Where to go between Berlin and Cologne a few days.

Hi All,

I'm planning on spending a week in Germany during an upcoming Europe trip. I'm flying into Berlin on August 25th and taking a train out of Cologne on August 31st. Between that, my plans are still fluid. I was planning on spending 2 days in Berlin, 2 days in Cologne, and 2 days somewhere in-between.

Nuremberg seems interesting - looks like there are lots of historical sites in the city. But then I read some comments that Wurzburg is a better choice. Can anyone comment on this?

Or I could do 2 cities for a day each?

Suggestions are much appreciated. FYI I'm a 27yo guy travelling solo.

Württemberg6 points · 1 month ago

I'd say either Leipzig or Hamburg (or something in between).

Extend your Cologne time to include Bonn and a boat trip up the Rhein to Koblenz.

native3 points · 1 month ago

At the moment, and possibly still at the end of the month, the Rhine has super low water. I wouldn't count those tours to run without calling in advance.

Canadian in Germany. Like it.5 points · 1 month ago

Err, check a map. Neither of those is "between Berlin and Cologne".

In my opinion you would be better off with Dusseldorf or Aachen.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

O, just meant I have a booked ticket leaving Cologne and one arriving in Berlin, travel plans between them are open.

Germany4 points · 1 month ago

Yeah.... But.... Munich is at the other end of germany. You would spend a great deal of a day traveling from Berlin to Munich and back to cologne again.

Canadian in Germany. Like it.2 points · 1 month ago

Yes, but as /u/Frontdackel said, you're going the wrong way, unless you want to spend a LOT of time on a train or driving.

Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

Hmm, I am getting a Berlin-Munich flight on 8/28 for $15 (??). I'll look into Dusseldorf/Aachen, or, someone below said Bonn. Thanks for the suggestion

My recommendation is using these two days to see more of Berlin. If you take a train form Berlin to Cologne it will also take up most of a day.

Hessen3 points · 1 month ago

Do at least three days in Berlin

When I used to live in Berlin, I loved going down to Leipzig for the weekend. It's quite a nice and chill little city. Maybe you could have a look at that as well :) Although, like the other commenters, I think you might want more time in Berlin.

English-language discussions and news relating to Germany and German culture.

r/germany Rules
Racism etc.
Inappropriate behaviour
Inciting to or condoning violence
Inappropriate link title
Resources - your first stop!

Many commonly asked questions are covered in our FAQ and Wiki. And yes, your question may very well be a common one.

FAQs: http://goedhartvoordieren.nl/?page=r/germany/wiki/faq

Wiki: http://goedhartvoordieren.nl/?page=r/germany/wiki/index

If you want to study in Germany, read this first: http://goedhartvoordieren.nl/?page=r/germany/wiki/studying

If your "studying in Germany" question is easily answered in the FAQs or by web search, or if you appear to have put no effort whatsoever into your question, expect people to point you to the Wiki. Detail/specific questions will be more likely to receive answers.