6.1k points · 1 month ago

I'll bet that lion loved doing this!

3.8k points · 1 month ago

It's a win win. Entertainment for the lion and get the visitors actually involved and learning.

1.6k points · 1 month ago

Yea. They have a rope toy at the tiger habitat at my local zoo. Like with any cat toy, the tigers aren't that into playing.

1.8k points · 1 month ago

Lion should get a reward, like an arm ripped from its socket or something. An incentive.

334 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Organ donor level 2

231 points · 1 month ago

Organ döner kebab

Organ Dahmer

Orgahmer.

Bleep-bloop, I'm a bot. This portmanteau was created from the phrase 'Organ Dahmer'. To learn more about me, check out this FAQ.

Good bot

Just bot

3 more replies

This is going on my list of best puns ever, this was a platinum pun.

doner

hmmmmm

2 more replies

Id give the bits of me they couldn’t use to help someone else to a tiger for sure

If I was dead who cares? Fill me up with cream. Turn me into a cannoli. What’s the big deal?

25 points · 1 month ago

“Let the lion win”

20 points · 1 month ago

Well that escalated quickly.

7 more replies

192 points · 1 month ago

While the decent thought is there, tigers are not like lions. They aren’t social, generally—they like to hunt prey and stalk and kill things, and go be alone, except when rearing young or mating. They’d be more happy if you let a live gazelle into the habitat but that’s not as copacetic as a tiger rope toy. Lol.

I’d be okay with that but instead of antelope, I’m sure tigers would settle for white tail deer that are running around all over the place committing suicide on roads.

As someone who loves nature and think deer are cool, I'm also 100% okay with this idea as they're basically very pretty vermin.

I think this is relevant. A deer walked up to us on a job site a few weeks ago, and let us pet it, feed it, and take selfies with it. Was my first experience meeting a deer, in selfie form

46 points · 1 month ago

Great, the deer have learned prostitution. "I'll spend time with you and let you touch me if you buy me lunch. For a little extra, you can take pictures so you can brag to your friends."

Deer have known prostitution for quite a while now.

6 more replies

Yeah I have no ill will towards deer. I always stop and talk to them when I’m on my way to work. They usually just run away when I roll down my window and yell, “hey deer!” Actually saw a good size solid white buck several times a couple months ago in the same spot.

By the way, remember when deer ‘caught’ in headlights was a thing? I never see them do that anymore.

It was bound to fix itself. Life, uhh... finds a way.

2 more replies

Natural selection can work pretty quick when there is a ubiquitous and intense selective mechanism.

That being the grille of a car going about 60km/h

1 more reply

About 5 years ago I was on a dark country road and one ran in front of me. I wasn't in a hurry and had just enough time to lock it up and stop. I bumped the deer and it fell over.

Then it got up and stayed there. So I honked at it which woke the poor old rural people up in the only little house for 2 km. I had to get out and yell at it to move. Then I had to wave my keys at it like a baby before he slowly made off.

I think its brain couldn't comprehend the squealing and bump so it just shut off.

The only thing hurt that night was a couple's good night's rest. We both walked away scratching our heads at what just happened.

5 more replies

2 more replies

Try a laser pointer next time.

Can you bring a laser pointer into a zoo?

Asking for a friend of course

Of course you can.

Whether you should use it or not is an entirely different matter.

146 points · 1 month ago

Pretty soon the zoo will start charging visitors for a tug, and then there's no rest for the lion, just another wage slave in a corporate prison.

My massage parlor charges extra for a tug

How much extra?

Treefiddy

5 more replies

179 points · 1 month ago

She would be lion if she didn't

It's the mane attraction

33 points · 1 month ago

I have another vid. I'll post a lynx.

3 more replies

16 more replies

3.8k points · 1 month agoGilded1

Could have easily been defeated with a laser pointer

829 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Or a big box

omg this is amazing. instantly subbed.

Best sub of my life.

4 more replies

6 more replies

13 points · 1 month ago

Or catnip.

or an appache-chopper.

Or a cucumber

8 more replies

4.5k points · 1 month ago

Would be interesting to know how many strongmen it takes to get one lionpower. Like horsepowers for cars. Ex «this cable holds XX lionpowers».

I like this idea. On a side note, horses have been recorded as capable of 15 horsepower.

1.2k points · 1 month ago

So my car actually has 1860 horsepowers? I like you!

More like 8 horsepowers.

1860/15=124

So his car is specified to have 124 horsepower.

124/15=8.266666

So yeah about 8 real horsepowers. Math checks out.

108 points · 1 month ago

You mean we can’t have .266666 of a horse?!?!

8 horses and .26 corpses is what you'd have.

Weird how 0 and fractions are plural in english.

Well it could be a pony...

Then it's 8 horses and 1 pony.

How much horsepower in a pony?

5 more replies

6 more replies

18 points · 1 month ago

yeah, it's called a quarter horse

7 more replies

6 more replies

1 more reply

Or they drive a really impressive car.

229 points · 1 month ago

he drives a chariot of 124 real horses

124 HP isn't a whole lot really.

It is if you're a horse

But not if you're a car.

What if it’s small?

3 more replies

16 more replies

5 more replies

5 more replies

A horse is only capable of 14.9 peak horsepower.

Or 6.2 brake horsepower

3 more replies

Wait so one horse at full power does not equal one horse power? Is it like 1HP= Trollope then?

Or one horse leg =1HP?

1hp, in layman (AKA my) terms, is the sustained work a horse can maintain. Say, a walking pace.

14 points · 1 month ago

Also not any horse but, historically, a pony.

2 more replies

The original definition for horsepower was defined from the energy output of a horse turning a mill wheel. It was based on James Watt's estimates of the work done by a horse turning a 12 foot wide wheel 2.4 times per minute. There are other stories as well of how Watt came up with the number, but they're all something like this.

Point is, it's based on a pretty arbitrary scenario and doesn't really reflect the actual power a horse can generate, more like it's a vague ballpark number that was invented for marketing steam engines in terms that a layperson of the time could understand.

64 points · 1 month ago

Did you know the strongest of humans ever were only able to produce .33-.50 of one horsepower?

This doesn't seem right. Some Tour de france riders can sustain up to 500W (0.7hp) for 10s of minutes at a time or 0.6 for up to 1h. They can average around 0.3 to 0.5 for an entire race. Sprint cyclists can do ~1.5hp for under a minute.

That is probably due to mechanical advantage, right?

No. Mechanical advantage only changes torque, not power.

If you can add power through a simple mechanical device you've invented an over-unity machine, i.e. broken physics.

5 more replies

Mechanical advantage doesn't add power, what it does is trade more force for distance, or vice versa. Or if things are spinning, trading torque for speed.

Work = force times distance (units are joules, calories, kilowatt-hour)

Power = work divided by time. (units watts, horsepower, British thermal units)

So you lifting up a 1 kg object up 1 m on Earth means you applied about 1 Newton of force for 1m so did about 1 joule of work. If you did it in 1 second your power output was 1 watt.

If you put the object on a 11 meter long lever that has a fulcrum at the 10 m line and you push on the 0 m line, you will apply 0.1 N of force for 10 meters, so 1 joule of work again. If it still takes 1 second, you're output is still 1 watt of power.

If you reverse the lift and push on the short end you need to put in 10 N of force for 0.1m, so same energy added in and the power output is still 1 W if it takes a second.

37 points · 1 month ago

This question just gave my brain a 404 so someone with knowledge of physics please chime in. Can adding a mechanical advantage to a human driven device cause it to produce more horsepower (a unit of work/time) or does it not matter because the input energy is the same before and after the advantage was used?

HP is measured on the result. Two dudes can be using the same amount of (biological) power but outputting two different amounts of work if they're using different machines or techniques.

Comment deleted1 month ago(4 children)

4 more replies

9 points · 1 month ago

No, because you have a geared advantage you can go faster with that HP. You still generate the same HP.

2 more replies

The power output is technically the same, but the bicycle helps to translate a greater fraction of it in horizontal movement and optimizes the resistance into rolling resistance.

When we walk (in snow), a lot of energy goes directly into the ground and is lost. The useful power on a bike therefor is greater, the overall power is the same. The difference between the two is the energy conversion efficiency.

6 more replies

That's not how thermodynamics works.

8 more replies

For an extended period of time. Humans can peak at close to 2 horsepower for very brief periods. Or at least according to the horsepower Wikipedia page.

Actually athletes have been able to peak at 3.5.
Source: that same Wikipedia page.

When considering human-powered equipment, a healthy human can produce about 1.2 hp (0.89 kW) briefly and sustain about 0.1 hp (0.075 kW) indefinitely; trained athletes can manage up to about 2.5 hp (1.9 kW) briefly and 0.35 hp (0.26 kW) for a period of several hours.The Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt produced a maximum of 3.5 hp (2.6 kW) 0.89 seconds into his 9.58 second 100-metre (109.4 yd) dash world record in 2009.

14 more replies

235 points · 1 month ago

Technically there's no mechanical power being consumed, as the distance travelled is zero. "lionforce" would be the correct unit, and also sounds like a thing from the 80s

But they are remaking it with The Rock.

35 points · 1 month ago

Welp, that's another $600M movie. Book it.

22 points · 1 month ago

Thundercats! Ho!

12 points · 1 month ago

Snarf! Snarf!

2 more replies

I want to start a band called LionForce.

37 points · 1 month ago

Zebraforce

23 points · 1 month ago

I’m a llamathrust kind of man myself.

1 more reply

Sadly, only Caligula could say.

23 more replies

The lion cheated. She was holding the rope at an angle giving herself more leverage. I want a rematch.

1.3k points · 1 month ago

Maybe lion should be a cheetah.

Damn’t Dad, get off of Reddit.

I'm not YOUR dad, so, NO.

That’s just like you Dad.

Stop embarrassing me mom

4 more replies

5 more replies

Also had 4 feet on the ground, low center of gravity, and claws to dig into the grass

183 points · 1 month ago

Claws are designed to pull a cat up or forward. in this instance, they would be little help. Have a cat? let them climb your pants, you can easily pull their claws out by pulling forward.

126 points · 1 month ago

Yeah, I'm going to give that a hard pass.

35 points · 1 month ago

Oh come on, I'm not talking about letting a lion crawl up your pants.

How about a cougar?

18 points · 1 month ago

I let a cougar pull me off, once.

34 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

I'm sure if any of those guys wanted to get on all fours and pull with their teeth, they could have

1 more reply

However, the angle is the biggest factor

1 more reply

In other words, she the smart one of the bunch.

3 more replies

I was about to say, do you know how hard it is to pull anything immediately 90°?

If you think that's a 90 degree angle, I feel sorry for your geometry teacher.

Ya it's obviously 400 degrees.

Maybe 85 degrees, I don't think they're sweating that much.

3 more replies

Clearly it was 85.7°. My bad.

3 more replies

HA FUCK HIM HE DOESNT EVEN GEOMETRY BRO WHAT A FUCKING IDIOT

5 more replies

20 points · 1 month ago

Clever girl

The lion said the same thing about the humans

Aren't the people also pulling at an angle?

50 points · 1 month ago

The lion isn't really pulling, it's resisting being pulled. Imagine if instead of the lion a big fat guy was sitting on a sled, holding onto the rope. If the rope has significant friction against the hole in the wall, it's going to be more difficult to move that guy.

Yea it’s more she’s using friction than leverage. The angle creates a greater contact with the cage . Still very cool though.

5 more replies

1 more reply

I thought the same thing! That lion was cheating!!

58 more replies

That lion should bow before the glory that is Ricochet

126 points · 1 month ago

I was wondering if that was him! Lol crazy

Yep, and the others are Killian Dain (Sanity) and Fabian Aichner

1 more reply

Guess that answers the question of which is stronger a lion or a puma.

2 more replies

Yeah. And i know the guy at the very front is on nxt too. Althought he usually loses when he is on tv. Also it looks like the Scottish guys from Sanity too.

Fabian Aichner is the first guy. 2nd guy looks like either Killian or Hanson.

13 points · 1 month ago

Yeah, it's Killian

2 more replies

I'm pretty sure the guy in the Celtics shirt is Matt Bloom.

12 more replies

Just wait for his main roster debut when he’s pulling off 450 planchas and Michael Cole decides to mention “Ricochet can’t be taken lightly Corey, did you know Ricochet once got in a tug of war with a lion”

Totally something Graves would say, I think.

1 more reply

I didn't even realise it was him at first

That was my immediate thought after watching if that was him or not.

6 points · 1 month ago

They were trying to find out if a puma was as strong as a lion

10 more replies

Maybe if the rope wasn't wrapped around a piece of metal with all the tension generating tons of friction, you would have seen some back and forth movement at least. Idk if the humans would've won. But they probably would have a chance.

49 points · 1 month ago

Yeah, also i have no idea but a lions bite is strong but not so much its pull on a rope with its mouth? The way it’s set up going around the bend def is preventing those men from even making a diff.

2 more replies

So what you guys are telling me, is that the lion outsmarted them?

162 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

The men would have won. They were really leaning back into it - with their combined weight (even just partial), the lion would be dunzo.

E: made an oopsie

10 more replies

44 more replies

186 points · 1 month ago

Is that Ricochet?

It is! And the bearded dude is Killian Dame, and the guy filming in the Celtics shirt is Matt Bloom (aka Albert aka lord Tensai)

I thought the one in the middle was the other guy from Heavy Machinery, not Otis.

Totally

No it's Prince Puma

Phffft. Prince Puma wears a puma mask. That's clearly a lion.

6 points · 1 month ago

And Fabian Aichner and Matt bloom I believe

3 more replies

493 points · 1 month ago

My guess is that the 90° bend in the rope is what's allowing the lion to hold ground. 4 dudes should be able to drag a lion even if she is resisting.

256 points · 1 month ago

Also, humans are probably at a huge disadvantage in tug of war against four leggers. We rely on an upright position to keep balance, and tug of war makes us negotiate that against the pull of the rope. Lions don't need to deal with that at all.

213 points · 1 month ago

I lose tug of war battles to my dog sometimes. She has 3 legs and weighs 20 lbs. Maybe I just suck at tug of war...

Most animals have really strong neck muscles too.

34 points · 1 month ago

Lions have very powerful neck muscles iirc

12 points · 1 month ago

We need one of those dudes that draws comments to draw a lion with massive traps.

4 more replies

8 more replies

My 100 lbs lab can’t even beat me in a tug of war...you gotta hit the gym

Or the dog.

Just kidding. My 27 pound beagle can't beat me when I'm just using three fingers. There's no reason why a 20 pound, three legged dog can beat a human, unless the human is a child.

3 more replies

2 more replies

I believe it. I have a 90 lb dog and when I play tug of War with him he just basically stands there and I struggle to pull him. It's pretty crazy.

3 more replies

5 more replies

I agree. For everyone that doesn't, notice the fact that the lion isn't gaining ground either. Yeah, the oblique bend in the rope is playing a huge part in this contest going nowhere.

18 points · 1 month ago

Also, there was no real movement after they stopped pulling either.

That's how my dog plays tug of war. He just plants low to the ground and doesn't let go, but he never actually tries to use his legs to move back. He's lazy.

4 more replies

Can the lion do a double moonsault tho? Doubt it. Advantage Ricochet.

Hey that's Ricochet!

2 more replies

Oh shit some of the NXT boys went to the zoo!

They may have meet Jack The Jobber while they where there.

Remember that time Ricochet faced a lion in a bull rope match?

72 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

This might sound dumb but does it hurt its teeth?

67 points · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

Every dog ever does this every day. I'm pretty sure these predator animals are built for it.

13 points · 1 month ago

Must be, i mean 3 men! My god isn't that one strong cat

4 more replies

20 points · 1 month ago

I know for a fact my teeth would fall right out.

13 points · 1 month ago

go to the dentist

Toothist are expensive

6 more replies

My dog loves that to the point I lift her at the air and whirlwind the shit out of her, she's a 25Kg Border Collie.

I get sore waaaaaay before she gets tired.

Border collies have an extremely strong bite. Mine always did the same thing. Very smart too, probably my favorite medium breed.

10 points · 1 month ago

I mean their teeth are designed to latch onto and take down large game animals that are obviously thrashing about so I doubt this hurt much if at all.

4 more replies

Somewhat relevant

On point relevant

Shows visitors winning or at least pulling it out of his mouth.

Is that Ricochet?

Ricochet!

Damn didn't expect to see Ricochet

Saw this on r/squaredcircle first so I was giddy when I saw my boys from NXT showing up on the front page of Reddit.

9 points · 1 month ago

Is that Ricochet?

1 more reply

r/SquaredCircle is this Ricochet at the very end?

10 points · 1 month ago

Prince Puma?

Itza Black Penta in disguiees

Ricochet? He would have won if he was allowed to flip.

What a gyp - the lion should have won the right to eat the opponents.

Pull the rope at an angle from the cage gives the a beast a mechanical advantage. Not to say the lion isn’t strong but the friction on the rope from the angle as it cinches on the porthole definitely helps.

3 more replies

Hey! I actually know some of those zoo keepers!

Lion is cheating pulling on a 45’ angle increases the force needed to move exponentially

So is this what Ricochet is doing to prepare for Velveteen Dream, this Saturday at NXT:TakeOver Chicago! Live on the WWE Network!

12 points · 1 month ago

I mean.. have you tried getting a kitten to let go of something in its mouth? This was expected tbh.

I find this cute and interesting

16 points · 1 month ago

What incredible strength. Majestic beast

7 more replies

Ricochet from WWE Is the one pulling in back! Ricochet is awesome, but he jobbed our to this Lion

3 points · 1 month ago

What if the lion opens its mouth?

They're wrestlers so they'll probably sell the bump.

4 points · 1 month ago

I feel like the incentive for the lioness is she thinks shes gonna pull these guys into their death and get a free meal

4 points · 1 month ago

Is anyone going to mention the angle of the rope and the lion tamer is just preforming simple mind fuckery that’s being over looked here?

1 more reply

at the back was ricochet from wwe

Is that richochet?!

Is that ricochet?

I think I saw Nikki cross behind ricochet.

Is that Ricochet?

Prince Albert!!

Is that Ricochet?

284 more replies

For almost anything you find interesting.

r/interestingasfuck Rules
Gossip or tabloid-esque material.
Proof needed, and not provided.
Uncivil.