Reddit Feeds

Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Seeing this for the first time is one of the best “holy shit” moments in gaming history

For me it was when my skier get eaten by the yeti.

I remember dropping behind the scenery for the first time in Mario 3 and having my kind completely BLOWN.

I never really thought anything of it, but thinking back to those NES days, it actually was... amazing. Like getting further than you ever had before in whatever game. That feeling of wonder.

I wonder what blows kids minds in games these days...

56 points·4 months ago

I felt slightly childlike while playing Zelda BOTW. I can only imagine was an 8 year old might feel while playing that game.

40 points·4 months ago

That game will be someone's OOT.

Playing OOT in 97 as a 13 year old was seriously nirvana.

15 points·4 months ago·edited 4 months ago

Shit, dawg, I was 8 when I played it and it blew my damn mind apart. I had a Sega Genesis before that so I didn't even have the classics to compare it to.

When Majora's Mask came around and those huge-ass fish came out of the caves in Gerudo Cove my relationship with thalassophobia began. Doing one of many replays of OoT years later I accidentally jumped into Morpha and I nearly had a heart attack.

Also, several years ago I dropped my gold holographic Majora's Mask copy on the floor unpacking it from a move and just died inside. Not even for the collectibility. It was my only copy.

The new wonder for me in modern gaming would be cinematic kill cams and situational executions.

After killing hundreds of dragons at range via PC and Nintendo Switch I just discovered unique prolonged and incredibly well choreographed melee executions.

I mean dude, it showed me climbing up its head, straddling it and stabbing it in the eye viscously until the beast collapsed.

Just today hours ago I found this same 'wow' moment.

My current wonder is the 3D rendering technique Arc System Works has developed to make the Guilty Gear franchise (and upcoming Dragonball FighterZ) look like a hand-drawn anime with cinematic cutscenes. I was so saddened about the death of hand-drawn sprite work until I saw the Guilty Gear Xrd trailer. Then goosebumps. (Daisuke Ishiwatari's awesome music was also a contributing factor.)

6 more replies

6 more replies

2 more replies

subtlety, it's the only thing they're never exposed to in modern games.

Man, you remember that time young people were exposed for the first time to a game like Dark Souls? :D

Yup. It was called Demon’s Souls!

3 more replies

Unless they play breath of the wild.

4 more replies

you mean you never saw The Wizard?

Not long after I saw the movie, I strongly considered how he knew to do that considering it was the first time the world saw it. Autism can only take you so far when it comes to discovering warp whistles in smb3

ain't that the truth

5 more replies

8 more replies

Press 'F' to go fast, and get away from him.

Pays respect instead

"Press [SPACE] to say 'Apple'"

F Tryin to make a change :-\

15 points·4 months ago

Turns out all the yeti wanted was some respect

Little known fact: You could also press the down arrow to do the same thing.

TIL people played that game a different way.

Did you know, most points came from pressing up and standing under the ski lift?

F

U

N

G

Comment deleted4 months ago(7 children)

L

S

5 more replies

4 more replies

for me it was when sephiroth fell down from an unexpectedly high place and it didn't go so well

As always, relevant xkcd.

13 more replies

Immediately preceded by "I wonder why the ground dips down like that."

I would love to know the percentage of players that died upon their very first encounter with Banzai Bill

TIL big Bullet Bill is called Banzai Bill

Yup. Only bills with a mouth, too.

Other bullets/Bills with mouths: King Bill, Bouncing Bullet Bill, Bullet Biff, Cat Banzai Bill, Mad Banzai Bill

Then there's also Torpedo Ted and all his variants.

TIL King Bill is terrifying.

"Eyes that follow your movements", oh hell no.

2 more replies

I am sure I was one, at least.

Recently replayed Super Mario world on SNES Classic. You can out me in the died on first encounter. Jumped straight into that mofo

3 more replies

Yep. I remember saying WTF is that.

And now I say. I know I can get a cape and fly through most of this level or the get ole grab cape start select trick.

I used to play this game with my dad. He was proficient with the cape, but was never willing to teach me how to use it. I couldn't figure it out for myself, though. In January 2010, he passed away. I still don't know how to fly with the cape.

Hold 'y' to run, then hold 'b' to soar into the air, and as you start to come down, tap either left or right (whichever button is opposite the direction you're flying) in order to bounce up. Repeat every time you start to descend.

D...dad?

Wow that's 29,756 coins until it stops!

Almost got me. :(

I can't believe he would try to do that to you... it's only 29,755 coins.

5 points·4 months ago

Fuck you son, I'm the king of the world!

No, it's D-Pad.

1 more reply

The most challenging thing in the game for me is the secret exit to what my sister and I called the "saw level," I think it was cheese bridge, where you have to go UNDER the first ribbon and you get a 3-up moon and the secret exit ribbon.

I do it with the cape and your timing has to be absolutely perfect to fly over the whole level, do a dive at the right moment, then with perfect timing catch the wind and pop back up.

It's the only level I refuse to sacrifice a Yoshi to.

I remember that level... You beat it, and as Mario is doing his victory walk, you see signs pointing to the exit...

13 more replies

If you spin there's a 50 50 chance to turn around

13 more replies

Hit the boxes with pineapples and read the tips. Each box explains something you can do.

pineapples

Those are speakers, son.

Sure, they look like speakers now, but 7 yr old me saw fucking pineapples 20+ years ago.

That must have been pretty traumatic for a kid, walking in on a couple of pineapples fucking. At least it wasn't your parents.

I kid, but I did something similar at that age for Secret of Mana. I thought a female sprite was a man in womans clothes for years, because I misjudged her mouth as a mustache. I still cannot unsee that to this day.

Going on with childhood stories, I saw the movie rocky horror picture Show, saw Micheal Lee Aday get chopped up, and from then on always thought he had no legs for about 5 years because everyone let me believe it. Funny now but then I was pissed. Lol

Edit I'm a big fan of the band meat loaf.

Meatloaf. Fuck yea.

3 more replies

1 more reply

I have played through this game once or twice a year every year for 25 years and I had NEVER thought they were speakers. O_O

My entire life has been a lie

For almost thirty years, I've believed they were pineapples. I just played it and they're clearly speakers and I don't know what is real anymore.

I couldn't stop laughing. I thought for a second I was wrong calling them speakers this whole time and then your post.

1 more reply

Boxes with pineapples? Wut? You mean the speakers?

16 bit graphics leaves much to the imagination.

Almost. 16-bit processor, 15-bit graphics palette (32k colors), 256x224 resolution or about 2x2" at the resolution of modern monitors. About the size of an app icon on a smartphone.

2 more replies

+1 for the "thought it was a pineapple" people.

Please for gods sake post an image. I can’t find and image anywhere

3 more replies

...Oh my god.

I though it was a stop light!

I always saw basketballs

1 more reply

Dude, I thought they were pineapples too for way too long.

Intended as: Hit the boxes with the pineapple texture on them

Read and Perceived as: Throw pineapples at the boxes and read the tips

1 more reply

Run until your arms stretch out. Jump and hold jump. Continue pressing the run button and the direction you want to go. Once mario starts to dive bomb, continue to hold Run and press back on the d-pad to pull up. Time the pulls correctly to gain altitude.

14 more replies

6 more replies

42 points·4 months ago·edited 4 months ago

Just want to point out that capes aren't available until Donut Island 1. This is on Yoshi Island with only 1 way to beat the level, so unless you're going for Yoshi coins on every level or the hidden moon at the top of the map, there's not much reason to actually play this level with a cape.

Edit: I guess you could rush the castle and skip the yellow block palace, get a cape and then return. You do you. I usually rush the block palaces and star road...

There's a 3up moon in the sky iirc. No vines so you have to get it with a cape

Yep, I mentioned that. While it's there, if you need lives it's a lot better to exploit Vanilla Secret 2, but you need a cape for that, too.

How do you run out of lives? Top secret, infinite lives.

There again, that works but Vanilla Secret 2 is much faster.

2 more replies

Thanks. It was so long ago. Of course memories will be fuzzy with all the details.

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Original Poster168 points·4 months ago

Totally. For me I was playing the display snes in a department store and got killed by this the first time. 10 year old me just stood with my jaw dropped for a few seconds.

3 more replies

1 more reply

Or just spin-jump and blow that motherfucker up.

7 more replies

This was my profile picture on FB after ending a relationship. She wasn't thrilled.

I get it! It's because her name was Bill!

Comment deleted4 months ago(5 children)
Comment deleted4 months ago(0 children)

I read this in Goldmember's voice

I find it helps to read all comments in Goldmember's voice.

1 more reply

And when you saw it for the first time in Odyssey was a great "awwwwwwyessss" one.

78 points·4 months ago

The one in the moon cave where it's breaking through the wall, great moment.

Yes! I absolutely thought that was a fantastic callback to the moment OP posted, and felt just as crazy. That game handled nostalgia extremely well.

I loved these moments where my old instincts just told me what to do. Knowing where exactly there is an invisible block in 8-bit mode or looking up at the ceiling in peach's castle. Awesome!

I was SO excited that looking at the ceiling in the castle actually gave a Moon

I nearly peed

And then the second WTF is when you jump on it and it dies like everything else when you jump on it haha

haha yah! I remember the moment, after only ever coming across small bullet bills, and being like HOLY SHIT and jumping instinctively just to land on it and it bwomp away. haha, it was definitely a holy shit moment just followed up by hysterical laughter.

127 points·4 months ago

My first “holy shit” moment as a kid was fighting Queen Gohma in OOT for the first time. Seeing the spiders in the deku tree had me feeling pretty nervous, but after seeing Queen Gohma I was like “AW HELL NAW”

Mine was seeing that isometric view of Terra walking with those mechs in the snow with her theme playing in the opening scene of FFVI.

That music still gives me the chills.

The raft, the train, the opera house, moogle town. Such a great and innovative game.

Suplexing a train is still one of the most bad ass things you can do in a video game.

2 more replies

I'm playing it for the first time right now. It's amazing. So much packed into that game. So much to learn and discover and things to miss out on.

I read a walkthrough when I'm having a bit of trouble and then see all the freaking weapons and other options I passed up haha. Fun and infuriating.

The snes classic was by far my favorite Christmas present.

P.S. I just turned 30. Love me some classic RPGs.

To this day I still think about that game at least once a week.

FFVI is truly one of the great RPGs. Without spoiling anything, the events surrounding the turning point in the game and the finality of it have IMO never been matched.

"On that day the world changed forever."

God I wish I didn't suck at Final Fantasy.

How do you suck at a turn-based, grind-oriented RPG? You can just brute force that shit.

4 points·4 months ago

That’s been on my to play list for awhile now...I should get to it while I’m on vacation.

1 more reply

I'm terrified of bugs. Ive gotten better with dealing with my fear when playing games. Working my way through the Deku Tree was harrowing. I couldn't ever face the babies. Like the 3 eggs on the ceiling in that one room. I used to have my mom beat that part for me. When I finally got to Gohmas room I was confused. I then looked up. She dropped down. I ran screaming from the room and didn't pick the game up for several months.

3 points·4 months ago(5 children)

My problem is with bugs that can fly. I apply a special exception to a few bugs, mostly butterflies and moths (yes, I know people think moths are disgusting, but come on, I'd rather have one slip in my house then a bee, roach, etc.)

Anything that reliably walks, and I have no problem handling. I'd rather you ask me to remove a dangerous snake from your cabinet then kill a bee in your house. Therefore, yes, spiders are in fact heroes, because flying insects hate them.

4 more replies

Queen Gohma

How did you feel about The Shadow Temple and Bongo Bongo?

6 points·4 months ago

I didn’t mind him tbh. It was mostly queen Gohma I was afraid of. Plus after I wanna say Jabu Jabu’s Belly? I was a little shit and bought a players guide since I didn’t know what to do and basically spoiled the game for me.

The player's guide didn't really ruin it for me. I got it with the game because that was the subscription package for Nintendo Power i begged for that year. To be fair, I really sucked at reading at the time and pretty much just looked at pictures. I also got Pokemon Gold this way, but by then I could read.

7 more replies

4 more replies

Yea, good one.. for me one of my first WTF was in Goldeneye where you can shoot a dude in the foot and he ACTUALLY HOPS like you shot his foot.. that was a first. Most games since that has had to do something similar.

Original Poster6 points·4 months ago

Not to mention the rumble pak!

First wtf for me has to be the moment in the original Zelda when the hands come out of the wall and chase you. I remember watching my mom play and she screamed as soon as they came out after her.

1 more reply

If this kind of enemy is on the first level, I don't want to see what's on level 96.

Super Mario World didn't have 96 levels. It had 96 exits.

Explain

Many levels had multiple exits.

Connecting the Star Road was one of my favorite moments in 30 years of gaming.

yeah that and the fact that it changed all the sprites to some weird and crazy shit was pretty awesome

I don't think completing star road does this. I'm pretty sure it's when you finish all 8 stages of the special area, which you use the star road to access.

14 points·4 months ago·edited 4 months ago

Oh my god the fucking tubular level is the bane of my existence. I finally beat that level only to have the data erased. It took me just as long to beat it the second time as the first time. Beating that level was definitely a peak of my childhood.

That one was brutal.

3 more replies

That's what I actually meant, but linked the wrong thing. The YOU ARE A SUPER PLAYER mosaic thing in coins was really awesome and felt like an actual achievement

5 points·4 months ago·edited 4 months ago

I remember when I first discovered the first bit of the special levels. It was super late, and I should have been in bed. But then I found it! I was astounded! I didnt know what it was, but it seemed super secret and amazing! I couldnt beat any of the levels that night, so I went to bed anxiously waiting for morning to tell my siblings about it.

3 more replies

Basically, if it was a red circle on the map then you know it had multiple exits, so look for a key so look for a key or another way out. There are 24 hidden exit levels.

Don't forget the ghost houses, most of them had secret exits too!

Found the dalek

Exterminate!!

Delete!

1 more reply

I really don't think kiddos can understand what stuff like this meant.

We weren't used to big things. Consoles just couldn't handle giant sprites. Developers could fake things with background layers and shit. But basically everything on the nes was small. Every port of an arcade game was... small.

Then comes the SNES with giant sprites and mode 7. Changed everything.

This was the golden era of gaming. When developers and designers finally had the storage and horsepower to see their vision make it to the gamer without compromise.

...21 year old here. This post suprised me, yes, but the more I think about it the more get it.

I totally understand what you mean about creative freedom. When I started playing through big SNES games a few years ago, one of my first thoughts was actually how mind-blowingly huge of a jump there had been. I remember playing through Super Metroid and thinking "goddamn, they really nailed the atmosphere of this". I remember playing Chrono Trigger and thinking "Wow, this is just a great story. Also, wow, that whole opening sequence."

It was an eye-opening experience for me to play those games because they made me appreciate that the SNES was truly the pinnacle of 2D gaming. It was first time that devs could actually have a pretty grandiose vision and execute it. I've never appreciated things like Bullet Bill here as much because platformers are so universal, but thinking back to what came before, I can just imagine the "Oh hell, that's huge!" as kids ducked for cover. I think that's part of why there was so much obvious love and care put into SNES games... It was just an exiting time.

1 more reply

This was my first holy shit moment.

I remember being so afraid of the Wompas in Shadows of the Empire on N64

Remember that first time you hit that switch in Echo Base that opened the three Wampa cages?

I sure as fuck do.

1 more reply

Mine has to be in Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily Stage 1, where you climb up to the top of the tower, you're jumping from one block to the next, and then all of a sudden a fucking dragon appears behind you, knocking all the platforms to the black void below.

My dad still to this day makes fun of me for my reaction to that as a kid. I’m 35.

Your dad obviously never tried to beat that level.

all the while being like "Holy fuck this music is MOST EXCELLENT!!!"

Lmao picturing a little kid describe the music as "most excellent"

AKA a kid playing Mega Man 2 when it was new.

1 more reply

I still listen to that soundtrack on a monthly basis

2 more replies

I distinctively remember someone yelling "it looks like it had a saddle, I think you can ride it!".......nope

Wow, I can't believe that was only mega man 2

Comment deleted4 months ago(1 child)
Original Poster3 points·4 months ago

Bold words but I think you win because music.

Jak n Daxter one heartbeats in the water...

Omg yes! That scared the shit out of me as a kid!

Mine is the first Silent Hill and going down that alleyway. My high school friend suggested I borrow it and play it. I had no idea what kind of game it was. Oh man lol. I also have to mention Silent Hill 2. At first I thought the game was a little dull, especially compared to the first, but then you get to the hotel and room 312... The first Silent Hill shocked and scared me. Silent Hill 2 shook my soul and pysche.

14 points·4 months ago·edited 4 months ago

I always felt like I needed a smoke break after beating a boss and the world went back to normalish. I'd pause the game and take a walk until my hands stopped shaking.

9 points·4 months ago·edited 4 months ago

One of my favorite games of all time. The atmosphere, combined with the terrifying music, always does it in for me.

I beat 2, 3, and 4 in high school, but I had to turn all the lights on in my room and turn the volume all the way down, otherwise I'd be shitting myself.

I always recommend SH2 to anyone who wants to get spookt.

edit: also, scariest moment was in SH4, in the hospital. The room. Yeah, that one. With the face. Jumped out of my skin.

Oh man, when. You beat the boss in the hospital, and the game goes first person, and you're wheeled outside, hearing your deadwife whisper "James" and the sirens are blaring...

So freaking cool / scary!

Or hearing the fight in the hotel...

Biggest holy shit moment was when final fantasy 7 came out the materia summons were like whoaaa..then came the aeris death..i cry everytime....then knights of the round......WTF DID I JUST DO!

Counter Mime Knights of the Round!

x2 Materia

3 more replies

I was just replaying this the other day. I grew up with Super Mario World. My older brother and I could probably beat it with our eyes closed.

My older brother and I could probably beat it with our eyes closed.

While I don't recommend this game for this kind of thing, blindfolded/no-vision playthroughs of games you've loved can be pretty interesting/unique experiences. I'd say its worth at least trying on a few games you've adored, especially if there are mechanics that can hint to you where you are (think Ocarina of Time sword thonks).

1 more reply

Mario 3 tank level - at the end when there is just a giant cannon shooting right at you.

For me it was the zombies in ravenholm in Half Life 2

That wasn't my first "oh shit" gaming moment but Ravenholm is still up there along with when you get the pheropods/pheromones.

you must be a significantly younger game then

Well my first game I really got into was CNC95 when I was 7 and I’m 27 now but just as far as jaw dropping moments in games goes it was HL2

3 more replies

There are a lot of moments where I feel like I've gone 'huh' or 'whoa' but when you're a kid you normally have pretty good reaction times to duck or jump outta the way.

I remember playing Dark Souls and seeing Gaping Dragon start to come out and going 'I've made a huge mistake.'

The sound of the bullet firing too.

I remember being in awe of the sprite size. Something like 128x128

Yup. My sister and I got a SNES with Mario World and Act Raiser the Christmas of 91. My sister really wanted to play Mario. I remember watching her get to that part and are jaws dropping. We couldn't believe how easily we died. We paid way better attention the rest of the day. ActRaiser was way cheaper at times though. The controls were imprecise. The bosses had spammy mechanics. Yet, 10-year-old me played it constantly. I still hum the music from the the ice stage (apparently it's called Northwall now that I googled it). I always wished that game had gotten a proper sequel and not ActRaiser 2.

Upvote for making me remember Actraiser.

1 more reply

Kingdom Hearts 2... Xemnas' bowl of laser beams....

16 points·4 months ago

Yeah, it was... if you'd never played Mario 3, where there was an entire world of massively hugely oversized enemies. This was just "oh, it's a giant bullet bill, I wonder if they have the giant turtles and goombas too?"

My first thought was Dire, Dire, Docks in Super Mario 64...I damn near pooped my corduroys when the giant eel first popped out...Great times!

p.s. The music in that game was so epic...I listen to Dire Dire Docks on loop when I need to go into concentrate mode at work

1 more reply

My most vivid, early childhood memories was the reaction from my mom when I accidentally deleted her save file from this game.

Just beat the entire game yesterday. Games aren’t made like this anymore.

⭐96?

B-TAH!

"Fuckfuckfuck-" brrrrrrrrrr "Safe."

I just played some World a few hours ago Mario was and always will be ‘gaming’ personified

That game was so good.

For me it was logging into my first MMO and not knowing what an MMO is. Mind. Blown.

2 more replies

I actually saw this huge bullet on the local evening news, shortly after the SNES was released in '91.

To a 7 year old, it really conveyed the message that the SNES was more powerful than my puny NES, and that I NEEDED ONE RIGHT NOW.

The first time you felt the rumble pack playing StarFox64. Revolutionary.

Around that same time I was more blown away with Castlevania where simon could hang on a block and the whole level would rotate around him.

Mine was in MegaMan Legends 2. I was probably 8 or 9 at the time? I have a slight phobia of being surrounded by water. Well...there was an underwater dungeon that I managed to brave over the heart pounding course of an hour or so. I get to the boss door and just shut it off. I couldn't do it. I played it a few months later it wasn't QUITE as bad anymore since I completed most of it the first time around.

1 more reply

always thought that was a weird enemy to start the game off with. There is this whole game theory about the goomba in the first mario and how you learn all the mechanics of the game from this small easy to defeat enemy. And here you get this big giant bullet shot at you as a way of saying "fuck you, this isn't your mammies mario!"

The first enemy isn't a Banzai Bill anyways. It's a Koopa without a shell that slides off of that elevated sloped platform.

A new player might kill that enemy or jump over it. In the former case they learn some enemies can be killed that way. Then they meet the Banzai Bill, a large enemy you can't easily jump over. Afterward you see a Rex which is the hardest enemy to fight so far as it takes two hits to kill and runs faster after the first. These three enemies were chosen as it introduces new players to three types of enemies off the bat.

In the second level, it introduces normal Koopas with an abundance of shells to kick, even introducing them in the first screen of the stage

Really, both stages are just tutorials and they do that job well.

4 more replies

I remember they had this shot in Nintendo Power before the SNES was released and it said the extra X and Y buttons on the controller will have the ability to make anything in all games become larger or smaller (as if it was the X button that made Bill huge).* I was so disappointed when that ended up being completely false.

Note: I was like 8 years old at the time so there's probably a good chance what I thought I understood as I read the magazine was not what was actually written.

"BaBOOM!"

1 more reply

When I was a nugget and played SMW, I always had to look away when the Game Over screen came on... completely terrified me, I can recall the nightmares.

Donkey Kong Country gameover screens were a bit terrifying as well.

6 more replies

How about in Last of Us when you fall into the flooded hotel basement and walk down that hallway. At this point you've been fighting humans for quite a while and you've almost forgotten you're in a zombie game. So you're wading down this dark hallway and suddenly there's this noise that gets louder and louder and then you see this rush of rats, shrieking together and swimming toward you out of the darkness ahead... swimming away from something.

in gaming history

Wow, calm down.

How can he calm down when there's a giant bullet heading his way?

2 more replies

That would be a quick time event these days.

177 more replies

A subreddit for (almost) anything related to games - video games, board games, card games, etc. (but not sports).

r/gaming Rules

Not directly gaming related.
Bandwagon or direct reply post.
Piracy.
Unmarked spoiler / Unmarked NSFW.
Giveaway / Trade / Contest / Item for sale.
Not original source.
Spam / Excessive self-promotion
Crowd funding "reminder" post.
Bigotry.