too hard

1.8k comments

I guess making original content is as well

*GODLIKE

MEGAKILL

ULTRAKILL

Nothing says UT99 like standing on top of the tower on Facing Worlds sniping bots

Bonus points if you snipe both the enemy team and your own.

Duuuuude... That flashback hit me hard.

Facing Worlds. Man. One of the bestworst maps ever designed.

HEAD SHOT!

HEAD SHOT!

HEAD SHOT!

4 more replies

UT99 memories for me are fantastic, as it was the first game my dad & I ever played together. Easily put 1000 hours into the game.

One could say it was...

Unreal

I'llshowmyselfout

Holy shit. UT99 was my fucking favorite. Probably what started my poor study and sleeping habits at the age of 9. All that gore and scantily clad bots at such a young age, I’m surprised I got away with it.

I remember I came across a server with nude bots and I was thinking about how much trouble I was going to be in... and then I downloaded the same skins and installed them on my computer the next day and played with naked bots.

1 more reply

Specifically with the low-gravity mod activated!

What memories.

Instagib!

13 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Nothing says UT99 like guiding a Redeemer warhead through the tunnels on LavaGiant and wiping out the enemy base (apart from what u/Innalibra said)

This game was a masterpiece

11 more replies

16 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

thanks valve for paying for having these officially in DotA2

LULULULUDACRUS KILLKILLKILL

10 more replies

13 more replies

Mastuhpiece

KNACKSTERPIECE

9 more replies

Mate this is r/gaming I don't think OC exists here

It's repost after repost after repost.

2 more replies

Behold the smoldering remains of a repost.

Very meta. Comment itself is not OC

I don’t get why it’s so hard for people to make an original comment. For example, here is a phrase never before typed on the Internet:

Pink fuzzlemuzzle burrito smoothie building speedrun tempostorm.com Batman.

It’s not hard, people.

19 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Pink fuzzlemuzzle burrito smoothie building speedrun tempostorm.com Batman.

It’s not hard, people.

EDit: I just posted it 10 times.

8 more replies

2 more replies

Yeah, this is a good 2 months old... Where's my cane?

During the EA circle jerk finding OC was harder than liking a game instead of complaining.

37 more replies

Just started playing Cuphead tonight. It's rage inducing.

Get smoke bomb asap.

And Roundabout

You misspelled charge.

Wasn't Charge nerfed? I mean its still strong, but Roundabout/Spread is the best combo.

Obviously depends on the boss. Pirate boss on expert became trivial to me once I started using Charge.

For me, Roundabout was ace for that boss.. but both are really strong in my opinion. Sometimes I run both!

To be continued...

Roundabout is great. I've gotten way more use out of the 1 and 2 extra hearts than smokebomb, but that's just me.

Smoke bomb = I frames. That will always be the best in any game.

9 more replies

9 more replies

Wait til island 3. I feel like people who played/reviewed that game quit after halfway or something. Island 3 is just not fun.

The dragon is where most people i know put the game down ateast for a while.

The dragon was my favorite boss. I thought it was a good mixture of challenging gameplay. Some of the bosses on island 3 felt like un fun RNG machines.

Looks at robot

The dragon wasn't too big of an issue for me, but the queen bee was a tough one for me and I'm stuck on the Captain right now.

Tip: Use chargeshot. That boss is almost impossible without it

10 more replies

I almost chucked my computer down the stairs because of that goddamn robot

The flying levels are not fun already, and that one is just awful.

Aw, the flying levels are my favorites. But maybe I'm just weird.

Yeah I liked the making yourself small and fast to get out of a jam mechanic.

8 more replies

22 more replies

Use lobber against the dragon, easy dub

2 more replies

For me at least, auto parry is a godsend.

Every boss is really hard until you learn the attack patterns. Sometimes you get stuck in positions that seem impossible, but there is a way out. After you finally beat a boss though, I find that I can go back to it and beat it again rather easily.

11 more replies

11 more replies

But if you don't complain about a game..... did you really play it

If a game is developed in a forest, but there's no one around to complain about it. Was there even really a game at all?

M-mayb... ye-... no... wait, yes. No, maybe.

Do we even exist at all or we all bots?

Well I don't know about you, but I'm an NPC.

What a playable character that's locked behind a paywall would say

6 more replies

3 more replies

Tbh, i kinda agree with this in a non-sarcastic way. Like even the most perfect games have shitty things in them that could've been an easy fix. Of course nit-picky people are pretty intolerable though. "I don't approve of the plot twist, i would've much preferred [random trope] to fit [my specific version of the lore]". But then the other side of the spectrum is even worse, blindly defending a game and calling out people for pointing out valid issues. Like cmon man, even I didn't like the weapon-switch system in botw.

My only complaint about botw weapon switching (I'm about a week into the game now) is that I wish it would automatically switch to the next weapon when the one you are holding breaks. Otherwise it's not that bad.

I dunno...I could see that getting irritating if you auto switch to a fire rod or something in the midst of a messy fight and break it by accidentally smacking some monster in the head with it.

But yeah, I'm a few weeks in and don't have any serious complaints on it. I don't have a lot to compare it to though, so perhaps I just don't know what I'm missing.

13 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago
  • Your weapons break in like 10 hits, forcing you to constantly stop your plans to find more

• You have to reselect food ingredients every damn time you make a dish.

• Champion perks (or whatever they're called) don't start recharging until you waste all charges.

Phew, I feel better.

6 more replies

9 more replies

Maybe it's because I was already more familiar with the series, but DS3 definitely seemed like the easiest installment.

I don't think the game was actually easier than its predecessors, but the QoL changes (eg you can actually hit enemies in a hallway) and improvements to the combat system made it more friendly to play.

Yeah, that's a fair comment. Obviously it's not an easy game, but as you said, your strategies are more effective when your tools work the way they are supposed to.

I would also say that the world design seemed a bit more intuitive - I never found myself to be lost, or have gone the entirely wrong way, like in DS1

I spent hours in DS1 trying to beat all of the skeletons in the graveyard, as soon as I got out of the undead asylum. I just assumed it was part of the difficulty that everyone was hyped for.

Me too, the hyped difficulty wasn't quite fair, and caused some confusion. If you are stuck, then you might just be going the wrong way. Unless it's Anor Londo. F*ck you archers.

Except for that Dark Souls is all about learning to fight smarter, not harder. And fashion. Actually... Dark Souls is about dress up, and also some fighting.

Dark souls is medieval fashion simulator with action RPG elements.

Dark Souls pvp is all about looking better than your opponent. If someone who doesn't look as good as you kills you, did he really win anything?

Fashion Souls is important.

16 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

*rhythm game elements

1 more reply

Fashion Souls: Where doing a boss fight with or without armor makes little difference-what really matters is how you look when you finally smite those beasts

17 more replies

Same here.

37 more replies

I got to a stage where I managed to get the first 4 off the cliff. Then I walked into a giant skeleton and put the game down for a few months.

Ended up playing through DS1 3 times, and 2/3 twice each.

7 more replies

Comment deleted7 months ago(14 children)

I went the way of skeletons, tried the other way, saw it was much easier and went back the way of the skeletons because I had to do it.

2 more replies

happened to me, quit DS1 back when it was newish because of this.

luckily I found the series many years later and fell in love.

I also quit the game for about 6 months because I tried to beat the graveyard after leaving the asylum. I mean, I chalk it up to games conditioning me to take the most obvious path... And that graveyard was much more obvious to me than the cliffside I didn't know about until I was complaining about it months later and someone informed me about it.

8 more replies

I get the feeling that that's a big part of why the difficulty was hyped as much as it was, when really the difficulty of that area is meant to say "hey maybe go somewhere else", so it became a self feeding cycle of people assuming that was just how hard it was meant to be, then telling others it's super hard, so they think that's where you're supposed to go, and then telling more people how hard it is.

It's definitely a difficult game, but not nearly to the height that some people said.

A lot of older RPGs had that. Instead of locking you out of an area until you had Special Key #7 or had watched Cutscene #42 it was just filled with hard to kill monsters that discouraged you from travelling there until you were capable of taking them on.

For a more modern example, the Deathclaws between Good Springs and The Strip in New Vegas.

Man on my subsequent play throughs I loved to run past the cazadores and deathclaws to get to that area so much faster. I really liked how it didn't box you away from that path with invisible walls

11 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

No kidding. People fucking over hype the difficulty of Dark Souls way too much.

It's definitely a challenge, but that's a byproduct of making the game rewarding and compelling to play.

The hardest part of the game is that there are certain mechanics and stats to deal with that you have to read a guide on or else the game's a lot more challenge.

Endurance - Pumping points into it first, followed by levelling Health. Both make the game considerably easier.

Block % damage absorption. Understanding that a 100% Block makes dealing with enemies so much simpler helps so much.

DS 3 and Bloodborne were better in that they removed a lot of the unintuitive dependency on those things. Block for DS3 was weaker and Stamina not the be all end all first stat to max.

Don't give up, skeleton!

Try tongue but hole

Amazing trap ahead! Gwyndolin best waifu

I member.

12 more replies

But I think that it's part of the fun of DS1, is you could go to areas you're theoretically completely unprepared for and beat them.

Exactly!

I spent so much time killing the hydra because I thought that was surely the way I was suppose to go! Killed it and found the empty cave and a merchant spawned. Was mad I spent so much time, but the experience was fun as hell.

6 more replies

That's part of DS1's charm was how interconnected the world was. The problem was the lack of direction, even talking to NPC's wasn't all that helpful for directions. I really enjoyed how you could see the next area if it would be visible, or how the different hidden elevators made a real transport system with the pseudo hub world.

48 more replies

That's because 3 wasn't an open world. It is a linear game that occasionally has a branching paths that tend to lead to dead ends. The level design itself was pretty good tho.

Dark souls 1 had a lot of branching psths and was much more open than DS3 but i wouldn't call it an open world, its definitely still fairly linear.

Do you consider metroidvania games to have an open world?

The world design in 1 reminds me alot of those types of games. After the tutorial area i believe there are 7 diffirent bosses you could go fight (if you have the master key). The world is also very interconnected which later games lacked.

I feel pretty confident in calling DKS1 open world.

7 more replies

I ended up fighting a giant spider spitting lava, with tits, then through literal hell, where previous BOSSES attacked on groups like regular enemies, only to find a door sealed by god that forced me to go BACK through everything.

My only complaint about dark souls 1 is that I'll never get that first playthrough ever again. 2 and 3 were both to much of the same honestly, still good but nothing will ever be as good. I even played demon's souls long before, so still familiar but still very different.

2 more replies

That's an issue I had with DS3. Except for a single spot (which you're almost guaranteed to miss the first time you're there, and when it's time you're teleported there), the whole game is very linear. You go from area A to area B, then to area C, then to area D, etc etc, and there are only small or almost medium dead-end spokes sticking out (except one big spoke, the Cathedral), and two medium spokes at the end of the line. The map looks like a centipede.

Meanwhile, DS1 was insanely interconnected at the start. It was more like a ball with nails sticking out of it. The first 4 or 5 areas were interconnected in a way that allowed you to reach any given area from any other given area, and later a 6th area opened up.

10 more replies

You could always hit enemies in a hallway. Just can't use a sword with a horizontal sweep that'll bounce off the wall. If you try to do that it's not going to work in any of the games, DS3 included.

source: have played 15 hours of DS3 the last few days, and have been hitting my sword on walls just as much as in the previous games.

2 more replies

eg you can actually hit enemies in a hallway

I mean... if you're swinging a sword and it hits the wall it should stop the swing, right?

Then the enemy should be treated the same way

I had a moment in Nioh very early on when an enemy hit a table we were awkwardly fighting around and bounced off just like I would have. I remember thinking, "Yeah, this is gonna be good."

1 more reply

Wait what? The enemy could hit through walls but you couldn’t? What kind of bullshit is that?

The enemies you would fight in narrow corridors were half and half actually.

The first hard enemy you met (in my opinion) were the parrying skeleton-knights that square up and use their shield and parry ability to teach you patience. They basically just stab or wait on you, so it's not smart to swing wildly.

the other side of the argument is any other armed enemy that actually has their weapon just clip through everything to continue their animation and hit you. You however will strike wall if it collides...sometimes you can watch your sword not hit the wall yet and it will tink.

7 more replies

Fair enough point.

I'm sure you can come up with reasons why it's not that way as easier as I did but you're certainly not wrong. Personally I hope they don't change it in Dark Souls Remastered though.

Yes, but in real life, you would swing in a way where it wouldnt

For real. Don't be a dummy and use a spear instead.

Or just use the DS1 zweihander. Not even walls could stop its R2.

2 more replies

Or kite the enemies down the already clear hallway and fight them 1v1 outside the choke point like a sane person would. Not that using a spear is insane. But feeling like you HAVE to carry all that versatile gear is.

Yeah, so Dark Souls forced you to have multiple weapon sets for different situations. Brilliant IMO.

I wouldn't say forced but it was pretty close to it.

Nah I've played every Souls game with only one weapon set at a time. DS1 especially, lightning spear, then quellag fire dick till death

1 more reply

Or just use the Claymore. r1 swipes and r2 pokes. Everything you could ever want.

Everything you could ever want.

STAMINA

HEALTH

ENDURANCE

5 more replies

It should but if you're in a hallway you likely aren't going to be swinging in a way to hit the wall, yes that's what your character does but when that's the only movement it has it doesn't really work and you can definitely swing a sword without hitting a wall in a hallway.

4 more replies

They seem to have removed poise even from bosses. It is alot easier to just get in there and longsword r1 spam down enemies.

Improvements to the combat system? I feel like the entire combat system was "You can spam r1 a LOT of times, also roll forever".

And if you don't R1 stunlock an enemy to death they immediately erupt in a 7-hit hyper armor Bloodborne spazout that kills you from full health. Enthralling game design.

13 more replies

26 more replies

The hardest souls game is the first one you play.

Unless you start with the third and work back. Then the second one is actually the hardest

I started with Bloodborne then played DS3 then DS2. I thought DS2 was the easiest.

I was never able to finish DS3, because I can't fucking beat the Twin Princes.

Did you get the shortcut? Before you hit the stairs and boss fog there's a sick shortcut to the right. Also, go to the bridge of Iriththyll and pop an ember, then go outside the tree bossroom. Also, get a co-op summon from the Archives bonfire, there's normally a few 8/9pm EST. Also, fight close and sprint towards him the second he reappears after he teleports.

For the second half...I dunno. I found the second half easy. Him em until they die with maximum prejudice...

Don't give up!!!

5 more replies

Two rolls, two hits. Keep that pace/momentum up and Princes/Champ both go down very quick. Theres almost a rhythm to those two fights.

28 more replies

12 more replies

5 more replies

Honestly, I find 3 the hardest. It feels like the enemies are playing Bloodbourne while the player is still playing Dark Souls 1.

Sister Friede especially. That bitch is way faster than she should be.

She feels like she was designed by someone who never worked on Dark Souls before (maybe Bloodbourne). She's the only boss in the entire franchise that has multiple enemies (her and her dad) sharing the same health pool. Sure, there are plenty of bosses who share the health bar, but she shares health pool. In Phase 2 you can completly ignore her, smack her dad, and she'll fall over without laying a finger on her. Also her excessive speed (even medium weapons are way too slow to hit her, especially in Phase 1), unblockable combos, powerful AoE magic, she's obviously designed with faster Bloodborne in mind.

her and her dad

You're taking the 'Father' in 'Father Ariandel' too literally.

What's the difference between a health pool and a health bar and a health spa?

If two enemies share a health bar then killing one of the enemies only removes a portion of a health bar.

If two enemies share a health pool, that means killing one enemy kills both of them.

3 more replies

I had a hell of a time beating her on my Greatsword playthrough

7 more replies

Three has some bosses which are definitely a lot harder than anything ds or ds2 has to offer imo. Bloodborne can match it though.

I started Bloodborne recently and I really hate the way it handles healing items. If I die to a boss where I used all my blood vials then before I can fight the boss again I have to farm up a bunch of blood echoes to buy more vials, instead of just respawning with full estus and trying again like in Dark Souls. Is there something obvious I'm missing or is this just how the game is?

Yeah that's pretty much it. A lot of farming is required, but I think there are some decent quick runs like the beginning of Forbidden Woods that only take like 5 minutes once you have them memorized. Bloodborne was the first game I played in the Souls series, and going to Dark Souls games after seemed way easier with Estus and being able to block even.

4 more replies

Only the first dark souls game you play is dark souls hard. After that you understand how it works and it’s still difficult but not anywhere near that first try.

121 more replies

Even Harder: BattleToads

TMNT on NES. I still occasionally have nightmares about pink electric sea weed.

Lion King on Genesis and Super Star Wars shivers

Ninja Gaiden, any of the original NES trilogy is harder than Dark Souls, is not even a competition.

I did finish 1 and 2, and those are EASILY my greatest gaming achievements.

I finished all three, and feel so proud of it.

Ghosts and Goblins on NES...fuck that

I spent maybe a couple of hours playing that before ditching it forever with no regrets.

2 more replies

Or Contra without the code.

Takeshi's Challenge with no guide or gtfo

Fantasy zone.

11 more replies

The materials engineer in me wants to point out that most metals and alloys are not harder than most rocks, they are simply tougher (i.e yield and tensile strength vs just Rockwell & Moh's hardness).

Yep! You can shatter a diamond, you just can't scratch it (unless you have another diamond).

Wurtzite boron nitride is harder than diamond.

wurtzite boron nitride

More like Nerdzit Bore-tride! Heh...Right?

NO I WILL NOT MAKE OUT WITH YOU!

6 more replies

The hardest metal is chromium with a mohs hardness of 8.5. This is about the same as average quality porcelain tile or corundum,

8 more replies

dont have to be a materials engineer to know that, glad someone pointed it out.

That's a sharp reply.

You could say he's on point

Really hammering the point home

7 more replies

25 more replies

I finished NieR: Automata last week.
I'm pretty happy to have enjoyed that experience and not complain about what issues it has.

First time I've stayed awake thinking about what happened from a videogame before. Movies, books etc yeah, but a first for a game.

Ever played Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 2 or 3, Life is Strange, Hotline Miami or Far Cry 3? It's happened to me.

It's a matter of... ideas and concepts, I'd say. It's independent from the gameplay or the plot itself, to an extent.

I can't wait until Far Cry 5 comes out

24 more replies

Dark Souls is certainly hard, and it was one of those games that I wanted to break my controller on several times because of how frustrated I was at some of the bosses. (Fuck you Dancer), but the feeling of actually beating that game was one of the best I've had playing a game. Then I beat it again, and was it wasn't anywhere near as hard, then I played again with a stupid whip build for more difficulty and didn't finish it that time, but the first 2 completions were awesome.

6 more replies

made me think, i really complain a lot about games nowaday.

Except DOOM...

DOOM is great.I hate it that i have nothing to complain about it.

fucking DOOM...

Only thing I didnt like was the DLC all being for multiplayer. Other than arcade mode. If they had some more SP I would have bought it.

yeah didnt get that one, multiplayer is clearly the weak part of the game why focus on it? but some extra single player missions? holy sh*t!

1 more reply

Here's one: The multiplayer sucks.

But yeah everything else is nearly perfect.

fair enough but its not like i was expecting it to even have a multiplayer, do you know what i mean?

10 more replies

I like reposts

especially with r/gamingcirclejerk origins

6 more replies

51 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Stealing memes is M O R A L L Y G R A Y I guess.

When you see a r/gamingcirclejerk poster outside of the sub 👀👀👀👀👀

Yep haha

Seeing Todd outside of r/gamingcirclejerk 👀👀👀👀

It’s rare I know.

Here’s $5 Bethesda bucks for finding me

$10 more Bethesda bucks and I get to preorder skyrim2 😎😎😎

$3. And your still preordering.

1 more reply

You forgot Dwarf Fortress.

That's what I expected when I came here.

3 more replies

This post is the Dark Souls of 'Dark Souls-type games are hard' posts.

Hardest : Succeeding IRL

1 more reply

No mention of Battletoads? No... Of course not...

DS3 is easier than cuphead >_>

Every souls game (and bloodborne) is easier than cuphead. The difference is that in cuphead you can just instantly jump back into a fight where as in souls you have that long trek back and have to clear everything again.

But just pound for pound I died like 5 or 6x more in my cuphead playthrough on normal than any souls game.

They aren’t even comparable. One of my co-workers loves Cuphead and has basically done the hardest runs you can do in it and he can’t get past Quelaag in DS1 and gave up a while back. One is a side scroller and one is a third person action adventure RPG.

7 more replies

116 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

*Playing games and not caring that it isn't 400,000 FPS and 92K that you can't even notice because gameplay > graphics and framerate.

• For fucks sake, people. I'm not comparing something like Horizon 3 4K and some shitty game. I'm comparing a game that is popular because it looks amazing and something like Odyssey, the best game I've ever played but it's only in 900p.

Ok but the PC version suffers DEBILITATING lag spikes. Game advertises 60 fps but spikes down to 59 fps with 150,000,000 units on screen. UNACCEPTABLE. BOYCOTT.

• Stumbling through blight town at 6fps and finally getting why it's important

upvotes vigorously

Amen. I hate hearing people cry about that shit. Good games over perfect graphics.

30 more replies

After playing every single Dark Souls, Demon Souls, and Bloodborne I'd argue Cuphead is tougher. At least in the Souls series you can farm up and still win even if you didn't git gud. In Cuphead it's either git gud or gtfo, haha.

Wow really? I never played a Souls game because Bloodborne made me wanna spike my controller through the floor but I love Cuphead right to death.

Are they just different kinds of difficult?

Very different I think. Bloodborne was pretty easy for me and I still haven't finished Cuphead. I could feel my blood pressure rising playing that game and I grew up on the NES.

10 more replies

7 more replies

Imposible: not reposting this every month

1 more reply

I've been playing Metal Gear Solid 5 lately, really enjoying it. No complaints. Good game.

I have some complaints, but overall a solid game.

7 more replies

General Reposti!

Hardestestest: Etrian Odyssey

Its that bad?

It’s punishing. Always sleep in the meadow, and make sure to pet the deer!

Maybe if game companies didn't rush to release AAA title games in shit condition or ruin them with greedy mechanics I wouldn't complain about them

1 more reply

Let's be real Dark Souls 3 isn't THAT hard. Cuphead on the other hand...

11 more replies

Complaining about shitty games... Bad

Complaining about people who don't like shitty games... Good?

13 more replies

Hard: Talking about video games.

Harder: Talking about video games and politics.

Hardest: Expecting people not to connect their identities so damn strongly to fucking video games.

Holy fuck, if you're gonna repost, at least edit it to make it accurate and put Ghosts and Goblins and Ninja Gaiden 3 in there.

727 more replies

A subreddit for (almost) anything related to games - video games, board games, card games, etc. (but not sports).

r/gaming Rules
Not directly gaming related.
Bandwagon or direct reply post.
Piracy.
Unmarked spoiler / Unmarked NSFW.
Giveaway / Trade / Contest / Item for sale.
Not original source.
Spam / Excessive self-promotion
Crowd funding "reminder" post.
Bigotry.