Reddit Feeds

Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Humor

Only the most woke can hear the difference

D7200 · 660S · NightOwl · Andromeda > XDP-300R & NFB-11.28199 points·4 months ago

I bet he forgot to burn in the Sandisk one, rookie mistake.

Magni 3 -> HD600 | LS200is | Monk+30 points·4 months ago

Insert and remove without ejecting first. Quickest burn-in method available.

Darkvoice 336SE ➡ HD800, HD600, NuForce EDC4 points·4 months ago

Seriously. And swap the cables first, too

Cayin i5, Empire Ears Athena Adel MAM1 point·4 months ago

Another rookie mistake would be not changing out the stock cable for more premium cables for better sound.

Cayin i5, Empire Ears Athena Adel MAM1 point·4 months ago

MDR Z7 // VE Zen 2.0106 points·4 months ago

Well duh the samsung will have more air. The extra 56gb makes room for it. If you get a 512gb sd that is too much, the sound resonates in the cavernous storage.

I can confirm this.

Source: digital electronics forensics investigator

Wait so if I get a bunch of those 10TB hard drives and run them in Raid 0 will my music sound better because of all the extra space for the sound?

Broke Sound Engineer13 points·4 months ago

Nah - with all that extra space to bounce around in your music will sound like its being replayed in a cathedral. Be sure to fill the rest of the storage with images of acoustic foam.

Stax SR-007 & SRM 727II1 point·4 months ago

If the storage is big enough - i.e 10TB disk space with only a single album stored, it will have a very nice open airy sound with no nasty resonances. I have two racks with twenty 10TB HDDs with my twenty favorite audiophile albums.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Are you kidding? Raid 0 is awful for music. You need raid 7.

GO1000, Onkyo DP-S1> QDC Neptune,MDR EX1000, MDR 7550, HS1004,30 points·4 months ago

Gold plated SD card when?

smug when I buy something like new underwear2 points·4 months ago

The apologists in the comment section are kekable

Memory cards Pffft, Im testing humidifiers, the better humidifier the better the air compression in the headphones or speakers.
Chairs are next, chairs make a difference as well as houses, I tried 10 houses so far, some of them were occupied.

LCD 4 | A124 points·4 months ago

I tried 10 houses so far, some of them were occupied

Did the residents increase the noise floor?

Yes dammit, even with the foam padding.

I wonder if he's being at all satirical? I wonder if he knows that SanDisk invented the SD card?

HD800S + Lyr 2 / CA Andromeda / UM Merlin / Heir 8.A + Sony ZX210 points·4 months ago

It doesn't matter who was first, the later one can be still better :P

Just look at how Porsche built the first hybrid car in 1900 (for pollution concerns), yet Toyota is clearly better at it.

The 918 would like to have a word with you...

Okay fine, plug-in hybrid. And the 918, while awesome, isn't really a practical car, it's an expensive toy. A beautiful expensive toy that I'd love to own (or even just drive) but wouldn't love to pay for.

I definitely agree with you, just love the 918 lol

Paying for it means you are able to pay for it. I wouldn’t mind that ability at all.

I know a fair number of people who've paid for things they couldn't afford.

I'm not sure the demographic buying 1.3 million dollar supercars has much overlap with the people overextending themselves with credit cards.

I'm not just talking about credit cards. There's some pretty interesting fools out there.

Top D30/ Mango 3 + Fe12 / LCD2C / he400i / shp9500s / KZzs54 points·4 months ago

what but who make the flash that is inside each chip?

I'm pretty sure SanDisk makes their own NAND. I don't think Samsung was in the flash memory game way back when.

Top D30/ Mango 3 + Fe12 / LCD2C / he400i / shp9500s / KZzs55 points·4 months ago

okay okay so at least it's not complete bullshit, just slightly less complete bullshit.

256 gig microSD doesn't seem that far in the past..

looks like it was just last 2 years ago. http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsung-launches-a-256gb-microsd-card/

I was expecting it to be sooner than that... no comedy in this one.

E- also it was made by samsung- "The card is made of Samsung's 3rd generation V-NAND that stacks cells in 48 layers."

3 points·4 months ago·edited 4 months ago

I'm talking about when the SD card was invented, as my saying "way back when" should imply.

oh, i thought you meant microSD

Magni 3 > HE400i/DT1350/K240 Studio2 points·4 months ago

to be fair beyerdynamic invented the moving-coil dynamic headphone and plenty of people don't like their sound

I drive HD6XX with my phone1 point·4 months ago

I've seen people who believe the ultimate SD card for audio is made by Toshiba. So, I don't think it's satirical (unless it is).

I'm SO glad for my digital/analogue electronics education that lets me instantly dismiss claims like that.

Nevertheless, I did own a green CD pen to paint the outside and inside with back in the 80s. I was 14 years old..

I feel bad for anyone who can't easily hear the difference between inked and un-inked discs (played back on mass market cd players), the difference is as plain as the nose on your face. Mebbe you just find the idea too ridiculous to really give it a listen. Maybe you really aren't an audiophile, or can't hear front to back depth in a recording. Maybe you have lousy headphones or speakers, or too reverberant a room, . . . who knows?

Found on a forum post somewhere. Wtf.

I find it strange that these types of posts making fun of outlandish subjective bullshit get upvoted in r/headphones. That being said it gives me hope for the future of this industry, that maybe companies are going to have to focus on improving the actual sound of their devices rather than just making up the next "multibit" marketing meme.

Prophile8・V2021 points·4 months ago

So you're telling me you believe in SD card rolling?

Fiio E10k | HD6008 points·4 months ago

Can’t wait to try my Russian SD cards from the ‘70s!

E10>E9i|LD mkIII>AH-D2000|MS2i|T50RP mkII|ED9|Monk+|Tin Audio T22 points·4 months ago

Blah, SD cards! Humbug!

Now core memory's where it's at. A truly discerning audiophile should only ever trust digital storage formats where each and every bit's actual storage location can be seen with a naked eye.

Fiio E10k | HD6002 points·4 months ago

I love the warm sound of punch cards!

E10>E9i|LD mkIII>AH-D2000|MS2i|T50RP mkII|ED9|Monk+|Tin Audio T21 point·4 months ago

Oh yeah! And what about simple good ol' parchment? Reading the 0s and 1s directly with your own eyes will bring you as close to the true essence of digital music representation as humanly possible. No electricity or interference-prone component chains involved to disrupt the experience!

Fiio E10k | HD6001 point·4 months ago

Nah man, end game is reading sheet music.

I just duct tape 2 iPhones to my head.15 points·4 months ago

Multibit may be a marketing meme at the moment, but you could at least point to some actual reason it would be different than another device (note: not better, not worse, not superior, not any judgmental descriptor, just different) - there's a completely distinct digital-to-analog process going on with completely different analog filters.

I'm really not sure how you'd improve the sound of an SD card, or even differentiate "sound" between brands as they are all Secure DIGITAL devices using the same exact digital interface to pass 1s and 0s from their NAND flash memory to the computer. It's either going to work and the bits are going to be passed accurately, or it's not and they're not. It's completely binary and there's no room for subjective differences.

If there is literally any audible difference between SD cards, someone done fucked up, A-Aron.

Also, it's completely ironic to me that you talk about "focus on improving the actual sound" and then choose the "multibit marketing meme" as a counterexample. Now, I'm not saying that multibit is better or worse, but it's also pretty clear that the most obvious target of that criticism, Mike Moffett (and, by extension, Jason Stoddard), believes he is doing exactly that.

They have been absolutely consistent for years that their primary goal is trying to drive improvements in audio quality to reasonable price points. Whether they have succeeded or not is a subjective judgment I'm not going to weigh in on. Likewise with their products themselves. But, as a company, it's actually kind of hard to argue against Schiit in particular trying to improve the sound of their devices as every scrap of information available to consumers points to that as their aim.

Any given consumer may or may not agree that they've succeeded, and not every company that does actually try to improve audio quality is going to succeed, but if anything I'd be praising companies like Schiit and Audio-GD for trying to push new technologies, topologies, and products into the "costs less than a used car" space.

Nah, companies are just going to focus on improving their marketing BS to reel in the next generation of mugs

M.2 when?

GOV2+Infinity|MicroiDSD|AuneS6=>RA2/TA03=>LZA4|MX980|HD6003 points·4 months ago

Everything wrong with our hobby, nicely summed up in one image. Nicely done

My cochlea's bigger than yours2 points·4 months ago

It makes sense, the sound on my Spectrum 48k was pretty bad.

JDS Labs EL Stack | Elear | HD 8002 points·4 months ago

Good shitpost

shark cards are the way to go.

NFB-11.28 > Grado GH-21 point·4 months ago

Shit man. . .

That totally explains why my music sounds like ass. I’m still using spinning platters.

Comment deleted4 months ago(0 children)
SDAC►O2 ►HD6XX7 points·4 months ago

The signal coming off the SD card is purely digital. If two SD cards actually sound different, there's something seriously wrong with at least one of them.

The op is a joke

A place for discussion, news, reviews and DIY projects related to headphones, headphone amplifiers and DACs.

r/headphones Rules

Be most excellent towards your fellow redditors.
Rules for image posts
Disallowed content
No selling or buying
No off-topic or loudspeaker content

Related subreddits