Hunting for rainbows in Kings Canyon,CA

3 points · 21 days ago

Welp - I need to go back. Haven't fished there is 20 years.

Original Poster2 points · 21 days ago

Honestly I love finding small creeks in Sequoia but something about Kings canyon just keeps me coming back to it.

I've never been there before but that looks amazing.

Original Poster3 points · 21 days ago

Come on out here. That Red Dart you tied would do work out here

What's the name of the stream? I definitely would like to drive down there for some fishing.

Original Poster6 points · 21 days ago

That’s Zumwalt meadow which is the South fork of the Kings river.

Original Poster3 points · 21 days ago

Kings canyon sheep creek is pretty decent. Suggestion would to go in around 10am and scope out a sight. And for sequoia I would highly suggest Dorst creek campground but not near sight 155 or 162 due to trail heads being in the back of them. Also Dorst creek sight 50-60 is right on a stream that I catch brooms out of frequently

Original Poster2 points · 21 days ago

Few rainbows nothing of size. Going to go back in a few days and try again.

Going to be in that area in few days. Any camp site suggestions?

I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with your fly line 😊

Original Poster1 point · 21 days ago

I know I did the same thing. I went back and looked at the video and I’m at the outside apex of a corner trying to change directions and strip line all at the same time. Doing too many things at once.

Couple of things. The rod looks partially loaded but the angle of the line looks way to steep. It should be more or less perpendicular to the rod. The farther off that angle you are, the less energy your stroke can produce. That said it’s really hard to tell from a single snapshot.

So, catch anything?

Original Poster2 points · 21 days ago

Two rainbows nothing of major size but decent fish

This is a subreddit for anglers who pursue, or wish to pursue, their favorite fish on fly rods. Whether you fly fish a 2wt on small creeks for brook trout, a 14' 9wt for Steelhead or Atlantic Salmon, or Tarpon on a 12wt; your contributions and questions will be welcomed and appreciated!