ArchivedModerator of r/malefashionadvice

Simple Questions - ASK AND ANSWER HERE!- January 03

This thread is for simple style questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Fit checks and "How'd I do" questions are a great use of this thread (although they can also go in the daily Outfit Feedback & Fit Check thread). Other example questions:

• Could someone take the chest measurement for a small J.Crew oxford?

• Is there a place with full measurements for Naked & Famous jeans?

• What slim-fitting green cords do you recommend?

• Where do I find a military surplus peacoat online?

• If you're asking for suggestions for a specific kind of clothing/accessory, state what your budget is.

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Sort by

Hey guys, I'm new to reddit and fashion so please bear with me. I'm looking for advice on what brands I should be looking into when buying skinny/slim fit pants. I'm trying to keep the purchase under $70 (high quality brand suggestions are still good to know). Thanks in advance!

2 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Hey guys, I tried on this jacket in a medium: https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/a-p-c-veste-howl-denim-jacket/4805698 today at Bloomingdale's and fell in love with how it fit as well as the corduroy collar. I really loved how it looked, but I can't justify the $370 price tag & was wondering if anyone had alternatives for a slim fitting light-wash denim jacket that they like. I'm fine paying $200 & under, just $370 is a lot for me. Thanks!!

picks kickers in the 5th round
1 point · 7 months ago

There really isn't an alternative, AFAIK. You could take a Levi's and do something similar with a talented tailor, but... just wait for that to go on sale.

Wow! No alternatives :( do you happen to know when it might go on sale? Like recent years when A.P.C. stuff typically does?

picks kickers in the 5th round
1 point · 7 months ago

APC usually goes on sale often through their retailers. Keep an eye on Nordstrom, Mr. Porter, etc.

thanks!!

1 point · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Hi guys,

So basically I want to know what brand/product number my gloves are so I can purchase them or something similar to them again. They're incredibly comfortable and warm and have gotten me a ton of compliments. Unfortunately, they are getting worn down rather quickly as I have used them for 7ish years. More exact details in the gallery here:

Can any of you guys please help? I would really appreciate any input.

EDIT: FOUND THEM: ARIS ISOTONER THINSULATE was the answer, imgur community came in clutch.

picks kickers in the 5th round

In all honesty, that won't be available if you bought them 6-7 years ago at JCP.

1 point · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

...Really? :( That's a bit depressing.

EDIT: Found them :D

Hi! I have a pair of Lee jeans that are very light washed that I want to wear in the spring and summer. I do not have many light shoes except for my darker blue converse all stars. Do you think that they will work together?

I'd look to grab some lighter coloured shoes if you're wanting them for spring/summer. Your current Chucks will work, though.

They'll be alright, but I'd get different shoes

What about black nikes?

I know nothing about suits and need to purchase one for an interview. Curious if any of these are a good deal? I believe I would fit in the slim category, most likely. http://www.josbank.com/suit-clearance-deals

Otherwise, anyone have any recommendations for good quality budget suit brands?

Thanks

Flair Unavailable

Well you'll be hard pressed to do better than $80 for a suit. That being said they aren't the best. Perfect for your interview. If you get the job start investing in some better pieces.

Thank you!

I own one suit. It's a JosABank. The jacket fit me off the rack. The pants needed work from a tailor, but they usually do (they were a bit baggy on me). I'm not a good judge of suit quality (see above: own one suit), but it seems fine for the price, and for once/yearly wear.

Also.... what industry/location are you interviewing for? The old school notion of always wearing a suit to interviews is really .... old school (but is obviously very industry-dependent).

It's a business finance internship interview. Thanks for your thoughts. I hate the idea of wearing business professional wear myself. I guess I picked the wrong industry.

Ok yeah ignore my comment then. Suit required! Good luck.

Thank you!

Can anyone please help me ID this coat ?

picks kickers in the 5th round
1 point · 7 months ago

Looks like boiled wool or boucle. Harris Wharf London had something similar last year.

Are these Nike Running pants mens or womens? Waist measures 29" and is a size small (most women's athletic S pants are 26"). No front pockets, zipper on back of ankle. https://imgur.com/a/x4PZg

Based on the lack of pockets and the fact that it says P on the size tag (p usually means petite), I'd say women's. But it doesn't really matter, if it fits you should rock it.

Yes I think you are completely right. S / P / CH designation means it's women's 100%

I have big feet and I find it impossible to get the size shoe I wear in the shoe I like. Is there a way around that?

Flair Unavailable

Link to the shoe you want with size requirements and possible budget so people may be able to offer acceptable substitutes.

I mean shoe size is pretty non-negotiable, you need shoes that fit your feet or else you'll be miserable or just incapable of wearing them. I'm sure it's a hassle but you just need to look for brands that carry larger sizes. The other work around would be going made to measure but that's typically very expensive.

You're just going to have to look at brands that carry larger sizes. What style of shoes are you looking for?

This is more of a brand/label question than anything else, but here goes: I recently turned 30 and got married, and want to upgrade my pants and shoes. I have plenty of jeans, but would like to get some casual non-jeans pants I could wear day-to-day, but not as formal as the suit pants I wear to work. Ditto shoes -- I have two pairs of oxfords (one black, one brown) that I wear to work, and some boots I wear for social occasions etc, but I'm looking for something a little bit nicer. Think, I guess, fashionable dad if that makes sense lol. Any ideas? I am willing to spend up to $200 for a pair of pants, and maybe 300 or 400 for a good pair of shoes. Preferably less of course, but that's the max. I live in the US if that makes any difference for place to shop recommendations, and I am totally willing to look/buy online. Thank you!

Chinos fit the bill nicely for what you are looking for, in terms of pants. Unis and Epaulets are good options and within your price range too. Incotex on sale would also be a good option.

Black derbies might be a good option for you, and at your price range you have great many options. Doc Martens, Want Les Essentiels, Trickers are all great options.

Thanks, I'll check those out!

If you live in or near NYC, you want sample sales. And the Meermin store is going to open soon.

Otherwise: pants are this thread: http://goedhartvoordieren.nl/?page=r/malefashionadvice/comments/7blhqe/your_favorite_for_wool_trousers/

Shoes are either Meermin or Allen Edmonds. Can you clarify -- your "oxfords" right now are balmorals? Are they plain/cap toe? Or wingtips? Loafers are trendy now but casual. Double monks are stylish but still not super businessy. Wingtips are acceptable for most scenarios, including business. Wholecuts are sexy and formal but not really versatile.

Ooooor you could go with velvet Dress Slippers from a company like Del Toro, I've been feeling those lately, but they're not really business-friendly -- they're better for black tie or casual or business casual, but eh in between.

Can you clarify -- your "oxfords" right now are balmorals?

No, they look more like this: https://www.zappos.com/p/stacy-adams-brayden-tan/product/8586335/color/20?ef_id=WNvd1QAAADcgaFeD:20180104151858:s. That's not the exact shoe I have but the black and brown pairs look fairly close.

I'm definitely look for non-office wear, so no worries if any recommendation couldn't be considered good to wear to work :)

Oh -- those aren't oxfords, they're derbies/bluchers. But that's fine, as long as you're not wearing them in too formal an environment.

On the casual side:

In the middle:

More formal end:

Straight up Black Tie:

1 point · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Hi, so I'm a 16 y.o teenager that's trying to dress a bit better, more in between smart-casual and casual, like with casual shoes, button downs and jeans.

I'm not sure if this might be too mature or formal for my age though, considering I'll mostly wear this outside of school, for activities etc.. Would this be considered overdressing for a teenager?

For a normal day in high school? Maybe a button down is a bit much. Depends on what other people in your high school wear.

For a party? Probably not. Go ahead.

So... Own a casual button down or two. Maybe try one at school and see what happens.

Not for a normal day in high school, I think I'll go with a bit more casual look.

But I'm talking about outside school, like an activity or movie with friends, that sort of thing.

Yeah, get a couple of casual button downs, play with them, see how you feel in them.

GQ Contributor

Really depends on your personal environment.

Comment deleted7 months ago
GQ Contributor

American Apparel has been bought out/went bankrupt so I’m not sure what their status is.

picks kickers in the 5th round

New company is still using the brand name, but clothing is now made overseas. Avoid, IMO.

Comment deleted7 months ago

A white shirt really never looks bad. If you have transparency issues, get an undershirt, and maybe a thicker shirt.

But if you don't like them, shades of blue usually work. Maybe try a light pink or lavender to mix things up -- but that depends on more details than your skin color.

I honestly don't think any color looks bad on any color skin... unless it's something that's too close in shade to your skin tone. For example, a super pale dude wearing a very light peach shirt. Another example, I'm Asian and tan (but my skin definitely has yellow undertones) so I stay away from yellow and light orange.

If your skin is super brown, a nice light camel looks really luxurious. But I don't think you should worry too much.

In terms of skin showing through shirts, I'd recco just getting some heavier weight white shirts. A lot of guys (white or non-white) have similar issues with white shirts, like nipples showing through t-shirts and stuff like that. It's just the nature of the color, it doesn't hide anything.

1 point · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

How much should I pay for these Common Projects Achilles Low White? the guy wants 205 euros ($250) all in+ pp fees

Press for $200. Those are quite worn.

Comment deleted7 months ago
3 points · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago
Comment deleted7 months ago

I mean you already bought them. If you like them then it's worth the money. Post in recent purchases / waywt if you are looking for approval.

What kind of shoes are these? Thanks!

The former are green wingtip derbies.

The latter are brown plain toe derbies.

A Derby. Searching for Oxfords might lend similar results certain places, though they should technically have a closed lace.

Thanks. Now this might seem like a really dumb q, but where can i learn what kinda outfits go w shoes like this. I'm revamping my wardrobe and wanna go for a certain 'look' if you know what i mean. Thanks!

Derbies are pretty versatile. Well, not the green ones, those are casual, but brown derbies can be worn with a suit or with jeans and a tee shirt or anything in between.

For the green ones, chinos and a casual shirt, or anything more casual than that.

There are a thousand charts out there for matching shoe color to pants color -- look those up, some of them disagree but you should get an idea pretty quick.

Fiy, some people will scoff when they see Derbies being worn with a suit - though most people won't take notice.

I guess, I've heard of people feeling that way, but I generally refer to those types of people as "assholes."

Well, idk, those light brown and not-particularly-attractive derbies, sure, they might look off with the wrong suit, but... Generally, naw, derbies look fine with a suit.

That said, oxfords are totes the shit.

Yeah there’s definitely an air of arrogance with the people who hold such opinions, though I think it’s still worth noting. Especially for someone who is not quite as adequate at picking out the right Derby.

The sidebar is a great place to start.

Looking for a pair of versatile brown boots to wear with jeans and chinos - don't want to break the bank so suggestions under $150 would be nice. I was looking at these from a local website to begin with. Any help would be much appreciated!

If you want a chukka, maybe these work?

I'm spending a semester in Europe and want a solid pair of boots that I can both hike in and take on a weekend trip (as my only footwear) to do the typical tourist stuff. I like the look of these boots (although they aren't available in size 10), but I'd appreciate any other recommendations. I know I definitely want brown as well, I'll primarily be wearing these with jeans. Looking to spend no more than $150, the lower the better. Thank you!

How serious are these hikes going to be?

Nothing insane, probably no more than ten miles. I won't be backpacking or anything, hiking will probably be more of a weekday/Saturday afternoon pastime.

Is this LV belt real?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Louis-Vuitton-Damier-Graphite-Belt-size-38/162832845373?hash=item25e9980a3d:g:Nm0AAOSwa81aTDAM Thinking about buying, but was just recently ripped off. Want to make sure this one is real. After researching I think it is real, but I want to make sure. Any help is appreciated.

How to be a fuckboy 101. Jokes aside, yes it is real but makesure you ask for the original receipt and where did he buy it from.

A little advice though, you will be better off with other solid black/brown belt. This thing isn’t timeless, looks tacky and will give people a “douchey” impression of you. You might also regret it sometimes in the future (personal experience).

But take this advice with a lot of salt, if that’s what you are looking for, go for it my man.

SQ soldier

Yes, it’s real, but that doesn’t make it any better.

That belt looks pretty bad an tacky. Get a solid brown or black belt instead. It's all you need.

How high should a messenger bag sit?

What is the type of messenger bag?

That’s a cool looking mess bag, i’d usually let it end above my waist.

It's a little bit larger though? Would you still recommend above the waist?

Based on my experience, if you let it end below your waist it won’t be as comfortable as it should be while cycling. So wherever above the waist/at the waist should be alright.

Could someone help me find this style of hat? I'd like to know if this specific style has a name to it so I can walk into a hat store and know what I'm looking for. I'd rather not have to go get a custom made hat but I will if that's what is recommended. I'm new to the hat game, thanks.

Look at the Etudes Sesam hat.

Close but not quite. A good second choice though, thanks.

Anyone have any sunglass recommendations that looks similar to the Oliver People Bernardo? I love how large and rectangular the frames are and the bar connecting the lenses is completely straight.

I need help finding a new jacket. I'm kinda tired of what I have and would just like something new. I want something mid to heavyweight that's hooded and has at least 1 inside pocket. As for the color, I'd prefer black, brown, grey, heather charcoal or something similar. I can't see myself spending more than ~$70, but will if it is something that I really like.

Cham-Tech
Comment deleted7 months ago

Drop the pattern on either. I would go for another tie entirely really. It's very loud, both in terms of color and pattern. A wine red / navy tie is going to look much better. Get a knit one if you want a subtle pattern.

Wear a plain white shirt.

Comment deleted7 months ago

Yeah, that's fine.

Deciding between these 2 jacket, both are pretty cool and unique, but second jacket is 2/3 price of the first one. Some thoughts? My wardrobe have become more streetwear with mix of high fashion. Wears a lot of trouser and jeans at time with tee or sweater and sometimes shirts.

Craig Green is great if you have the wardrobe for it.

What kind of wardrobe should I have in order to pull it off?

Wide pants first and foremost. Look how various Craig Green pieces are styled at retailers (especially Ssense), and see if you can draw some inspiration from there.

Thanks! Most of my pants are somewhat straight and some are wide, but I think I can get more wide pants from thrifting. Most of the time I see their top layer with tee with jacket.

The Craig Green one is sick. If you can pull it off, get that one.

Both seem good imo.

I bought my first pair of boots this winter(Dr. Martins) and found out the hard way that it might be a 1/2 to full size too big. What can I stick in the boots to make it feel more comfortable? I have already scuffed the boots so I can't exchange it.

An entire size adjustment is going to be tough to fix. The two most effective things would be to always wear an extra pair of thick wool socks with the boots, or sell the boots and take the loss to buy some that actually fit. In addition to that you could try:

tongue pads

heel cups

new insoles

The best solution is to re-buy boots that fit.

Curious as to how everyone’s vans authentics fit?

I bought my first pair of vans the other week and have been wearing them and people keep commenting that they look to small for my foot. I couldn’t remember how my last pair looked, but these ones the top of the tongue ends kind of at the middle of the top of my foot, rather than closer to my shin.. are they all like this or have I got a bad pair?

Also, what are some good alternatives to go with short shorts and no show socks, I liked the vans cos they’re very basic and don’t look bulky or anything

How do they feel? Are you getting blisters? In my experience you notice right away if Vans Authentics don't fit right.

Honestly I have no problem wearing them and wouldn’t have thought twice unless people said something. Now I’m self conscious about it haha. The tongue only just pops out beyond the laces, but in photos I’ve googled it seems to be much closer to the lower leg

1 point · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

I need advice on fashion.I wanna dress like this.Can anyone give me some advice on what else i could wear like shoes,jackets,jeans etc.I wanna start dressing like that

Cham-Tech
1 point · 7 months ago

Try /r/streetwear for inspo.

Really skinny jeans and denim jacket can be found at Levi's, hoodie h and m if you don't have a lot of cash reigning champ if you want the best, sneakers can be converse or a pair of Stan Smith's very versatile.

Comment deleted7 months ago

im the only one to have this problem ever apparently.

Haha, I think you forgot the /s.

Levi's 541 seem to be commonly recommended as a solution. Try them on in the store, their quality control for sizing isn't great. Find a pair that fit your thighs and are close to fitting your waist. Ignore it if they're too long. (Don't buy them too short.) Take them to a tailor and pay to have them adjusted to your exact waist and then tapered and hemmed how you want them.

Too long is not much of a problem, getting your jeans hemmed should be fairly cheap. It's free at some places.

im the only one to have this problem ever apparently.

That's what you think ;)

Don't have M A S S I V E T H I G H S myself, but I've heard good things about American Eagle stretch jeans and Barbell jeans. Alternatively, you can get a pair that fits you in the waist and thighs and then have the legs tailored.

Im 6’3 so would normally take a long in suit sizing (40L). I’m looking at buying a J.Crew Ludlow overcoat and all they have in stock is a 40R (no longs). Is this a big deal with overcoats or not really?

Ideally an over coat sleeve should cover all clothes under it. So nothing piling out at the wrist.

WHERE DO YOU TALL SKINNY GUYS FIND SWEATERS?

I am currently looking for a navy/dark indigo cotton sweater and a lambswool sweater in a light beige, both in a crew neck. I've found some medium-tall sweaters at a few places online but the selection is awfully limited. Where do you tall skinny guys get your sweaters? I'm a college student so the more modest the price the better.

How tall? I'm 6'2" and medium in a lot of stuff. I think a lot of it comes down to just trying stuff on

I'm 6'2" as well. Shirts are always two short in length and sleeves unless I get a MT which adds 2" to both

What is the best online custom dress shirt maker? I am slim and often have trouble with shirts being too billowy in the back and arms being too baggy. Thanks!

I’m pretty happy with my mtm shirt from Ratio.

based on where you stay

Luxire and Suit Supply are pretty popular. You could also get normal shirts and have them tailored.

Where can i find Jeff Wingers Jacket on Community Season 1 episode 8?

Thanks! The thing looks like it's a cotton and not a nylon, I think that's the challenge. Is there a particular style of jacket this is called?

Cham-Tech

Look up military or M65 jacket.

Thanks boss

Post a picture, no one is going to look it up.

https://m.imgur.com/a/LZoWw Best i could do, unfortunately Hulu doesn't allow screenshots.

Just found a Muji down coat (with fur hood) for a sale price of around 150 USD. Anyone have experience and if it’s worth it compared to getting the Uniqlo down coat? Thanks

Looking for skinny jeans with 6-6.5 inch leg opening. Preferably no more than $50

Cham-Tech

Hard to tell without knowing how big your thighs and waist are but I'd look at Levi's or some sort of mall brand fast fashion like h&m or pac sun

Can anyone recommend a good pair of overhead earmuffs?

I’m looking for some advice on sunglasses. I️ usually wear super casual clothes (hoodie/gym shorts/tee-shirt). I’m kind of trying to go for a laid back look. I️ was looking at these but wanted a second opinion. I’ve really come to like clear frames.

Thanks

GQ Contributor
1 point · 7 months ago

Eh, probably fine

Anyone know what style headband this is? Looks thin and maybe rolled up. If there’s a specific name for this, I’d like to know it

the headband

Just wear a bandana and roll it up.

That’s what I was thinking... mine are too thick though, I’ll have to find thinner ones

Looking for a suggestion for a brown dress shoe that I could wear to work everyday. Budget: 120-150. I walk a lot to and from the train station in the city, and I work in a hospital so rubber soles are a recommended plus to minimize noise. Thanks!

Comment deleted7 months ago
1 point · 7 months ago

I just bought some black monk straps that i really like. How can I wear these? I'm getting conflicting information—some people seem to regard them as more casual when compared to oxfords, but then I just read a GQ article that kept referring to them as the "dressiest" and "most elegant" type of men's shoe.

I was hoping to pair them with river brown khakis from J.crew, a gray wool sweater, and an ocbd. But could I also wear them with a charcoal suit?

GQ Contributor

traditionally monks are considered somewhat casual for dress shoes. That said, they're very sleek unlike other casual options (loafers, brogues, derbies, longwings) so they don't look out of place with a suit.

1 point · 7 months ago

Thanks. They seem pretty versatile then!

Shirt Jacket recommendations? Preferably something slim fit (or relative). Is Duluth a good brand? (https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-outerwear/shirt-jackets/31500.aspx?processor=content)

Duluth probably won't be very slim fit. Taylor stitch or j crew would likely be slimmer.

How similar are the Levi's Trucker Jacket and the Uniqlo denim jacket sizes? The small Levi's fits me perfectly, I think, so how would the small Uniqlo compare?

Do they have a size guide? I would measure the jacket and compare if they do.

Wow. I would have never thought of that. Will do, thanks!

How do I get paint spots off leather shoes? Pic

Is it a water based paint? Then you can usually just wipe it clean with a damp towel. Otherwise, try olive oil or non-acetone nail polish remover and wipe quickly. Don't use alcohol based products because it will dry out and leave a mark.

It's spray paint. It doesn't seem to come off. I tried a damp cloth thinking that would work as well but no luck. I tried leather polish but that didn't work either. I was going to try Clorox wipes but realized that would be stupid (per your point). I was hoping someone had a homemade hack like toothpaste or something...

To get spraypaint off, you're going to need some kind of real solvent.

Which is going to damage the leather, correct?

Almost definitely

At least you are sure about the outcome. :(

1 point · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

is buying a blazer/sport coat worth it for job interviews? (at retail, mostly minimum wage jobs)

my outfit has always just been chinos + OCBD and nice shoes and that has been fine, but I wonder if adding a blazer would be beneficial

Probably not.

Thanks, it's been on my mind for awhile but I wasn't sure.

How do I go from what I have (left) to right? First time doing a DIY.

The amount of bleach you need to change the color that drastically is just going to eat the pants away. It's not going to turn out the way you want. Start with a lighter wash.

1 point · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Bleach, or weeks of direct sunlight.

Sounds like it would involve a good bit of bleach.

Here's a DIY I did a year ago or so on a pair of jeans. They didn't start nearly as dark and didn't end up nearly as light as you're hoping for, so I'd definitely say strengthen the concentration of bleach to water, but I couldn't say exactly how much

1 point · 7 months ago · edited 7 months ago

Why should someone get a bespoke suit from a store rather than an independent tailor. Most seem to offer fabrics from companies like Zegna, Hickey Freeman, etc and, assuming the same fabric, what would a bespoke service from a retailer offer you that an independent tailor couldn’t to justify a higher cost, if any? I️ have seen/had very reputable tailors offer bespoke garments for about 1/2 the cost of the retail store (using zegna as an example) for the same fabric (trofeo).

Edit: I’m talking true bespoke, and not made to measure. Additionally, this also assumes the tailor isn’t some schmuck.

GQ Contributor

this also assumes the tailor isn’t some schmuck.

There's the problem, basically.

Also the tailor-customer relationship tends to be more personal (which can be a pro or con) and tailors can have their own, somewhat inflexible ideas of how to do things.

Found this in "Things you probably shouldn't wear", and I'm very confused now

I've been working on my style for a couple months now, and in my "All Star outfits" I have two combinations: either white jeans with those, or mainly black jeans with Stan Smiths or other minimalist white sneakers

Is "white jeans + mainly black sneakers" so terrible?

And I guess I could compromise on that, but "black pants + white shoes" is bad? I feel like 90% of the outfits I see with black pants pair them with white sneakers - especially memesmiths/memeshots. And the Alternative Basic Wardrobe Guide, the guide I've been using the most, specifically recommends mostly black jeans for pants, and mostly white sneakers for shoes.

I'm very confused, please help :/

GQ Contributor

White pants are generally weird; I'd just avoid them.

Black pants and white shoes are fine.

This graphic just seems mostly arbitrary.

These are for dress shoes, sneakers can pretty much go with anything.

Aaaah okay, that makes more sense. Thanks!

1 point · 7 months ago

I think that might be for formal shoes

Hi guys,

I have been looking around for a pair of Adidas Superstars but have only found pairs without the stripes or with a gold design on the tongue. I have seen designs with both the stripes and the lack of gold online, which I really enjoy, and have not seen them in store yet. I'm not a big sneaker person but I really like these shoes and am just curious whether or not they are discontinued or not.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the Adidas Superstar 2 doesn't have the gold tongue.

My sister has a pair of Adidas Neo that seem to fit the bill. It looks like you can still find them a few places, but yeah, they appear to be discontinued.

Ahh shucks they look like really great sneakers and I really want a pair

I bought a leather jacket online, and it looks like it's a good fit other than the sleeves. The sleeves are too long, but when the sleeve zipper is zipped, the sleeves wrinkles up to the right end point on my arm. Do the wrinkles look odd, or is this in any way bad for the leather? pic1 pic2

I'm not sure of the quality of this jacket (my guess it was pretty inexpensive) but true motorcycle jackets have longer sleeves for when your riding and your arms are stretched forward. This is the reason that they also have a slightly longer back. Nothing wrong with that as that's the way it's supposed to be cut.

Thanks for the feedback, this is the jacket. I guess my concern was whether the wrinkles would cause the jacket to wear poorly over time, since the jacket isn't super thick. I think in this case my torso/arms may just be a bit short (not sure if the intention of this jacket was to be a function motorcycle jacket or just for aesthetics).

A Belstaff is a true motorcycle jacket and the arms are supposed to be long.

Comment deleted7 months ago

It's not that they inherently look bad, it's just hard to find shirts that actually fit slim and close to the body for skinny dudes. I'm 5'10" 140lbs and I've found Land's End to be the slimmest fitting.

There's also nothing wrong with tucking your shirt in if it's meant to be tucked in. Dress shirts have a longer tail for tucking, casual shirts don't so they shouldn't be tucked.

If your shirt fits and you like it, it will look fine. Also, dress shirts should be tucked in (they're cut differently and look weird when left out) and casual shirts can be left out as their cut to be untucked.

Is it normal for Blundstone Boots to feel more loose around the heel and ankles than conventional lace up boots? I tried on a pair and I was getting quite a bit of heel slippage....

Yeah, a bit.

I just got some in my regular size and they feel a bit bigger - assuming they run large.

I got a giftcard for christmas, and i can't find anything to buy with it. Except, of course, this slightly ridiculous jacket. Thoughts?

Looks fine. It's a top coat / over coat. If you're not comfortable with it then you shouldn't get it.

I️ think it’s pretty great actually, have a link?

Awesome

Ehh it's a little odd but the gradient is cool.

Does Gucci make condoms for my magnum dong?

I'd be careful, distressed condoms are high fashion

ya

Any suggestions on where I should look for rings?

1 point · 7 months ago

Asos is a pretty reliable choice for cheap ones. Etsy also works if you're getting simple ones.

what do you guys think of these coats? Looking for something that I can dress down with like a sweater in kind of like a fredrik risvik aesthetic but I'm concerned about the fit and the formality. Are the sleeves a smidge too long, and is the coat too formal? Not sure what about it but it gives an air of formality to it, and i'm not sure if that works with the vibe im trying to go for. Thoughts?

1 point · 7 months ago

Pullover hoodie and unbuttoned topcoat is a great look IMO, camel topcoats are especially easy to pair with anything.

2 more replies

4 more replies

401 more replies

Making clothing less intimidating and helping you develop your own style. We welcome those who want to learn and those who want to contribute.

r/malefashionadvice Rules
Not Requesting / Giving Advice
Personal Attack / Insult / Demeaning Comment
Questions must be submitted as self-posts.
No Sale / Coupon Announcements or Personal Sales
Marketing
Crowdfunding / Referral Link
Privacy Violation
Hair / Skincare / Fitness / Grooming
Joke Post / Meme
Simple Question
Sidebar

Welcome to r/MaleFashionAdvice! Click here for an introduction

The MFA Wiki