Archived

First Look at Nintendo Labo

1.3k comments
3.7k points · 6 months ago

This is possibly the most Nintendo thing Nintendo has ever done

Nintendo in a nut shell cardboard box.

Somewhere out there, Snake is losing his mind over this.

!

N U T

Never
Underestimate
'Tendo

1 more reply

Comment deleted6 months ago(18 children)

I mean, I feel like I’d build the robot one at the minimum. That shit looks like my childhood dream in a nutshell.

4 more replies

As a twenty-something gamer, I'm honestly really excited! I'm planning to buy both kits.

5 more replies

7 more replies

637 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

It's a pretty brilliant, creative idea. The high quality infrared and next-gen motion controls means you can literally make any peripheral for any game for pennies

If only they hadn't marketed this "for kids and kids at heart". There's probably dozens of hardcore games that could be more immersive with a $5 peripheral

Edit: aaaaand it's 70 bucks. Well, it'll be a super neat thing for kids with rich parents I guess. Crazy to imagine the kind of profit margin they'll be making

Imagine creating some sort of mech warrior cockpit just via cardboard, all rigged up to just change certain configurations in a single center system monitored and interpreted by the IR camera.

Cardboard Battalion.

3 more replies

I mean, nothing says you HAVE to use card board, you can make said cockpit out of ANY material you like.

218 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

From what I can tell it comes with games too? When compared to the cost of Skylanders and a decent amount of figures, the price is more affordable. Edit: I don't mean to say that the pricing is good, I am just saying it is in line with comparable products. I own a Switch and will not be buying this.

Skylanders

My wallet has PTSD...

My little brother made my parents buy him a shitload of landers when it came out and only played the game a handful of times. Cringing thinking about that waste.

9 more replies

1 more reply

I have a Switch and if that robot game is awesome and I get to wear a backpack and some cardboard robo fists hell yeah I'm getting it. All the money I save buying PC games at 90% off that I never get around to playing has to go somewhere.

12 more replies

But can it play skyrim?

3 more replies

$70 for everything in the video (Except the robot game/suit) and the games with it

$80 for the robot suit + game

JSYK, the games are different too, so robot pack doesnt include the variety pack games at all.

How do I download the cardboard?

You wouldn’t download cardboard!

2 more replies

Wow, a game is 10 dollars more than a regular new game. Must be for rich people.

Basically, it's $60 for the bundled software, $10 for the cardboard.

Seems fair to me tbh.

15 more replies

12 more replies

I guess it's just the way I imagine it. I was thinking along the lines that they could release individual peripherals for tons of games

Looks like the sets can be made into a wide assortment of apparatuses and the game comes with it, which I guess is a fair price. Just different than I envisioned it

To be fair, I think they steering wheel could be used for other racing games on the Switch.

I can't imagine it would last long enough to be used enough times for multiple games.

There are couches, tables, and other pieces of furniture out there made of cardboard that are built to last a year and a half. It's not going to be the same rinky-dink material that shipping companies use. Well, I shouldn't say it won't be; not a psychic or anything, but I don't have any reason to believe they didn't properly test the products before announcing them.

5 more replies

1 more reply

You don't understand what Nintendo is going for here. Nintendo is trying to get Nintendo Switches to be the Default tablets for grade school kids. They are going to release an "education edition" of the switch bundled with this game, and sell them to grade schools in bulk with Textbook PDF's preinstalled, completely taking over Apples current spot in the market. This will give them market penetration that makes any other console look like a joke, and since the kids are basically already getting the console as part of their school, parents will be buying WAY the hell more games for the systems.

Nintendo just created the next gen of the TI-85.

Nintendo just created the next gen of the TI-85.

They can also have a graphing calculator addon to the switch as well. They can literally replace the TI-85

A more affordable too!

I really hope this happens.

11 more replies

Rich parents....? This is plenty fair for the value you are receiving.

7 more replies

38 more replies

This is possibly the most Nintendo thing Nintendo ever done Nintendid

FTFY

5 more replies

1.2k points · 6 months ago

LPT: If you order the new Nintendo LABO from Amazon chances are you'll end up with twice the amount of cardboard for the same price.

491% more of those air packet things too!

At the retail store i work at we actually keep those things to use when we ship things out.

1 more reply

I work in a shipping hub.

Be grateful for the air packet things.

1.7k points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Everyone:"The future of gaming is here,put this helmet on and experience VR!"

Nintendo:"Hey kids wanna play a robot simulator with a cardboard?"

You're goddamn right I wanna climb in a robot suit

Unfortunately it doesn't look like you'd be able to fit into it

The suit has to be at least... Three times bigger than this!

Nintendo: "The best we can do is paint it red and make it three times faster"

4 more replies

Apparently it's adjustable with strings and stuff? Man I sure hope it is at least.

Well... compared to the others costing from somewhere between $300 and $700

and Nintendo's option being $80...

Which do you think is the bigger financial risk to just "try it out" in case it makes you motion sick to hell?

It’s not actually VR.

14 more replies

6 more replies

3 more replies

Congratulations to Nintendo and IKEA on the birth of their child, Labo.

I thought child labo was illegal

4 more replies

Solid Snake would be Proud

but does it come with cigarettes?

!

Heard it.

That.... How... Huh?

How it works:

The Nintendo Labo sets include Reflective stickers. The purpose is to be easily read by the IR sensor of the joycons. So the kits will most likely use the gyro of the joycon as rotation and movement inputs and the IR sensor to detect all the cardboard levers and state of movable pieces

(Source: https://twitter.com/NicMagnier/status/953752929181294592 thread)

Oh that's neat. I love how a ton of people tried their best to predict what the hell this announcement could be, and Nintendo somehow did something both awesome and completely unpredictable.

Nintendo somehow did something both awesome and completely unpredictable.

Thats been their slogan for years.

1 more reply

I still can't figure out how the piano works

The Joycon contains an infrared camera on the bottom that can detect shapes and reflective tape's position. The Joycon is put on INSIDE the Piano on the back, and detect each Piano key's position.

Ohh, so the keys expose or black the tape locations? That's clever.

They probably track the tapes position in space so you can press the keys harder and it'll give you the right sound. SO FUCKING COOL.

Original Poster90 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

Something to do with the sensor on one (or both?) of the controllers detecting objects.. I don't know, but I'm excited to see where it goes.

I get the little bug robots, using vibration to move and turn. The piano is messing with my head.

Original Poster66 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I'm guessing it's projecting IR and can detect how far the object is from the controller- when you press a key it goes in front of the detector. If the controller is on the left side of the piano, the farther object will be the higher key, and closer lower.. I think that's how pianos work.

edit: Someone with better knowledge of how the Switch controllers work please correct me. This is my half-baked idea on how it works.

How would chords work?

There's a brief shot of the controller inserted into the back of the piano, with the camera pointed forward at the keys from the inside. It can "see" all of them at once.

Original Poster8 points · 6 months ago

This makes more sense.

5 more replies

Try this vid, Mat Pat did some science 10 months ago. https://youtu.be/kOUPbSakz9M

1 more reply

Mom: “I threw away all that cardboard shit in your room when you were at school it was taking up too much space.”

Cat: "You know all that enticingly destructible cardboard stuff that you painstakingly folded this morning? ...."

Yes.. what about it..?

"They're all my bed and scratching post now. They're wonderful! Thanks human!"

3 more replies

"We can rebuild, we have the technology"

1.4k points · 6 months ago

Nintendo is fucking insane and I love it

Serious question: Is this something that you have to buy or can I use the cardboard from the garbage?

I just read in some announcement article that they’ll be releasing the plans for free if you want to DIY.

Sounds like something even I can afford!

Now all I need is a free Nintendo Switch.

Build one yourself out of cardboard! The ultimate DIY

3 more replies

It'd be cool to 3D print these onto something more substantial like plastic!

Ooohh, that's a good idea. If that takes off it would make 3D printers mainstream.

They still require the software (game) it seems. I hope they issue replacement cutouts on the cheap. Im fine paying $70 for the robot but if my kids breaks the cardboard, i cant throw another 70 at it

You can buy the game without the cardboard too, if you want to use your own supplies.

6 more replies

Rewatch the intro. Those are some really finicky and precise pieces. There's a reason it's all pre-cut; I doubt you could do it with scissors.

Also, you know, you'd need to buy it anyway to get the games.

An x-acto knife would do the job.

1 more reply

Buy releasing the plans we have to assume that they will sell game and cardboard separately and together to accommodate DIY and third-party.

with what software?

There'll be a DIY how to code the game too.

7 more replies

Nintendo is not afraid of trying something new.

Practically their motto at this point.

Not this point. Always.

To further prove your point, here are peripherals that came out for the NES. https://youtu.be/9kBMscW_dVg

I knew it was an AVGN link before I even clicked on it

6 more replies

Comment deleted6 months ago(17 children)

When is Xbox Two coming out?

After Xbox 180.

But before the Xbox 720

3 more replies

All you need is some cardboard and an imagination

How much does 1 imagination cost?

$3.50

Well, it was about that time I begin to get suspicious.

4 more replies

Well this is certainly something new. Give Nintendo credit for being innovative and different.

That's one way they'll always have my respect. They're always trying to find a new way to move up gaming. I feel like they ask themselves how they could change things up next, in a new way nobody saw coming. They keep me on my toes and I like it that way. Always thinking outside the box.

......... I see what you did there

1 more reply

This is unfathomably original, I'm actually having trouble processing it.

Hats off to Nintendo.

Feels very lego. The joy of making them will be equal to the toy.

The Lego Labo expansion pack, if it were to be made, would be the most legendary toy / game to exist

3 more replies

They really thought outside the box

5 more replies

Comment deleted6 months ago(5 children)

5 more replies

Not going to lie I thought this was satirical at first.

I thought "Is this their April Fools announcement?"

Especially after seeing the 4/20 release date

My thought was. wow. they were REALLY stoned

And the fact that the Variety Pack's $69.99

1 more reply

Comment deleted6 months ago(24 children)

I can imagine the pedal and steering wheel getting crushed and wobbly within 10 minutes, yes.

Comment deleted6 months ago(0 children)

10 more replies

Oh man that'll be awesome, hope they include options to use some of this in games that would make sense for it.

I don't want Nintendo to go full on gimmick-required for some games (other than those included here obviously), but to be honest they're over that phase now so I don't have any worries there.

9 more replies

Am really sceptical about a carboard steering wheel. Skin oil and constantly readjusting grip is gonna do a real number on that.

Don't forget Cheeto dust

1 more reply

I'm sure someone out there will either engineer a 3d printable version you can make at home or sell prefabricated plastic ones.

Just like what happened with Google Cardboard.

Comment deleted6 months ago(13 children)

Or you know, DIY. This isn’t EA, and replacing it yourself might be just as fun as assembling the original design.

6 more replies

6 more replies

8 more replies

It would be really nice if third-party developers were allowed to create their own cardboard templates and Labo games.

Skyrim for cardboard confirmed.

46 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I mentioned this in another thread. How cool would it be to have a cardboard sword and shield, and if flexing your fingers triggers the IR doodad so that each fingers fires a different spell/shout or whatever.

I feel like this is one of those 'gimmicks' that actually enables some really cool things

Edit: IR, not IT

2 more replies

Considering that Ubisoft knew about this beforehand I assume that this is the case.

2 more replies

This is actually insanely cool. It will be Interesting to see what they might be able to do with various designs.

I'm looking forward to seeing how people decorate these things themselves.

The Toy-con set 1 comes with extras for you to customize so that's that.

So many lasercut versions out of acrylic, probably (stronger. Cooler looking).

74 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I don't know. I think many people will quickly get board.

5 more replies

I'm waitng to see the price tag.
Imagine if one of those sheets and the associated software was $60...

$70 for the variety set, $80 for the robot set.

😐

I can imagine that price reflects the likely astronomically high-cost R&D that went into this.

Finally someone who understands.

People see $70 and cardboard and stick their nose up. I dread to think how many prototypes they went through developing this.

My 2¢, I also imagine it's better for us for them to sell a set at $70 instead of the software at say, $30 then each individual kit (piano, rc and so on) at $10 (looking at you skylanders).

Yeah, but you know someones going to just break down how it works, cut up an old pizza box and tadah!

Still gotta pay for the game software. and each pack has a different one.

Ign France said that nintendo will release the patterns for free online and will sell the software by it self as a option as well.

13 more replies

7 more replies

1 more reply

Nintendo is finally ereasing the line between digital gaming and phisically playing. Kids will find this more entretaining and parents more willing to bet for tech. Really nice.

Didn't Wii, eyetoy, kinect all do this?

Except your motion was quite limited and you were interacting with a void.

This is more like making custom peripherals for cheap.

It's ROB the Robot all over again.

1 more reply

I can't wrap my head around how the fuck they came up with this idea. It's insane how original it is.

70$ though.

My suspicion is that there was a lot of left over planning/debugging material laying around the office after the last Paper Mario

The $70 one includes:

• Cardboard sheet x 28 (includes extra sheet for customization)

• Reflective sticker sheet x 3

• Sponge sheet x 3

• String (orange) x 1

• String (blue) x 1

• Eyelet set (gray) x 1

• Eyelet set (blue) x 1

• Rubber band (large) x 2 + spares

• Rubber band (small) x 6 + spares

• Software

I hope they release some kind of "labo" software on its own so people can make whatever controller they wish to with their own materials. You could make a fully functioning steering wheel and an accelerator pedal to play with Mario Kart 8, or a bow/sword hybrid for Zelda! Maybe even a paint gun for Splatoon (sorry I've never played the game).

It looks like there will be some customization. That cardboard dude that fell over wasn't listed in the kit, for instance

Yea I'd rather 3d print something to be more durable than cardboard.

I mean the instructions are going to be available just in cardboard, all you have to do is change the material, but the dimensions, sticker, string and everything else has been determined

Looking at the cardboard, it looks like pretty high quality stuff. You'd be surprised how durable it can be.

• a former Architecture student.

But it sets presedence of “environmentally friendly” and “everyone can make one with a cardboard box” or “endless possibilities”

If nintendo release it premade with plastics or polymers, it’ll be just a gimmick.

4 more replies

You forgot the software

It's added.

I really want to see Nintendo get rich by selling cardboard and rubber bands.

24 more replies

Have you been to science/craft/educational section of a toy store lately? You can blow $70 on kid craft projects that don't look half as fun.

53 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

It has become a thing recently in elementary schools to teach robotics, programing, and to use Ipads and such in their classes. Nintendo just announced that they are going to be absolutely dominating that entire market. Not only are these schools going to have Switches for every student instead of Ipads now, they are also ALL going to be getting these games for every student as well, it is an absolute genius way to get into these young IT school market by not only being cheaper and more powerful than the current Ipad standard, but also offering pretty much an entire lesson plan to go with it. Kids all getting Switch systems as part of their school programs also means parents buying actual games for those systems as well.

As a teacher, I think you are overestimating this. The move has been toward lower cost tech, like Chromebook in place of iPads. The Switch is fairly expensive. Throw in $70 cardboard?

The only way this works is if they open up development or have an interface that lets students and teachers create their own programs. Then, there might be more buy-in.

We'll have to see what they fully intend for the platform before we can know for sure.

14 more replies

5 more replies

7 more replies

looks at comments

Nintendo has finally done it. After decades of unsuccessful experiments in fungus-based transmutation, it has at last succeeded in discovering how to turn humans into cats.

1 more reply

60$ for the "game/software" and 10/20 for the cardboard..

and yet all people see is "70 for cardboard omg wtf" .. ugh

I’m gonna try to play devil’s advocate here, because $70 seems steep to me too. On first impressions, it doesn’t look to me like a $60 dollar game. That’s the typical market price for a brand new big budget game, right? Maybe even higher today. But a collection of mini games? Seems hard to equate a Wii Sports kind of game with the year’s brand new FPS. I don’t know what exactly the software would include. Maybe we will see a large amount of content and free future updates, or a fleshed out community workshop. Or maybe there will be like 8 games and the whole thing will become a big novelty, like a set of Wii tennis rackets and golf clubs.

I won't be shelling out $70 for a bunch of minigames with some nifty carboard peripherals, but if I had kids I probably would. You could easily drop that much on a decent-sized lego set, and this seems way cooler and likely to occupy your kids for way longer

That's what we all said about 1 2 Switch when it was released, but Nintendo seem to still think that these small mini games are worth a full game price. I mean Cuphead is a game that had tons of effort put into it and it's just $20, I doubt Nintendo have worked many years and hand-drawn every frame at paper for 1 2 Switch.

9 more replies

76 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

This is really cool. I'm impressed by how innovative and bold Nintendo is - they do things that seem so "huh?" but then are so awesome. This seems like a lot of fun.

One thing though - will be a lot of concerns about cardboard's durability. Kids are kids and accidents happen. What do people do if something breaks?

This is really cool. I'm impressed by how innovate and bold Nintendo is - they do things that seem so "huh?" but then are so awesome. This seems like a lot of fun.

There's a packing tape dlc

Yeah. Makes me think about wrapping paper tubes. Swords that become nunchaku that become a whip.

Maybe get some regular cardboard and remake it?

Maybe, but I’d imagine this is heavier duty than what you get your amazon deliveries in

My cousin literally sells cardboard for a living (makes bank doing it too). You bet your ass there's a type of cardboard for just about anything, and the wrong cardboard would completely destroy the experience.

4 more replies

5 more replies

Seems strange, but potentially neat. I'm guessing folks could make a game that intends to use it in such a way, and then download the design to do//buy the pre-colored&perforated board. Seems spendy at $69, but presuming that is the game/software($49~59) and then whatever initial "controllers" it comes with, it could be fair?

Color me very intrigued but I'm still on the fence about it.

The Robot one is so complex, plus the game is based off a prototype Miyamoto has been workshopping for years now (Project Giant Robot). And then the other package has like 6 different controllers + Game. $70 seems damn affordable to me honestly

6 more replies

Nintendo is fucking high.

Also, I saw a camera one. Pokemon Snap for Switch confirmed.

I am confusion

30 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

This is pretty genius; rather than creating expensive niche hardware for use in a single game, it's all just printed out on cardboard with some cutouts, and some added reflective stickers. Everything else required is built into the Switch itself.

It could even lead to some creative concepts put forward by third party developers - they could release software on the eShop, then make their cardboard designs freely available to print, or even print their own at a minimal cost.

EDIT: This has actually got me thinking; could the IR camera be used for lightgun games? I'm not sure if it could detect "blatting" methods used by the likes of the Zapper on the NES since that relied on screen refresh rates of CRTs (which is why they don't tend to work on modern sets), but it could at least be used for screen tracking with IR sources for positioning, like the original Wii controller.

4-20-2018

snicker

$69.99 Nintendo knows what they’re doing

THIS. IS. INSANE!

Props to Nintendo! I'm excited about this and wonder how the community will be allow to contribute to the creative direction for it!

Props to Nintendo

I see...

The shot with the little cardboard guy falling over makes it look like there will be some sort of very rudimentary programming that you can do. (Link a touch screen button to make a joy-con vibrate.)

26 more replies

47 points · 6 months ago · edited 6 months ago

I love this. Absolutely love this. Cardboard makes it financially accessible while tying back to its roots in imaginative play. The DIY kids will love just putting things together, and pretty much every kid will enjoy playing a lot of these. They are games, they are creative outlets, they're everything a kids' toy should be. The possibilities here are practically endless, and it's the Nintendoiest thing I've ever seen.

Also I'm gonna need to kick my kid off every now and again to take a stab at that robot thing because oh man

Edit: Also the modding community is gonna go nuts

Edit 2: To everyone calling this a stupid gimmick: 2006 called, they want their complaints about the Wii back

3 more replies

Does anyone else really hate the sound/feeling of cardboard rubbing against cardboard?

Comment deleted6 months ago(4 children)

That one is really underrated! I reckon it works by having the HD Rumble propelling the particular side of the "cart" forward, so if you hold down both buttons it will go forward, and hold down only one side it will turn that way?.

3 more replies

I predict a flood of Labo posts to r/expectationvsreality in the future

So $60 for the software and $10 for the cardboard kit. Not bad at all if you ask me. I'm going to get this for my younger daughter. The bonding time making things with her and playing with these designs is priceless.

Also, $70 is a night at the bar or a decent restaurant for 2. A one time, sometimes hangover inducing, experience. Labo wins, hands down.

15 more replies

They figured out how to sell the excess Wii U cardboard packaging they have lying around

It's cool but how long does the cardboard actually last for? Won't it just fall apart after enough play?

2 more replies

Looks like Nintendo learned from the Wii. Tons and tons of third party plastic peripherals they didn't make money on all got just got undercut to hell and back by cardboard. Lots of other good reasons for this too, cause those peripherals were fun, but there could have been more if developers didn't have to fuck with getting their designs processed in plastic. Just come up with a design in cardboard. And they fall apart faster, but you won't mind a couple of bucks for a new one. And if course eventually anyone who's really into a game will try making their own versions of the devices. It's a really rather great idea for Nintendo.

I'm sorry what?

18 more replies

ಠ_ಠ

Holy shit. In usual Nintendo fashion, I don't see this becoming the norm but boy do they put out innovative and cool things out. Excited to see how this turns out.

Beats loot boxes that's for sure.

They found a way to sell you cardboard for $70.

cries in MTG

1 more reply

It's not like cardboard works magically without any software. In reality they are selling you the software for ~60$ and the cardboard/strings for ~10$. I would expect replacement cardboard to be sold for ~10$.

I mean, it seems to me like it's a bundle of mini games, which if you count it as a game itself makes sense at $60.

So it's an extra $10 for cool, if cheap material, peripherals.

Sounds ok for kids. I'm more interested in Metroid Prime and Kirby news at this point though.

Oi don't go selling it short. There's string in there somewhere too.

Comment deleted6 months ago(1 child)

14 more replies

569 more replies

A subreddit for (almost) anything related to games - video games, board games, card games, etc. (but not sports).

r/gaming Rules
Not directly gaming related.
Bandwagon or direct reply post.
Piracy.
Unmarked spoiler / Unmarked NSFW.
Giveaway / Trade / Contest / Item for sale.
Not original source.
Spam / Excessive self-promotion
Crowd funding "reminder" post.
Bigotry.