If there is a violation of the rules, please click the report button and leave a report, and also message the moderator team and report the problem if it requires more detail.
Reposts and Crossposts:
Do not post gifs that have already appeared on /r/gifs . Moderators may allow gifs that have gotten an extremely low score in the past, but that is not guaranteed.
Do not post gifs that have gotten more than 1500 points (at the time of posting) elsewhere on reddit in the last two weeks. This includes videos converted to gif formats. Cross-posts after this time are allowed.
Please use Karma Decay to see if your gif has already been submitted.
Frequent violations of this rule may result in a ban.
Please help us enforce this rule by reporting offending submissions. Please include a link to the original reddit submission in your report or modmail if you have it.
This rule is meant to keep things fresh. Reposts will be removed, however a good gif that did very badly the first time around may be given a second chance. We also don't wish to discourage cross-posting in general (it's even encouraged by reddiquette), but if something was recently popular elsewhere, we want to let the original post stand on its own for a while before it comes to /r/gifs.
Please note that the cross-post rule applies at the time of posting. We don't want to punish users who were within the rules when they made their post. For example, if a post has 1000 points elsewhere, and someone cross-posts it here, but a few hours later the original post has gone past 1500 points, that's fine.
2. No Reaction, HIFW, Analogy, Cake Day, or Upvote gifs. There are already subreddits more suited for this kind of content. (This rule does not apply to comments)
The /r/reactiongifs wiki explains this well. Just because a gif has a reaction in it doesn't make it a reaction gif.
3. Do not post gifs that should be videos. Incredibly long gifs or content much better suited to video formats will be removed. 20 seconds maximum duration. (This rule does not apply to comments)
Gifs are a short-form format, so if a gif doesn't provide any benefit, or a video format is preferable, it isn't allowed. For example, these may be removed...
Gifs that require audio to be properly appreciated.
Gifs with many cuts to different scenes.
Gifs with a file size over 15mb.
Direct image links REQUIRED. No links to image pages or albums are allowed, your submission must be a single gif image. Direct links that end in .gif, .gifv, .ogg, .mp4, and .webm format only. URL-shorteners are NOT allowed in posts or comments!
Image/gallery pages are prone to malicious ads or editing in spam in the text areas, so we require direct linking to prevent this. URL shorteners are on reddit's site-wide spam filter, because you can hide anything in a URL shortener and people have no idea what their browser will open.
5. No depictions of real-life harassment or assault in posts or comments. There are other subreddits dedicated to this kind of content.
6. No witch-hunts or brigading in posts or comments. Do not encourage any online or real-life harassment, and don't encourage people to downvote other posts/comments.
This includes trying to rile people up over another reddit user's activities. There are always many sides to everything, and we've seen reddit go after the wrong person many times.
7. Nudity, porn, gore, and other obscene material are not allowed in posts or comments - No exceptions. Failure to comply will result in removal of post and banning. There are other subreddits dedicated to NSFW content. Please mark risqué posts and comments as NSFW.
Risqué posts (girls in bikinis, for instance) are fine as long as it's tagged as NSFW and isn't overtly sexual. Porn, gore, nudity, and sex acts are bannable offenses in posts or comments. Anything causing grievous bodily harm or death is considered gore, even if there's no gore shown.
8. Titles must be descriptive. Do not make submissions with the title "This", "This is my favorite gif", etc.
9. No hate speech of any kind in posts or comments. Racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise abusive submissions or comments will result in an immediate ban.
Making fun of or belittling any person or people based on race, sex, gender, sexual preference, disability, or other characteristics is likely to get you banned. Language that goes past the standard "internet tough guy" banter may result in a removal or ban, depending on the severity.
10. Please familiarize yourself with the official rules and reddiquette. We will remove any posts or comments violating reddit's official rules (spam, personal information, vote manipulation, etc.) and reddiquette just makes reddit a better place to visit.
If you have any questions about the rules, please contact the moderators.