[I ate] Matcha ice cream with gold foil and black sesame waffle cone.

I'm not into gold foil on food, but matcha and black sesame is a winning combination!

The useless shit we waste money on to make stuff seem fancy.

I mean, if they can afford it, why not? It's their money to lose spend.

That's the cosumerist mentality that is turning the planet's ecosystems into billions of novelty toys and mountains of garbage.

Every use of land and resources creates opportunity costs and externalities for others. That's a reason why profligacy is bad but you'll probably just dismiss this because kids today don't have decent values anymore.

Says the guy using his microchip powered plastic device to spread the good word of anti-consumerism.

1. That's a tu quoque fallacy.

2. If I restricted myself exclusively, then virtually nothing would be gained and I would suffer relative disadvantage. To illustrate: Suppose you're living in a town close to the sea that is regularly threatened by floods. For this reason, one of the inhabitants, called David, suggests that a dam should be constructed in order to protect the village. Since everybody will be protected by the dam, David argues, it's fair that everybody should share the costs of its construction and maintenance. David is not a hypocrite if he is neither able nor willing to construct and maintain the dam on his own. He would only be a hypcrite if he wasn't willing to participate if his suggestion was accepted by the rest of the community.

3. See this, or this, or this.

The beautiful thing about political philosophy, is that there is an argument to every possible argument and what is right and wrong are completely subjective (otherwise known as a dialectic. Something that has been lost to this new generation). Logic isn't boolean, so don't fool yourself with pre-defined counters. Some will disagree with you, and you must accept the fault in your stance.

You're entitled to your own opinion, of course. But you can't preach from the soap box and not expect extreme scrutiny.

Opinions are subjective, but that doesn't mean that they are equally sound. As Asimov once said, "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"

All people, barring those who are mentally handicapped, already know this. You yourself tacitly admit that reason isn't subject to whim each time you decide to leave a building by the front door rather than a window on the second floor. Only when people are intellectually cornered do they suddenly resort to the lame "everything is just subjective"-defense.

Some will disagree with you (...)

Well, I never! /s

(...) and you must accept the fault in your stance.

If somebody demonstrated that my line of reasoning is fallacious, then I would admit it. You, however, didn't even attempt to engage any of the things I wrote.

In any event, logical fallacies are fallacious arguments regardless of what the world, or our perception of it, is like. So the least you could do is to acknowledge my first point.

-9 points · 4 months ago(2 children)

The sub for fancy pictures of (often) expensive food went full anti-consumerism. That's pretty funny.

Gold foil on an ice cream cone?

Fuck it we'll do it live! WE'LL DO IT LIVE!

-9 points · 4 months ago(0 children)

You eat that foil? Pardon my ignorance

Yeah you can eat gold. It's tasteless and inert, and of course isn't digestible, but you can eat it. It's mainly a gimmick or for people to spend a lot on food to show off.

It's so you can say you literally shit gold

-5 points · 4 months ago(2 children)
8 points · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

[removed]

-12 points · 4 months ago(0 children)

I used to work with a lot of Indians. Their snacks were covered with silver foils.

I heard they believe its good for digestion.

I think we believe it doesn't let bacteria grow on food :|

Silver can be used to purify water of bacteria. Ancient roman soldiers used to keep a couple of pieces of silver in their water skins for this purpose. (Not as good as a filter, but better than nothing). I'm pretty sure eating it doesn't do anything (good or bad), but I can see where the myth came from.

Eh I have always hated that they get stuck to the roof of your mouth. I peel them off before devouring the sweets :P

I think you are referring to recent research showing uses of silver nanoparticles. Not sure if ordinary silver coins or foil would do the same thing.

1 point · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

I couldn't find the specific info on Roman solders (research during my college days) but I did find this: "Silver has been known to have antibacterial properties since Roman times..." http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/Silver_water_disinfection_toxicity_2014V2.pdf [Edit] the article mentions "increased effectiveness" with silver nanoparticles, but silver alone does have an effect.

It's not recent, for example silver has been used in plasters and dressings for decades. Heavy metals disrupt protein folding and structure.

The outer layer of silver objects may dissolve into the water, which in turn may help slow bacterial growth. The actual clinical value of having it on plasters and bandages is questionable, but the science behind heavy metals interrupting bacterial growth it is age old.

Isn't it to insulate the food? Also I'm pretty sure it's aluminium foil but it's just silver in colour

It's definitely silver. Aluminium is also toxic if ingested to humans (although I'm not sure what the toxicity threshold is). Silver will.just pass on its merry way (and does exhibit anti bacterial properties)...

1 point · 4 months ago · edited 4 months ago

Aluminum is not considerably toxic. You'd have to consume 40mg/kg of body weight per day to see any sort of adverse health effects. For an avaerage sized American man, that's 3.6 grams of aluminum per day. Or roughly 1/4 of a beer can.

This food couldn't be more hipster if it had a fedora on.

$50 for one ice cream cone?

One ounce of gold, a little bigger than a quarter, can be hammered into 100 square feet of gold leaf.

That looks like about 2" x 4" so 18 of them out of a square foot.

$1300 is the rough price for an OZ of gold, making it about a $0.72 cost per cone.

Gold foil packaged for food use is probably going to cost plenty more than the weight of the gold, though. There's the work involved, the food-safe handling, the markup etc.

A sheet of gold foil is just about 1$. It‘s very thin, so it‘s low in weight.

Maybe so, but the gold foil isn't gonna be a $1 upcharge. It's gonna be at least $5, because its gold and it's only there to make people seem rich

Still though, this is just soft-serve. I'm not gonna pay $8 for soft-serve.

You cannot digest gold. It ends up in the toilet and adds nothing to the taste.

Eating gold seems so stupid and pointless--pardon me.

That's because it IS stupid and pointless. So your perception filter is calibrated properly.

Kanazawa?

I thought a bird had shat on your ice cream

I would have skipped the gold foil and asked for some dark chocolate flakes..

They were huge on that combo in Kanizawa when I was there.

But did it taste amazing?

Nah

So how much is it, really?

Cooking, restaurants, recipes, food network, foodies, talk about it here!

r/food Rules
Only food-related posts are allowed.
Be nice to each other.
No overt blogspam. No blog links, at all.
Keep your titles descriptive and on topic
Mod removal of posts and/or comments is allowed.
Use np.reddit when linking to reddit, even /r/food
Get to know food