I will never not share this hilarious critique of the Dark Souls 3 Dragon Form when someone posts ThePruld.

I needed to see that again! Thanks

I don't know what I just watched and at this point I'm to afraid to ask.

In the first and second games, the dragonforms are very robust and dragon-like. In the third it's more like a regular lizard - and not a strong one, but a stupid, lanky lizard. It looks like personified anguish. It's like, you expect to turn into a majestic creature - and the souls franchise has plenty of actual dragons to remind you of just how awesome dragons are - and then you become this derpy lizard.

In the short, the first two players introduce themselves as they transform into their respective dragonforms. The third tries to imitate them, then realises what he has become and goes insane.

I stand by DS3's dragon form as being the best of the lot. The dragons are all majestic, yes - but the 'humans' that became dragons have all traditionally been hideous monsters. Aesthetically, I love DS3's dragon form. I just wish it was stronger.

It kinda makes sense when you think about it. The dragons you see in Dark Souls have never been anything other than dragons, and are made from stone. Humans, on the other hand, were made by the Furtive Pygmy through humanity, and as such have no special claim to dragonhood and the immortality of the dragons. It makes sense that there'd be some trade-offs of giving up your humanity for immortality.

The other thing is that the Age of Eternity ended (really, whatever you want to call before the Age of Fire), and now, I’m DS3, the Age of Fire is ending. The Dragons from before the Age of Fire are still around in DS1. You can find one, Seath is around... their power isn’t fully diminished.

In DS2, we’ve been looping for a while. A miniature Age of Eternity that Gwyn created when he linked the Flames. The Dragons are still there, but harder to find, further away from their origins.

By DS3, everything is dying. The Dragons are getting weaker and weaker, until they’re mostly just Drakes. They’ve lived too long with the disparity of Light and Dark, when they were never really supposed to exist with either of those. Time has come to timeless beings, and as it does they have been corrupted, withered, and eventually died. Their power is largely lost by now.

And the forms reflect this.

God I love the lore in Dark Souls.

It’s some pretty neat stuff.

5 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

A curious thing I noticed in DS1/2 and I hope this isn't a cosmic coincidence but bear with me.

Seath lacks immortality because he lacks the stone scales but he has attained as Big Hat Logan calls it an immortality through undeath. Seath's discovery of the crystals is what gives him immortality but the crystals also agitate and accentuate the curse in humans. Seath gives himself immortality through giving himself "the curse" of hollowing and why when Big Hat Logan truly learns crystal magic his mind just goes right there.

In DS2 Aldia is trying to find a way out of the curse and feels the dragons are the key to this. Digging up the same crystals Seath had harvested he comes to the conclusion that this won't work on it's own. With the Giants from beyond the sea he discovers something unique about them and combines them, the curse within humanity to, after many failed attempts, birth a facsimile dragon: The Ancient Dragon (The only true Dragon in DS2 is Sinh).

So in a way the hodge podge "false dragons" are one in a way based on humans.

Edit: Just wanted to add this as a friend pointed this out- As the narrator said in DS1 fire created disparity with humans of the dark soul being the 'dark'. Thus the reason Aldia is able to rebirth dragons back is combining humans with an opposite being, the Giants.

1 more reply

“You are a dragon. More dragon than I.”

You explained all of this... and I still don't understand it... -_-

3 more replies

This is exactly what I didn't know I needed in my life!

Yet all the Dragon forms are weak as balls

3 more replies

Man I regret not being able to even try the dragon storyline in my first ds3 play through . Dunno why but I attacked hawkwood the moment I saw him and managed to kill him by cheesing.

Was proud of killing him but realized too late that he had one of the best npc quests in the game.

14 more replies

1.6k points · 2 months ago

sorry, im uncultured, what is in 8 days?

Sunday.

That can’t be true. That’s in one day.

Quick maffs

Mans not hawt

Never hawt.

My GF’s birthday is on Sunday too! ^-^

We know.

We celebrated early.

We all came

I came early

I came twice.

Poor boy. You might need that looked at

Don't, that's what made him come early in the first place.

Its definitely the reason I left late.

Be proud: only winners come first.

We all saw

i don't like being late

I had other things to do

Scotty doesn't know.

Wait I'm ur gf?

If you weren't before you are now.

1 more reply

Ey wish her a happy birthday from my side! Me being an anonymous stranger on the internet. Ok you know what that's weird, don't do it.

9 more replies

☀️ Praise the Sun-day ☀️

4 more replies

The release of Dark Souls Remasterd

Wait, did it get pushed back? Could've sworn it released the 25th.

214 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

Multiple Google results still say May 25th. I'm guessing either OP goofed or reposted without changing the title (this is r/gaming after all).

Edit: PSN Store still shows the 25th.

I saw quite a few places that it released may 29th. My preorder counter says 5 days 11 hours though. Hmm

I really hope it's the 25th, I took a vacation day from work and Monday is a holiday. I'm really looking forward to a 4 day marathon of ganking & dying repeatedly!

I did the same thing. That's why this post did me a startle.

1 more reply

Well whether it's the 25th or 29th neither of those equal 8...

2 more replies

Most probable reason: OP reposted this and didn't change the title

1 more reply

It was only pushed back for the switch version of the game. All other versions are set for the 25th.

5 more replies

Unfortunately it is the most disappointing remaster I've seen in awhile

Good for new players Not worth a full retail price for a game I've already played

9 more replies

Remastered huh.... did they fix the shitty hitboxes?

No, they fixed nothing. It's sad

So what's the point?

Cash grab

If you're on PC? Absolutely nothing. If you're on PS4/XBone well, it's something that you couldn't play before on those consoles.

Comment deleted2 months ago(3 children)

However it basically applies dsfix to the base game, which is a solid improvement for console, and a slap in the face to PC players. It's basically all remastered is. It's the base game with some shaders and dsfix. Oh, and don't forget a new bonfire.

12 more replies

7 more replies

Dark souls remastered. Really cool graphics and story but so punishing.

I wanna get it for switch but I don’t want to break my switch.

It got pushed back for switch

Considering how minor some of the changes seem to be, I think I’m sitting on this with dsfix until the switch version drops as well.

Seeing Link’s shield in the promo at the first bonfire had me sold.

5 more replies

3 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

It has a story? All I ever hear about it is how difficult it is. What level of story are we talking? Like full on Mass Effect/Dragon Age, or like just a touch of story here and there and some context clues (like I imagine Breath of the Wild to be.)

You imagine incorrectly. BotW definitely has story

3 more replies

3 more replies

28 more replies

talking away, i don't know what i'm to say

but i'll say it anyway

Today's another day to find you

Shying away.

I'll be coming for your love, ok?

Taaaaaakkkkeeee ooooooooooonnn meeeeeee

Taaaaake Meeeeeee Onnnnnnnnn

Iiiiii'll beeeee goooooone

In a day or twoooooo!

Nothing brings more joy to me than seeing complete strangers on the internet coming together to sing Take On Me

(take on me)

5 more replies

I've never actually played Dark Souls. And yet I can't stop laughing at this video. My eyes are literally watering! Why?!

ThePruld's videos are in Italian, and hearing them and reading the cheeky subtitles is its own little joy.

He apparently makes up his own grammar.

TUTO BUYO DE LA ABYSSO!

That was a very funny one

There's also the absurdity of the stuff he writes, plus his delivery of lines. Like when he has Oscar of Astora crash in on a recording session being directed by George Washington, followed by George complaining about being interrupted and Oscar saying "I don't give a shit!". I somehow find that sequence hilarious.

His video with Dark Souls characters visiting Skyrim is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

edit: Might have quite a few inside jokes in there, though.

Mods, mods, so many mods!

But what about the main quest?

Oh yeah, shit, totally forgot about that

On point

This had me crying the entire time! WHY ISNT THERE A PART 2!?!?

If only he'd do a sequel to that video. It's been almost three years.

1 more reply

Even though I don understand a damn word of what they're saying except for yes, no, and cat, that was really funny.

You know you can turn on subtitles, right?

I did but those were still the only words I picked out.

Go save the world and fuck off. Jesus. That was great.

2 more replies

The fucking bird at the end had my dying.

I lost it when Solaire started leg dancing while still praising the sun.

Because it’s... funny?

4 more replies

12 more replies

RIP Switch users, RIP me

Haha I'm full of sadness and pain

Hey man as long as it works well when we get it I’m okay with waiting a little bit

I just hope that that fix a lot of the shitty bugs that were present from the test, and that were present in the original too. I'm also hoping that they readd speed run tech because I would love to improve my times on the go. Until they do one of those two things the game will be a pass for me.

A lot of bugs are going unfixed. Its going to be another skyrim special edition

5 more replies

I'd like to at least know when it's coming :(

"summer"

Oh great! I'll just book that day off work

1 more reply

I think it's gonna be more like RIP switch controllers.

Comment deleted2 months ago(1 child)

6 more replies

Did someone say JOLLY COOPERATION?

If only I could be so grossly incandescent

8 MORE DAYS TO PAY 20 DOLLARS FOR DSFIX

*$40

They gave a discount to people that already had the game, after a ton of outcry about it.

That's only for PC though, and chances are most people bought the original for at least $20.

3 more replies

Skyrims remaster was free if you had the base game already.

3 more replies

2 more replies

I wish Sony would actually allow Demon Souls to be remastered. It is still my favorite of all of them.

9 more replies

Oh boy, I just can't wait to die!

1 more reply

For a modded pc version...this is such a rip-off.

Really cheap mod too. Love dark souls but I'll pass.

It's a real bummer.

well, the remaster fixes blighttown at least. even with dsfix that area is a shitpile

22 more replies

Switch is where it's at. Unfortunately it's a LONG wait.

Only system i'll be getting it on

i'm not buying the remaster because i own prepare to die edition on the PC already

DSRshouldbefree

53 more replies

23 more replies

Isn’t it 6 days? The 25th... anyways... PRAISE THE SUN

Don’t know why people are getting hype for this - it’s really insulting. No fixes, no tweaks, no new textures, only better lighting and frame rate. It’s literally the same as if you had played on a PC at any point since it was released, if you had added a couple extra mods. What a jooooke. All the play tests I’ve seen don’t look any different at all from what I’m playing on PC already. And my PC is a hot garbage potato.

I think it’s mostly geared towards console players who might not be able to play it on last generation consoles anymore. With DSfix, there’s not much of a reason to buy this on pc but you can’t exactly mod a PS3. Plus I’m sure plenty of people sold their old systems and don’t have a way of playing this entry anymore. I know I’m personally stoked for the Switch release of this, even though it’s going to happen much later in the summer.

Exactly my PS3 is half dead and I didn't get to finish a lot of games (Dark Souls included)
I will probably grab Dark Souls Remastered at some point, probably not release though.
I just hope they fixed the fucking mess that Blight Town was.

The framerates was an absolute nightmare in that area.

They did. It's been confirmed by ign I believe

1 more reply

Doesnt mean they can't at least fix all the exploits and other problems. Just from what I saw personally and from vids, there's still chain stabs, lag stabs, and weapon swap toggling. Sure, it's still the most challenging of the dark souls games and as such, most fun, but only in PvE, so even if I did get it, I'd probably have to stay offline until From actually improves the game, and I can already tell ya, PvE isn't going to keep a healthy player base coming back consistently

17 more replies

They are removing the original on Steam though.

34 more replies

I'm excited because I'm getting the switch version and can play on commutes etc. I don't see the point of the other console releases.

11 points · 2 months ago · edited 2 months ago

I’ve wondered how that’s going to go. You can’t pause Dark Souls. What happens when it’s time to get off the train or out of the car or off the plane or whatever?

Youre going to die

You don't have to pause, it's save-anywhere. You can just quit the game.

1 more reply

Good question. As far as I can tell sleep mode suspends all games. I'd probably be playing off line? If not you'd just have to budget time well and make sure you make it back to a bonfire. I'm not too concerned but good question.

That would likely serve the same function as hitting the guide button or trying to put a console into rest mode - either the game will keep running in the background or just exit the session and tell you that you shoulda quit from the menu. At least that’s what I’d imagine. Would be kinda unfair if someone could finally pause a Dark Souls game.

1 more reply

It's going to bring people back to the game and expand multiplayer. That's all I care about.

2 more replies

As someone with a Switch, there’s an added toilet compatibility that I’m quite eager for.

Because the game is still incredible no matter how bad the remaster is. I'm just excited to have the whole DS series on my PS4.

And Blighttown was fixed.

Because not everyone owns a PC.

Because PC version is full of cheating assholes.

Because despite the popularity it’s dead online for anyone but the PC version, which means putting up with last statement.

Because I’m not a sourpuss who needs to put down people for liking something that basically guarantees that one of the most popular video games ever to be made will continue to have online support and availability on modern hardware for the next several years.

I don't get why people care so much. I've never played but I will gladly buy it and play it on my couch or on my toilet. Clearly they already own it on pc so let us have it on our platform plus getting mature games like this is a win for switch no matter what.

Beacuse it could have been better, and it’s kind of insulting to charge previous owners 20 for negligible fixes that should have been patched 6 years ago.

I shouldn’t have to spend 20 to revitalize the community, that’s bullshit.

7 more replies

12 more replies

why do people keep saying no fixes? digital foundry literally put out a video the other day showing that blighttown is a stable 60 fps now. even a 1080 ti with dsfix has fps drops there

Dude we sure have some low standards if making an area of the original game PLAYABLE is enough to justify a re-release.

This game needed a (free) patch.

Perhaps you’re right. That doesn’t make me less excited that Blighttown is gonna run properly.

4 more replies

Don't really care about the graphics, I just want active multiplayer again. Gravelording was probably the most fun I have had in the series.

33 more replies

Unless you're getting it on the switch and then there's no release date yet :(

Why are you excited to be disappointed?

For what

Dark souls remastered

More like dark souls with better lighting, same textures and zero big fixes, but with flashy blood and fire and more online players.

Tldr; It's just a patch for the price of a complete game.

Which is perfect for the portable switch. If only it were releasing when they said it was going to.

But's it's a total hackjob and screwing for PC players.

6 more replies

To be fair, if you haven't played the game before, this is a pretty cool deal

9 more replies

it does fix blighttown though. even dsfix on pc doesn't really help much there

And Huge performance upgrades. Did you not hear the news about Blighttown? Stable 60fps all the way thru at 4k. DSFix can't even come close to that.

1 more reply

It's half price for people who own it already.

Which is still more than they should be paying for bugfixes and lighting updates

And here's the best part, they broke shit too, no more bloom and the material for leather armor is bugged.

Can't wait for the new gen of dsfix

8 more replies

I mean there is absolutely no point in buying the game if you already have it.
It's mostly for people who couldn't play it before or can't play it anymore.
If you have it on PC there is no point in getting it really, but consoles for exemple don't last as long.

11 more replies

TAAAAAAAKE OOOOOOON MEEEEEEE

Wont the people who have played this game countless times just do a low level run and invade all the new influx of newbies and stomp them in one shot with endgame gear right off the bat? Just a thought I had because the more times I played the original the more I was invaded by those types and since this game has technically been out a while it will happen right at the start due to how fast they can beat the game.

Yes. Smurfing will be rampant just as it was before, but probably 100x worse because so many people know this game inside and out now.

Get ready for dark hand spam...

6 more replies

I personally am planning to do a low level run and leave summon signs so I can help people. I may even join the darkmoon covenant (which is essentially Dark Souls police - they invade invaders).

1 more reply

Theres a really simple way to fix that... Dont use humanities. It literally has no downsides other than not being able to upgrade a bonfire.

3 more replies

3 more replies

"Shut up."

-Switch Players

1 more reply

Does this "dance" have a name? I have seen it elsewhere.

I believe this is the origin. https://youtu.be/3rOcO3HRPcA

I believe it’s from this video https://youtu.be/tvVoY-PTf6s. Not sure if that’s the original though

4 more replies

It's a 20$ patch that should be released for free with a hand written apology for the shit port they released 6 years ago 😡

It's a $20 patch and people are falling for it.

2 more replies

8 more days for the paid DSfix? That we already have?

4 more replies

Ah the paid patch is really close!

Until the half arsed remaster is released? its lazy and embarrassing

$20 patch labeled as a "remaster".

Get ready for some jolly good cooperation, gentleman!

\[T]/

It comes out in 6 days.

Now we need a Demon's Souls remaster.

So what's actually new to the remaster?

Visuals and new servers?

Anything else?

Textures are the same, just upscaled. Combat is the exact same, a small amount of bugs are fixed. Framerate issues fixed. New blood particle fx.

They're not upscaled.

The textures are the same because the original game downscaled them. So now you get to see them in their uncompressed glory.

To be honest, I don't give 2 shits about graphical improvements, myself. I care about fps, connectivity fixes, and general improvements.

And a fresh new playerbase doesn't hurt either.

3 more replies

That's all. As a previous owner of the originals I will be passing on the remastered.

Not for $40

not for $20 either (if you already own the original on pc)

i mean, on the PC it should be free...

When is E3 again fellas? We should probably have a countdown somewhere in the sidebar, I keep forgetting, is this how old age feels.

The press conferences are actually June 9th-12th. Just so you know.

4 more replies

My son had his birthday party on the weekend, he and his 8 friends were running around doing this. Was hilarious to see, even though I did not know what it was from(I doubt they did either) but I knew I probably would see it on reddit.

5 more replies

Glad to see how many people know ThePruld

Hai mai lodato il Sole, PUTTANA?!?

I was on the fence until I saw Blight Town...now I'm in.

That's okay, I got it backwards compatible on the ol Xbone

This Subreddit: CoD is a ripoff! $60 for no campaign and terrible money-grabbing additions. Don't pre-order!

Also this Subreddit: 99% of the same game that has been released before with all the same bugs and just a small graphical increase for $40? OMG I JUST CAN'T WAIT!!!!

This game REALLY shouldnt be called "remastered" as it looks the same as the HD fix on PC. Its just an HD release.

That's essentially what remastered means. It is a term taken from the film industry where the master version of the film is just rescanned into the new better format (VHS->DVD->BD) with some potential color/degredation cleanup work.

So the game industry is using a familiar-ish term for what they mean by upscaling an old game's textures and native ingame resolution to current day standards.

Its why Shadow of the Colossus was not called a remaster but a rebuild/remake.

1 more reply

The remaster is terrible, why are you excited?

4 more replies

Never played it but i hear I'll just end up throwing my controller at the wall

The difficulty is overblown. The game was much harder when it released originally because the wiki was being created on the fly and you have to read online to do everything you can do in the game on your first playthrough because little is explained to you in-game.

If you're halfway competent at playing a video game you can beat Dark Souls. It just doesn't hold your hand and is oldschool like Baldur's Gate or Fallout in the sense that you can kind of fuck yourself if you don't build your character correctly, but it only applies to PvP really. Any build can beat all the bosses.

Comment deleted2 months ago(2 children)

Kill the dogs first.

Do people not do this?

18 more replies

You know it’s sucks, right? Like they totally fucked it up.

2 more replies

if you own dark souls on PC there is basically no reason to buy this. it looks worse than vanilla+dsfix and they took out low level invasions. this is only worth it for console players who never got to play through blight town at >15fps.

286 more replies

A subreddit for (almost) anything related to games - video games, board games, card games, etc. (but not sports).

r/gaming Rules
Not directly gaming related.
Bandwagon or direct reply post.
Piracy.
Unmarked spoiler / Unmarked NSFW.
Giveaway / Trade / Contest / Item for sale.
Not original source.
Spam / Excessive self-promotion
Crowd funding "reminder" post.
Bigotry.