Archived

Weekdays too

1.5k comments

Lost? I regret nothing!

425 points · 1 year ago

Then you are lost!

Don't try it

You underestimate my power...

151 points · 1 year ago

jesus christ. every thread.

Well, whatddya know?

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

I've got a bad feeling about this

And it all started right here beginning with the taxation of trade routes..

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

This is where the fun begins

Not yet

Hello there!

I thought not. It’s not a story the Jedi would tell you.

6 more replies

5 more replies

61 points · 1 year ago

Not all who wander are lost

7 more replies

2.0k points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

This game was awesome!! There was one level in particular that had what seemed to be a never ending flow of orcs in front of a castle and when u got on top of the castle u could dump flaming tar or something onto them down below. I would play this lvl over and over just clearing all enemies off the map. Basically just mashing square endlessly! So much fun

Edit: I feel like I fed everyone who commented member berries. Crackin me up

586 points · 1 year ago

IIRC it was Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli arriving at Pelennor fields. You had to open the gates/kill the trebuchets.

You could actually kill all the orcs too. You just had to not die and have a lot of patience haha

218 points · 1 year ago

I distinctly remember completely clearing out all of the orcs on that map at least three times, once with my brother and the other two solo.

Comment deleted1 year ago(7 children)
52 points · 1 year ago

Yep, that was the farming level for my brother and I. Maxed every character we could with that level. We got really good with the combos.

4 more replies

30 points · 1 year ago

There was a level before Minas Tirith where you could clear everyone as well. Very satisfying.

2 more replies

I think he's referring to The Southern Gate, the level before Pelennor Fields. source: I also played this level over and over.

That's pretty impressive, considering you'd have to dodge 90 kg stones being thrown from 300 meters away.

6 more replies

125 points · 1 year ago

I would just use Legolas with all his upgrades and pump out arrows. He had unlimited arrows so I just spammed arrows. They did so much damage. He was OP.

112 points · 1 year ago

Purple arrows OP af. Shooting 3 at a time.

Two at a time I think. But they'd fly through orcs while setting them on fire! So OP for the Black Gate level since they all ran up in line

Me and my buddy would always rush for legolas so we could do that and get the higher score. Perfect mode +arrow spam = massive points.

Gandalf could almost compete with his laser beams but not quite.

Don't forget Gandalf's indestructible death ball! I think it was L1 L2 R1 R2 at the same time and you could literally run through a ton of orcs and kill them with ease lol

7 more replies

14 more replies

237 points · 1 year ago

instakilling trolls with the javelins.

16 points · 1 year ago

So good!

287 points · 1 year ago

Square-square-triangle, special glowing bonus effect because I just hit like 10 at once, square-square-triangle...

149 points · 1 year ago

Square-R2 for the block and finishing move was diiirty

131 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Orc bane.

I liked the move, with Aragorn at least, where you shoulder into a guy and as he's falling down you pull out your dagger and stab the living fuck out of him.

Gimli's orc bane was great as well, sweep the legs then it's just like chopping wood.

Is that where he twirls the axe around a bunch? That one's great as well

thats x circle R2

6 points · 1 year ago

Gandalf's human bane was brutal - freeze them in place with your staff, lift them slowly up into the air and then run them through!

Gandalf wasn't fucking around.

Holy nostalgia

97 points · 1 year ago

Pelennor Southern Gate. Best level of the game.

35 points · 1 year ago

Was it the level where it starts off showing Gandalfs hand resting on the castle?? I remember seeing that shit 100 times.

52 points · 1 year ago

That was Minas Tirith - Top Of The Wall. OP's talking about The Southern Gate later on.

Best thing with Top Of The Wall was playing as Pippin for the continuity lulz after Gandalf got so leveled up it became too easy.

36 points · 1 year ago

Top of the wall was the most trouble I had on any level then because I remember seeing that cutscene over and over after dying. You remember the game pretty well, was The Southern Gate harder than Minas Tirith?

Fuck no. Southern gate was pretty easy, and extremely fun. Minas Tirith top of the wall was one of the most difficult levels in the game. I can remember just barely shooting down one siege tower just to have another appear on the other side of the map. I hated that level with the fiery passion of 47281649.8 suns.

16 points · 1 year ago

Remember running down through the streets of Minas Tirith to the courtyard after beating that level to defend the gate? That level was also annoying but once you figured out that the fire javelins one-shot the trolls it was so much fun.

The courtyard was one of my favorites. When you had to fight the three trolls at once. So intense

5 more replies

Sounds like Southern Gate, maybe. Did you fight a mumak near the end and strike it repeatedly?

1 more reply

Same here (-: what a mess.. imagine if the bodies would not despawn

Comment deleted1 year ago(9 children)

I rage quit so many times fighting the king of the dead boss. Fuck that was hard.

Comment deleted1 year ago(0 children)

AHHHH I forgot about that! The horrible wonderful memories come flooding back. Honestly has probably been over a decade since I've played this.

57 more replies

413 points · 1 year ago

Even The Two Towers was dope as fuck.

I did NOT enjoy playing the fellowship of the god damn ring though.

95 points · 1 year ago

I was pretty young but it took me ages to even get out of the shire when the Nazgul was pursuing you

That part scared me when I was younger.

12 points · 1 year ago

THAT'S THE EXACT REASON I HATE THAT GAME

85 points · 1 year ago

That game was the worst. I don't think I ever got out of the Old Forest.

39 points · 1 year ago

I remember getting lost in Moria.

29 points · 1 year ago

Oh that's easy! You just have to take the path that smells less foul

7 points · 1 year ago

On my GBA copy of the game, I literally could not get out of Moria. There was a door that wouldn't open -_-

3 more replies

Anyone remember The Hobbit game? Was actually pretty fun even though it was so childish.

I love that game! Especially the Smaug level.

12 points · 1 year ago

The absolute best thing about The Hobbit game was its original soundtrack which some hero has uploaded to YouTube.

It's 14 years old and I still go back to listen to it every 6 months or so. It wouldn't sound out of place being the soundtrack for an epic fantasy movie... which is funny considering how quaint and caricaturish the game was.

3 more replies

It had nothing to do with the other 2 games. It was a separate release before the movies even came out, but yeah, that game was a fucking nightmare

14 more replies

230 points · 1 year ago

Throwing spears in this game was so satisfying

SLONGHHHHH!!

Plus you could pick them up off the ground after you threw them!

What.

5 points · 1 year ago

Sometimes, not all the time.

2.8k points · 1 year ago

This game was pretty good tbh.

548 points · 1 year ago

One of the few "Video Game Based On a Movie" that turned out really good.

Also Spiderman 2 for the PS2. That game had it all.

259 points · 1 year ago

Spiderman 2 is the reason I can't play any other spiderman games. The web slinging locomotion in that game was just perfect. I've yet to see another spiderman game get even remotely close to that satisfying feel of swinging through new york

I used to come home drunk and just swing all over the city forever.

Jeez Pete don't you think that's a little dangerous?

3 more replies

I would spend hours just swinging around the city not accomplishing anything.

34 more replies

Fuck yeah, I thought the King Kong game based on the Peter Jackson movie was fantastic too, these 3 are pretty much the trifecta of movie - game adaptations for me.

The Warriors deserves a spot up there

Wow I can't believe I managed to forget that one, you are absolutely correct.

11 points · 1 year ago

Warriors is by far the best movie game ever made in my opinion

25 points · 1 year ago

There's been a lot more good movie-based games than people give credit for. There's just so many bad ones that it skews the perception.

Others: Goldeneye, Chronicles of Riddick for Xbox, Aladdin, Lion King...

5 more replies

Someone's forgetting about the Prisoner of Azkaban game...

9 more replies

10 more replies

24 points · 1 year ago

I have only heard of the Legend that is Spiderman 2. I never played it, but I only heard great things. It still holds up as the best Web-Slinging Spiderman game, right?

It definitely set the gold standard for a Spiderman game which has not been matched since.

not just that. it's also the best superhero game ever.

(after the arkhams, ofc)

4 more replies

21 points · 1 year ago

Even cheat codes to play as the green goblin!

Losing a memory card didn't even matter either. Cuz all I had to do was get beyond the opening bit and then could spend hours swinging around NYC.

11 points · 1 year ago

I remember thinking that map was absolutely massive. I would love to go back and play it now to see how it holds up.

You'll probably be disappointed, I thought the GTA Vice City map was massive. It's really not

11 points · 1 year ago

Negative. That was the first spiderman game of that series.

6 more replies

8 more replies

16 more replies

I never played this, but I loved the Two Towers one. Was it basically the same format?

544 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Basically the same but more fleshed out. If you have access to a PS2 I would suggest picking it up. I might actually go dust my ps2 off and give it a go.

Edit to add: The game is apparently on pretty much any console/computer of that generation.

215 points · 1 year ago

Wasn't it also released on PC?

411 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Yes! My brother and I grew together as men, forged unbreakable in the battlefields of middle Earth.

20 points · 1 year ago

"I'll squash your children!" - Sam

That was a line that my brother and I will ALWAYS laugh at.

7 points · 1 year ago

You were always nice to me

Yeah, I own it on PC.

Seriously? Where can i get it?

I guess your best bet is trying to find a secondhand copy online and have it shipped to you. I don't know if it's available digitally.

Have you tried gog?

52 points · 1 year ago

Can confirm that it is not available on GOG.com :(

40 points · 1 year ago

If you've got a decent enough computer you can download the ps2 emulator pcsx2

You can also try a GameCube emulator if that one doesn't work for you.

22 points · 1 year ago

Just to clarify for people with lower end pcs it can be a nightmare. I downloaded it with Battlefront 2 on my old laptop and it was so laggy it was impossible to play.

I wish I could remember the specs - but Dora 2 used to have 50+ fps and CS GO with 40+ fps on the lowest possible graphics - so you can use that for a benchmark.

7 more replies

38 more replies

13 more replies

5 more replies

And GameCube.

38 points · 1 year ago

And my Axe!

And Xbox

28 points · 1 year ago

And my axe!

5 points · 1 year ago

I am pretty sure I have a copy on Game Cube. I think it was an "Every system" release.

22 more replies

36 points · 1 year ago

I had it on gamecube, so... If you have Access to a gamecube or a wii, i would suggest picking it up.

17 points · 1 year ago

2 games I wouldn't mind seeing in the PS2 classics list on PS4.

same here, but it's virtually impossible because of licensing.

21 more replies

The two towers game was amazing. I still think back to the helms deep level today. That and the fellowship of the ring game, all so great

23 points · 1 year ago

Where is the horse and the rider...

Heard that cinematic way, way too many times trying to beat that level.

4 more replies

Same! I always hear about ROTK but I only ever played (and still play) the two towers

18 more replies

i loved it, i preferred to battlefront. Just more into melee and medieval fantasy than sci fi and shooters.

Sounds like LoTR: Conquest.

RoTK was da bomb.

LOTR:Conquest had so much promise. I had dreamed of a game like that as a 12 yr old kid. Basically a cross of this ROTK game and Battlefront 2. And it never lived up to the hype :(

52 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

It was fine for what it was. But there could've been so much more, like, I don't know, playing as Sauron and destroying the Shire oh wait

honestly, I couldn't stand the block/parry mechanism. The scouts and warriors could pretty much endlessly block and there was no way to break through it without using the fire/power attack. And being an archer was just super boring as was the mage class.

1 more reply

I loved it as a teenager, I'll always remember a game assaulting Minas Tirith as Mordor and I hopped into a troll and went something like 68-2, the trick was to just spin in circles and throw enemies at archers.

I really do hope for a good Non EA company to pick up LOTR again, it deserves it

16 points · 1 year ago

That game was both simultaneously very bad and very good. But hey, it was fun and I kept coming back to it, so on balance it was great.

7 more replies

22 points · 1 year ago

Thank you for being honest.

1 more reply

I remember not being able to get past the first couple of levels in this game, still loved it though

Comment deleted1 year ago(8 children)
5 points · 1 year ago

What was harder, killing Gollum solo or co-op? I remember different levels were way harder for me solo compared to coop and vice versa.

Comment deleted1 year ago(0 children)

4 more replies

16 more replies

432 points · 1 year ago

My brothers and I would play this game for hours.

336 points · 1 year ago

Co-op was so much more fun than single player

119 points · 1 year ago

Especially when you took Frodo and Sam's journey. I swear, the first or second level at Osgillioth where there's an orc guarding the gate was impossible if you were trying to solo.

That's where you are meant to abuse your poison dagger throw or your cloak ability

It's amazing how well I remember this

48 points · 1 year ago

Southern Gate Legolas + Aragon

👊

26 points · 1 year ago

I played Gimli because I love dwarves in all fantasy settings. Then realized he was trash and had to pick aragorn because my brother always took Legolas.

3 more replies

I play this with my brother as well. He play Legolas and me Gandalf. I use my magic power while he uses arrows on everyone.

208 points · 1 year ago

I'm so happy we have shadow of murder and it's sequel coming. For a while lotr games weren't that great. This one was awesome though

Excellent typo.

It probably wasn't a typo. It's like Dishonored and Assassin's Creed had child and you're more powerful than both combined.

I never thought I could get bored murdering uruks...And I haven't.

2 more replies

Hopefully the ending of the sequel is not as lackluster.

Yeah shadow of mordor really lost its stride at the end. It was kind of fun being super overpowered, but it also trivialized every encounter. And it really could have used an actual boss fight at the end, but just hiding and sneak attacking some clones.

10 points · 1 year ago

Tell me about it! They REALLY shit the bed on the ending. You train up an army of warchiefs (some of them who were your personal nemesis turned ally, vegeta mode) and what do you get at the end if the game? Like 4 of them and some QTEs.

2 more replies

Besides murdering the canon lore, it's pretty good

13 more replies

320 points · 1 year ago

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Star Wars: Battlefront II

Star Wars: Jedi Academy III - Jedi Knight

Resident Evil 4

Call of Duty 2

Burnout: Revenge

The Matrix: Path of Neo

Need For Speed: Underground 2

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike

StarFox: Assault

Shadow of the Colossus

2004/2005 was truly a golden age.

''golden age''

36 points · 1 year ago

Are you threatening me master Jedi?

35 points · 1 year ago

Dew it

8 more replies

6 points · 1 year ago

Another LOTR game, Battle For Middle Earth came out in 2004!

56 more replies

This game ruined the "A" button on my GameCube controller....worth it

1 more reply

Man, I avoided this game because it got a bad review in one of my gaming magazines (main complaint was how hard the game was).

I see this game mentioned here and think I missed out.

It was hard. There was not a single level in that game that I beat my first time through (except the prologue). My brother and I would take turns trying to beat the levels and we would celebrate wildly when we finally got through one.

3 more replies

I never played this one but I see it all the time. I was always playing LOTR: The third age. Anybody else play that one?

71 points · 1 year ago

Still playing it to this day on emulator. I became so obsessed with getting Shield of Courage on berethor before Osgiliath that I now have it before finishing West moria... I'm grinding too much i think

Can I ask which emulator you use?

4 more replies

Jesus you think lol how long did that take you?!

2 more replies

I could never get passed helms deep, there was one battle where I wasn't a high enough level and the place I was locked me in, I must have spent a year trying to beat that same freaking battle

Helms Deep was honestly one of the hardest parts of the game. On the deeping wall you'd be hit by wave after wave AFTER WAVE of Uruks

4 more replies

38 points · 1 year ago

LOTR: The third age

Yeah but the game was really weird. Somewhere around the 40%-60% mark my party became wicked overpowered. My cloneagorn was basicly goku mixed with aragorn and gimli and he brought his even stronger magical friends with him.

Still the game was great fun

Upvoted at clonagorn.

2 more replies

Yes, loved that game. I miss it

I played a version of the Third Age on the GBA, it was a top down turn based strategy with some pretty cool mechanics.

2 more replies

The game was bugged for me i could never get the Gondor second age Shield. Every other item in the game I had But that one. Still bugs me to this day

I got stuck on some level in Moria fighting some goblin shaman that kept healing himself and it was an endless battle. Gave up after that. I did like the open world aspect though.

I had this exact same problem, until I realised I had been neglecting Idrial's spirit powers... just endlessly casting Aura/Power of the Valar and Haste of the Elves was my tactic throughout the game

6 more replies

Both games were fucking awesome.

I remember being stuck on the Balrog fight when I was 9 years old or so, then bringing a friend over and kicking his (the balrog's!) ass.

Even replayed it recently, but through an emulator.

18 more replies

Recently have been going through a LotR kick and downloaded RotK, TTT, and The Third Age on the Dolphin emulator. Great games but they can be hard as fuck.

9 points · 1 year ago

third age is hard as fuck around half way. Than suddenly you are OP as fuck.

4 more replies

31 points · 1 year ago

One of the few games that did coop mode properly

3 more replies

I got scared and quit when I had to run through the cave with the giant spiders as Sam to save Frodo.

24 points · 1 year ago

Fuck the mammoth level where you had to blindly throw the spear off a mini cliff.

Absolute legendary game.

LoTR: Conquest is also pretty good!

8 more replies

Raise your hand if you leveled up Legolas first, then Gandalf.

Then Aragorn. Then Faramir.

Then maybe Gimli if you were feeling bold.

...then Frodo, Sam...Merry, Pippin for those truly committed.

29 points · 1 year ago

accurate

Gandalf was a wrecking ball in that game when powered up

12 points · 1 year ago · edited 1 year ago

Those staff energy blasts bruh

Legolas with those purple-hued arrows that pierced enemies was the way to go. Felt like cheating in the later levels

16 points · 1 year ago

Hand raised for faramir

Yes! He was the shit! Was functionally identical to Aragorn but had a better bow.

15 points · 1 year ago

A levelled up Hobbit was a really fun play through. The invisibility cloak on Frodo and Sam in particular was OP as fuck.

1 more reply

Legolas and Gandalf first for sure. Both their ranged attacks were so busted. Legolas kills two at a time. And Gandalf could kill a fucking balrog with one fully charged shot.

12 more replies

16 points · 1 year ago

Me and my Dad loved playing this game. My favorite level for us to play was the the gate one where the enemies where near endless. He would play as Gimli and I as Legolas amd would have a running talley against each other. And whenever I whipped out my bow and took down the troll he would do his Gimli voice "It still only counts as one."

Fun times.

27 points · 1 year ago

This, Battlefront 2, Destroy All Humans & Mercenaries were all that were needed to keep me busy as a kid.

13 points · 1 year ago

If there was ever a reboot, I would hope for mercenaries. That game was the cause of my first erection.

9 more replies

4 more replies

dae play this popular game that sold millions of copies and was played by millions of people

7 more replies

228 points · 1 year ago

DAE play this hidden gem?

16 points · 1 year ago

Would be surprised if this isn't already on /r/shitpost

LEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEMLEGEM^

14 more replies

The Black Gate was so fucking difficult

8 more replies

I was 12 when this game came out and I remember helping my door stairs neighbor move some boxes and I saw this on pause in his living room. Intrigued, I asked to play. Over the next month, I was at his house playing this game non stop.

Not many button mashers give you not only good lure, but good RPG elements to make your characters unique like this game did. Personally, I like this game better than SoM.

When I was a kid my mum made my older brother let me play with him. He would tell me to stand in the corner and tap x (the parry button, effectively meaning I was useless but at least I didn't die and throw the mission).

3 more replies

Spent countless sleepovers binge playing this legend of a game.

That damned running level though. Ugh.

Oh i remember that ghost level, so fun.

3 more replies

I had that game when I was younger. I never managed to finish it, though

... for Frodo.

7 more replies

658 more replies

A subreddit for (almost) anything related to games - video games, board games, card games, etc. (but not sports).

r/gaming Rules
Not directly gaming related.
Bandwagon or direct reply post.
Piracy.
Unmarked spoiler / Unmarked NSFW.
Giveaway / Trade / Contest / Item for sale.
Not original source.
Spam / Excessive self-promotion
Crowd funding "reminder" post.
Bigotry.