Do I need to upgrade/replace my rod, reel and line?

Setup I’m running now: Rod- Orvis Clearwater • length 9’ • wt. 3 5/8 OZ. • 6wt line (number 14 under this on the rod)

Reel- Orvis Clearwater LA II for line weights 4-6, 5.5 oz., 3⅜" diameter

Line- Orvis Clearwater WF-6-F N20 Color- Green

Backstory: got in to fly fishing a few years ago and I bought this rod, reel and line from Orvis as a beginner setup. I really enjoy it, with fly fishing being the only fishing I do now. I fish for pan and bass in ponds some large some small, for the most part.

I’m looking for advice on what to get if I need something new when it comes to the rod and reel and with it being about 5 years since I got this setup I’m assuming I need new line. I’m in Colorado right now and I will be doing some fishing this week trout and what not. -if I could also have someone explain what line, taper and tippet I should get if I keep this setup I have now. setup pictures

I say you’re totally fine with that setup for now. I don’t think you need to replace anything except your leader. 4-5x should be fine for your leader and tippet.

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Yeah I was pretty knowledgeable back in day, I was really into it. I’m more worried about my line.

As a long as it still floats, you will not *need* to replace it. You will likely see some value in replacing your line though.

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

I replaced my leader and tippet over the years

What you have is fine. The most important part of your setup is having a good line to match your rod. Get a new good line. You can have the best and most expensive rod with a crappy line and it will be a piece of junk vs a decent rod with great matching line.

I 2nd this. Importance priority: 1.Line 2.Rod

3. Reel

What are some decent lines?

I had a very similar experience, but had a different brand beginner set up. I came to the conclusion after spending some time in my local fly shop that a new rod and reel weren't going to be a huge improvement for me. I tried some higher quality models with 4 and 5 wts and they were lighter, but I felt the accuracy wasn't too much different, they maybe were easier to cast. I figured it wasn't worth the $500+ for the improvement though. I have rarely depended on my reel trout fishing as well so that was going to be unchanged.

I settled for a new high quality line and it is great, amazing difference on the loops and lay down. I picked Rio gold, but there are a lot of good lines. I would go with a new line and save up for a heavier rod. I noticed a much bigger difference on an 8 wt entry model vs a step or two up. My shoulder muscles experienced more fatigue with the cheaper heavier rods.

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Dumb question but do I have to match my leader and tippet to the line and rod weight and can I go lighter on the tippet and leader? I haven’t used flies this small 16,18,20,22

No, you can adjust the leader and tippet to what works. I typically use a 5x leader and use 5x or 6x tippet depending on how the bite is. I fish 22 with both sizes. If you are throwing streamers though, you can go up to a 10lb line or more and just use that.

I started building my own leaders. Saves money and you can customize it to the particular fish your targeting or the type of fly you're throwing. As far as the line goes, I change every couple years due to the heat here. The rod and reel are fine until they break pretty much.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you are just itching to get something new consider adding a 4wt rig to augment the 6wt. Eventually a lot of us wind up up with a quiver of rods to cover different situations. Or, just stick with what you've got and have fun.

Original Poster2 points · 2 months ago

I went with rio gold WF-6-F line instead of a new setup. As much as I want a new rod & reel in 4 wt I’m gonna hold off. He line should do for now from what everyone said, thanks for the reply.

Good choice. Best of luck.

If you're single and can afford it, you can start your own quiver like many of the other users have mentioned. It's nice to have different rods with different lengths and weights and made from different materials. If you're married though, it might be a little bit more difficult to convince your other half that numerous rods are necessary!

If you are not living pay check to pay check give yourself a treat and by a new rod / reel / line setup. I agree with others it will not ensure an increase in the number of fish you land, but it will give you an opportunity to compare it to your current set up.

With that empirical evidence you will know with certainty how much difference there may be, or not be, between setups at least for your current and the new one you purchased.

A second rig also provides the opportunity to have someone else join you so you can introduce them to what has been a very rewarding experience for me at least.

How does it cast for you with the 6 weight line? Does it feel over loaded when you are going for longer casts or have you been able to work your line just fine?

Most models that list as 5/6 weight tend to cast best with lines on the heavier 6 weight end, but for panfish you might enjoy setting it up for 5 weight if it will still cast to your liking.

Good review of the Clearwater below that recommends Rio Gold fly line. Gotta say, that really is a fantastic line.

Original Poster1 point · 2 months ago

Just picked up rio gold WF-6-F I’ll keep y’all posted thanks to all for the info!

This is a subreddit for anglers who pursue, or wish to pursue, their favorite fish on fly rods. Whether you fly fish a 2wt on small creeks for brook trout, a 14' 9wt for Steelhead or Atlantic Salmon, or Tarpon on a 12wt; your contributions and questions will be welcomed and appreciated!