[Homemade] Apple Pie

Looks beautiful and delicious.

Original Poster744 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Thank you! A lot of time to cut everything out. Haha. Worth it.

Apple Pie Recipe

Pie before it went into the oven

Taking the first slice

Pls tell me you at least work as a Baker or chef.

Original Poster799 points · 6 months ago

Nope. Never baked a pie in my life until a couple days ago. This was my second one I’ve ever made. Really proud on how it turned out. Thanks for the compliment. Haha.

2nd one? 2nd? 2? dos?

I'd say quit now while your at the top of your game.

Original Poster326 points · 6 months ago

I swear! I’ve baked before, just never pies. I think I’m gonna try other flavors in the future.

Meat pies! You must try meat pies like the British eat and no other nation!

"There's no place like London." ~Sweeney Todd.

At the top of the pit sit a privileged few, making mock of the vermin in the lower zoo, turning beauty into filth and greed.

I, too, have sailed the world, beheld its wonders. Though the cruelty of men is as wondrous as Peru, but there's no place like London.

1 more reply

There's like nothing there but that's still great, thank you!

And i can't think of meat pies without wondering what (who) went into them.

Sweeney Todd is on my sd card on my phone...I wanna watch it now >.> <.<

The whole movie? Put it on Drive and send it over lmao (kidding. My roommate has it and i could grab it from his bedroom if i wanted to)

2 more replies

No other nation? Australia would like to have a word with you...

Uhhhhh wot m8? Australia has the best meat pies ever. I want a pie now.

1 more reply

Meat pies. “a lot like British people themselves: a hardened outer layer gives the impression of composure, but under the surface it’s just a hot fucking mess.” - Jon Oliver

1 more reply

I eat them and I am here in America family is british though

I love meat pies! Does that make England my city?

Comment deleted6 months ago

1 more reply

Meat pies! You must try meat pies like the New Zealanders*** eat and no other nation!

1 more reply

Pot pies! You must try pot pies like Americans eat and stole from British meat pies which the British eat and no other nation!

5 more replies

30 more replies

Blueberry!

I love blueberry but it's hard to get the filling just right. Can you make me one, pretty please?

12 more replies

No fucking way. This is the best looking pie I have ever seen.

Holy hell dude, that's freaking fantastic for your second one! That's really a piece of art!

Original Poster14 points · 6 months ago

First one tasted good. This one looks like it too. Lol

WELL THAT SHIT LOOKS SO GOOD IT LOOKS FUCKING FAKE...

YOU SHOULD DO THAT SHIT FOR LIVING... ID FUCKING EAT THE FUCK OUT OF THAT...BITCH!

Original Poster10 points · 6 months ago

😂 Thanks!

username checks out

3 more replies

This is gorgeous. Are you a designer or artist? When I cook I always go out of my way to make sure it looks good (if it doesn’t taste great, at least I can make it look pretty). I’m definitely going to borrow this style.

Original Poster48 points · 6 months ago

I’ve done art all my life so that might’ve helped.

Yeah. I’m on to you. I bet your pie tastes like shit.

/s

1 more reply

If that's only your second pie ever, you should skip college and go pro!

9 more replies

How did you cut the leaves and do the roses?

Original Poster51 points · 6 months ago

Cookie cutter leaves and hand rolled the roses with the leaves. Haha

Why do you keep cackling like a mad genius after every reply? What are you not telling us?

He sold his soul to the devil to learn how to make pies like this.

The only logical explanation.

Johnny butter up your flour, and roll your pie crust hard. Cause hell’s broke loose in the kitchen and the devil bakes with lard. And if you win, you’ll get this magic oven made of gold. And if you lose, the devil gets your soul!

This is straight awesome!

1 more reply

I don’t care what you aren’t telling us. It looks fantastic.

1 more reply

That's even better than artisan bakery

16 more replies

11 more replies

Tip: Don't leave this one on the windowsill, it will go missing within a few minutes.

Original Poster127 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

It wasn’t by the windowsill but the window was propped open next to the table. Not gonna risk Yogi Bear getting this one.

Or the Soggy Bottom Boys

Or Jim from American Pie..

1 more reply

This one? You mean Yogi Bear has taken other ones?

1 more reply

Don't leave your teenage son with it either

2 more replies

I am known between my family and my friends as the guy who loves apple pie. This right here would be enough to make me be your slave

Original Poster155 points · 6 months ago

😂 Apple pie is one of my favorites.

Wow, really? blushes

Warm apple pie? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Original Poster57 points · 6 months ago

Oh yeeaahhhh. I don’t get how people eat it with cheddar though. That’s weird to me. Haha

Warm apple pie? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think that was a naughty reference to the movie American Pie :)

Original Poster56 points · 6 months ago

Never seen the movie. That’s why I couldn’t get the reference. 🙈

Me neither :P

This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them!

Seriously now.

Looks like we've got some younguns in here

Original Poster10 points · 6 months ago

Never seen the movie. That’s why I couldn’t get the reference. 🙈

Me neither :P

This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them!

Seriously now!

1 more reply

Have you ever tried it? Apples and cheese are surprisingly quite complimentary. Especially a really sharp cheddar, none of that Hoffman's bullshit.

It's actually really, really good. A big ol' hunk of cheddar on the side (not melted on top) is just brilliant.

1 more reply

This right here would be enough to make me be your slave

As someone who somehow managed to discover that his last two girlfriends are into bdsm, these are some dangerous words.

2 more replies

Your pastry-work is BEAUTIFUL -- what a gorgeous, golden crust with lots of textures and pleasing shapes. Absolutely anyone would be eager to eat this pie -- it's so pretty! (I don't even enjoy pie, and even I want to eat it.)

For some reason I read this in Paul Hollywood’s voice

Sounds more like Mary Berry to me. Just needs a 'scrummy.'

Bless Mary Berry and her "scrummy" exclamations!

Lovely bake!

Same, I’d even begin to suspect it was him except I’ve a hard time believe he doesn’t love him some pie

Darling, I have to say, this is absolutely scrummy.

I adore Paul and Mary (they seem genuine, charming and warm), so I really appreciate your comment! (But I admit to being a nearly-middle-aged woman, residing in picturesque small-town New York. I couldn't fake a decent British accent if I were paid for it -- it would be a spectacular failure, if I tried. haha)

But will OP get that handshake?

1 more reply

I read this in Gilbert Gottfried's voice.

You know how much I would pay for Gilbert Gottfried to read reddit comments about pastry aloud?

Is it eleven quid?

1 more reply

I'd be a little hesitant to eat a work of art like this.

It's a truly delectable work of culinary art... but I'd be hard-pressed to resist those flaky layers of tasty goodness. It does look too perfect to ruin, though...

I don't think I could cut it, but once it's cut I'll happily dig in

You can't trust someone who doesn't enjoy pie.

My eldest son agrees with you, entirely.

...But he STILL eats my food. (And I haven't poisoned him yet!)

2 more replies

You're really great at giving compliments :) So specific and genuine, it even made ME feel good reading it and I didn't even make the pie

Thank you warmly for your sweet comment -- it's a great kindness! (And now you've made ME smile, so the feeling is mutual. Much appreciated!)

This pie would go to waste because I wouldn’t want to ruin it by cutting it up.

My family has no such regard for edible works of art -- they would tear into this pie without a scrap of remorse. (Thankfully!)

I'm sure family and friends are enjoying every tasty morsel of OP's labors.

Completely agreed. This is really impressive work. From the looks of it, I’d bet you have lots of other photos — would love to see more!

Incidentally, this will almost certainly provide some hilarious PinterestFail attempts by others in the future.

Well done!

what do you mean you don’t enjoy pie... everyone enjoys pie

That's a fair criticism -- I won't argue against it!

I've never been particularly enthusiastic regarding pie. (And I absolutely LOVE sweets -- probably TOO much!) But I deeply appreciate a good cheesecake, and I've always thought it's technically far more pie than cake, anyway. So... can we meet half-way?

I can and will absolutely testify that a fantastic key lime pie (none of that fake-green, artificial, overly-sweetened nonsense allowed!!) is a GODSEND and a culinary treasure, though. (But isn't key lime pie a cousin to cheesecake, anyway? So I might be cheating on that point...)

yes kind stranger, we can meet half way

I have never had key lime pie but you have convinced me that it is something I NEED to try

3 more replies

4 more replies

I’m doing pies for my wedding instead of cake. This is fantastically beautiful! I’d kill to have art like this on my special day

Original Poster39 points · 6 months ago

Thanks for the compliment. 🙌🏻

Don't do anything ur good at for free... Hint hint

7 more replies

How the fuck is that so nice?

Original Poster83 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

A couple hours of prepping, cutting, layering, sticking them together, and a whole lotta patiences.

You deserve a prize.

Original Poster108 points · 6 months ago

A PIErize? 🥧🥇

Your prize is both the pie and the fact that you're on the front page now.

!redditgarlic

2 more replies

Took so much patience it had to be written plural

Original Poster82 points · 6 months ago

This my second attempt at making an apple pie. My first one turned out alright but I figured out what to do to improve my results. Pinterest inspired me on the crust design.

Beautiful. If you want an amazing pie book with the best tasting dough and recipes, check out Four and Twenty Blackbirds. It's wonderful and will definitely appeal to your aesthetic senses as well.

Seconded! Four and twenty are seeerious pies.

2 more replies

I made an apple pie once but It was so bad I never made one again, do you have a good recipe? This post inspired me to try again

1 more reply

i have no idea how your pie tastes, but those rosettes are decorations you'd find on special-order pies costing $50 a pop here in LA.

Original Poster20 points · 6 months ago

Good to know! 🤑

That’s because it takes hours to cut and score all of those shapes.

1 more reply

Sometimes I can get the straw into the lid of my soft drink. That’s about how coordinated I am. I wouldn’t be able to eat that pie it’s too pretty. Can you hang an apple pie on the wall?

1 more reply

As a degreed pastry cook, I have to say that pie is what I would have seen for final buffet projects in school. Beautiful work. Pastry dough is no joke. That lattice work is even and wonderful. Congrats on such a superb pie.

2 more replies

As a chef I can say you've got some real talent if that's only the second time you've made a pie, nice job man

Original Poster11 points · 6 months ago

It is! Thanks! 🙌🏻

1 more reply

Damn fine work. If you live in Amsterdam I have a job for you!

Original Poster14 points · 6 months ago

Unfortunately I live in Oregon. Would love to visit Amsterdam sometime in the future.

Make a berry pie next. We have the best berries, in Oregon.

1 more reply

Is there a trick to weaving the crust strips? There must be a trick! Magnificent.

Original Poster17 points · 6 months ago

Actually, it’s pretty simple once you get the rhythm and pattern. It’s like weaving a basket if that makes sense. I’d say go on YouTube. They have lots of videos that show you how. The tricky part is if you have a lot of strips, you might forget to “weave” a strip and then the whole thing looks a bit odd.

Weaving is just a type of layering, inter-working the layers into the pattern.

You can actually do it with string to get the idea.

Well? Did you at least create the universe first?

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

From a single apple seed of course.

Really lovely crust work there!

10/10 would recreate the scene from American Pie with!

This is how I imagine pies would look in Lord of the Rings. Elvish pies.

Nah hobbit pies for sure. Feels too homey to be elvish.

People weaving masterpiece crusts like this and I can't even get my shoelaces to come out the same length.

How is it possible to cook this pie without any sauce bubbling over the crust?

Original Poster25 points · 6 months ago

A watched pot never boils, same thing here. Just stare inside the oven and scare the juices away.

I just want to show this beautiful creation to my high school foods teacher who told me apple pies always have a solid top crust and marked down my grade for the lattice crust. Great work; it’s gorgeous!!

10/10, would fuck it.

Love, Jim Levenstein

1 more reply

wow it looks so good . very delicious and innovative . well done.

I'm sorry, I cannot in good faith upvote this until I can personally attest to it tasting good as it looks.

Original Poster3 points · 6 months ago

Fair enough. Haha

Is food art Buddhist in it's impermanence? That pie looks amazing btw. It just struck me that you spent so long but it will disappear as it is being enjoyed.

Original Poster6 points · 6 months ago

Seeing the expressions on people faces makes it all worth it!

You gotta do the egg wash with sugar and shit!

Thanks for posting your pie. Seeing it made me really happy as it’s so gorgeous. You really made my day as I received some bad news earlier.

6 more replies

It's a knack, doesn't matter if you've done it twice or a hundred times. If you have it you have it, if you don't you don't. this person does

Dough game strong with this one.

This is one of those items that you look at and say, "Oh but this is too pretty, I can't cut it up!" Then you smell it and go, "Get the pie knife, I'm gonna eat this thing."

Thats so beautiful I'd have to flip it upside-down to eat it.

Looks amazing :)

I actually gasped when I saw this, it's stunning. Beautiful detail, and that perfect golden brown... Fantastic work!

Jesus. That is so beautiful. T_T

That's a piece of art, so beautiful, I wouldn't eat it just to keep it like this

This is beautiful.

Don’t let them fool you, this is a Mrs. Smith’s frozen pie.

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

I am Mrs. Smith. What’ll yah have? 👩🏻‍🍳

Very nice

That is a piece of art. I would be afraid to eat it

This is art!

Wow, this looks amazing oO the flowers and petals look especially great 😊

Keep that away from Jason Biggs

I would be scared to mess it up by eating it. It's so well crafted.

Beautiful work, 503. Did you brush the crust with anything? What kind of apples are imprisoned in that pastry cage?

2 more replies

I will never not appreciate a good lattice. Nice work OP!

I really love your Dutch Apple pie. A side of French vanilla ice cream would be a plus. Thank you, Mrs. Smith :)

That pie is better looking than I am, not gonna lie.

Mmmm... looks so good I’d Jason Biggs’ it!

I wanna fuck it.

I love edible art!

I would be really reluctant to cut into this pie, delicious as it looks.

I told my Asian mother she said "pineapple?" And I told her "no it's apple pie"

1 more reply

Wow! I would feel so bad cutting that open! Too beautiful to eat!

That pastry work is iNSANE 😮😮 did you use a stencil for the leaves and roses?

1 more reply

Is this what it looked like before the first take of American Pie?

How am I supposed to eat a masterpiece like that

Damn that's s nice looking pie!

Beautiful work!

This is impressive.

Simply lovely and yummy!

Wow gorgeous!

Stunning! Fantastic job OP!

Any recipe I could follow? I've had troubles making good pie dough from scratch.

beautiful detail work with the crust assemblage... the leaves and roses are a lovely touch

I don't even like apple pie... and my mouth totally watered!! You have shown me the light!!

Definitely want a taste !!!!🤤

That aint food! Thats art!

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

Thank you!

It looks so amazing it would be a waste to eat! How do you even make those leaves?! They are absolutely gorgeous!

Original Poster4 points · 6 months ago

Cookie cutter! I detailed them with a knife.

These are the answers we were looking for 👌

Looks too good to eat.

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

It’s edible too!

I was thinking of making Apple Pie just the other day. Think this may give me inspiration, but I don't think mine will look as good, haha.

Fabulous . Not even Martha Stewart can do that

1 more reply

You're not actually going to eat that are you...

2 more replies

Op is a liar. Clearly this was made by a 65 year old grandmother. :)

Original Poster2 points · 6 months ago

If I was was born 43 years earlier, sure. Lol

1 more reply

That is one gorgeous pie!

I made a similar apple pie last Thanksgiving. https://imgur.com/a/l3GKP

2 more replies

Superb. Very intricate work. But you must glaze it with, I think, egg white and sugar water.

It's so beautifully made I wouldn't want to eat it to mess up....no I'll eat it. And may I have some ice cream to go with it please? :)

This pie looks amazing.

That’s the most beautiful pie I have ever seen.

That's beautiful =)

Awesome pie

+100 heal

That’s almost to pretty to eat

445 more replies

Cooking, restaurants, recipes, food network, foodies, talk about it here!

r/food Rules
Only food-related posts are allowed.
Be nice to each other.
No overt blogspam. No blog links, at all.
Keep your titles descriptive and on topic
Mod removal of posts and/or comments is allowed.
Use np.reddit when linking to reddit, even /r/food
Get to know food