Posted byBaden-Württemberg (US Born)1 month ago

Is there anyway to report companies that put junk mail in your mail box, even though it has 'keine Werbungen' on it?

Title....

And I'm getting tired of this shit.

No idea, but if you're not German yet, you are now.

6 points · 1 month ago

I disagree. Consumer protection is actually much better in countries like Norway and people do report companies that ignore consumer rights.

I don't know why things like these come up as "typical German", they are not, simply because it's mostly common sense to respect the property of others and to obey rules.

Saying that something is not typically German is typically German.

Not understanding why said reaction to an illegal activity is typically German is in itself typically German as well.

Comment deleted1 month ago(12 children)

I think the previous comment was getting at the “reporting” aspect of the request. As far as I’ve learned, Germans appear very comfortable culturally with reporting things that seem like they shouldn’t be the way they are.

Comment deleted1 month ago(0 children)

The difference is that Germans will want to report it because it's simply against the (perceived) rules everybody should be following; Muricans because they all want to be VIPs. Individualistic society and stuff.

And welcome to the internet, mate!

Wow, man, you’re awfully confrontational. What stereotype was I fostering exactly?

fuck you man, im not even american or german, but a little stereotype joke isnt gonna kill amybody. just chill out?

Reported.

me? or the triggered guy?

I am going to say: neither.

Why not both?

Too much chaos.

Dude, shut up.

How can we report this person?

Bayern53 points · 1 month ago

Send them a warning, after that you can sue them if you want to. Don't forget to quote the exact laws they're breaking.

You can find templates for this online.

But what if they have a "no warnings" sign on their Mailbox?

Randbayer mit unterfränkischem Migrationshintergrund1 point · 1 month ago

then they have to sue the mailman as he was it who put it in

Germany29 points · 1 month ago

It depends on what kind of material precisely you are getting. This guide may be a good starting point.

Make sure to also put an "Keine kostenlosen Zeitungen, Handzettel, Wurfsendungen und Wochenzeitungen"/"No unpaid newspapers" sticker on you letter box. I've been told that merely "Keine Werbung" is not enough, as these kinds of newspapers are not considered Werbung.

Nordrhein-Westfalen18 points · 1 month ago

I used to work as a newspaper deliverer and I was told to ignore those signs. Instead I got a list of people who called at the newspaper agency and complained that they dont want any newspapers/ads and these were the only people that I wasnt supposed to deliver any papers to

Yes this is common..annoying but common.

Oh, that was you!

Indischer Jung7 points · 1 month ago

Instead, I used to use a "Nur adressierte Post" in my previous house.

Germany2 points · 1 month ago

How about "An alle Hausbewohner" ? It's kind of addressed.

That doesn't count as "addressed".

Indischer Jung1 point · 1 month ago

Sorry?

He means, if on the letter stands an alle Hausbewohner, that happens often and than it is kinda addressed

Indischer Jung1 point · 1 month ago

I've never received anything like that 💁🏻‍♂️

Randbayer mit unterfränkischem Migrationshintergrund0 points · 1 month ago

that means you dont live near a train track that got worked on since you live there

Indischer Jung1 point · 1 month ago

Yeah I live on a train track but no work.

Germany13 points · 1 month ago

Not much you can do. You could write "return to sender" on it and rip it into the next postbox. Read that somewhere sometime ago, but that seems to be more of a dick move towards the post workers than having any effect.

Canadian in Germany. Like it.12 points · 1 month ago

Actually the Post does deliver a lot of that stuff and if you've got a note on your post box that says "keine werbung" the Posties aren't allowed to deliver those items to you.

Baden-Württemberg (US Born)Original Poster22 points · 1 month ago

I actually think it's not the 'Post' doing it...

I think it's the teenagers pulling the little carts along.

Nordrhein-Westfalen2 points · 1 month ago

Actually, the Post also delivers that stuff. At least at my place.

No, Deutsche Post mainly delivers "Einkauf aktuell".

-17 points · 1 month ago(7 children)
12 points · 1 month ago

I don't think he meant to talk shit about them in general, just that it might not be Deutsche Post delivering it.

Baden-Württemberg (US Born)Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

Happy cake day....

But remember the cake is a lie.

Holy shit it's my cake day! First time I notice on the same day, thanks!

No it's true, there will be cake, she promised!

Baden-Württemberg (US Born)Original Poster10 points · 1 month ago

I am not blaming the kids.

My first job was a a 10 year old riding my bike to deliver news papers.

But the company they work for should tell them to respect the rules....

Canadian in Germany. Like it.3 points · 1 month ago

I couldn't agree more. I did the same job when I was 10 to 11 years old. Don't know why I getting down voted to the bottom of the lake though.

Baden-Württemberg (US Born)Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I think it's because you seem to be excusing the company with 'think of the children'

Whatever .... I have no problems with you, or your comments in this thread.

EDIT: I have been 'down voted bombed' much more than is happening to you... And I wear those posts, as badges of honor....

Canadian in Germany. Like it.-4 points · 1 month ago

I laugh at them. I have over 100k karma. Go ahead, down vote me. Make my day.

3 points · 1 month ago

They are allowed and have to, if the receiver (with address?) is somewhat mentioned on it, because it is basically mail. Some mail even has the "An alle Bewohner des Hauses". Not sure about those though. Some post dude here?

This is correct. My old man works for them and he told me the same.

First, notify them once (via something tracable) that you do not want to receive any junk mail from them.

If they still keep spamming, you can send this. Make sure you have proof.

These offline advertisements are such a waste of paper and resources.

I had some religious shit in my mailbox the other day. Not from a church but from some stupid christian group aiming to exploit older people by selling them healing salts, books and shit all while crapping over modern society (gays are bad reeee stuff).

I wrote them a non polite Email that I‘d sue if i‘d see this shit again, since I have a „Keine Werbung oder kostenlose Zeitschriften“ on my mailbox.

They called me back and tried to tell me that it wasnt there problem. I told them that I had a Rechtsschutzversicherung and would be very happy to use it. The next Email was a very long please dont sue us, we will make sure it never happens again.

so yeah, i felt like a real potatoe that day, but the win was nice though.

Baden-Württemberg (US Born)Original Poster1 point · 1 month ago

I've had religious folks, ring my bell, and try to give me their pamlets, when I answered, but never just leaving stuff, in my box....

No. You would have to sue them.

Baden-Württemberg (US Born)Original Poster6 points · 1 month ago

So I would have to sue 'Nissan' ( to use a recent example).

And they would simple say, ' That's not our fault, we contract company XYZ, to deliver our ads. If company XYZ did something wrong, we have no responsibility for that...'

Germany10 points · 1 month ago

They may well say that, but they are indeed responsible.

There should be a section somewhere in the ad that lists the actual company responsible, more likely it's a a local dealership or something like that.

In general, you wouldn't sue them, but send them a letter where they legally promise not to do it again, maybe even under a certain penalty. That's called "Unterlassungserklärung" or "strafbewehrte Unterlassungserklärung", but I wouldn't advise to do that if you can't speak German.

Please also note that this is only my layman's understanding of the legal situation. I'm not a lawyer.

Baden-Württemberg (US Born)Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

So i dug out the junk mail. and will send an e-mail to the company, we'll see what happens when I email them....

BW7 points · 1 month ago

I've contacted one of the advertisement distributors before and they send a friendly apology with promise to remind their employee.

When i worked for one of those companies as a teenager we had something like three strikes for missing or wrong "deliveries" of the advertisement before they would cancel the contract.

Baden-Württemberg (US Born)Original Poster2 points · 1 month ago

I don't want to get a teenager fired.

I just don't want junk mail.

2 points · 1 month ago

Really? Suing someone over something like this is rather unusual in Germany. This isn't America.

Doesn't change the fact that there is no authority to report it to though. Your options are talking to them to make them stop and if that doesnt help to sue.

Bayern1 point · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I've gone through this, too. Pisses me off something fierce but the long and short of it is that you need to have a larger sign with the following words:

Keine Werbung!

Keine Kostenlosen Zeitungen!

Keine Handzettel!

Keine Wurfsendungen!

Keine Wochenblätter!

Miss ANY of them and your mailbox is fair game again. It's the result of a lot of word games and political pressure in various courts over the years. This sign on my box -- highlighted in yellow so there can be no claims of oversight -- has stopped damned near every bit of it. Oddly, you don't have to have a separate enumeration for menus... or didn't have to two years ago when I found all this out.

Unfortunately the people getting paid €1,62/hr to stuff shit into the mailbox you are legally obligated to make available are told to ignore the signs and so you generally have to send each violator a warning via registered letter to make sure you have a court case. Use this Musterbrief that /u/jhiojhiop mentioned.

English-language discussions and news relating to Germany and German culture.

r/germany Rules
Racism etc.
Inappropriate behaviour
Inciting to or condoning violence
Inappropriate link title
Resources - your first stop!

Many commonly asked questions are covered in our FAQ and Wiki. And yes, your question may very well be a common one.