Sort by

Does no one else find this disgusting and fucked up? They caged a wild animal and are now using it to put on a show. A show where the challenge it and yell and scream.

Absolutely.

1 more reply

Comment deleted3 months ago(1 child)

You'll be the first in the cage and we'll play tug of war with your nuts.

reminds me of this

4 more replies

This is the better title

Original Poster0 points · 3 months ago

I agree. But different subs I feel you can pun a little more than others. r/gifs is a bit more literal. You can have a post taken down there if you get too puny.

Really shows you how weak we are compared to the rest of the animal kingdom

Is it only me rhat tink that tiger i looking fack or dead

With that mechanical advantage, my poodle could hold off more people. Kinda misleading to kids who think the animal is actually that strong.

the crosspost is strong

That moment you try to pull a rope coming from a whole at an angle... . If it was straight, that lion's jaw would be on the floor right now.

3 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

I don't know how I feel about this because I kinda feel bad about exotic animal captivity in general. Anyone else?

2 more replies

I mean that’s cool and all but the lion has “locked off” the rope by creating that angle. Same concept used when repelling.

Does this make them "pussies" sorry

-2 points · 3 months ago

This is coolest thing I ever saw on Reddit and I was once subscribed to r/watchpeopledie

Never mind I re subscribed

-9 points · 3 months ago(1 child)

1 more reply

-21 points · 3 months ago(2 children)

Dude I drink protein shakes so I'm strong \s bunch of gym meatheads

Good thing that lion knows physics and those humans don't!

-2 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

What a bunch of soy boys. I could do this easy. I've had 2 protein shakes today. What did that lion have? NOT 2 SHAKES

Getting downvoted for a clearly goofy comment. Nice

New ways to abuse animals, who the fuck thought of this?

1 more reply

-25 points · 3 months ago(0 children)

there's a video of a tug of war where somebody's arm gets ripped off.

there's another video of a tiger ripping somebody's arm off at a zoo.

which one do you want me to post?

5 more replies

Hey r/squaredcircle isn’t that Bray Wyatt and Ricochet?

2 more replies

And that's just a female lion...

Can’t believe those guys are losing to that pussy

-5 points · 3 months ago(0 children)
-5 points · 3 months ago(0 children)

That's a very cool and entertain way to improve the captive life of the lions. A safe way for people to play with them, and learn something about these majestic cats, all in one shot.

While some animals fare better in captivity than others, I think it's important for kids to get to see real wild animals, so they learn to love them and respect them. Otherwise animals become just characters in some movie.

Comment deleted3 months ago(1 child)

1 more reply

Doesn't the friction at the fence give the lion an advantage

Cause the guys with big biceps got big leg muscles. Feeeeerrrr fuckin sure

It's incredible! As in I don't believe it.

Okay but how come humans are absolutely weakest mammals? Even compared with other animals we would not go far in nature without technology.

Impressive strength from the lioness. Wonder how strong was that grip?

Guy at the end is fine

2 more replies

Lol obese/fat chick loving not having to do any physical labor

Where did all these fat lesbians come from?

What incredible strength. Majestic beast

-27 points · 3 months ago(6 children)

???????????????????????????????

-26 points · 3 months ago(0 children)

3 more replies

1 more reply

Came to see how many Fun People felt the need to point out the angle in the rope.

Too damned many.

-2 points · 3 months ago

Can't this be potentially harmful to their teeth in some way?

Enrichment for all! Seriously wish our zoo would do this with various critters!🐅🐆🐻🐘🐺🐒

You'd think Ricochet would've been an equal match, considering he's Prince Puma.

I mean.. have you tried getting a kitten to let go of something in its mouth? This was expected tbh.

Comment deleted3 months ago(1 child)

1 more reply

This is how my dog, a 100lb lab, can pull me, a 200lb human in reasonably smooth clothes on a smooth floor, pretty easily. It's the 4 legs.

2 more replies

My guess is that the 90° bend in the rope is what's allowing the lion to hold ground. 4 dudes should be able to drag a lion even if she is resisting.

Yes - the friction around the edge of that tube is massive. Probably eliminates the effect of about 2 of those guys.

I don't see how that benefited the lion any more than it did the men. Can you explain?

Also the claws in the ground and low center of gravity.

I agree. For everyone that doesn't, notice the fact that the lion isn't gaining ground either. Yeah, the oblique bend in the rope is playing a huge part in this contest going nowhere.

-1 points · 3 months ago

Except the lion isn't even pulling; doesn't budge when the humans let go.

-edit - just noticed hidden comment said same thing

6 more replies

Also, humans are probably at a huge disadvantage in tug of war against four leggers. We rely on an upright position to keep balance, and tug of war makes us negotiate that against the pull of the rope. Lions don't need to deal with that at all.

I lose tug of war battles to my dog sometimes. She has 3 legs and weighs 20 lbs. Maybe I just suck at tug of war...

My 100 lbs lab can’t even beat me in a tug of war...you gotta hit the gym

5 more replies

Most animals have really strong neck muscles too.

-14 points · 3 months ago(7 children)

I'm sure they do, but a predator animal will have much stronger ones comparitively.

-16 points · 3 months ago(0 children)

Can you hold another animal in your mouth and snap it's neck by the force of how quickly you turn your head?

-15 points · 3 months ago(0 children)

Hello? 911? Please help, this dude is just walking around snapping necks

1 more reply

Lions have very powerful neck muscles iirc

6 more replies

8 more replies

1 more reply

At first I was gonna comment "look how unfair it is to be a human" then I remember which of these 2 mammals is in a cage

Ricochet from WWE Is the one pulling in back! Ricochet is awesome, but he jobbed our to this Lion

Ricochet!

Maybe if the rope wasn't wrapped around a piece of metal with all the tension generating tons of friction, you would have seen some back and forth movement at least. Idk if the humans would've won. But they probably would have a chance.

Not really, the lion wasn't trying to pull the rope in, just hold against the tugging. Anyone who's played with a dog would be able to tell you that. And the bend of the rope works boh ways and therefore cancels out, the men only had to move the cat and a tiny bit extra for the rope touching metal which clearly is not easy.

Or just keep going. Lion is stronger for a few minutes. Then it tires. Then it realises it can't pant to dissipate heat. Then it either let's go to pant or collapses of heat exhaustion. Humans always win in the long run.

4 more replies

157 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

The men would have won. They were really leaning back into it - with their combined weight (even just partial), the lion would be dunzo.

E: made an oopsie

Exactly. It's not a matter of strength. If the pulling force is more than you weigh, the rope is moving. Unless of course you cheat, like the lion does in this video.

If the pulling force is more than you weigh, the rope is moving

No necessarily. There are other forces at work. 4 legs firmly planted and low to the ground offer a shit ton of leverage.

5 more replies

dunzo

She wouldn't be Tom Haverford's friend anymore?

Why is this so upvoted? It's so completely wrong...

-404 points · 3 months ago(37 children)

Please shut the fuck up. Your comment is irritating and is something a fucking 6 year old would respond like.

-5 points · 3 months ago(0 children)

Please stop. The edit makes you look bad. Especially when you basically called me a 6 year old. It makes you look less credible and immature like the rick and morty “to be fair you have to have a high iq” fans. Some people just don’t remember that scene. I used to binge watch futurama all the time and I honestly still don’t know what scene you’re talking about.

The fuck are you on about?

5 more replies

Dont even need modern tools fam. A single human with a spear could fuck up a lion assuming they knew what they were doing/had presence of mind.

3 or 4 strong men definitely have a chance to win, 20 strong men would certainly win. So yeah, humans could definitely win that. Probably by getting the cat to lose its grip on the rope. Lions are strong, but not even close to the strongest animals.

Begs the question, what animal would be best at this?

32 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Does it have to hold it in it's mouth? If not, blue whale and then elephant. If yes, probably a grizzly or polar bear. I don't think hippo or rhino could hold it with their mouth.

13 more replies

1 more reply

Feel like this is a Bender quote

Bender would never lower himself to using "LOL, LOL!!" as an onomatopoeia for laughter.

2 more replies

So what you guys are telling me, is that the lion outsmarted them?

1 more reply

Yeah, also i have no idea but a lions bite is strong but not so much its pull on a rope with its mouth? The way it’s set up going around the bend def is preventing those men from even making a diff.

3 more replies

1 more reply

Oh shit some of the NXT boys went to the zoo!

Hey that's Ricochet!

71 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

This might sound dumb but does it hurt its teeth?

If it was in any pain it would probably just stop

1 more reply

Good question - I don't know for sure, but in my mammalogy class I actually got to see and touch a lion skull. They have a protrusion on the top of their skulls called a sagittal crest which creates a large surface area for muscle attachments so that they have an extremely strong bite. This leads me to believe that it would actually not hurt the lion!

My dog loves that to the point I lift her at the air and whirlwind the shit out of her, she's a 25Kg Border Collie.

I get sore waaaaaay before she gets tired.

2 more replies

I know for a fact my teeth would fall right out.

go to the dentist

7 more replies

68 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Every dog ever does this every day. I'm pretty sure these predator animals are built for it.

Their teeth are stronger than any human could ever realize.

3 more replies

Must be, i mean 3 men! My god isn't that one strong cat

Is that Ricochet?

No, RicoCat.

I haven't heard of that species.

I think the first guy was Brian Cage

No it's Prince Puma

Phffft. Prince Puma wears a puma mask. That's clearly a lion.

Totally

4 more replies

That lion should bow before the glory that is Ricochet

Holy shit. I used to go to lunch with this guy when he was working chikara. I got out of the wrestling scene eight or so years ago, had no idea he was in WWE now.

4 more replies

I didn't even realise it was him at first

The one and only!

That was my immediate thought after watching if that was him or not.

Just wait for his main roster debut when he’s pulling off 450 planchas and Michael Cole decides to mention “Ricochet can’t be taken lightly Corey, did you know Ricochet once got in a tug of war with a lion”

2 more replies

Yeah. And i know the guy at the very front is on nxt too. Althought he usually loses when he is on tv. Also it looks like the Scottish guys from Sanity too.

Actually the guy with the beard is Hanson from war machine or whatever they are called on nxt now

Nah that’s Killian Dain for sure

It's Hanson lol. Be a bit odd for Dain to be there anyways since they got moved to SD.

Nah dude Hanson’s beard is lighter in the middle and they aren’t on smackdown yet. Look at his cheeks too that’s definitely Killian.

Dain is way wider/stockier my guy

That’s 100% dain

It's Dain. There's no argument. You can clearly tell.

The hairs too short as well, plus it makes sense for it to be Hanson since he and Rico came in @ the same time to the performance center lol

2 more replies

Fabian Aichner is the first guy. 2nd guy looks like either Killian or Hanson.

3 more replies

3 more replies

ARE WE FUCKING GOING OVER!?

YEP! YEP! YEP!

I was wondering if that was him! Lol crazy

Yep, and the others are Killian Dain (Sanity) and Fabian Aichner

6 more replies

The lion cheated. She was holding the rope at an angle giving herself more leverage. I want a rematch.

Thats not how leverage works

Right, this would be vectors or something like that iirc

Yeah, aren’t both sides pulling at a right angle? I need a free body diagram

If the lion moves 1m the men move 1m, nobody has a mechanical advantage

2 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

[as far as I have studied] This is not at all how physics works. The men are producing a force at a vector oriented entirely vertically (relative to them) the lion only receives the vertical component of that force while they are resisting it at an angle.

The same is true in reverse. If the lion aimed to pull the men closer. A lot of their force vector is being wasted horizontally and it would make more sense to approach them directly. But because the men are exorting more force, what would happen in this scenario is she would be pulled forward.

TLDR; Is it easier to pull a heavy wagon with a string parallel to the ground or one at an 89 degree angle?

EDIT: Perhaps I am incorrect?

EDIT2: I believe I was incorrect.

I’m sorry but you really don’t know nearly as much about physics as you seem to believe. Tension in a rope is the same at at both ends. We can consider the hole in the wall to be a simple pulley, in which case both sides have to exert the exact same force. In reality, this isn’t a simple pulley but instead is a pulley with friction, in which case the humans are exerting a bit more force because the lioness isn’t actually trying to move the rope to her side, but just resist motion.

The vector components of the forces have nothing to do with it.

0 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Are you sure? If I'm trying to pull a load it is a lot easier to pull it with a rope parallel to the ground than one that is almost vertical...

I'm just saying what I learned in studying math at uni. Not specifically physics btw. It's not my goal to talk down. Could be wrong. But generally this is my understanding.

[Edit] hmm. So wait am I confusing my dimensions here? Because the force being exerted is coplanar in this situation what I'm really saying is that pulling the rope straight up won't move the lion forward?

7 more replies

1 point · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

It absolutely has to do with force vectors. There is force being applied to the wall itself, that wouldn't be there if the rope was straight. Where do you think it's coming from? Some percentage of the force the men are applying to the rope is not acting on the lion, because the tension in the

rope is shared by a third object (the wall). Which means for the same amount of force applied by the men, if the rope was straight, the lion would need to resist greater force to remain stationary.

It would be easier to move the lion (or harder for the lion to resist, however you want think think about it) if the rope was straight.

Edit: Thinking about this more after I typed it, I realize that not only am I totally wrong, but that I don't understand the physical world as much as I thought I did, which is kind of freaking me out.

Edit 2: Do multiple pulleys still create a mechanical advantage if the forces are perpendicular to gravity?

5 more replies

2 more replies

theres friction on the rope that makes it harder for the men to pull. Ever wonder why its impossible to move a piece of string after wrapping it around a pole after 2 or 3 wraps?

4 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

It's really less about friction and more about the components of the force vector. But yes OP is entirely wrong

Although because I'm getting on my physics high horse the reason it's harder to pull a rope after multiple wrapping is because the friction linearly increases with the amount of rope touch the pole. In this case the angle of the rope influences that figure very negligibly.

That is to say a streight rope and a rope pulled all the way around the hole (such that lion and men on opposite sides of gate are side to side) differs by one half a pole circumference.

I'm not an asshole btw. Have an upvote!

EDIT: This is mostly incorrect!! Ignore me please!

2 more replies

Yeah but he's trying to say that its making it's also hard for the lion to pull. So maybe everyone in there are equally weak.

But the lion isn’t pulling, it’s resisting being pulled. So the lion has a clear advantage before anything else even comes into play.

The lion is pulling. Resisting is pulling. It's the same amount of force, or one side would move.

Not necessarily the same amount of force, the men have a harder pull and all we can see is that neither side is capable of generating enough to pull the other with resistance and friction

Equal/opposite and all that

1 more reply

Just imagine the rope was wrapped around a cylinder 5 times and then you'll see they wouldn't move, even if one side stopped pulling. The fact that nobody's moving is due to the friction, not due to either side’s strength.

Yes, but it is far easy to maintain position, for both parties.

3 more replies

Agreed .... none of them have an advantage, but moving the rope which has such deep grooves and is bent at a sharp place (like end of a pipe) is equally difficult for both the parties. If given enough of an angle, the lion can just stand there loosely holding onto the rope.

1 more reply

But that is how friction works. Bending the rope around a pivot point at that angle means nobody is going anywhere.

Yea, theres definitely a ratchet-esque mechanism at play that the sharp edge of that tube will let the rope move toward the lion but not back toward the men, but thats not leverage.

3 more replies

Still need to be strong enough to keep the rope from moving.

The lion is proving to be quite a solid anchor point.

Exactly what I came here to say.

This is exactly right, but it's interesting the cat has learned to do that.

I was about to say, do you know how hard it is to pull anything immediately 90°?

If you think that's a 90 degree angle, I feel sorry for your geometry teacher.

Clearly it was 85.7°. My bad.

-6 points · 3 months ago(1 child)

1 more reply

I mean it looks about 60 degrees at most to me.

HA FUCK HIM HE DOESNT EVEN GEOMETRY BRO WHAT A FUCKING IDIOT

Ya it's obviously 400 degrees.

42069 degrees

Maybe 85 degrees, I don't think they're sweating that much.

1 more reply

Is the lion not pulling at an equal angle?

The lion isn't pulling, it's just resisting their pull. They're trying to make the rope move, all the lion has to do is stop it from moving.

3 more replies

I'm not sure that's how leverage works. For one it's not a rigid arm, and for two, leverage is increased by distance from the fulcrum when you apply force perpendicular to the arm, not pulling along the length of the lever arm.

They are both at 90 deg from each other right?

Aren't the people also pulling at an angle?

They’re perpendicular to the wall though

The lion isn't really pulling, it's resisting being pulled. Imagine if instead of the lion a big fat guy was sitting on a sled, holding onto the rope. If the rope has significant friction against the hole in the wall, it's going to be more difficult to move that guy.

-10 points · 3 months ago(3 children)

You are wrong.

3 more replies

Clever girl

Also had 4 feet on the ground, low center of gravity, and claws to dig into the grass

However, the angle is the biggest factor

1 more reply

Claws are designed to pull a cat up or forward. in this instance, they would be little help. Have a cat? let them climb your pants, you can easily pull their claws out by pulling forward.

Yeah, I'm going to give that a hard pass.

Oh come on, I'm not talking about letting a lion crawl up your pants.

How about a cougar?

4 more replies

36 points · 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

I'm sure if any of those guys wanted to get on all fours and pull with their teeth, they could have

1 more reply

In other words, she the smart one of the bunch.

Comment deleted3 months ago(1 child)

1 more reply

In other words, she the smart one of the lunch.

The lion said the same thing about the humans

Maybe lion should be a cheetah.

That pun was purrrrrrrfect

1 more reply

How many New England Cheetahs would it take to beat an actual Cheetah in tug of war?

Chetah blood does not make you a chetah.

1 more reply

Damn’t Dad, get off of Reddit.

I just read "damn't" as "river".

I'm not your dad, son.

4 more replies

9 more replies

573 more replies

For almost anything you find interesting.

r/interestingasfuck Rules
Gossip or tabloid-esque material.
Proof needed, and not provided.
Uncivil.