 30GB plan.

Awful, awful internet here. Blows my mind that people suck it up and pay the outrageous costs.

7 more replies

22 points · 1 month ago

Where I am (in the Greater Toronto Area), the residential plans from different companies are separated by speed. In manycases they're also quite a bit higher than the amount show in the data used (Canada $54.72).

From Rogers: 60mbps= $95.99/m. (The first 6 months at $64.99 *for new customers)

150mbps=$107.99/m (the first 6 months at $74.99 *for new customers)

500mbps=$127.99/m (no discount)

Add taxes (13%) every month as well as one time activation ($14.99) and installation fees ($49.99) to all of these.

Bell Canada offers very similar prices for their service.

11 points · 1 month ago

Ya, The 2-3% on Canada is no where close. More like 10-15%

6 more replies

34 points · 1 month ago

You see, this is r/dataisbeautiful not r/dataisaccurate.

3 more replies

Yeah, this is a some crap. Rural areas in USA CAN'T get >60 Mbps, full stop.

And my 10 mbps plan is ~$60/month. Companies have monopolies out here, and change exorbitant fees because they can.

Rural American reporting, 12 Mbps $125/month. Highest available is 15.

5 more replies

4 points · 1 month ago

$5/month for 30mbps?! I wish.

5 more replies

240 points · 1 month ago

The color choice is a bit misleading. The 0-2% is darker than the 2-3%, should be the other way around

43 points · 1 month ago

Regardless of which is higher or lower, it took me a minute to perceive the difference between the two very similar colors.

Green = good

Very green = very good

9 points · 1 month ago

The cyan for 3-5 should be replaced by yellow or somethimg actually between orange and green.

6 points · 1 month ago

Anyone posting to dataisbeautiful and using red and green as their poles probably should be taken out and shot anyway.

4 more replies

It's more than a bit misleading, it's plain wrong.

Let it all out. Tell us how some colours really make you feel

11 more replies

4 more replies

Where in the UK can you get >60Mbps internet for less than 2% of an average monthly income?

Looking at the source data, it appears way out for the UK.

It claims we can get >60Mbps broadband for $37.19 a month. In reality, a BT fibre (up to 80Mbps) is more like $78 or so.

Other providers may differ slightly but that's the going rate!

oh wow BT is expensive, I just had a look and my Virgin Media 350 is both quicker and cheaper

2 more replies

I get 100mbps for £25 a month with virgin - generally hitting (it actual terms not just what they sell it as) over 80mb

5 more replies

3 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Their value for UK income is $2,383.39 which £1,813.91, 1% of which is £18.14, 2% is £36.28 (chart is 0-2%)

Virgin media 100Mbs £29 a month with cable TV, bonkers thing is more expensive without cable TV for some reason £38 a month.

Never heard of them but they do 150mb for £28 a month, very limited availability though.

So while not exactly correct its not too bad.

10 more replies

17 points · 1 month ago

Why is Colombia's orange a different shade than the rest of South America? As far as I can see, that colour isn't in the legend.

57 points · 1 month ago

The colors picked really bug me. There are 5 colors shown on the legend, but many more than 5 colors shown on the map. Some appear to have been a mixture of two colors. Egypt is technically below 10%, yet is darker than the color shown in the legend. If you want to have a legend done with a gradient, display the legend in that manner. Furthermore, 3 different, light shades of green? There are enough colors in the spectrum to have 5 colors per the 5 segregations in the legend, without going into shades of the same color. Especially when green is one of the most common colors colorblind people have difficulty with. Some of the colors, notably the grey and the palest green, do not have enough contrast to one another or to the white that makes up the country borders.

This is data, but it certainly isn't beautiful in my opinion.

12 points · 1 month ago

Also starting with the dark green, then going to the lighter colors, and then going to darker colors again. When I first looked at the map I thought it was saying that Internet in Europe was more expensive than in the US, when it’s actually the opposite.

3 more replies

Original Poster81 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Background: Walletwyse just re-launched the mortgage & car calculators, emphasizing the role of monthly operational costs in total cost of ownership. This got me thinking about relative cost of items (like internet utilities) that don't take up a huge chunk of budget in the U.S., but can be massive costs elsewhere.

With the ability to compete (and to arguably even just function) in a modern economy increasingly dependent on reliable broadband internet, I thought it would be interesting to show the cost of internet as a utility relative to the average monthly wages, by country. I wasn't surprised that internet is cheaper in East Asia and much of Europe than it is in the U.S., but I was a bit surprised that it is relatively inexpensive in India, and that broadband in Russia seems to be quite affordable. Would be curious to hear from the global redditor community on the accuracy of this dataset.

Data: Numbeo's internet cost by country and income by country.

Tool: Datawrapper

Dataset: Google Docs

EDIT - The text at bottom right is supposed to say "w/ attribution"

EDIT 2 - The pun in the title was entirely unintentional, but I'll take responsibility for it nonetheless. ;)

55 points · 1 month ago

In India's case, the market was disrupted by Reliance Jio, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited, which has the highest market cap in India. For my current rate plan, I get 1.5 GB/ day of 4G data for 84 days and it cost me less than $6. Not to mention unlimited calls and sms.

11 more replies

Thou it is good question i would love to see stats of mode income and not average cuz where on earth do you get stats where average income and income of most of population is a match?

4 points · 1 month ago

At least for my country, Brazil, I can say that this numbers are way off. To get internet at these rates, you must pay for landline(no one uses landlines) and a cellphone package, and/or cable TV, and it's not cheap. To get only broadband the price is almost 2 times the listing price.

That data is wrong atleast in my country on both the salary and internet price.

OC: 34 points · 1 month ago

This dataset is extremely misleading. The median Broadband price in the US is $80/month and the median monthly income of wage and salary workers in the US is $876/month, which puts the US over 9% for percentage of income going to broadband internet - so orange bordering on red.

Using median income for the rest of the world would likely change other countries but not to the same degree that it skews the results for the US since we by far have the most unequal distribution of wealth of any country in the world.

Why limit it to greater than 60 mbps? That excludes gargantuan swaths of the U.S. for example

6 more replies

16 more replies

...Nigeria is suspiciously greyed out.

We all know they have internet princes but I guess it's too hard to calculate their net income from phishing scams.

Indeed a lot of their economy is hugely corrupt, even people all over the rest of Africa believe that to be the case.

4 points · 1 month ago

Every African I've ever spoken to thinks their home country's government is corrupt as hell, which mostly just points to a basic grasp of reality.

3 more replies

43 points · 1 month ago

I live in Canada. The problem here is that high speed internet is almost non-existent outside of the city.

I live 100k east of Oshawa and 7km north from a major city (which has fibre) the best connection I can get is a 6mbps DSL line for $50 + tax monthly.

Yes, Canada has one of the worst cost for internet services in the world. We're no where close to the U.S in terms of average cost/revenue ratio. The U.S has much much cheaper internet and phone services than Canada, and they have a higher purchasing power.

Us people in Hong Kong are extremely lucky. We can get 1000mbps download and upload for just 330hkd in some parts of HK. 330hkd is about 45usd.

5 more replies

I was going to say, how is Canada so cheap on here? Even living where I do in Canada, theres no way it takes up that little of an amount of my income. And I live in a fairly big city in Canada.

5 more replies

Internet costs anywhere from 40-100 a month in Australia. But our “average wage” is 80k a year. That’s most definitely a hyper inflated number as the average job nets you about 55k a year. Only going up to 70k with a diploma+, where the average vocational education is 46% of the population

42 points · 1 month ago

I moved to the UK from Australia a few years ago and was so impressed by how cheap internet was there.

Moved back to Aus this year and found the cost of internet so jarring.

Was surprised to see they were the same percentage. But then remembered how trash my salary was in the UK. So yeah, makes sense.

2 more replies

Indonesian here, at my place the minimum monthly wage is about 170 USD and I got my 1 MB/s unlimited plan fiber connection for about $25/month, that's 14.7% of the wage.

So yeah, confirmed.

4 more replies

No way the average income in Venezuela is $32 dollars when most people work at minimum wage rates (about $1-2 a month, it's a freakin' terrible situation here)

Also, Venezuelan internet is probably the cheapest in the world (not a good thing, the service is shit)

Whatever, still a cool map! :)

The averages are probably taken from more than a year ago.

7 more replies

I honestly would have switched the lighter green and darker green in the legend. Just a personal choice but it makes more sense in my head.

6 points · 1 month ago

I would have used a different coloring system. Started with the light blue, then the light green, then the dark green, then the orange, then the red. When I first looked at the map I thought it was showing that the US payed a lower percentage than Europe, then I looked at the key and saw it was reversed.

6 points · 1 month ago

I'm in India right now and here I have bought a 4G data plan for 149 INRs. This plan includes Unlimited Local,STD and Roaming call + 1.4 GB data per day + 100SMS/day,

All these for 28 days. Airtel has many other packages that are suitable for various customers. I hope Nepal telecom will bring this kind of plan very soon. Success of the nation is correlated with how fast is their internet.

3 more replies

From Indian Internet user standpoint:

Mobile data (Jio):

₹399 / $5.8 for 1.5GB data everyday for 82 days (Unlimited calling and texting) at 4G LTE speed.

Home WiFi (local internet service provider):

₹2121 / $30.8 for unlimited data at 10 MBPS speed for 90 days.

5 more replies

I can't see whether someone else has posted this here, but this does not really account for availability. Using Australia as an example, sure broadband is affordable if you can get it, but >60mbps can't be had for love or money in large parts of the country. And I'm sure it's worse elsewhere.

5 points · 1 month ago

India really surprises me. Is that really accurate? The GDP per capita (pre-tax, I assume?) is just $2,135. That means average internet price for a 60M connection is just $3.56-$5.34/month, or less?! How is that possible?

Well it is

Cheaper than that.

I am on a plan that comes out at $2 per month. Unlimited calling, texts and 1.5 GB data per day.

How is that possible?

The biggest industry in India , Reliance( worth 120billion $) in 2015 decided to compete with all the isp big bois in India.

Till 2015 Reliance as a isp/network provider only operated & focused on rural India.

In the same year the prime minister modi launched his trademark "digital-India" campaign , which connected over 300 million people to the internet ,(that's about the population of U.S.)

Digital India had massive p.r campaign , it became the buzz word of the year. Reliance partnered the government on various projects, decided to launch its most ambitious project called jio

Being the largest company in India & the massive p.r , they saw their chance . They offered free 4g unlimited internet for one year if they bought their sim cards . Naturally everyone jumped on jio. Cities, towns , villages everyone who had a phone. Dozens of jio towers were built every day , that's how fast Reliance worked for this project.

Seeing this the other network providers went into panic mode , even illegally blocking calls from Reliance sim cards (the case is still in court). Companies becme desperate since they can't match Reliance , so they allied.

Rival networks merged together , big brands bought the smaller ones, some took massive loans , others even partnered with foreign brands China & the east .

At the end , we got this . Jio lost its vibe & made its prices affordable for its consumers(rural ones) , other networks now had the funds to compete with Reliance .

5 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

The color choices on this is a complete face plant.

Green < light green < light turquoise < orange < red

3 decent ways to pick color scheme for your data visualization:

• Have a gradient of 2 or 3 colors (like a traffic light or a red-to-green,) with the same saturation, and all colors are sorted and equally spaced on the gradient.

• Use only one color and use saturation or opacity to indicate intensity. eg. strong green to very light green tint.

• Pick random colors with the same saturation.

The first two are useful when the things you visualize can be represented as

x > y > z.

The last one is good when the things aren't strictly better or worse, like opinions on or quantites of things.

You decided to use all 3 at the same time, and it hurts my soul.

4 points · 1 month ago

So now you know how Carlos Slim became a gazillionaire:

Slim's growing fortune has been a subject of controversy, because it has been amassed in a developing country where average per capita income does not surpass US$14,500 a year, and nearly 17% of the population lives in poverty.[92] Critics claim that Slim is a monopolist, pointing to Telmex's control of 90% of the Mexican landline telephone market. Slim's wealth is the equivalent of roughly 5% of Mexico's annual economic output.[93] Telmex, of which 49.1% is owned by Slim and his family, charges among the highest usage fees in the world, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.[94] The average Mexican spends 1.50 pesos per day on Slim's goods and services for a total of roughly US$140 million a day and the Federal Telecommunications Institute, a new Mexican government anti-monopoly watchdog said in April 2014 that Slim's telecom businesses are monopolies.[5] Slim's business presence in Mexico alone is so broad that many Mexicans find it appropriate to call the country "Slimlandia" as it is almost impossible to go a day in Mexico without contributing to Slim's wealth.

[Source;] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim) he also owns the main telecommunications provider in the Dominican Republic. Now, I’m a free market capitalist and I have no problem with anyone making a trillion bucks in a free market economy. But that’s now what is practiced in most of Latin America; connections with the right people allowed people like Slim to play the system to their advantage and that’s what you’re seeing here in this graph.

The average Latin American is wealthier than the average Indian so you figure out how much telecommunications companies in the region are overcharging their customers.

1 more reply

Im from india and we get 1.5 gb per day data 4G around 2.5-4 mb/s speed at around 1.5 us dollars per month.

This graph seems off for many areas of the US. Where I am the fastest service offered is 20/10 for 200 a month.

4 points · 1 month ago

Averages tend to be very misleading for things like income that tend to be logarithmically distributed. Median income would be more interesting.

5 points · 1 month ago

Bangladeshi here. Commenting on that little orange area adjacent to India.

I live in the country's capital Dhaka. I have never seen 60mbps Broadband being offered at a consumer level. Access to Broadband is still quite limited geographically. Seeing broadband is rare outside the bigger cities and towns. Internet access is largely done through There are about 5.7million broadband subscribers compared to 80million plus active mobile internet users (according to the local Telecom regulator's statistics). In terms of speed, I currently use a 15mbps broarband line for around 20USD. Average per capita income is around 1500 dollars per annum. So a half decent broadband line will certainly cost more than 10% of avg. monthly income.

1 more reply

How about dividing the US by states, neither internet costs nor wages are the same between states, not even close. You can pay 20 bucks for gigabit in one place and pay 200 for 20Mb in another. Making averages out of these kind of numbers inside the US completely masks the reality.

In india, cellular 4G is $5.80 at 1GB per day with 84 days validity and broadband is $17.40/month for 1000GB at 150mbps. Pretty cheap.

That isn't very accurate, in austria for example it is not even possible to get 60mbit/s unless you live in a bigger city. And even if you get a contract with 60mbit/s it means that you could get 60, but most of the time you'll get around 30-40 since the providers refuse to guarantee any minimum speed (you'd need to pay thousands of euros a month for a guaranteed 100mbit connection). So its actually quite a bit more expensive to get 60mbits and also only about 30% of the population have access to that kinf of connection.

Btw the average internet speed in kenia is higher than in austria!

Is there a reason for the the choice of three shades of green? I struggle to see the difference. I think Tufte just left the room, dude!

I used to see this all of the time at a Big-4 firm. Partner fought with Data Design team constantly instructing us to use only the handful of firm brand colors. Good luck trying to see differences with only a few color choices.

Why >60mbps? What is it so fundamentally data intensive other that film streaming (multiple streams) or file sharing that requires such a speed. I would argue that countries in the red zone are there because their infrastructure does t yet provide so many internet connections at such speeds which pushes prices upwards.

Edit: small typo in 60mbps

3 points · 1 month ago

1 Gbps symmetrical (+4 cellphone lines +Orange TV) for 148€ in Spain. It's a family plan called "Love".

3 points · 1 month ago

This needs to be broken down into a per GB deal.

In Australia we use to have cap plans without unlimited data.

in the case of Algeria data says that the price for a month of >60mbs internet is 33.68$= 3,966.05 DZD which is wrong ( 3,966.05 DZ will get you 4mbs)

50mbs cost 15000 dzd = 127.49$ = 46%
100mbs is at 30000 dzd = 256.24$ = ~93% of avg income
source

Those three greens should be different colors that are more easily contrasted as differentiating them can be difficult depending on the screen.

Like use green, purple, and a blue.

Another idea is to switch on and off the graphic to greyscale or turn up the brightness to different levels - this will enable you to see if the color contrast is different enough.

Wait is that as in more than 60mbs per second? Cause Australia man we struggle for 50 down and 5 up and pay a fair bit for it xD

Mean no offense to the data or OP just question if its greater or less than 60mbs and making an 'aussie internet is bad' joke

3 more replies

496 more replies

A place for visual representations of data: Graphs, charts, maps, etc. DataIsBeautiful is for visualizations that effectively convey information. **Aesthetics are an important part of information visualization, but pretty pictures are not the aim of this subreddit.**

Best Of DataIsBeautiful
Posting Rules
  1. A post must be a data visualization.

2. Directly link to the original source article of the visualization (not an image file) or tag the post as [OC] if you made the visualization.

3. [OC] posts must state the data source and tool(s) used in a comment. Only tag a post as [OC] if you made it yourself

4. Requests and questions must include a visualization. More info.

5. No infographics or other unautomated diagrams. Infographic vs. Visualization.

6. Compilations are not allowed.

7. Post titles must describe the data plainly without using sensationalized headlines. Clickbait posts will be removed.

8. Posts regarding American Politics, or contentious topics in American media, are only permissible on Thursdays (ET).

Please read through our posting guidelines if you are new to posting on DataIsBeautiful.

Commenting Rules
  • Comments should be constructive and related to the visual presented. Special attention is given to root-level comments.
  • Short comments and low effort replies are automatically removed.
  • Hate Speech and dogwhistling are not tolerated and will result in an immediate ban.
  • Personal attacks and rabble-rousing will be removed.
  • Moderators reserve discretion when issuing bans for inappropriate comments.
User Flair

Do you like contributing sharp-looking graphs? Are you an official practitioner or researcher? Read about what kind of flair is right for you!