Archived

[I ate] Poutine

i still have yet to try it! May I ask if this is US or Canada?

Original Poster30 points · 6 months ago

Sadly this was when I was on vacation in Canada.

Why sadly? Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay....we'll try harder next time!

Original Poster45 points · 6 months ago

Sadly because I'm not Canadian and can't enjoy this on the regular. I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 days in the Toronto area and wish I could have stayed longer :)

Bro. I'll let you in on a secret. Its dirt cheap to make.

Go out to the store and by some cheese curds. Normal cheese works too. Get a gravy packet and some fries. There you go. Unlimited poutine.

Fiddle around with it until you make one you love.

46 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Are you Canadian? I feel like I’d catch some flack for throwing something like that together with frozen fries and gravy packets and posting it as authentic poutine... Shit I posted tacos with ground beef a few weeks back and about got lynched...

The “tacos” in question: https://i.imgur.com/BJcgFSM.jpg

Edit: For example, this is the second highest voted parent level comment in this post:

“You [ate] at New York Fries poutine, which is hardly poutine at all.”

No way this guy is going to let me get away with packet gravy. I’m going to have to keep it on the low when I do it.

Well, if you post about it on Reddit you'll get bullied for it, because Reddit likes to make food elitist and inaccessible unless it can be "authentic."

Doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I personally have never tried packet gravy so I can't say if it's any good, but storebought fries and cheese is fine. Go for a battered fry or potato wedge for more flavour, I find some fries (looking at you, Smart Fries) are rather bland. If you can find curds then get those, otherwise a mild and melty white cheese would be good.

Sorry but what’s a “battered fry”? Sounds yummy. Edit: Is it like a JoJo potato wedge?

Might be talking about like beer battered fries. Something like: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/beer-battered-fries-3233651

Yeah, basically. Beer battered is best, or sometimes I use McCains Savoury Wedges (might be too much flavour for poutine though), etc. are all good. The goal is a crisp crust on the fries so they withstand the gravy.

Although some people prefer soggy poutine but that's another story.

You nerds can’t have food!

As a Canadian, this is not gourmet food so make it as shitty as you want lol. Most poutine is made with fake gravy and if you're feeling guilty about the fries, it's not that much more time consuming to buy some potatoes and make "real" ones but again, no one really cares.

Do non-Canadians think that poutine is fine dining or something? From what I know gourmet poutine is a fairly new kinda hipster thing is it not?

The only difference (mostly) between gourmet pountine and a good old fashion poutine is the price and quantity...funny enough the cheaper one also includes more food. And usually tastes as good or better.

Nothing screams gourmet like potatoes, Gravy and cheese curds!

Love me some poutine.

To be fair, while it is absolutely not gourmet food, a lot of places make poutine so horribly that it does a disservice to the dish. Which I would have thought was impossible.

You can probably make it with frozen fries, packaged gravy and chunks of mozz instead of curds if you really wanted to, but they have to be the right textures and the right ratio when combined.

was responding to this post.

I know man I wasn't clowning you don't worry

God damn those are good looking Tacos.

And I do not see why you would. Everyone does it here.

Thanks, they are really good! I just know when I post them I’m going to hear about it. I’ll have to give your method of making poutine a shot. I’ve never had it. If you see it on reddit be sure and have my back.

Oh yeah i remember thise tacos. I was gonna give you a hard time for certain things that are not of my preferance but than i remember im not an ahole. Sometimes

I appreciate your restraint.

I'm a Canadian living in the US with very, very limited access to good gravy and cheese curds. I honestly just cut my own fries from potatoes (tastes WAY better than frozen), boil them briefly then bake or fry them up.

I just use shredded mozzarella and Trio brown gravy (the BEST instant gravy, I swear) and it's like I'm home again.

Yeah, people back home would probably turn up their noses at it.. but it's a hell of a lot better than bacon cheese fries!

Canadian here - Lot's of us didn't grow up rich, aren't picky/elitist, and will have NO fucking problem with you slapping together your own poutine!

Maybe be careful bragging about this if you head out into Quebec but other than that you'll be fine :P

1 point · 6 months ago

If it's any consolation, I would eat these.

The only problem is, whenever I try to make a taco, I get too excited and I crush it.

Comment deleted6 months ago

We call canada curd country. Fields of curd, as far as the eye can see. Curds for miles up North.

No “squeaky” cheese and poutine sauce with fresh cut fries is the only way to make authentic poutine.

If it was in Toronto, Sadly 99% chance it does not taste like a real poutine...

This looks like NY Fries? A staple in most Canadian Malls.

You said you visited Toronto, was this at the Vaughan Mills mall?

Typical

... At New York Fries.

I was in Canada 15 yrs ago and totally forgot about this. Thanks for the reminder! It was delicious!!

New York fries, some of the shittiest poutine around get one at a family owned place next time not at an enroute

Damn are you the poutine nazi? Too much salt in your curds? are you from curdistan?

I’m a Canadian poutine critic

You will never get that cheese in the USA

Pretty sure it is cheddar curds and they are eaten by the bucket load in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Unpasteurized?

Was in Wisconsin and they were not the same we use in the Poutine

1 point · 6 months ago

ok

You ate the wrong ones, then. They’re the same.

If you tried real ones from Quebec?

Where, what brand. I had many in the usa and never close to the real one we got here

There was a massive cheese factory near my house that made curds and were famous for their curdish delights but the whole place burned down a few years ago. It was a national tragedy. We were curdless for many cold depressing months but rejoiced once more as they rebuilt...better curds than ever now!

good one but not the same.

What are you talking about? I see cheese curds for sale at my local grocery store in Seattle. Are they banned in some states?

Looks the same but it is not. Tasted both.

Poutine in the US?

Comment deleted6 months ago(5 children)

You forgot the most important ingredient... the curds.

Also, if you've ever had the stuff with real poutine sauce instead of regular gravy, it's extra delicious.

Definitely. A poutine place downtown where I live has lines out the door a lot of the time, they have numerous different kinds.

As an American, I appreciate that "bucket" is listed as one of the sizes their poutine comes in.

lol. Trust me it's worth the guilt.

Canadian poutine in Canada from New York Fries! I wonder if the States has NYF with poutine.

Original Poster9 points · 6 months ago

I don't think there any NYF in the US? Which seems odd...

There's a Smokes Poutine in Berkeley, CA. It's not bad. Their traditional beef gravy isn't rich or thick enough for my taste. The key though is that it's open until 2am I believe.

Good bot

The best poutine in Canada comes from a family run casse-croûte in Quebec...somewhere off the beaten path. Chain restaurants don't do poutine justice.

for sure. Chip trucks in quebec are the best.

It’s so weird to think that poutine is a notable experience for people when I can walk 5 minutes to like 6 different places that have it around me.

Same here, but with Döner.

Donair? Are you from Ottawa?!?

No, Cologne, Germany. :-)

New York fries poutine is one of my favorite poutine

Had this stuff when I went to Canada in September. Now have a 1 year Visa and am heading out soon!

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

I'm jealous. Lots of good food up there. I hate cold weather unfortunately otherwise I'd love to go to Canada long term (for more reasons than their food lol)

I don’t mind the cold, honestly. I actually quite like their weather, and a lot of other things beside. There’s a special someone out there who just... Yes.

Its only cold from December to early March (Like bad cold). Summers are fucking amazing....we get all 4 seasons hardcore (In Ontario at least). It gets hotter in Ottawa in the summer than most places in the states.

You at New York Fries poutine, which is hardly poutine at all.

Original Poster8 points · 6 months ago

I wondered if it's considered the McDonald's of Canada. Unfortunately all the other poutine places we came across were closed. I did have crepes from several places and one seemed very authentic.

No McDonalds is the McDonalds of Canada.

Not quite as great as Tim Horton’s is it?

Is anything? Unless they cut hours then we’re rioting

I love New York fries. I’ve had plenty of Poutine from many vendors and rarely are any “bad”.

As long as they use cheese curds, you can consider it legit.

Truth be told, most poutine places aren't very authentic. There was a trend started by "Smokes Poutine" to break into the poutine specials (pulled pork poutine, nacho poutine, chicken peas and onion poutine, smoked meat poutine, etc etc.) And everybody followed, while nobody ever really did real poutine correctly. These days, the best poutine you will find is in small towns in Quebec. My personal favourite was from a small, single rink arena, in a small town outside of Quebec City.

Smoke's Poutinerie is usually open until the AM and has tons of locations in Toronto. Should have gone there!

This looks like the Dutch patatje oorlog, may I ask what is in Poutine? Looks delicious

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

Fries, beef gravy and cheese curds (there were a lot more curds under the gravy). It was really good!

Fun fact: New York Fries uses a vegetarian gravy for their poutine! So it’s actually mushroom based

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

Oh wow I didn't know that! Welp. Tonight we'll be having beef gravy on our poutine. Oops.

As long as it’s curds, and not shredded cheese, you’ll be fine ;)

Definitely need to try this. Sounds amazing and looks good.

Am simple person See fries I click Then i want to eat

Actually typically here in a Canada we use brown gravy, not beef gravy.

Looks delicious. Where'd you buy it from? I'm in Toronto right now on holiday and I've been looking for some good Poutine places.

See if you can hit up Poutini's House of Poutine. Might be a bit out of the way, but it'll be worth it. Heads up though, I think they only take cash.

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

Good question. I wasn't sure but just checked and this was New York Fries so I think this was outside Toronto. But another person said Smokes Poutinery is good in Toronto

4 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

A lot of pubs in Canada have amazing pulled pork poutine. All you have to do is make sure you ask if it's cheese curds not shredded cheese and if the pork/meat was made fresh.

Places like new york fries, smokes and others. They are alright but they aren't anything great. In fact I really dislike new york fries because it reminds me of taco bell processed shit.

It’s from New York fries. A big chain. Look in any mall food court. There are lots in Toronto.

That looks delicious!

I have to laugh at all the poutine purists around here. I’m not picky, I have never met a poutine I didn’t like, including New York Fries food court poutine.

In fact my favourite poutine is actually from Costco!

Poutine elitists in this thread lol. New York Fries poutine is one of my all time favorites and I personally think it's delicious. It doesn't have to be made in an old grungy hole in the wall in Bumfuck, Quebec to be considered poutine. I'm Canadian and quite confident that NYF poutine is poutine. Hell, even McDonald's poutine, albeit being extremely mediocre and too salty, is poutine.

Comment deleted6 months ago
Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

I'll be honest, I thought the idea of gravy on fries always sounded gross. My daughter really wanted to try poutine so we got some and I thought it was great. I don't think we saw one food truck during our visit. We found one on yelp and both times we were set to go, it was closed :/

Unfortunately have never heard of disco fries. Must not be a Midwest thing.

Also Canadian here. I don't understand how French fries with gravy and cheese curds is disgusting but the idea of mashed potatoes with gravy isn't. Both dishes has similarity in terms of ingredients but one has a deep fried component.

If you ever make it back to Canada, a fast food chain with locations in Quebec City and Montreal called La Belle Province makes amazing poutein topped with smoked meat.

Toronto?

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

I think so. Or a place between Toronto and Niagra Falls

NYF is all over Southwestern Ontario.

1 point · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I had some poutine at Fri Poutinerie in Fresno, Ca. and it was terrible. Gravy was really bland, cheese wasn't great and the fries were blah.

Next time I try it it'll be made at home, no more restaurant poutine.

poutine outside of Quebec (or eastern Ontario\western New Brunswick) is 99% horrible

I completely reject that something has to be specially made in a magic certain place for it to be good. It's ridiculous that people think that. BBQ doesn't have to be made in the south, fish and chips don't have to be made at that little coastal town you were born in, and pizza doesn't have to be made in wherever you think to be good.

But yeah, that poutine in Fresno wasn't something I enjoyed. I'll give it a shot again some day, maybe.

Since, you cannot get the exact cheese needed for the poutine in the USA, you miss 1\3 of the ingredients, so it's not about the place it is made, it's about the ingredients.

When will the Canadians give up the secret Poutine gravy recipe?

Quebec cheese curds. Which are a Canadian-exclusive thing.

Actually, I find the cheese curds from St. Albert Cheese Factory in Ontario are the absolute BEST for poutine.

We sell them at my work! I agree, best curds ever.

My hometown was not to far away from St. Albert. My Memere still sends me a giant bag of the curds every year after I moved west.

Fort ?

Fort what?

somebody's in western new york

Sometimes I ask them to add some green onions on top, delicious!

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

I've heard of this. Something to keep in mind when I make it at home. Thanks:)

I want that poutine my mouth

Chips n gravy

forgot about the Quebec Cheese curds buddy

Nope

-4 points · 6 months ago

so, it's basically french fries with some gravy on top of it?

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

There's lots of cheese curds under the gravy. Very good! I think the fries being handcut maybe is also part of poutine.

I always do my fries handcut! anyway, I might search for some recipies and try it.

-1 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Been looking thru this for an explanation. Am American. Just what is cheese curds? What we call large curd cottage cheese? If ‘cheese’ is a valid substitute, then what are the curds for? EDIT: Why would I get a down-vote, but hours later, still no actual answer/explanation?

Never been to Wisconsin, huh?

Just Minnesoooota for a bit.

No. It's fries, gravy and cheese curds. Much, much better than you will ever know.

You think that guy will never have a chance of trying poutine in his entire life?

I was just asking a question. doesn't mean I will not try it.

Gravy and fries are awesome

will try it out. I've never heard of poutine before.

It's anything but basic.

If you’re in Toronto try Smokes Poutinery! It’s delicious :)

Come on! Smokes is alright, but it’s a decent late-night option at best - fast food poutine. I’m not in Toronto, but there’s got to be better spots for someone trying the dish

Yeah of course! But I figured since they had New York fries they just wanted something quick :)

Yes, in Quebec.

I respect the origins, but as someone who’s lived in several provinces I know there is top-tier poutine all over this great country!

Smokes is good but there is way better, usually at local spots.

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

Oh no, too late! But a good rec for others :)

Yeah, New York Fries is perfect for vegetarians since the gravy is vegetarian.

Comment deleted6 months ago

Have you eaten it?

Comment deleted6 months ago

It is oddly very different from those. It is almost a perfect storm of flavour. If you get a FRESH pountine, you get these nice hot, crisp fries, smothered in a warm, savory, hearty gravy, with a salty tang of fresh mozzarella curds cheese. You don't expect it to be so good, but once you try a real one, it is obvious why.

*Edit: Typo

Chips, Cheese and Gravy

FTFY

I've been saying this for years, but the best cheese fries consist of Fries, then thick gravy, then shredded mozzarella and then broiled until the cheese starts to brown. Poutine is for lazy people. Make your fries with love.

P.S. I'm Canadian and I've had poutine from everywhere and trust me, baked cheese on top is way better.

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

Hey I can't hate you for eating what you like!

Heinz Ketchup please

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

On poutine?? ಠ_ಠ

Oh goodness no, I'll just stick with Heinz, and sometimes Hellmans. Was just in Canada and watched a young lady at the end of a bar eat a massive dish of it, I'm scarred.

What even is poutine? I'm American

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

Handcut fries, cheese curds and brown gravy

1 point · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Ok, don’t say “I’m American,” like most Americans don’t know what poutine is. I don’t know anyone who isn’t aware of what poutine is and we’re all American AF. Don’t put that evil on the rest of us.

I'm southern American and I'm a teenager. Forgive me on that

Ok, that’s fair.

Comment deleted6 months ago

I mean, I'm 5'4" and weigh 111 lbs, so I guess maybe I'm considered fat in South Korea.

I just know what foods are. I like to eat many different things. You don't have to be fat to have a varied diet.

Comment deleted6 months ago

What on earth is your problem? It’s called eating in moderation and moving your body.

How am I a bitch for knowing what poutine is and being slender? It’s not like I eat it often. And even if I did, I’d just eat less calories the rest of the day. That’s how moderation works, big guy. Kind of sounds like you’re the bitch.

Comment deleted6 months ago

Canadians are so insecure.

2 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Jesus Christ.

Poutine is fries with gravy and “squeaky” cheese curds. It’s not that big of a deal.

It’s not the Holy Eucharist.

-6 points · 6 months ago(3 children)

It’s french fries, gravy, and cheese.

Get over it.

Ah you are one of those

One of those people that knows the difference between respecting the preparation of boeuf bourguignon, and the lack of preparation it takes to make fries, gravy, and cheese curds?

Yup.

You had a slop of crap there B'Y. NY fries are rubber and aren't worth the snow on my boots sorry

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

A bit like feeding Pizza Hut to an Italian eh?

This looks like really good poutine, but if you didn’t eat it within Canadian borders, or in Quebec, it’s not poutine as any Canadian will be quick to point out.

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

I was in Canada, South of Toronto I believe:)

In Montreal, they only speak French so they call it putain. Be sure to ask for some! ;)

You might not get what you ask for ;)

Cooking, restaurants, recipes, food network, foodies, talk about it here!

r/food Rules
Only food-related posts are allowed.
Be nice to each other.
No overt blogspam. No blog links, at all.
Keep your titles descriptive and on topic
Mod removal of posts and/or comments is allowed.
Use np.reddit when linking to reddit, even /r/food
Get to know food