Archived

[I Ate] Hummus

Dude, some chickpea'd in your hummus

I'm stealing this. I'll think of you when I get the laughs at dinner

"why does R Kelly like Hummus so much?"

What’s the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?

I wouldn’t pay $100 to have a lentil on my face.

What’s the difference between a chickpea and a GARBANZO BEAN? I wouldn’t pay $100 to have a GARBANZO BEAN on my face.

this one makes more sense to me..

What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil. Shape, color taste the only thing that's the same is that they are both food.

God I love Hummus and warm flatbread. Throw in tabouli and nirvana.

Nothing complements middle eastern food like 90’s alternative.

lol

Original Poster7 points · 6 months ago

Absolutely right!

Anyone else read this as: "[I Ate] Humans" in passing?

Only reason I clicked the link.

Yep

i sure did, and boy was i confused by the photo

Well, puréed, of course. That's the only way to eat them.

Yep!

Yep

Nothing wrong with eating out humans...

Username checks out

Same

Bingo. Stupid dyslexia.

That looks delicious.

Original Poster9 points · 6 months ago

Indeed

I love me some Roasted Red Pepper hummus.

Where was this? NYC?

Original Poster8 points · 6 months ago

Lebanon

Nice plating!

How did you do that presentation?

You use a spoon to create a well in the middle. Scoop out some and then use the convex end to smooth out the walls. Add olive oil and raw chick peas to the middle, a touch of sumac around the sides, and it’s ready to serve.

Scoop out some

No need to scoop! Just push the back of a spoon down and in a circular motion around the center while overlapping it, and you'll get the well.

What's the red powder? Paprika?

Original Poster5 points · 6 months ago

Paprika :)

Try it with sumac next time

I never get my hummus this finely ground. Any tips?

Take the little condoms off of the chick peas before blending

But then there will be more baby chick peas.

More grinding

3 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago
  1. Try to get as much of the chickpeas skins off before blending.

2. Pre-blend the chickpeas in a small amount of the cooking water to a smooth paste, before adding the tahini.

upvotes for this. I have been using this recipe for a while, and it makes a substantial difference.

We add a tiny bit of water and lemon juice while blending. Just a little though you don't want to dilute the rich taste. My husband will also cook the chickpeas until warm and this helps, too. It softens them.

Yum I want hummus now lol

MORE LIKE YUMMUS AMIRITE. Ok thats enough internet for now.

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

A restaurant nearby my place in Seattle serves hummus in the same presentation and charges 10 bucks with the bread.

1 point · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

What restaurant is this in Seattle (I live here too)? I'm going to guess it's Mamnoon. If you like the hummus I suggest going for lunch instead, it's still 6 bucks for hummus but its much cheaper overall. That place is crazy overpriced though.

I thought it said humans😖

That's some fine looking hummus.

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

Tastes better

Do you like it more bean or tahini tasting? My husband likes the beans more, me the tahini. I also like lemon and garlic in it. I like a little sumac sprinkled, too.

+1 for tahini.

Very light on the paprika (I don’t like spice), but sumac is also very good!

We use paprika, too! We have found this delicious Lebanese evoo at a little Asian market that actually tastes like it did when we were growing up. It makes all the difference. Most in the US are watered down and rancid. Sorry, I guess I'm just passionate about ME cuisine!

Was it good?

Buhhhh omg that looks incredible

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

Tastes better :)

That looks amazing

Original Poster1 point · 6 months ago

Tastes better :)

It looks like a guy on a rock being praised...

That looks very like the hummus at The Monkey Bar in Berlin. That, too, was some great hummus! Hope you enjoyed.

I miss read and thought you said humans

That looks amazing

Put pomegranate kernels in your hummus now.

Looks delicious. Hummus is one of the few dishes in the world that an absolute novice cook can make extremely well while adding their own unique twist to the basic recipe.

1 point · 6 months ago

Do you use a cook book when you cook?

Hummus is one of the easiest things you can possibly make. Chickpeas + tahini + whatever flavors you like (li like it simple, lemon juice, salt pepper, and oil but the sky is the limit). Throw it all in a food processor and blend it up. Done.

I disagree. I tried several recipes before I found the one to my taste. Ratios matter.

Never had hummus before. Are those raw egg yolks?

No they are chickpeas, the main ingredient in hummus. It tastes similar to bean dip.

Cool thanks! I’ll have to try it soon.

sesame paste, chickpeas

There's an olive oil drizzle on top.

I first read that as "Humans". The color of the hummus didn't make it better.

-1 points · 6 months ago

Next will be, "[I Ate] Water."

Hummus‘ve been hungry

This is the only thing I eat. (I'm Israeli)

What a shame, you guys have so many amazing options.

Well it's a joke. If I eat outside I may eat shawarma, falafel, etc. But I eat a LOT of hummus.

So do we! This thread is making me so hungry! This week I'm making tabouli, falafel, with tahini sauce on warm flat bread! Yum. American food is so plastic after eating rich ME cuisine! I just made mjadra and it's so good the next day cold with a little evoo and bread. We also eat a little labne with it on the side. Wish someone would start a subreddit for ME cuisine!

Cuuuute.

Needs more paprika. Ever try smoked paprika? So good!

I have mild dyslexia and read “I ate humans” lol.

Ugh, I commented like an hour ago saying I really want baba ganoush, and now this gets posted my craving is even worse.

guess I better get my fat ass off the couch and down to the store.

Comment deleted6 months ago(4 children)

In the hummus hopefully, where it belongs.

What a bizarre comment.

Comment deleted6 months ago

Projecting much?

-4 points · 6 months ago

Don't tell me you ate this with a fork..

If it’s great hummus you can eat it with a fork. Maybe just wipe it clean with a quarter of a pita when you’re done, it’s rude not to wipe a hummus plate clean.. source - am Israeli

I absolutely love hummus, but I too eat it with pita, wether bread or chips. Amazing stuff.

And if you wipe it really well, you don't even need to wash it

Yep, can confirm.

Cooking, restaurants, recipes, food network, foodies, talk about it here!

r/food Rules
Only food-related posts are allowed.
Be nice to each other.
No overt blogspam. No blog links, at all.
Keep your titles descriptive and on topic
Mod removal of posts and/or comments is allowed.
Use np.reddit when linking to reddit, even /r/food
Get to know food