Sign up and stay connected to your favorite communities.

Posted by
moderator
5 months ago
Discussion

[discussion] Ok, music lovers. It's 2018, we've all had time to review best-of year-end lists. What albums did they miss? What albums were (in your opinion) unfairly ignored? What gems did you find that flew under everyone else's radar?

Just drop the artist/album names into a comment below and perhaps point out your favorite track(s) from the release. We'll sort through them and make some big playlists for everyone to enjoy.

Any music, any country, any genre, the more the better, the crazier the better. Those albums you can't stop spinning, the ones you've listened to a dozen times or more since you found them? That's the good stuff.

Update: Expect the bestof on or around Feb 7th. Thanks for the recs, guys!

Weaves - Wide Open (indie rock) "Scream"

Ninet Tayeb - Paper Parachute (singer-songwriter, rock) "Elinor"

Saskwatch - Manual Override (indie pop/neo-psych) "December Nights"

Melkbelly - Nothing Valley (noise rock) "Off The Lot"

Linda Perhacs - I'm a Harmony (psychedelic folk) "Winds of the Sky"

Also some non-English language albums:

<3 Ninet

moderator
Original Poster13 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

sorry for the dumb question... "we've all had time to review best-of year-end lists", you mean via other sites?

or do you mean user submissions for the listentothis best of 2017? because I didn't think we had visibility into other people's submissions this year...?

moderator
Original Poster5 points · 5 months ago

All the usual lists from all the usual places (NPR, Pitchfork, etc). They've been out for a couple of weeks now.

As for the best from listentothis itself, well, that's the whole point of this post - collecting nominations. We'll be posting the results around Feb 1.

gotchya gotchya... thanks!

moderator
Original Poster4 points · 5 months ago

We've got your submissions in the sheet btw, a shitload of them. Finding I like Nate Smith and Dirty Art Club quite a bit, still more to listen to. Thanks!

my pleasure. the Best Of roundups are quite literally my favorite reddit-thang. keep up the good work!

All the things I planned to do, I only did halfway

Totally forgot about Ill Considered when I made my list! Their album was amazing, especially when you read their bandcamp page that says they just improvise almost everything. Truly amazing.

All the things I planned to do, I only did halfway
1 point · 5 months ago

Even crazier when you consider Idris Rahman put out two albums in roughly the same vein this year,

WILDFLOWER a trio with the bassist from Ill Considered

and,

ILL CONSIDERED - Live at the Crypt.

Narra - S/T : Power Pop/Emo, has members from another great, now defunct, band called Marietta.

If you’re in need of a laugh then check out the few singles Dbangz (Rap/Hip-hop) out this past year haha

Albums:

Nothing But Thieves - Broken Machine (Rock/Alt-rock) Polaris - The Mortal Coil (Metalcore) Northlane - Mesmer (Metalcore) Death From Above 1979 - Outrage! is Now (Rock) Sea in the Sky - Everything All at Once (Progressive Math rock?)

That’s it for rn haha

IDLES - Brutalism

My pick for punk album of the year. I've seen a couple songs from it on here, but they didn't gain any traction and had very few comments. I was pretty surprised by that. My favorite tracks are probably Date Night and Mother, but I love pretty much the whole thing.

Some of my favorites this year.

Definitely Homey!

Yes! Saw You in a Dream was one of my favorite songs this year too.

Best EP of 2017 in my opinion:

Tennyson - Uh Oh! EP

Tennyson is a sibling duo from Canada that makes eccentric electronic music, often blending the line between acoustic sounds and electronic touches. For example on the track "Cry Bird" they incorporated a children's choir into the chorus.

Best tracks: Body Language, Cry Bird

I sent in a lot of submissions this year, but here's some I missed:

King Garbage - Make It Sweat (Alternative / Soul / Funk)

Jesse Kivel - Content (Indie Electronic / Melodic Downtempo-ish) https://open.spotify.com/album/7BkpMPTE4NxNB1hzeDwBnC
Serpent Power - Electric Looneyland (60s Psychedelic Rock) https://open.spotify.com/album/3k4dbVhJ7MeFnrucDcPAlS
Sarah Elizabeth Charles - Free of Form (Female Jazz Singer) https://open.spotify.com/album/1BwpU3FrKsmMC858maizue
Sly5thave - The Invisble Man: An Orchestral Tribute to Dr. Dre (Jazz / Orchestra / Dr. Dre!)
Jimpster - Silent Stars (Electronic Jazz / Lo-fi?)

(how bout them genre descriptions...)

Thank you for Silent Stars! Love the best, any other similar song suggestions of this style would be well welcomed

Nice! This is my favorite kind of style as well. Check out the 'Chillmatic' playlist on Spotify, they have a lot of Jimpster + others. Cheers.

Lunatic Soul - Fractured (Title Track) Lunatic Soul - A Thousand Shards of Heaven (Ballad Track) Lunatic Soul - Red Light Escape (Personal Favorite)

Lunatic Soul, alias / solo project for Polish musician Mariusz Duda of Riverside. Ethereal vocals, next level bass riffs and all around unconventional music.

Yoke Lore - Good Pain
LP - Lost On You

A local band by the name of Big Fat Meanies dropped a concept album in December, it's a shame they're not bigger than the Southeast Pennsylvania area, they're incredible.

Also, Christopher Bill's Half Man, Half Machine is really good stuff. First album by him that's original.

spotify
1 point · 5 months ago

Big fat lol, fellow MU?

Hell yeah dude, really good shit. I know most of them thru the music dept

3 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

Here's two very underrated electronic artists that make really unique tunes. Neither put out albums but their singles last year were fantastic. Marcioz has a completely different sound on all four of his tracks but they're all fantastic. GOLDWATER makes moody electronic. I was skeptical at first of both these artists but their tunes grew on me, so if you like electronic music give these guys a chance! Link is to a SoundCloud playlist I made with their best stuff from last year.

Marcioz & Goldwater

edit: grammar

5 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

The Eden House - Songs For The Broken Ones

It's by far the most played 2017 release for me. I'm not even sure what genre I'd put them in, but they're absolutely fantastic.

Tobacco - Ripe And Majestic is absolutely my favorite album of the year

4 points · 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

Tiny Hazard - Greyland [experimental pop]

This is my favorite lesser known album this year. She fits squarely within the broad "childish songstress" archetype of Bjork, Kerli, and (kind of) Joanna Newsome. That being said, she's never derivative about it IMO. The pacing, both within and between songs, is top-notch. She has tracks and parts of songs that are so manic that they become nerve-wracking, but they're balanced with mellower work that functions as a kind of musical chaser. The last 3 songs in particular are a relaxing come-down.

Other stuff:

Golden Fable - In the Aerie [folk/folktronica]

Very mellow folk and folk-influenced music. Lead singer has a beautiful, soothing soprano - a bit of rarity in contemporary popular music.

CHUCK - Frankenstein Songs for the Grocery Store [indie/twee pop]

Fun, uncomplicated indie pop with some funny lyrics to boot

Sunscreen - Just a Drop EP [indie rock]

Breezy and surf-rock influenced, but not so full-on in-your-face "surf rock" that it becomes grating. Just a drop of surf rock, if you will haha.

Gord Downie - Introduce Yerself This guy was/is THE Canadian music icon for 30 years, and he died in 2017, too early. Our Prime Minster cried publicly. In the 1.5 years since his diagnosis was announced, he released a final Tragically Hip album, plus a solo album that addressed aboriginal issues (mainly the residential schools system) and brought the discussion into the public eye more than anything really has - and then he released a double album of “goodbye” songs to his loved ones a week after his death. It’s a beautiful album, and my favorite track is Wolf’s Home.

too good for us

Both of these are quite solid and easy to listen to, in my opinion.

S. Pedro - O Fim [Indie Soft Rock, 23 Jun 2017]

Saga Cega - À Deriva [Indie Pop/Rock, 1 March 2017]

moderator

Oh yea, we got yours in the spreadsheet from a while back.

too good for us

Ops, didn't notice it was a mod post! Thought it was a user asking for siggestions.

moderator
Original Poster2 points · 5 months ago

When polling a subreddit for feedback, it's best not to rub moderator tags in people's faces. ;)

This Way by Panda Transport. indie pop https://open.spotify.com/track/40q0zNNjSxJRpmIXQinpMj Video made with handmade drawnings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iy20RWyDZo

I thought blkswn by Smino was a very good, and under appreciated album!

I know I'm a couple days late here, but thought I would share anyway.

One of my favorite albums this year was by a band called Lionize, of whom I had never heard. Their release this year - Nuclear Soul - is reminiscent of hard rock bands such as Deep Purple, but with (in my opinion) a higher level of instrumental proficiency. If you typically enjoy all things hard rock, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Lionize - Power Grid Blues (hard rock)

Another of my favorites was by a band called Gin Lady, whom I believe formed in Sweden. The album, entitled Electric Earth, is a pretty straight forward rock album, dipping slightly into folk and blues. Their album is actually sitting at around 100k views on YouTube, so I'm not sure if they qualify as being totally "under the radar", but I don't see them discussed often (or at all).

Gin Lady - Mercy (rock)

Next up is Ron Gallo's Heavy Meta, which I can only really classify as rock music, even though that doesn't feel like it does the album justice. There are some heavier songs, such as the opening track Young Lady You're Scaring Me, but also some songs that burgeon on silly, such as Why Do You Have Kids? It feels slightly indie, so I'll go with that.

Ron Gallo - Young Lady You're Scaring Me (rock/indie?)

The penultimate album I'll mention is A Guide into Synesthesia by Libido Fuzz. This is a fantastic album that I had all but forgotten about, combining some progressive-ish elements with a hard, stoner base. A truly terrific album.

Libido Fuzz - Sparks (hard rock/stoner)

The last album is a stoner rock album by The Flying Eyes. It's not particularly groundbreaking, but it is enjoyable. The album is Burning the Season.

The Flying Eyes - Sing Praise (stoner rock)

All the things I planned to do, I only did halfway

I really dug that Ron Gallo album (the others were all pretty good too!), and that's far outside of my usual wheelhouse... so thanks for the late submission!

"How Did We Get So Dark?" from Royal Blood.

Best song was "Lights Out".

Milo - Who Told You To Think??!!?!?!?! (Rap/Hip-Hop)

spotify

Greta van fleet: from the fires

•The Mysterious Vanishing of Elektra- Anna Von Hauswolff

I don't know how to link, but to be honest I was quite disappointed with artists that I once loved,

oh wonder for example, their first album was gold and then they became "mainstream" and lost touch with who they originally were. It's normal for groups to change their style but it disappointed.

Then on the flip side an artist "Cosmo Sheldrake" released his first single in about 3 years named 'come along' now that and his upcoming album both seem to be exactly his music and how he performs. If it counts 'egg and soldiers' by him was released in 2018 and is a banger as well.

Lullatones released their album comprised of 52 songs, named thinking about Thursdays where every week they would make a new sound and at the end of the year release every sound made. If your in the mood for childish/playful lullabies/instrumental music check them out

Listentothis is the place to discover new and overlooked music. All submissions link directly to music streams. Automated moderation removes spam, reposts, household name bands, and poor amateur music. Other content includes AMAs from on-topic artists, an album discussion club, and genre appreciation threads. Content is tagged by genre and split into editions for easy browsing. Music charts are posted monthly. Sidebar features multireddits that include all 600+ of the other music subreddits.

r/listentothis Rules

Exceeds popularity threshold
Personal association and/or self-promotion
Harassment, threats, slurs, or demeaning comments.
Non-official Channel